Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

seattle's going to go handsome and hire Dave Canales imo (he's very handsome)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man
One of my favorite things in sports is fandoms looking at a player or coach who was great but is in decline due to "time is undefeated" and rationalizing it away by saying they were always bad. Like just accept that nothing lasts forever why is this so hard

Incitatus
Dec 16, 2005

The Meat Man was out of wings, Mr. William Ash More!:argh:
the coaches that were bad were actually good and the coaches who were good were actually bad and all the coaches did and did not deserved to be fired.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
Belichick would have to agree to a trade and why would he want to cost his new team a pick? He can just refuse and make the Pats fire him.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Phobeste posted:

One of my favorite things in sports is fandoms looking at a player or coach who was great but is in decline due to "time is undefeated" and rationalizing it away by saying they were always bad. Like just accept that nothing lasts forever why is this so hard

There's only two boxes, you either go in the good or bad one. No way there's such a thing as nuance.

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.

biceps crimes posted:

seattle's going to go handsome and hire Dave Canales imo (he's very handsome)

If you could only use three words, wold they be handsome handsome handsome?

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Relentlessboredomm posted:

Pete was also one of the best player development guys in the league, its absurd how well he coached dudes up

Why do you say that?

He has tons of drafts with terrible busts. That indicates to me he’s not good at developing and coaching up players. We’ve also had FAs that leave Seattle and become more productive players.

I feel like that public perception of Pete being good at developing players comes from that strong first impression he made with LOB like Sherman and Kam from the late rounds. And then recency bias with Woolen in the late rounds.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

YOLOsubmarine posted:

Pete was a good coach. He had his flaws but he has plenty of legitimate strengths as a coach. He was a good motivator. His teams played hard.
Big time agree that he motivated the heck out of his teams. They usually, played very hard.

quote:

His teams always had at least one WR that could make really improbable broken play catches.
I agree, Baldwin and Lockett were both underrated.

quote:

He could always find DBs in the later rounds and coach them up.
No he couldn’t! He did it early with LOB and he did it late with Woolen. The middle of his career was desolate.

quote:

He correctly saw that Russ couldn’t be trusted to cook.
We had exactly half a season letting Russ cook, when Russ was on the decline but not injured. Russ had a poo poo OL and two wrs. Despite those limitations, the team as a general trend scored more points and got more yards. Then partially through the season, Pete reverted back to Pete ball after the high turnover game against Buffalo. They got less yards and less points outside a hilarious stomping against the Jets. The Seahawks almost assuredly have more success if Pete had let Russ cook earlier in his career.

quote:

Schneider also deserves plenty of blame for the contracts and drafts, he was right there with Pete in lockstep. He wasn’t just a money guy, he came up as a scout and through the personnel side. He ran the scouts and negotiated the contracts. He wasn’t just a pawn for the gum chewing mastermind behind the scenes.
Pete was the executive or president or whatever. He was John’s boss. It seemed like a Director and Deputy Director kind of relationship. Pete had ultimate say over all personnel decisions so you can’t hand wave that away.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

I loving love Pete Carroll and it’s dumb that pointing out his obvious flaws is seen as hating for the sake of hating.

I love the vibes he brought to the nfl almost as much as the Super Bowl he brought Seattle. Unironically.

Back in the early 2010s you still had a bunch of coaches with bullshit dictator attitudes. You had poo poo like Schiano. Or Garrett demanding that players call him “Coach” instead of by his name.

Pete stood in stark contrast because he treated his players like adult coworkers. Part of Pete’s philosophy is that he wants everyone in the building to be having fun.

I think Pete’s early success helped reframe what a successful and healthy organization looks like. And I think that had a significant material impact to the quality of life for players.

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Ornery and Hornery posted:

I feel like that public perception of Pete being good at developing players comes from that strong first impression he made with LOB like Sherman and Kam from the late rounds. And then recency bias with Woolen in the late rounds.

So the public perception of him is formed from *checks notes* success early in his time in Seattle and success late in his time in Seattle?

Incitatus posted:

the coaches that were bad were actually good and the coaches who were good were actually bad and all the coaches did and did not deserved to be fired.

Schrödinger’s Coach

adaz
Mar 7, 2009

Idr where I saw on Twitter but the Seahawks had a 98 game stretch where they never were down by more than 7 in the 4th quarter.

Like. Pete was a good coach. His defense fell dramatically the last 4 years mainly because they just never had good players. But the Geno Smith project was an unqualified success -- Geno finished top 10 this year in epa ! He's good! - and trading away Russel was also an unqualified success.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

adaz posted:

Idr where I saw on Twitter but the Seahawks had a 98 game stretch where they never were down by more than 7 in the 4th quarter.

Like. Pete was a good coach. His defense fell dramatically the last 4 years mainly because they just never had good players. But the Geno Smith project was an unqualified success -- Geno finished top 10 this year in epa ! He's good! - and trading away Russel was also an unqualified success.

That's not a bad point that everyone's glossing over tbh. He got rid of the washed team cancer and got maximum value and then threw a retread in who performed better than the guy he replaced. That alone is pretty impressive.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

Goodbye Peter Goodbye Nicholas
From Football

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

Ornery and Hornery posted:

I think Pete’s early success helped reframe what a successful and healthy organization looks like.

Speaking as a Lions fan, I think this is a really underrated thing. There are some organisations that just carry an enviable level of competence, seemingly irrespective of what else is going on, and a lot of that comes from the HC. The Seahawks are one of them. There has to be some middle ground between "this is a really well coached and well run organisation" and "What?!? They didn't make the Championship game this year?!? Booooo!"

I had the same thought when people were talking about Tomlin's job earlier in the year. The guy who (still) hasn't coached a losing season in 427 years is in trouble? What?

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Bumhead posted:

Speaking as a Lions fan, I think this is a really underrated thing. There are some organisations that just carry an enviable level of competence, seemingly irrespective of what else is going on, and a lot of that comes from the HC. The Seahawks are one of them. There has to be some middle ground between "this is a really well coached and well run organisation" and "What?!? They didn't make the Championship game this year?!? Booooo!"

I had the same thought when people were talking about Tomlin's job earlier in the year. The guy who (still) hasn't coached a losing season in 427 years is in trouble? What?

That's what entitlement looks like.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
Yeah, changing the organization character is a big point for Pete. The best description of the Seahawks before he came along was "anonymous". They were the team in South Alaska that nobody cared about. Pete gave them an identity and attitude. He changed public perception of the team forever.

And it came from wading into a decaying team suffering from years of bad draft picks and taking an absolute chainsaw to the roster. He swapped so many players out those first two years. I think he was just never prepared to totally remake the team like that again.

It's going to be really weird to see someone else standing on that sideline this fall.

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

I demand they chew gum.

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

[I want to] shit in your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your real mother across the face [laughter]. Fuck you, you're still a rookie. I'll kill you.
https://x.com/rapsheet/status/1745416354113507506?s=46&t=4v69OlVJpK1h7pgGOGqqoA

Eat poo poo Bill

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

It's non-negotiable. Yes this required two posts.

Edit :cheers:

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
There it is. They always come in threes.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Two time loser to Eli manning in the Super Bowl wow

Achernar
Sep 2, 2011
Good thing the Titans fired that guy the Pats wanted because figuring out a trade was too hard.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Is he fired or stepping down or mutual parting or what?

I mean I know it's actually the first one, just wondering what they're saying it is.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.
Might as well go ahead and add Belichick's name to that list of interviewees the Panthers have lined up

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

i resign as hc of nep

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Gonna be incredible when they pass on Vrabes for Josh McDaniels.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Gonna be incredible when they pass on Vrabes for Josh McDaniels.

Oh it’s the usual cast of PatriotWay’ers.

https://twitter.com/dangrazianoespn/status/1745421603192615335?s=46&t=DcBXErlGIUJUj8quAgYfkQ

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
Patriots Dynasty officially dead.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

davecrazy posted:

Patriots Dynasty officially dead.

I’m glad of it.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Mega64 posted:

Is he fired or stepping down or mutual parting or what?

I mean I know it's actually the first one, just wondering what they're saying it is.

Schefter’s tweet says “parting ways”, but however they want to phrase it, based on Bill’s press conference the other day, it was pretty clear he didn’t want to leave.

https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/1745416259242434885

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
The “source” is obviously Kraft or his lieutenants, right?

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/1745424249903284402

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Feel like the Falcons would be a beautiful disaster with Belichick, but maybe a better disaster than the Falcons typically are.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

Falcons fans thinking there getting the second most winningest coach in NFL history. Except the dude is sub .500 without Brady.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

fartknocker posted:

Schefter’s tweet says “parting ways”, but however they want to phrase it, based on Bill’s press conference the other day, it was pretty clear he didn’t want to leave.

I mean, if he's still gunning for the record, any team desperate enough to hire him probably isn't going to be winning many games, and he's not going to have his way like he did in NE.

Plus, he's on a clock. If his next team doesn't get its poo poo together quick, that's probably the end of his career and he knows it. Leaving NE to deal with all of the hassle of starting anew is probably the last thing he wanted.

Grittybeard posted:

Feel like the Falcons would be a beautiful disaster with Belichick, but maybe a better disaster than the Falcons typically are.

Tbh it wouldn't be a terrible landing spot for him

Black Sunshine
Apr 4, 2004

LEFT 4 DEAD IS A LOT LIKE FOOTBALL - I JERK OFF TO BOTH
Now New England gets to experience the hell world that most of us are usually stuck in, the coaching carousel of piss and poo poo, for the next few decades.

Inshallah

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

Black Sunshine posted:

Now New England gets to experience the hell world that most of us are usually stuck in, the coaching carousel of piss and poo poo, for the next few decades.

Inshallah

Or, the Bills blow out the Steelers, Tomlin moves on, and finds a comfy landing spot to the northeast...

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
lol at the language. “Belichick’s string will be cut and he will float away up into balloon heaven”

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

Black Sunshine posted:

Inshallah

Make a deal with the Devil and he always comes to collect

At least they'll have the memories

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Brown
Jul 10, 2009

Stopped paying attention to my phone yesterday evening.

Woke up to learn Bill, Saban and Carroll are all out, with the latter 2 likely gone for good.

One of the most significant weeks of Black Monday that I can recall.

The Bears went from 3-14 to 7-10. If they had any resemblance of an oline they could’ve made the playoffs.

What about that says “fire your entire offensive staff”?

John Brown fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Jan 11, 2024