Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

wesleywillis posted:

In that case, I was sticking it to the man even more because I came in specifically to take a poo poo (and also get my pay).

:blessed:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
From another thread... tldr: a religious group got caught trying to expand their house of worship illegally by excavating things themselves.

deoju fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Jan 9, 2024

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

deoju posted:

From another thread...

tldr: a religious group got caught trying to expand their house of worship illegally by excavating things themselves.

I've read like three news stories on this incident, and neither one of them explained the purpose of the excavation. And then you did it in one sentence just now. Thank you
https://apnews.com/article/brooklyn-synagogue-chabad-tunnel-2c03a40c9150bdf6d9d899436789d8cf

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!
The article I read said that a splinter group who believe they own the temple dug a tunnel from a nearby building they had access to. It suggested that the legal owners of the temple were unaware and didn't want the splinter group there. But I have no idea how accurate that is.

Dance McPants
Mar 11, 2006

Tunnel summary to the best of my knowledge:

Rabbi of an orthodox synagogue is real popular and gets worried when he dies people will call him the Messiah so he tells everyone around him he is definitely NOT the Messiah.

He dies a while ago and a large portion of the synagogue splinters and calls him the Messiah and there is a long legal battle regarding which group owns the synagogue and it's settled that the non-Messiah believers own it.

The tunnels are discovered under the dead Rabbi's vacant home and it's assumed the splinter group did it to pray and study in the place he lived.

The current leaders don't want their buildings to collapse and cooperate with efforts to fill the tunnels with concrete. The splinter group tries to disrupt this and that's where we get the tunnel video from.

The tunnels also go to the women's dormitory and a mattress was seen being pulled out of the tunnels, make of this what you will.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
But how's that related to the tiktok excavator lady?

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

Florida.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Looks like the airbag deploy. Probably written off.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Tunneled?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Vaxxed?

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
even worse, woke.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Dance McPants posted:

Rabbi of an orthodox synagogue is real popular and gets worried when he dies people will call him the Messiah so he tells everyone around him he is definitely NOT the Messiah.

Yeah, that never works.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4HB7zqP9QNo

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Dude.

Get your house offa my house.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

When a daddy house and a mommy house really, really love each other...

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

You're drunk, go home.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

When I was a very young, we lived in a Tampa suburb that had been orange groves (no surprise there) that had been bulldozed down. Instead of, you know, clearing all the trees, they just buried them and built on top of them. Obviously, all of that vegetation rotted and couldn't support the houses. That place was sinkhole city. I remember riding around on my tricycle when my parents would go to gawk at the latest sinkhole. I saw a whole car in one!

I just assume sinkhole if I see a Florida house doing something that wasn't caused by a hurricane

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

Lol

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine

MH Knights posted:

You're drunk, go home.

You're drunk. Go, home!

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

Does Florida just not even bother with foundations anymore?

Or do they not bother to actually secure the homes to the foundations? Just let the hurricanes blow everything away clean so it is faster to rebuild?

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
florida just doesn’t bother with those innovation-robbing, communist "regulations"

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy

Orvin posted:

Does Florida just not even bother with foundations anymore?

Or do they not bother to actually secure the homes to the foundations? Just let the hurricanes blow everything away clean so it is faster to rebuild?

Okay so get this: Our soil composition is actually so lovely that in about 60% of the state (the 60% you hear about, the southernmost 60%) we literally cannot build anything resembling a foundation or it will literally drive itself clean through the earth, opening a sinkhole under the building within a decade. We learned this by doing it wrong a lot, go to Google Maps and look at Orlando or Miami and notice all the oddly circular lakes. They're sinkholes with buildings and cars and sometimes people at the bottoms. The only way to actually build a foundation in most of the state is to drive piles deep into the earth very close together, so they can trick the sandy shitsoil into holding together like an extremely crappy sandcastle for a couple decades, and even then if you don't do it entirely right you get fuckin' omega sinkholes. But piles are too expensive, so most buildings here are build on glorified concrete sleds.

Without exaggeration, the average home here has a "foundation" that extends barely a foot into the ground. It's goddamn wild. In some places the houses move so far in storms that they break their underground utility connections or, in exceptional cases, exit the property boundaries entirely and people just act like it's totally normal. By the time this loving state sinks into the sea, nobody will notice or think anything of it at all.

E: Here's an example, in this satellite image there are fifteen lakes and of them I believe two are not at least partially sinkholes. Three of them (the Triplet Lakes, the big ones on the left) used to be much smaller lakes but sinkholed themselves into significance. Lost Lake (labeled), to the right of the triplets, is Oops All Sinkhole, as are the smaller Quadruplet Lakes to the right.

This is the lake density throughout much of Central Florida, and over half of them are at least partly sinkholes. It's nuts.

Shit Fuckasaurus fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Jan 11, 2024

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

Holy poo poo. Add that as another reason to stay the hell away from that state.

I was kinda half joking with my post. My untrained in construction rear end couldn’t figure out how a house leans sideways without any real damage to the neighboring houses. But today I learned the very Earth despises Floridians and hungers for them (and their homes).

/edit: I just saw your added image. And I am trying to keep it together after seeing “Secret Lake Park” in the middle of sinkholes, especially after your wonderful descriptions.

Orvin fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Jan 11, 2024

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

SECURE FUTURE

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy

Orvin posted:

Holy poo poo. Add that as another reason to stay the hell away from that state.

I was kinda half joking with my post. My untrained in construction rear end couldn’t figure out how a house leans sideways without any real damage to the neighboring houses. But today I learned the very Earth despises Floridians and hungers for them (and their homes).

/edit: I just saw your added image. And I am trying to keep it together after seeing “Secret Lake Park” in the middle of sinkholes, especially after your wonderful descriptions.

Ironically Secret Lake (the lake to the left of the park of the same name) is one of the two lakes that I don't believe is even remotely sinkhole. The Triplet lakes used to be... much father away from Secret Lake Park. Secret Lake is so named because it was, well, secret compared to the Triplets which were a common destination for recreational canoeing and rafting. But then the recreational buildings fell straight into the Triplets at least twice, and, uh, now Secret Lake is substantially less secret than it used to be.

I'm not sure if this was always the case, but the Triplet Lakes are not only connected, but actually part of a fairly significant flow as part of the Saint John's Water Management District. Water flows from North to South, coming from a combination of underground springs and creeks buried under roadways. After heavy rains it's, well, it's not hard to paddle a canoe north through the Triplets, but if you stop for a bit you can build up speed going Southbound. There's also a number of canals (water management as it turns out is extremely critical for preventing additional sinkhole activity) and you can navigate through about half of those lakes in a full-size canoe, mostly via canal, and even more if you're in a mini-kayak and willing to go through drainage culverts (the buried creeks I spoke of earlier).

It's no joke to say that no native Floridian sees any of this as unusual, much less a problem. In fact I'd almost be surprised if nobody shows up to defend it.

E: As for why that house is leaning, it's on stilts. Well, concrete pillars. Well it used to be. You can see one leaning sideways in the picture under the house. That's because the home is in a coastal region or maybe even the Keys, so it was built on top of a garage and some pillars so that, loving get this, it can flood without doing any really expensive damage to the property. That's the actual point, like, the Atlantic or the Gulf or the Intracoastal Waterway can just expand, completely overtake the property to a depth of up to 6 feet, then recede and leave the home habitable. In theory the cars are safe in this scenario because they, and the people, have loving fled. The house to the right appears to be the same, only with the garage at the front, which is a somewhat less stylish decision.

E2: Pic of an older stilthouse:

Shit Fuckasaurus fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Jan 11, 2024

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Secret Surprise Lakes

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

One of my earliest memories is from growing up in Kure Beach, NC. I’m sitting on the steps up to our house as my dad pulls up in his work van underneath; there’s a good foot of water down there but this does not strike me as unusual at all. I just thought all houses were built on stilts because why wouldn’t they be?

I love the coast but there’s no way in hell I would ever buy property there.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

poo poo Fuckasaurus posted:

Okay so get this: Our soil composition is actually so lovely that in about 60% of the state (the 60% you hear about, the southernmost 60%) we literally cannot build anything resembling a foundation or it will literally drive itself clean through the earth, opening a sinkhole under the building within a decade. We learned this by doing it wrong a lot, go to Google Maps and look at Orlando or Miami and notice all the oddly circular lakes. They're sinkholes with buildings and cars and sometimes people at the bottoms. The only way to actually build a foundation in most of the state is to drive piles deep into the earth very close together, so they can trick the sandy shitsoil into holding together like an extremely crappy sandcastle for a couple decades, and even then if you don't do it entirely right you get fuckin' omega sinkholes. But piles are too expensive, so most buildings here are build on glorified concrete sleds.

Without exaggeration, the average home here has a "foundation" that extends barely a foot into the ground. It's goddamn wild. In some places the houses move so far in storms that they break their underground utility connections or, in exceptional cases, exit the property boundaries entirely and people just act like it's totally normal. By the time this loving state sinks into the sea, nobody will notice or think anything of it at all.

E: Here's an example, in this satellite image there are fifteen lakes and of them I believe two are not at least partially sinkholes. Three of them (the Triplet Lakes, the big ones on the left) used to be much smaller lakes but sinkholed themselves into significance. Lost Lake (labeled), to the right of the triplets, is Oops All Sinkhole, as are the smaller Quadruplet Lakes to the right.

This is the lake density throughout much of Central Florida, and over half of them are at least partly sinkholes. It's nuts.

For some reason this reminds me of buildings in yakutsk where they got permafrost. Houses are built on stilts or piles to keep the house from getting it's heat sapped by the ground, and if the ground thaws it would make it unstable.

It's sorta like florida but opposite.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I’m shocked that it’s not more expensive.

The insurance companies must believe Tampa to be as hurricane‐proof as the residents do.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
poo poo I shouldn't complain when my home insurance is 200 euros / year I guess

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

His Divine Shadow posted:

poo poo I shouldn't complain when my home insurance is 200 euros / year I guess

poo poo, that's only a little more than I would pay for renter's insurance.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
i am so glad i moved out of that poo poo hole 3 years ago, the same place in orlando that used to pay maybe 1300 a year for insurance apparently the new owner just got a bill for 5400

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I mean, the median home price in Tampa is reportedly four hundred thousand dollars.

If OP’s house is typical, insurance premiums will have added up to the home’s value by A.D. 2100.

To be fair, that’s both land and structure, and we’ve got to assume that Aquaman will pay something something.

Still, I would not want to be betting against mother nature on this one.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

E: As for why that house is leaning, it's on stilts. Well, concrete pillars. Well it used to be. You can see one leaning sideways in the picture under the house. That's because the home is in a coastal region or maybe even the Keys, so it was built on top of a garage and some pillars so that, loving get this, it can flood without doing any really expensive damage to the property. That's the actual point, like, the Atlantic or the Gulf or the Intracoastal Waterway can just expand, completely overtake the property to a depth of up to 6 feet, then recede and leave the home habitable. In theory the cars are safe in this scenario because they, and the people, have loving fled. The house to the right appears to be the same, only with the garage at the front, which is a somewhat less stylish decision.

That has been code for coastal construction for a while now. See it in New Jersey, and in South Carolina. Houses on pillars, all infrastructure lifted 8-10' above grade, garage level walls are built to blow out with the tide.

You can tell which are the old homes; those remaining few are sitting on the ground...although in NJ, after Sandy, homes rebuilt at the coast were required by code to be lifted onto pilings.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Yeah someone's ending up underwater on that insurance for sure.

:dadjoke:

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

There was a Washington Post article talking about one of the largest new insurance companies in Florida (free link). It is wild, apparently it is very common for people to have paid their premiums and then as soon as anything happens the insurance company just folds up in the middle of the claims process. The people get shuffled to a new insurance company which has every incentive to lose paperwork, require that the people jump through new hoops, and generally drag out the process of their claim for as long as possible. Even if the claim does get close to being paid, there's a pretty high probability of that new insurance company becoming insolvent and the process repeating itself.

If no new insurance company steps up, they get sent to a state run insurance company that acts as a last resort insurance option. After the last couple of years of major companies pulling out of the state wholesale and other companies going insolvent, the "last resort" option now insures an absurd number of people.

The state has a mechanism where an insurance company can come in and take over insurance policies for the state run plan, with the professed thinking being there's no reason for people to stay on the state run plan if they're actually a comparable option out there. In what is almost certainly a case of leaving a loophole open to allow graft and profiteering the state allows those insurance companies to pick and choose which policies they take over, and those companies systematically cherry pick only the lowest risk properties and leave the truly horrific drek on the state's books.

When the sketchy company the article profiled didn't pick and choose and instead sent out offers to everyone that a national insurance company had dropped (as a publicity stunt so the sleezeball owner could call the major insurance company "woke"), the premiums often hit $50,000+ annually:

quote:

Martin and his wife, Amanda, recently moved from Colorado to Florida to be closer to Rob’s mother and became Citizens customers because no one else would insure them. Then in September, they got a letter from their carrier that said, “Great news,” with an offer from Slide. It had an estimated renewal premium of $52,383 — a 500 percent increase from the $8,706 a year they’d already been paying, according to documents reviewed by The Post.

That's an indication of how risky it actually is to insure a house in Florida.

It is very likely that the next time a major hurricane smacks into Florida the state run insurance company will instantly become insolvent because it is stuffed full of $500B worth of policies that are collecting $5,000 per year to insure houses which should be paying $50,000 per year. It is also very likely that the state governments' plan in such a situation is to scream for a bailout from the feds, because the alternative is to send a five or six figure special assessment bill to everyone on the state insurance plan.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
And here I thought it was stupid that here in Texas we have to* water our houses in a drought so that the foundations don't crack

* As I understand it, the effectiveness of this is questionable, but insurance companies and landlords often demand it

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

MH Knights posted:

You're drunk, go home.

Home, you're drunk. Go.

We get those along the coast of Texas, too. Galveston, etc. Where they are literally built on sand bars that change shape every time a hurricane comes through...

Discussion Quorum posted:

And here I thought it was stupid that here in Texas we have to* water our houses in a drought so that the foundations don't crack

* As I understand it, the effectiveness of this is questionable, but insurance companies and landlords often demand it

Oh, I'm sure it works if you water enough, but then your using a ton of water in a drought.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Since we're speaking about water in Florida, what is happening here?

Just a lot of partially reclaimed swamp?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Temporarily reclaimed swamp. When it comes to Florida, the swamp always wins.