Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

DemonTrigger
May 30, 2011

I'M MAKIN' IT GP RAIN

Agents are GO! posted:

This just in, Hunter has a GameCube, super smash brothers, and four good controllers. Here's why that spells trouble for Democrats.

I heard he even has a CRT TV for that low lag.
"CRT?!? drat you woke Democrats! :argh:"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

DemonTrigger posted:

Hunter Biden's 32" tube

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Toxic Mental posted:

Self checkouts own, I won't hear ill spoken about them

Place your text in the posting area.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Toxic Mental posted:

If I only have a couple of items I'm fine using them since the stores have eliminated the express lanes (probably because people would just ignore the limits and use them with 800 items because 'gently caress you'), but when I've got a lot of groceries I hate them, especially when I have a lot of fresh produce that I have to look up one by one in their system and every time I run out of bag space and move something back to my cart I have to get someone to come override the stupid system anyway.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Gomez Chamberlain posted:

Lol I live right next to this Target, I was not at all surprised they were closing it when 6 months before they whittled the staff down to 10. They blamed theft and homelessness lmfao get fuct Target. The Bartell's (now owned by Rite-Aid) said the same thing but their problem was the same: they slashed staff.

They slashed their staff because of all the shoplifting, they weren't making any income.

It's definitely because of the shoplifting, and not because their prices are high and people shop elsewhere.

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Ask me about my STD collection!
people who constantly whine about self-checkouts are as broke-brained as trump supporters and there is a ton of overlap

get the gently caress over it, boomer

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

DemonTrigger posted:

:vince:

Edit: I love self checkout but I hate how Walmart isn't 24/7 anymore. I can keep odd hours so going to Walmart after 1 or 2 was my preference.

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

The Locator posted:

If I only have a couple of items I'm fine using them since the stores have eliminated the express lanes (probably because people would just ignore the limits and use them with 800 items because 'gently caress you'), but when I've got a lot of groceries I hate them, especially when I have a lot of fresh produce that I have to look up one by one in their system and every time I run out of bag space and move something back to my cart I have to get someone to come override the stupid system anyway.

But it's like, 3x faster, and you don't have to deal with anyone

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
The only reason I ever even go to Target is because they're the only place around that still has self checkouts, too bad they suck for groceries

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Your local Vons or Albertsons or whatever doesn't have self checkouts? That's wild

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

Toxic Mental posted:

Your local Vons or Albertsons or whatever doesn't have self checkouts? That's wild

Nope, none of the grocery stores around here have them anymore. They used to be everywhere but they purged them like 10+ years ago for some bizarre reason. San Gabriel Valley, for context.

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

California is so weird

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
All stores in my area have 3 - 9 self checkouts and exactly one cashier.

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Devils Affricate posted:

Nope, none of the grocery stores around here have them anymore. They used to be everywhere but they purged them like 10+ years ago for some bizarre reason. San Gabriel Valley, for context.

Have you ever been to the Yorba Linda Water District to see Arthur C. Korn and Michael J. Beverage's portraits

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

credburn posted:

All stores in my area have 3 - 9 self checkouts and exactly one cashier.
This is the way, often with an emergency extra cashier on standby. Self-checkout overseer also handles alcohol/battery lockups.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

Toxic Mental posted:

Have you ever been to the Yorba Linda Water District to see Arthur C. Korn and Michael J. Beverage's portraits

No, is that next to the Richard Nixon Library & Museum?

e: lol I guess it is

Devils Affricate fucked around with this message at 08:38 on Jan 11, 2024

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
most people i hear hating on self checkouts haven't used them in the last 3-4 years or more, which basically makes sense to me

3-4 years ago they sucked enormous amounts of rear end. the entire reason they had checkout clerks in the first place was because those laser scanners are temperamental and touchy enough that you legitimately need someone who is trained in their stupid quirks to get people in and out efficiently.

at some point though someone realized that those barcodes aren't that much different from the QR codes that optical sensors on phones can read from 50 feet away so maybe take some lessons from that technology??? once that became a thing you barely even need to flash the product before the scanner has perceived it and notated it correctly.

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Do people not remember checking out before self-checkouts? Like the time I spend in a grocery store now is insanely short in comparison. It's insanely better. Like I have core memories of waiting in line at the grocery store with my mom. Also the fact that it's an extremely chud-forward complaint that pollutes any social media feed you share with them doesn't help. Just another "gently caress the poor" propaganda seed manufactured by the right wing so chuds have another reason to yell at minimum wage workers who don't have poo poo-all to do with anything.

Jelly fucked around with this message at 08:42 on Jan 11, 2024

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

BIG numbers!!!

Coolguye posted:

most people i hear hating on self checkouts haven't used them in the last 3-4 years or more, which basically makes sense to me

3-4 years ago they sucked enormous amounts of rear end. the entire reason they had checkout clerks in the first place was because those laser scanners are temperamental and touchy enough that you legitimately need someone who is trained in their stupid quirks to get people in and out efficiently.

at some point though someone realized that those barcodes aren't that much different from the QR codes that optical sensors on phones can read from 50 feet away so maybe take some lessons from that technology??? once that became a thing you barely even need to flash the product before the scanner has perceived it and notated it correctly.

We've had the same ones here for like 15 years and it's never been a problem

Sounds like a skill issue

I assume the people who hate self checkouts are the same people who will sit in their car in the parking lot with their car running for like 3 minutes, just waiting for someone to pull out of one of the spots that's slightly closer to the supermarket doors instead of parking 40 feet further away in a visibly open spot and walking 8 extra seconds.

Toxic Mental fucked around with this message at 08:43 on Jan 11, 2024

Gomez Chamberlain
Mar 22, 2005

Subakh ul kuhar!
Self-checkouts are fine if you have a handful of things, sure. As a replacement for someone scanning/someone bagging? Not a chance. I only use them if I'm shoving poo poo in my sling, outside that, absolutely not, only a crazy person lets a computer tell them what to do loudly for 5 minutes while you slowly scan and bag your gear.

I want to point out that the Target we started derailing about had ONLY self-checkouts, like 5 total people on a shift, and you definitely needed the thing to print a validation barcode to exit parking if you had to drive there. You had to get an associate to unlock the toothpaste, it was a place of terrible times toward the end.

Anyway TUMPR

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
I mean we've been filling out those image recognition captchas for years now, the self checkouts should be able to identify what a tomato looks like

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Gomez Chamberlain posted:

Self-checkouts are fine if you have a handful of things, sure. As a replacement for someone scanning/someone bagging? Not a chance. I only use them if I'm shoving poo poo in my sling, outside that, absolutely not, only a crazy person lets a computer tell them what to do loudly for 5 minutes while you slowly scan and bag your gear.

I want to point out that the Target we started derailing about had ONLY self-checkouts, like 5 total people on a shift, and you definitely needed the thing to print a validation barcode to exit parking if you had to drive there. You had to get an associate to unlock the toothpaste, it was a place of terrible times toward the end.

Anyway TUMPR

You sound like an insane person

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
I hate the self checkouts that don't let you mute it. And those real fuckin snarky ones that when you push to mute it, it DOUBLES the volume, so it can shout APPLES!!! RED DELICIOUS!!!! and everyone can know my fuckin business.

I've been using self-checkouts since 2003, but back then it was better because the store still employed like 2-5 cashiers at a time, so there never was a line at the self-checkout. Now there are lines :mad:

Charles Ford
Nov 27, 2004

The Earth is a farm. We are someone else’s Ford Focus.
When Tesco tried to enter the US market they decided their US stores ("Fresh & Easy") should be self-checkout only. It was pretty good in general, but then California passed that law that said you couldn't use self checkouts for alcohol, and since they sold alcohol, they now had to have someone haunting the self checkout at all times. Shortly after they closed, so I assume those events are related.

It's a shame they closed, they sold Ribena and Robinsons.

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

credburn posted:

I hate the self checkouts that don't let you mute it. And those real fuckin snarky ones that when you push to mute it, it DOUBLES the volume, so it can shout APPLES!!! RED DELICIOUS!!!! and everyone can know my fuckin business.

I've been using self-checkouts since 2003, but back then it was better because the store still employed like 2-5 cashiers at a time, so there never was a line at the self-checkout. Now there are lines :mad:
I've heard the attendant at my local store snap at the AI and tell it to shut up. He then complained that he has no ability to make it stop or change it. I think it's driving him insane.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

spunkshui posted:

Lady you literally told us at the end of December that you would pardon Trump if he’s found guilty, so how does that have him answer for anything.

she said that last year though.

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

late crew grocery store self-checkout chat

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

lol Look at this completely insane lady at the start

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WxlWtmoTzns

Making your entire life's existence about making sure that you can't get proper health care. I guarantee you this lady thinks that ectopic pregnancies are just god's way of choosing who lives and dies

I like how Trump spends like a full minute big-upping himself and saying WOW YOU SAID THAT SO WELL, YOU ASKED IT BRILLIANTLY

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Christie's campaign-suspending speech, tears Trump and MAGA apart, doesn't say who he's going to endorse. He should endorse Biden, for the lols

https://x.com/RpsAgainstTrump/status/1745228986349748258?t=VFuefOhnZcApReoKsRSlJg&s=19

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Roundup Ready posted:

Only kinda slightly related, but my absolute unit of a goldfish died early today. Related only because we got him during Fetterman's Senate race, and named fish after him. RIP John Fetterman the fish. You'll be missed.

RIP Fetterfin ☹️

Feisty-Cadaver
Jun 1, 2000
The worms crawl in,
The worms crawl out.
the uniqlo self checkouts here own bones - it's just a bucket you toss all your stuff into at once and cuz everything is rfid tagged in like 2 seconds the screen says "ok you want some socks and a pair of pants" so you tap your phone on the thing and leave.

then you come back 6 months later cuz your cheap rear end socks have a million holes in them and you need some more

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

but i dont wanna be a spaceship
Fun Shoe

Toxic Mental posted:

Uh, No, places that have self checkout and cut down drastically on employing staff, are on the other side of the class war. are you sure you want to align with them?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

staberind posted:

Uh, No, places that have self checkout and cut down drastically on employing staff, are on the other side of the class war. are you sure you want to align with them?

I bet you only shop at farmers markets and never use chain grocers or online shopping

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

Fun Shoe

Bottom Liner posted:

I bet you only shop at farmers markets and never use chain grocers or online shopping

my crack dealer is a free range artisanal small business, with a sideline in glasswares for the house and home.

E: having the choice of self or serf checkout is ok, I am down with that, the 2 supers near me, one is a kinda small (but a large premises with a lot of goods) middle eastern place, all served checkouts, the other is a Waitrose, and as thats "owned" by the staff, you have the choice of self or served checkout, & pretty much all the staff are kind and friendl at both places.

staberind fucked around with this message at 09:54 on Jan 11, 2024

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

staberind posted:

Absolutely.

Technological improvement, accessibility, and ease of use is a good thing actually and basically impossible to stop once it starts. The real problem is the fundamental idea that everyone -has- to work for basic survival when we've been in a position as a society this hasn't been true in a long time. But that might offend how some people think the world should work rather than how it can be better for everyone.

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

I love it when i'm using the self checkout and my toddler accidentally leans on the bagging area and the alarm goes off so the poor sod who has been pulled off the manned checkout to oh, i dunno, rearrange the fruit and veg or whatever has to suddenly run over to me with their magic employee card to reset it

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

#sports

It's all happening on X, the everything app.

lifetime supply of Pocky
Aug 19, 2003

self checkouts are great because they help me get incredible discounts on my produce

Gomez Chamberlain
Mar 22, 2005

Subakh ul kuhar!
Just LOL if you think it's for the sake of progress and not cutting staff to improve the margins with unforseen consequences. We're not near fully automated luxury gay space communism by a long shot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

Fun Shoe

Nelson Mandingo posted:

Absolutely.

Technological improvement, accessibility, and ease of use is a good thing actually and basically impossible to stop once it starts. The real problem is the fundamental idea that everyone -has- to work for basic survival when we've been in a position as a society this hasn't been true in a long time. But that might offend how some people think the world should work rather than how it can be better for everyone.

UBI has been on the lips of society for a long time, I remember all sorts of people discussing it in the late 90's as a real;istic alternative.
I think its overall a good idea, that and making sure that ceo's and suchlike cannot ake more than a certain percentage above the lowest paid in a company, thats the kind of capitalism I can get behind.

lifetime supply of Pocky posted:

self checkouts are great because they help me get incredible discounts on my produce

you mean discounts on electronics By scanning them as Produce?

staberind fucked around with this message at 10:00 on Jan 11, 2024