Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Borscht
Jun 4, 2011
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Faustin_E._Wirkus

Does anyone have a good source for more info on this historic idiot? His wiki is very confusing. He was crowned king DURING his service and he only stopped when he was reassigned a role back stateside. Oh yeah and then he rejoined the marines 10 years later as a recruiter.

I can only imagine the meeting that his superiors had when they heard one of their nco’s accidentally conquered an island by marrying a voodoo priestess who was convinced he was the reincarnation a previous ruler. It’s a lot to unpack in an hour is all im saying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Borscht posted:

Does anyone have a good source for more info on this historic idiot? His wiki is very confusing. He was crowned king DURING his service and he only stopped when he was reassigned a role back stateside. Oh yeah and then he rejoined the marines 10 years later as a recruiter.

I can only imagine the meeting that his superiors had when they heard one of their nco’s accidentally conquered an island by marrying a voodoo priestess who was convinced he was the reincarnation a previous ruler. It’s a lot to unpack in an hour is all im saying.

Just reading the overview it sounds like this guy's life is screaming for an episode of The Dollop.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Borscht posted:

Well the first part sounds familiar

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

https://i.imgur.com/GJfBLCj.mp4

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

The body language that says “…well gently caress.” translates well across every language.

Anathematic
Jan 1, 2011

Icon Of Sin posted:

The body language that says “…well gently caress.” translates well across every language.

The way he adjusts the strap afterward reminds me of a puppy struggling to understand how something just happened.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Anathematic posted:

The way he adjusts the strap afterward reminds me of a puppy struggling to understand how something just happened.

Internal monologue:

“Did I forget to clip that o-gently caress

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

The real question for me is if there were people on the ground.

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

They sure as poo poo ain't getting into the chopper now.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Just have the guys on the ground toss a heaving line to the chopper.

Loden Taylor
Aug 11, 2003

If we fly backwards, will the ladder come...back?

Gorilla Radio
May 10, 2007
On behalf of the Serbs, we're very sorry for the Hillary Clinton sniper incident. Next time, we'll aim better.
"Chopper 30 seconds! Hold the perimeter, keep firing. Up the ladder one at a time when I tap you and HURRY for gently caress's sake. You and the bird are huge loving targets.

Chopper 10 seconds!"

*Full unattached ladder lands besides the Sergeant First Class*

Edit: thinking about it, in my unit not only would have the unattached ladder completely hosed up our evac, but it also would have landed on someone important like the medic and/or commo guy.

Gorilla Radio fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Jan 11, 2024

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
Do they carry a backup ladder for such eventualities?

FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo
That was the backup

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Vengarr posted:

Do they carry a backup ladder for such eventualities?

In any such situation assume the primary was misplaced six months ago and they’ve been using the ‘backup’ ever since.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

I believe someone who worked in those kinds of helos said that was the school.

Anathematic
Jan 1, 2011

The Lone Badger posted:

In any such situation assume the primary was misplaced six months ago and they’ve been using the ‘backup’ ever since.

On submarines, if we have more than one of nearly any piece of vital gear, then one of them is tucked away in some hermetically sealed vault inaccessible to mortal men and never seeing the light of day. It only comes out if squadron shows up for an inspection or something like that. We end up stuck with some old busted piece of poo poo for everyday use.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
I never saw a ladder go over the side, but I did see the cleat a fast rope was attached to, tear free and go yeeting out the side of a Blackhawk as the crew chief kicked out the coil.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

I never saw a ladder go over the side, but I did see the cleat a fast rope was attached to, tear free and go yeeting out the side of a Blackhawk as the crew chief kicked out the coil.

Did Boeing make the cleat?

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Way safer but also way less funny than it happening once loaded

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

Anathematic posted:

On submarines, if we have more than one of nearly any piece of vital gear, then one of them is tucked away in some hermetically sealed vault inaccessible to mortal men and never seeing the light of day. It only comes out if squadron shows up for an inspection or something like that. We end up stuck with some old busted piece of poo poo for everyday use.

If you use your spares when you need them then you won't have any spares to use when you need them duh

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
Hey thread, this is for a Delta Green game I'm running.

Let's say you're a young goon fighting the GWOT at some combat outpost in Afghanistan, mid 2000s?

What's your soundtrack? What music are you listening to when you have the chance? What music do you hear other people listening to when they have the chance?

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

lightpole posted:

If you use your spares when you need them then you won't have any spares to use when you need them duh

"Captain, if we replace the burnt-out lightbulb with one from spares, we will be in violation of the regulation requiring us to maintain a full supply of spares at all times."

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

iwentdoodie posted:

Way safer but also way less funny than it happening once loaded

I was first man on the stick, so I would probably been that person taking a 20-meter prat fall.

Punished Ape
Sep 17, 2021

Phanatic posted:

Let's say you're a young goon fighting the GWOT at some combat outpost in Afghanistan, mid 2000s?

What's your soundtrack? What music are you listening to when you have the chance? What music do you hear other people listening to when they have the chance?

Moto Mix '04 was like Let The Bodies Hit The Floor, Boom, and Bombs Over Baghdad set to videos of explosions on repeat. Also that 9/11 tribute version of Crawling.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Phanatic posted:

Not AFG, but Iraq Vet here with deployments in that time frame. Basically Top 40 Pop/Rock/Country- figure the average Trooper is within a few years of 18, and would mostly be listening to whatever is/was popular in the last few years. 05/06 was a lot of Fall Out Boy, MCR, Panic! type music. Spatter in some old country (like Coe/Haggard/Cash/Jennings/Jones type; some female singers, too, but I'll explain) and old Gangster rap, because both talk a lot about fighting, loving, and family problems. For funsies, throw on a bunch of traditionally 'Girl Anthems' if it's an Infantry Unit- I've seen most a Platoon get into poo poo like Beyoncé 'Irreplaceable', and some terribly sung but very fun renditions of things like "Midnight Train to GA". Classic rock like Violent Femmes and Bon Jovi.

The older guys would be very similar, mostly listening to what they came of age with.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TIfjSRRT3AU

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

McNally posted:

"Captain, if we replace the burnt-out lightbulb with one from spares, we will be in violation of the regulation requiring us to maintain a full supply of spares at all times."

I hate you

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
Here’s the soundtrack to Generation Kill

https://open.spotify.com/playlist/1sIiEjNH9kBAU85YjoaZDa

Wheetus and Avril

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

McNally posted:

I heard a variation of that said in real life when I was with the 82nd.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
why am i not suprised at that from heroboy division

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
Scoff all you want LEG

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
pssht triggered much gloryboy

XVIII

:smith:

Anathematic
Jan 1, 2011

lightpole posted:

Sometimes it's easier to just stay broken than it is to explain things to the chop that he could never possibly understand.

Saul Kain
Dec 5, 2018

Lately it occurs to me,

what a long, strange trip it's been.

TehRedWheelbarrow posted:

pssht triggered much gloryboy

XVIII

:smith:

That dragon still gaggin’

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

McNally posted:

I'm going to angrily drink a beer tonight after reading this.

:argh:

Itchy_Grundle
Feb 22, 2003

McNally posted:

Yeah, this brought back a flood of memories involving a certain battalion commander.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Phanatic posted:

https://open.spotify.com/playlist/6pJ1ncbkTC9quxttK62Imn

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
I can't remember who first linked those, but whoever that person is they have that spark of inspiration.

Other classics include "going straight lizard brain while the LSWV engine fire slowly engulfs the training area", "road rage in an MSVS while troops in the back throw up gang signs at the tailgaters", and "2000s hits to vom to out of the turret of the g-wagon"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
Granted I was on a sub and not infantry, much different service experiences, but we have one social space, and thats the mess deck, which fits all of 24 people to eat shoulder to shoulder. We put a TV in there, and connected it to our totally legal NAS. (It was on its own isolated network, we ran the cables for it by hand). While almost nobody ever loaded stuff onto it themselves since our sole IT guy who set it up was a huge :yarr: and was way ahead of the curve on that, at a point around Korea someone had found one of those youtube downloader extensions. They decided to use their time in Korea (On restriction on base obviously) to download about 18,000 music videos and throw them on the share.

This was good for a while because people would put a few on to fill the gaps where we weren't allowed to watch movies, like meals and cleaning hours. Lots of Shakira and Rhianna and Iggy Azalea. Remember to Forget you being a staple.

But at some point, as we were nearing the end of this particular 7 month deployment, someone either added or discovered the most ratchet poo poo. We were in that odd headspace where everyone was vibing in abject mutual misery but after smelling each others asses for half a year you've zero energy left to even be angry about anything. For whatever reason in that state of zen depression someone put on the Kreayshawn/Lil Debbie one about waffles. Now this is bad music, she has no rhythm and her voice breaks and she cannot rap at all but it was so critically stupid that it spread like wildfire. What followed was like a week long fiesta of the absolute most garbage crap music as people tried to find other terrible music videos and we were all enamored by how *bad* it all was and because we were so insane at the time the mutual experience was cathartic.

Then I accidentally dropped a flange onto a guys head, which broke the spell, and suddenly everyone was getting furiously mad at everyone else again.