Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Done. Ticket closed.

(seriously though, good luck and I know you'll knock it out of the park!)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

A Frosty Witch posted:

It's education so we get paid monthly. Pay periods run from 20th-20th and timecards are due the Friday before the next 20th. I just missed this pay period so I have to wait till we get paid on the next one, which is February 1st. It's wild but that's the public sector for you.
They're making you work a full back month?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

It's like paying a month rent up front.

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

Fill your bag with Panera leftovers.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

A Frosty Witch posted:

I marched down to HR and threw an absolute "do you know who I am" tantrum until they gave me an email address.

Also I think I can use my credit card to pay my rent.

Everything's finally lining up for ol' Frosty Witch

"do you know who I am?"

"No, Ma'am you're not in our system. Who are you again?"

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

"do you know who I am?"

"No, Ma'am you're not in our system. Who are you again?"

:hmmyes:

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
An email came in from one of the contractors we work for, a happy holidays message with a broken message body. Except it was addressed to a different company than ours. And the header showed that the to: field included a a couple hundred addresses…

And then my phone starts pinging. And pinging.

I think they meant to send 200 individualized emails to 1 recipient each and instead sent 200 individualized emails to 200 recipients each.

e: “stop sending this!” Reply-all count currently stands at 3, no “stop replying-all!” reply-all yet, but I give it an hour.

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

A Frosty Witch posted:

It's education so we get paid monthly. Pay periods run from 20th-20th and timecards are due the Friday before the next 20th. I just missed this pay period so I have to wait till we get paid on the next one, which is February 1st. It's wild but that's the public sector for you.

As someone who’s done education jobs before, if you make enough of a fit you can probably get an off cycle check cut.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.

Raymond T. Racing posted:

As someone who’s done education jobs before, if you make enough of a fit you can probably get an off cycle check cut.

There's specifically a form I can fill out to do just this and I'll definitely be making some noise cause 6 weeks of no pay after moving across the country for a job with no relocation assistance after 6 months of unemployment is a bit of a tall order for anyone.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

It's time for a feel-good story. I've had a reasonably old Fortigate 50E dropping packets like mad in one direction which once I figured out what to type into Google seems to be a really common hardware failure mode. Opened a ticket with Fortinet late last night and then phoned in today to push to try and get the RMA before Christmas, it was approved right away and within 30 minutes I had all the details of the replacement shipment, which is an upgrade to a 60F.

10/10 would buy again, Thanks Fortinet. Thortinet.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

A Frosty Witch posted:

There's specifically a form I can fill out to do just this and I'll definitely be making some noise cause 6 weeks of no pay after moving across the country for a job with no relocation assistance after 6 months of unemployment is a bit of a tall order for anyone.

yeah, [county we both get paid by] do their payroll between the 12th and the 18th each month so you just missed it. I wish you luck finding the right people in Finance (ie people who aren't already off on winter break) to cut you a check before 1/2!

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Raymond T. Racing posted:

Yep, had to do this for an emergency funeral trip a week and a half after I transitioned jobs. Supplemental check cut within hours of talking to my manager.

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

The pirate code is really more of a guideline, than actual rules.

After the regime change 4 months ago, someone who was once my peer (albeit in another field) is now my manager. I've since learned that they are absolutely not a good manager. I'm being judged on how many hours I keep my face glued to my screen every day, instead of how well I do my job. Normally I am away from my screen every WFH Tuesday for an hour after lunch to run a personal errand, this has never been a problem. They've decided to make it their personal vendetta and give me a deadline of 'Christmas' to stop doing this and 'be available for coming into the office, or else'. Their managent style is so oppressive, unreasonable and unexpected, that I'm back to being scared of clicking their emails in my inbox, for fear of it being bad news (and it has, consistently). I want to bring this up to upper management, but they're unavailable until January.

It's honestly so demoralizing that I've switched my LI profile to 'looking for work', while I write the first few drafts of my email to the boss and trying to find ways to ask them in polite terms to ask my manager to loving stop giving me stress ulcers.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
That's a prime opportunity to drop "if you would like to renegotiate my contract to take the additiona expenses into account then I'm sure we can bring it up with grandboss" into the email and watch it magically stop being a problem.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I'm working on setting up a Buffalo and it backs memories of old stories.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Thanks Microsoft, but I really don't need this level of precision on someone's OneDrive usage report

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

I'm most impressed they managed to use 0.0000005 bytes.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Only a partial zero or one.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Warmer sounding analogue storage

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Doing floating point math in Javascript, smh

Amateur hour for decades

Isepic
May 7, 2002

The backend is a rack of old Pentiums.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

A promotion came in - moving from government helldesk to government cybersecurity in a few weeks, just waiting for someone to start in 2 weeks to backfill me. No paperwork signed yet, hoping I can negotiate a pay bump.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Isepic posted:

The backend is a rack of old Pentiums.

Single-socket P5's with the floating-point bug in ATX mid-towers

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

An insanity came in. Backstory, client we took on last year that is an absolute clusterfuck (a few small companies slammed into one slightly larger small company). One of these now business units runs an ancient AD infrastructure managed by a real dinguswaffle of an MSP - we took one look and said get rid of all this immediately and shift to Azure, it doesn't even reach the status of security "hole" because there is effectively no security whatsoever due to insane boneheaded AD configurations. They said "uh huh uh huh sure, right, but what if we followed none of your recommendations and made no changes whatsoever? OK great!" So at this point we're kind of just going along for the ride and collecting the checks until they fire us - everything is terrible and broken but they don't want to change any of it so .....not much we can do.

Anyway, a ticket about not finding Quickbooks on the remote desktop server came in:

Yep, that sure is a DC you've logged into there my friend. Turns out when some MSP moron adds "Domain Users" to "Domain Admins", and then you, idiot user, put "DOMAIN\username" as the server address for your RDP connection, that resolves as expected to a DC which says you want to RDP in? Let's see - oh, yep, you're a domain admin so no problem, here you go!

:gonk::gonk::gonk::gonk::gonk::gonk::gonk::gonk:

(also "top" marks for eyesearing BGinfo design, I mean what the gently caress)

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Sorry, DC, Backup AND, Terminal Server? Is this their only server?

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Arquinsiel posted:

Sorry, DC, Backup AND, Terminal Server? Is this their only server?

Nope! These are all VMs on one or two physical hosts.

Basically there's always more and it's always worse, which is why after 15 minutes of looking at this domain setup we said "no. just no. There is no point fixing any of this, it's so hosed up we will never be confident we undid all the bad stuff and in 2023 you should be moving to Azure/Intune anyway".

Lemme just say it again, Domain Users is added to Domain Admins.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

lol a dot local

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

Thanks Ants posted:

lol a dot local

I remember something in like 2011? Or so with Microsoft going "hey, stop using .local and just use .com or net" and our AD team going "that sounds silly, then we'd have to manage slightly more DNS entries."

Anyway, its 2024 and guess what is still around.

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

Wait why does domain\username resolve to a DC hostname - does it truncate at the slash? That would be a dumb failure mode instead of displaying an error message

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

if you enter domain\user in the hostname field it will interpret domain as a netbios host name which I think will be whatever DC is serving your dns

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

The Fool posted:

if you enter domain\user in the hostname field it will interpret domain as a netbios host name which I think will be whatever DC is serving your dns

Yeah, pinging the domain name will generally get you a return ping from the domain controller (assuming ping is open).

So much of this setup reminds me of why I was more than happy to leave complex AD configurating in the past where it belongs. Like, I could try and unfuck it, but why bother when a solution exists that doesn't rely on Sonicwall VPN for remote users to access infrastructure, or external systems to tie into identity? (and that they're half paying for anyway because they have Office 365 app licenses?)

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

The pirate code is really more of a guideline, than actual rules.

A giant clusterfuck is about to happen at my job. Multiple senior-level programmers leaving together due to recent very bad management. It's going to be fun to see if it's triggered or not. Good thing I've already put out some feelers in LinkedIn. :allears:

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

SyNack Sassimov posted:

Nope! These are all VMs on one or two physical hosts.

Basically there's always more and it's always worse, which is why after 15 minutes of looking at this domain setup we said "no. just no. There is no point fixing any of this, it's so hosed up we will never be confident we undid all the bad stuff and in 2023 you should be moving to Azure/Intune anyway".

Lemme just say it again, Domain Users is added to Domain Admins.
I'm kind of wondering if the users being domain admins is just a function of there being so few devices that it doesn't really matter since pwning one pwns all.

Like, are they going for security through confusion, expecting that someone who pops the box will just end up thinking it's so obviously hosed as to be a trap?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

It will be one piece of software didn't work as a standard user 15 years ago so everybody is an admin now

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

SyNack Sassimov posted:

(also "top" marks for eyesearing BGinfo design, I mean what the gently caress)
I didn't even know BGinfo could be made to look like a Geocities site.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Knormal posted:

I didn't even know BGinfo could be made to look like a Geocities site.

That’s the draw. I just wish I could embed a midi.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

yeah, eye searing bginfo screens are the pro strat

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Thanks Ants posted:

It will be one piece of software didn't work as a standard user 15 years ago so everybody is an admin now

:hmmyes:

Yeah I mean I have not delved farther into it because it is quite literally not worth my time to troubleshoot any of this horror, but while I don't have any actual evidence, given the interactions we've had with this MSP so far, it's absolutely because "fuckshit, gently caress, this doesn't work, uhhhhhhhhh.....gently caress....uhhhhhh..........hey what if I make them all domain admins OK phew it works problem solved hey everyone I fixed it!"

As far as worst AD setups I've seen in my career it's pretty close between this one and the one at a tool manufacturer that you've all heard of (sells at Home Depot/Lowes) where there were five domain controllers and three of them were simply missing (were no longer physically in existence), and of these three non-existent DCs two held all the FSMO roles, and the remaining active domain controllers were Windows Server 2000. (This was in 2018. They were also both physical boxes and I'm pretty sure one of them was a Compaq).

edit to add: :stonklol:, thinking back on that (also my reaction at the time)

SyNack Sassimov fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Jan 12, 2024

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

My favorite so far has been a server 2008 DC thats also a CA! Yes it is still in production....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

The worst MSP damage I saw was an allow all rule on the firewall to permit Telnet (yes) connections to the core switches, which had also been EOL for about ten years at that point and running software images that were 15 years old.

"The network goes down quite a lot" yeah