Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Yeah, I may have said it upthread but the Frozen Empire trailer reminded me of the cartoon for that reason. New York looks well and truly hosed, and I don't mean ghost blowjobs, in a way we haven't seen in the other three movies. Something like the Sandman episode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

The top one is a conspiracy video about Shandorians running the government with over 500,000 views
I'm gonna' need all media to stop doing this forever, please and thank you. "That crank peddling conspiracy theories is actually right" was a hell of a lot cuter when conspiracy theories were about aliens landing or loving bigfoot and not goddamn public health and trans people.

But even back then, it was still all about Jews and everybody should've loving known better the whole time.

I don't mind that people have memory-holed the two New York incidents as much as many seem to, and have been sort of defending that from an It Absolutely Happens perspective, but I sure as poo poo fuckin' mind the extent to which it happened in-canon between then and Afterlife.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

LividLiquid posted:

I'm gonna' need all media to stop doing this forever, please and thank you. "That crank peddling conspiracy theories is actually right" was a hell of a lot cuter when conspiracy theories were about aliens landing or loving bigfoot and not goddamn public health and trans people.

But even back then, it was still all about Jews and everybody should've loving known better the whole time.

Especially since Ghostbusters 2 basically did the joke. One of the guests on Venkman's show at the beginning is exactly right about what's to come by the end of the film.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

We need more fun conspiracies in media about aliens and monsters. The Miami mall conspiracy owns and makes me happy. Let’s do that.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

CelticPredator posted:

We need more fun conspiracies in media about aliens and monsters. The Miami mall conspiracy owns and makes me happy. Let’s do that.

I only found out about this last night, and I’m still trying to pin down what happened there.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Aliens attacked. Cops blamed teenagers shooting fireworks yet there’s no footage of said teens with fireworks

Teens love to film poo poo lol.

(Idk what actually happened but for sure they’re covering something up. It’s probably something lamer than aliens tho.)

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

CelticPredator posted:

Aliens attacked. Cops blamed teenagers shooting fireworks yet there’s no footage of said teens with fireworks

Teens love to film poo poo lol.

(Idk what actually happened but for sure they’re covering something up. It’s probably something lamer than aliens tho.)

There's no clear footage of "aliens" either but there's an incredibly blurry indistinct video of something running along a footpath and people immediately leapt to "Well you can't prove it wasn't an alien :smug:" which should be no surprise because people have been doing that exact thing for many many decades

It happens all the time in cryptozoology and ghost hunting as well, so much so that they came up with a term for it: blobsquatch
A similar concept is a decomposed animal corpse that people assume might be some kind of monster (and which typically gets washed up on a beach), which has been dubbed a globster

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I didn't hear about that and just looked it up.

Anyone got an actual picture of anything relevant or useful? That is some grainy loving footage :rolleyes:

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

It’s real because like Dan ackroyd says, it’s way more fun to believe silly poo poo lmao

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Anyone got an actual picture of anything relevant or useful?

If they did we wouldn't be having this discussion to start with. :v:

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

tbh every alien story that sounds cool I just file away for a future story. Shits so fun and imo untapped. People gotta play around with the really weird high strangeness stuff.

No One Will Save You was a banger

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Lobok posted:

Are we using the right word here? The 2nd movie never says people forgot or didn't know about the events of 1, but that it was all blamed on the Ghostbusters and we're meant to infer the number of people who know the truth is vanishingly small. If most people assume that the events of 1 were not an interdimensional cross-rip but just a laser lightshow with explosives then yeah eventually people would move on. Stay-Puft only travelled like, a few blocks maybe?

The events of 2 might be harder to explain with the Statue of Liberty but I suppose it could be a new and improved version of the same trick as Stay-Puft especially if they were thought to use hallucinogenic gases on people.

No we've got it right - 2's setup is the equivalent of most people in the metropolitan area thinking planes crashing into WTC were holograms it's why I made the comparison to Truthers. Truthers accept something occurred but reject the obvious in favor of ridiculous conspiracies.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Sure but "memory hole" sounds like an event was completely forgotten, not that the cause or people responsible is denied.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Stay-Puff was in existence for all of 5 minutes after which the only remains were a truly staggering amount of marshmallow goo which fell from the sky (i.e: the rooftop where the Ghostbusters were at that moment.) All anyone knew about the Ghostbusters was they went in and up the rooftop, there were a lot of lasers, and then a marshmallow man walked down the street. (and I feel like, if anything, it being a popular cartoon mascot probably makes it LESS believable.) As far as we know there were no deaths tied to it. "The Ghostbusters were extremely good conmen who tricked an entire city with obvious lies" is more plausible than "Ghosts exist but conveniently vanished after the Ghostbusters got in trouble."

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

been watching the cartoon again, and I really love "Cry Uncle" where Egon's stuffy uncle guilts him into giving up Ghostbusting. That's a fun episode. Egon's uncle straight-up thinks he's full of poo poo and gets shown that ghosts are real.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Lobok posted:

Sure but "memory hole" sounds like an event was completely forgotten, not that the cause or people responsible is denied.

In Ghostbusters Afterlife none of the characters under the age of 30 had ever heard of the Ghostbusters, including a kid who was the granddaughter of a Ghostbuster and still had the same surname. There was some chatter on the internet but I guess it was never mentioned at all on TV or referenced in pop culture where a kid might hear about it. "Memoryholed" is an apt phrase for that.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

In Ghostbusters Afterlife none of the characters under the age of 30 had ever heard of the Ghostbusters, including a kid who was the granddaughter of a Ghostbuster and still had the same surname. There was some chatter on the internet but I guess it was never mentioned at all on TV or referenced in pop culture where a kid might hear about it. "Memoryholed" is an apt phrase for that.

Afterlife maybe but GB2 was part of the same convo.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

The thing I struggle to 'get' with these movies, or at least the first one, is why is getting the job considered a hassle? Why were there only 3 guys when Winston joins, despite them being huge celebrities, and he joins from a newspaper ad. Call them the equivalent of exterminators all you want, they were still famous and very busy.

Janine asks the questions as if she'd asked them a hundred times before to different applicants, but the moment she introduces him to Peter and Ray, Ray just hires him on the spot, like he was the only one who ever bothered to apply, which brings me to my first issue mentioned above.

It just seems weird. But whatecee, it's a movie. The timeline doesn't even work, so I guess I'm not surprised that this sort of thing was written and/or edited to come out like this.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The thing I struggle to 'get' with these movies, or at least the first one, is why is getting the job considered a hassle? Why were there only 3 guys when Winston joins, despite them being huge celebrities, and he joins from a newspaper ad. Call them the equivalent of exterminators all you want, they were still famous and very busy.

Janine asks the questions as if she'd asked them a hundred times before to different applicants, but the moment she introduces him to Peter and Ray, Ray just hires him on the spot, like he was the only one who ever bothered to apply, which brings me to my first issue mentioned above.

It just seems weird. But whatecee, it's a movie. The timeline doesn't even work, so I guess I'm not surprised that this sort of thing was written and/or edited to come out like this.

I got the impression they were more of a curiosity than a genuinely famous thing. "Oh wow, these guys are busting ghosts" was treated as a fluff local interest piece sort of thing rather than the actual breaking headline news "3 schlubby white dudes prove the existence of the afterlife!" I imagine 99% of the resumes they got were from people who made Ray look level-headed and down to Earth.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

The in-movie reason to me is that they had only just recently put out the ad for help. The first time we see that the job is grinding them down is that very scene when Winston joins.

And there was likely more to the interview process that eliminated other candidates (by their choice or the Ghostbusters') before Peter & Ray happened to walk in when Winston was there and bypass the whole thing because they needed just any random, average person to share the load.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

Right after the "steady paycheck*" line Ray and Peter walk in slimed. Ray says he needs sleep and Peter says he looks crappy. I guess they are desperate at that point from being so busy.

*this is the line I quote most often. It's my way of telling my self idgaf so long as I'm getting paid.

gregday
May 23, 2003

Because it’s a comedy.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

It’s not a comedy it’s a drama that makes me weep when I see the corpse of a dead man float around

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord

CelticPredator posted:

It’s not a comedy it’s a drama that makes me weep when I see the corpse of a dead man float around

So true

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Also Winston's role in the first half of the script was massively cut down so there was no doubt more stuff about him starting at the company in the early drafts which gradually got pared away

90sgamer
Jun 28, 2023
fuck off worms butthole guy!!!

egon_beeblebrox posted:

My late granddad believed that the Twin Towers didn't actually exist by the time he died. So people pretending Stay Puft never happened would happen in a second.

Most Americans have already forgotten about the entirety of 2020

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

gregday posted:

Because it’s a comedy.

Nah, that's weak. Come on.

If anything, it's because Ghostbusters is a weird, stitched together, mess that works in spite of itself and runs 80% on charisma. It's pacing and tone are all over the place.

Infact, I think that's maybe Afterlife's problem as much as anything - Paul Rudd is charismatic, but he's like 25% of a Murray, maybe 40% of an Ackaroyd.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

90sgamer posted:

Most Americans have already forgotten about the entirety of 2020

LOL no they have not. What an absolutely insane thing to say.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

LOL no they have not. What an absolutely insane thing to say.

I think that post was a sarcastic dig on how many people are pretending that covid isn't a thing anymore.

Edit: likely a new, full trailer tomorrow.

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Jan 11, 2024

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
No trailer, just a lot of promo shots on the Empire mag's insta *so far*

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

No trailer, just a lot of promo shots on the Empire mag's insta *so far*

There's some murmuring about the trailer coming out next week, likely on Thursday.

Also, there are some more shots out there, other than the Empire magazine covers. One of them shows Grooberson in a winter jacket and shorts, because of course he'd wear that.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I like the photo that shows the basement from the other direction.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Janine's gonna bust some ghosts.

roffels
Jul 27, 2004

Yo Taxi!

AndyElusive posted:

yeah but why?

Guessing Rick Moranis turned down the 4th "old ghostbuster" role.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Louis Tully is canonically afraid of ghosts which has always put his status as a true Ghostbuster as tenuous at best. Janine’s feelings toward ghosts is ambiguous beyond potentially having low level psychic abilities which give her feelings of dread when her loved ones are in danger.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
Man, I don't even want to see the Stranger Things kid in Stranger Things.

gregday
May 23, 2003

AndyElusive posted:

Lmao that Ernie Hudson head comp.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
As much as I'd love to see Louis Tully return, I totally understand and massively respect Rick Moranis for keeping his priorities straight. Leaving Hollywood and the money behind to raise his kids as a single dad was an real character move.

However I nut my in my jumpsuit if there was a post-credit scene where Louis picks up a phone call from Winston with a question about taxes. :pray:

Beachcomber posted:

Man, I don't even want to see the Stranger Things kid in Stranger Things.
Ghostbusters exists in Stranger Things. If there's any evidence that Stranger Things exists in Ghostbusters: Frozen Empire there could be a singularity that collapses and deletes Finn Wolfhard from the universe.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

deoju posted:

As much as I'd love to see Louis Tully return, I totally understand and massively respect Rick Moranis for keeping his priorities straight. Leaving Hollywood and the money behind to raise his kids as a single dad was a real character move.

I agree that prioritizing your kids is a huge character move, but his kids are now in their 30s so that reasoning makes less sense.

I mean it’s his life and he can absolutely do whatever he wants, but I think the “I’m prioritizing my kids” ship has sailed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Finn Wolfhard’s problem is people keep casting him as Mike from stranger things and not Richie from It.

He was fantastic in that movie