Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AgentHaiTo
Feb 7, 2003

Well, isn't this a coincidence? So, um, how you doing? You're busy, I know and I don't want to distract you, please, don't let me interrupt you.

Tae posted:

throw barbarian is slightly nerfed because it relies on items, but tavern brawl monk/bear still works for the early stretch

But throwing an invisible Shovel at enemies is hilarious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
https://x.com/Pani_Artz/status/1745106765186773306?s=20

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
Fork

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Now that's what I call a geekMAN!

space uncle posted:

Honestly it was a lot of fun. I think if I was compelled to go for 100% and get everyone it would suck, but that doesn’t get you anything does it?

It’s one of my favorite parts of the game and you get absolutely nothing but a single line of dialogue bragging that you saved everyone.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

She likes Basket the most

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

:hmmyes:

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Vermain posted:

(act 3) you have to win the genie's jackpot; the most straightforwards way for most parties is to pickpocket the mage hand ring he has on him, then play his game

i bought it from him. then he was shocked i won.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Shard posted:

How is the dwarf edowin 's siblings two humans?

Reverse Carrot situation?

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

Shard posted:

How is the dwarf edowin 's siblings two humans?

Adoption?

Janissary Hop
Sep 2, 2012

What is honor mode talking about when it says it has restrictions on action economy? I tried googling only to run into the wonderful world we live in now where every articles is just copy pasted or ai generated and none of them actually explained what that meant.

MarshyMcFly
Aug 16, 2012

I also see no changes to the action economy with haste in honour mode. Isn’t it supposed to be an extra attack not an action? It gives a full extra action in my game.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Janissary Hop posted:

What is honor mode talking about when it says it has restrictions on action economy? I tried googling only to run into the wonderful world we live in now where every articles is just copy pasted or ai generated and none of them actually explained what that meant.

see here: https://bg3.wiki/wiki/Guide:Undocumented_Patch_5_updates#Action_economy

basically, Haste only ever gets you one extra action/attack, the hasted action doesn't benefit from the extra attack from 5 levels of martial or whatever.

So a level 12 paladin has two attacks normally, and hasted would get one action/attack, for three total. In non-Honour mode, the attacks are fully doubled, from two to four.

edit: in non-HM, Haste doubles your attacks. in HM, it only adds +1 attack, which is more in line with tabletop rules

feller
Jul 5, 2006

You get a full action, but you don't get extra attacks in that action. This also applies to elixir of bloodlust, but I think speed pots are still full attacks (but don't quote me on that)

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

BizarroAzrael posted:

Approaching the end of act 2 I may abandon trying to keep Jaheira alive, I don't get why she's so weak and has missing spell slots so she can't even do all her stuff. Or why I can't use a scroll on her.

Too late for you now; but There’s nothing stopping you from just killing everything in moonrise aside from the actual rooftop boss fight before you do the gauntlet. That way the harpers/Jaheira don’t have to fight at all and you just add her to your party properly when Ketheric runs away into the mindflayer area. And that way you don’t have an entire tower of hostiles, you can deal with them room by room.

Janissary Hop
Sep 2, 2012

Pellisworth posted:

see here: https://bg3.wiki/wiki/Guide:Undocumented_Patch_5_updates#Action_economy

basically, Haste only ever gets you one extra action/attack, the hasted action doesn't benefit from the extra attack from 5 levels of martial or whatever.

So a level 12 paladin has two attacks normally, and hasted would get one action/attack, for three total. In non-Honour mode, the attacks are fully doubled, from two to four.

edit: in non-HM, Haste doubles your attacks. in HM, it only adds +1 attack, which is more in line with tabletop rules

Thanks. drat that change to mind sanctuary sucks. Hope you passed all those machine checks.

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
command word: flee ing someone to make them run back into the hunger of hadar they just escaped is now the Ultimate Punishment

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Polaron posted:

Adoption?

I always chalked it up to brainwashing

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

Yeah I figure it's "brother" Edowin as in "cult brother"

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

space uncle posted:

resurrect a woman’s dead husband as a Shambling Zombie and horrify her. Then in Act 3 you can do it again (I didn’t learn my lesson) and traumatize a little girl in the graveyard.

Boooo, I convinced her they could make it work anyway. I look forward to meeting them again and seeing how their love has blossomed through impossible odds. Love, truly, knows no bounds.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Perry Mason Jar posted:

Boooo, I convinced her they could make it work anyway. I look forward to meeting them again and seeing how their love has blossomed through impossible odds. Love, truly, knows no bounds.

dead seed indeed

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
Finally got an Honour mode run that wasn't completely hosed up.

Wyll still thought my custom Drow was Lae'zel at the Epilogue, though.

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

Big fan of the very rare sorcerer-wizard beef dialogue option (act 3 spoiler).

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost

Nuclear Tourist posted:

Big fan of the very rare sorcerer-wizard beef dialogue option (act 3 spoiler).

I had the same dialogue option as a wizard, so this one doesn't seem sorcerer specific

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

All the magic user dialogue options in this game are a constant display of passive aggressive oneupmanship, as it should be.

Zirak
Oct 17, 2018

blizzardvizard posted:

Yeah I figure it's "brother" Edowin as in "cult brother"

It's definitely this. They weren't related prior to joining the cult, Edowin was assigned the two humans as his charges to teach and guide them etc.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
So I'm in the mood to start a new game on the new difficulty, are there any particularly good/interesting mods at this point? I know there's one huge race mod which might be interesting but also I don't want to go through a lot of hassle just for a race mod so I'm curious if there's anything super interesting anyone else knows about.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
For my next playthrough, whenever that is, i plan on being a dick/evil character while also not using any brain worms. I'm curious how many party members leave if i do just murder everyone and anyone for XP. Would I end up entirely dependent on hirelings?

Nuebot posted:

So I'm in the mood to start a new game on the new difficulty, are there any particularly good/interesting mods at this point? I know there's one huge race mod which might be interesting but also I don't want to go through a lot of hassle just for a race mod so I'm curious if there's anything super interesting anyone else knows about.

I'm curious about this too. I don't care for honour mode but something a little harder than tactician might be nice. Now how you'd do this other than decrease health/damage from your characters vs enemies I don't know and that doesn't sound fun. What are the main differences between tactician and whichever is the mode before it

edit: is there a good multiclass combo that will have high charisma and high strength?

Jose fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Jan 11, 2024

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

I think the problem with Halsin is that you get him as a full party member after you have basically resolved all his stuff, so he doesn't have any personal things to do in Act III and just tagging along for the chance to bone you. So he's not very interesting at that point and is competing with all the characters that have big personal steps in Act III (Which is... basically everyone). Plus, you will get the chance to recruit Jaheira as a full party member five minutes after Halsin, and she is both a lot more interesting and funny and has connections and content for Baldur's Gate, so he's not even the best Druid.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Lae'zel, Shadowheart and Astarion will always stay with you, assuming you didn't kill them or do anything specific to piss them off as well. Gale can be persuaded to stay. Jaheira is surprisingly okay with you being evil and is even sympathetic if you're Dark Urge.

Paladins use Charisma as their casting stat and multiclass very well with Bard, Sorc, Warlock, pretty much anyone.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

It's primarily Wyll and Karlach who will leave if you're a monster. This can be avoided if you go out of your way to do so (it's possible to raid the grove and have those two not leave, but involves killing them before the raid and not reviving them until *much* later after doing something that raises their approval even when they aren't in the party) but I'm not positive on the exact steps to replicate it. I've only seen it work for somebody accidentally.

Jaheira can also leave forever if you're openly hostile to her when she has her early act 3 Durge talk, and both she and Minsc will also leave forever if you actually follow through on the evil Durge path. I don't think there's a way to avoid that one.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

don't even know who minsc is lol. good to know though as it'll force me to swap characters around

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

Jose posted:

edit: is there a good multiclass combo that will have high charisma and high strength?

Some kind of paladin maybe? Paladin/Swords Bard perhaps

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
Giving you all the origin companions at the very beginning and then nobody else until you’re at the end of act 2 makes it really hard to switch from the original people I’ve locked into

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Angry Diplomat posted:

Some kind of paladin maybe? Paladin/Swords Bard perhaps

Paladin I'll definitely do but I like playing casters generally. Currently playing a warlock/bard so sorc/paladin might be my next choice

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Sorcadin is all about BIG SMITES and burning spell slots to do MORE SMITES and also you eventually get twinned haste which is nice. But SMITES!

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

"I don’t care if Biden beats Trump. I’m not offloading responsibility. If enough people feel similar to me, such as the large population of Muslim people in Dearborn, Michigan. Then he won’t"

With the caveat that I haven’t been collecting bows/archer gear all playthrough and therefore don’t really understand ranged itemization:

I was lazy and made Minsc a level 12 Beast Master Ranger and it’s pretty underwhelming. He has some lovely spells, Hunter’s mark, lovely summons, and can attack twice for 11-41 damage each turn with Sharpshooter+Dragon Glaive+Hunter’s Mark. That’s OK damage, and while it’s nice that he can target basically anything on the battlefield safely, by level 12 my melee characters have so much mobility and survivability that the range doesn’t really do much. If anything, because of the way enemy AI works (they like to wander around and eat opportunity attacks) you really want your melee guys up in everyone’s business.

I thought maybe Boo would get a benefit from Beast Master too but I don’t think he does. Should have made Minsc a throwing Monk or throwing Barb like the thread recommended.

Both my Swords Bard Tav and my Rogue Astarion are so much more competent archers than the class that is like a pure archer character. And those two are even better in melee.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

Beast master is really underwhelming in tabletop and doesn’t seems like it got updated enough to be worth using in bg3

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Jose posted:

don't even know who minsc is lol. good to know though as it'll force me to swap characters around

Probably lots of people playing who don't know who Minsc is despite him being one of the most well-known characters from the previous games. Drives home just how much of a smash hit BG3 is. Right now there are well over a hundred thousand people playing this concurrently, in the middle of a weekday (e: in Europe), five months after release.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

I personally prefer DOS2 but I'm having great fun with this. Larion should get the rights to Tyranny next imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

I want Larian to do an Eberron game.