Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
They made a change somewhat recently that I can get suns games straight off antenna which is nice but trying to watch the coyotes is a nightmare

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

Thanks for reminding me to request credit line increases goons, I haven’t done that poo poo in a couple years and now I have an extra $5k of credit that I’ll never use.

This is the dumbest poo poo ever lol.

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!

Modal Auxiliary posted:

Thanks for reminding me to request credit line increases goons, I haven’t done that poo poo in a couple years and now I have an extra $5k of credit that I’ll never use.

This is the dumbest poo poo ever lol.

That's a myth too. Increasing your limit has a negative impact on your debt-to-income calculation and a positive impact on your credit utilization. Unless your utilization is high (either from carrying a balance or because your limit is very low), the overall impact on your credit score will be to lower it.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

mawarannahr posted:

Google Chrome with me,
Google Chrome before me,
Google Chrome behind me,
Google Chrome in me,
Google Chrome beneath me,
Google Chrome above me,
Google Chrome on my right,
Google Chrome on my left,
Google Chrome when I lie down,
Google Chrome when I sit down,
Google Chrome when I arise,
Google Chrome in the heart of every man who thinks of me,
Google Chrome in the mouth of everyone who speaks of me,
Google Chrome in every eye that sees me,
Google Chrome in every ear that hears me.

Reminded me of this for some weird reason :lol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mqz5o2GUSG8

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Atopian posted:

Long ago I was a weirdo for using NoScript because it made normal internet browsing significantly more annoying with its whitelisting and broken functions.

Nowadays it seems like all that would be significantly less annoying than what normal websites routinely do.

Sure, for example I have to click and select to get a video to play or a popup to pop, but equally there aren't any videos playing or popups happening *unless* I do that, including ads.

It isn't way too many websites are designed in a way that even if you have noscript automatically whitelist the site you're on they'll be requesting poo poo from elsewhere to the point where the site will break if you use it.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
I work for an airline and noscript/ad blocker break the hell out of our website and we don’t even serve any ads

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Cerekk posted:

That's a myth too. Increasing your limit has a negative impact on your debt-to-income calculation and a positive impact on your credit utilization. Unless your utilization is high (either from carrying a balance or because your limit is very low), the overall impact on your credit score will be to lower it.

I just did some casual searching and that doesn't seem to be true. If you don't take on more debt how would it affect the calculation for debt to income? The only thing that the three websites I visited said would hurt is if it is a hard pull from the issuer.

Kaiju15
Jul 25, 2013

mawarannahr posted:

Related to this, if you are on Safari on iOS or macOS; highly recommend stopthemadness. It also ships with a Firefox and chrome extension on macOS.

Here's just some of what it can do on iOS:
StopTheMadness on iOS

I may have even heard of some people bypassing focus detectors on job application evaluations/tests using this...

That looks awesome. Is there something similar I can get for Windows?

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Cerekk posted:

You guys should stop giving out bad credit advice. That can seriously hurt people.

https://www.experian.com/blogs/ask-experian/what-is-debt-to-credit-ratio/

quote:

How much you owe on your debt accounts, including loans and credit cards, makes up 30% of your FICO® Score, and your debt-to-credit ratio is an influential factor in that category. As a result, carrying high balances on your credit cards can have a significant negative impact on your credit score.

I understand it's confusing and essentially mystical and really really dumb. But it's a pretty loving huge lifelong concern for Americans.

Pennywise the Frown fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Jan 10, 2024

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Just pay cash for everything!

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

BRB off to buy a house with a big burlap sack with a dollar sign painted on the side.

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!

Pennywise the Frown posted:

You guys should stop giving out bad credit advice. That can seriously hurt people.

https://www.experian.com/blogs/ask-experian/what-is-debt-to-credit-ratio/

I understand it's confusing and essentially mystical and really really dumb. But it's a pretty loving huge lifelong concern for Americans.

That article is about credit utilization. If your credit utilization is high you should pay off your credit cards, not increase your credit limit.

More like poundfoolish the frown.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Cerekk posted:

That article is about credit utilization. If your credit utilization is high you should pay off your credit cards, not increase your credit limit.

By increasing your credit limit you automatically lower your credit utilization if you make no changes.

If I have a credit card with a limit of $200 and I spend $100 every month, I'm using 50% of my credit which looks bad to creditors.

If I have a credit card with a limit of $10,000 and I spend $100 every month, I'm using 1% of my credit which looks much better and more responsible to creditors.

quote:

More like poundfoolish the frown.

Why.... I never! <:mad:>

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
Yeah I assumed the advice for "increase your credit limit just because" implies that you don't add further balance to the account, since you're trying to optimize the balance/limit ratio

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!

Pennywise the Frown posted:

By increasing your credit limit you automatically lower your credit utilization if you make no changes.

If I have a credit card with a limit of $200 and I spend $100 every month, I'm using 50% of my credit which looks bad to creditors.

If I have a credit card with a limit of $10,000 and I spend $100 every month, I'm using 1% of my credit which looks much better and more responsible to creditors.

Why.... I never! <:mad:>

Ok but if you have $10,000 in available credit and spend $100 a month, your utilization is already low enough that it won't be improved, whereas increasing your limit increases your risk profile to a loan officer that sees potential debt that can be converted to real debt instantaneously. For people with high utilization, yeah maybe a higher limit will help them as the denominator of the fraction, but most people with high utilization will just max out the new limit too.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Cerekk posted:

Ok but if you have $10,000 in available credit and spend $100 a month, your utilization is already low enough that it won't be improved

I exaggerated the numbers to make it more clear. Every single tiny thing helps. To what extent, who knows?

Cerekk posted:

whereas increasing your limit increases your risk profile to a loan officer that sees potential debt that can be converted to real debt instantaneously.

This is purely hypothetical and completely up to the consumer's personal choices. If a loan officer targets people due to that, well that's just the lovely financial game that has existed as long as money has. Don't take out loans that are purposefully advertised to you. That's a personal responsibility thing akin to responding to a nigerian prince's email. Absolute basic financial skills.

Cerekk posted:

people with high utilization, yeah maybe a higher limit will help them as the denominator of the fraction, but most people with high utilization will just max out the new limit too.

Again, 100% personal responsibility. If you HAVE to spend more money because it's available to you, then you're just a loving idiot. That has nothing to do with how credit scores work.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
The last two pages of this thread will be presented as evidence at either a future Truth and Reconciliation Commission or a crimes against humanity trial.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Rochallor posted:

The last two pages of this thread will be presented as evidence at either a future Truth and Reconciliation Commission or a crimes against humanity trial.

In conclusion, credit scores are something that has gotten shittier.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

wash bucket posted:

BRB off to buy a house with a big burlap sack with a dollar sign painted on the side.

Lol you want me to believe a goon can afford to pay cash for a house?

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.

wash bucket posted:

The guy my father sold his house to in a recent move did this.
Fresh back from years in Japan, no credit history, no ability to get a mortgage, so he had to settle for a smaller than expected place and a cash purchase.

Waste of Breath
Dec 30, 2021

I only know🧠 one1️⃣ thing🪨: I😡 want😤 to 🔪kill☠️… 😈Chaos😱… I need🥵 to. [TIME⏰ TO DIE☠️]
:same:
I know this has been discussed ad nauseum but I just have to add to how completely stupid it is.

New Toyota comes with subscription service for remote start, whatever. Mine expired and it was bitterly cold here so I figure what the hell, I'll spend $15 and cancel it (the app actually lets you pay without it being a recurring charge which is... At least something even if that bar is on the floor), cheaper than having a remote start installed and I get through this cold snap on a bit of comfort.

First hurdle. Gotta pair my phone app to the car to prove my ownership and activate it, so I gotta go out in the cold anyway. Never mind that I already HAD access with the free trial that expired.

Second hurdle, I gotta take a picture of a QR code on the screen to link it. Never loads. "waiting for app". Call Toyota, on hold for 10 min, turns out that you can hit the emergency alert button and say "remote connect" and they'll activate it without any app fuckery. The lady said it may take up to 24 hours to activate(!) but I immediately had access so I think that was just for boomers.

So I pull up the app and...

Come the gently caress on.

E: fixed image and no I won't be keeping it

Waste of Breath fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Jan 11, 2024

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Everything is getting worse at a faster rate

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

Waste of Breath posted:

It was a mistake for Apple and Google to open the push notification API to things other than messaging apps.

And whatever other legitimate obvious use case I’ve forgotten, just to head that off at the pass.

Waste of Breath
Dec 30, 2021

I only know🧠 one1️⃣ thing🪨: I😡 want😤 to 🔪kill☠️… 😈Chaos😱… I need🥵 to. [TIME⏰ TO DIE☠️]
I can't even run android auto without a map app open!! The screen is split, there is no way to not have my travels tracked! (I know they are anyway!)

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost
I actually pulled the stereo from my truck and put the factory one back in because I wanted navigation that was not Carplay/Android Auto

I also stopped wearing my Apple Watch; i couldnt think of a single thing I wanted to be notified about bad enough to wear a second cell phone on my wrist. Plus the fitness tracking (on the 6 series anyway) was pretty weak. It started to feel like a scold I wore that I had to charge every day.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

L'il Debbie's Snacks

Those Oatmeal Pies are just not the same.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

redshirt posted:

L'il Debbie's Snacks

Swiss cake rolls are still good, imo

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
Check your gas station or grocery store for a little Mexican section with a bunch of bimbo bakery stuff and grab one of these instead

E: not the same texture or cream filling at all, but I find that it scratches the same itch of a sweet carb bomb. Even though they're from a commercial bakery, they're so much better than what snack cakes have become

Sentient Data fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Jan 11, 2024

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

Nutty bars are cardboard garbage poo poo these days also.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Waste of Breath posted:

This poo poo right here is why I bought a Honda after driving a Toyota for 13 years. I can't believe how badly they hosed this up. Honda isn't perfect either but at least the remote starter is just a button on the key.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

redshirt posted:

L'il Debbie's Snacks

I'm convinced drake fruit pies have less filling then they use to (use to being like 30 years a go whenever I learned to swim).

edit: barbecue twist fritos are still good though.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Jan 11, 2024

Waste of Breath
Dec 30, 2021

Vampire Panties posted:

I actually pulled the stereo from my truck and put the factory one back in because I wanted navigation that was not Carplay/Android Auto

My previous car was old enough that I thought I was just upgrading to nice things. The multimedia stuff in this rav4 is the screen so I don't think that's even an option anymore? It's admittedly not something I've googled or realized until now.

bossy lady
Jul 9, 1983

Waste of Breath posted:

I know this has been discussed ad nauseum but I just have to add to how completely stupid it is.

New Toyota comes with subscription service for remote start, whatever. Mine expired and it was bitterly cold here so I figure what the hell, I'll spend $15 and cancel it (the app actually lets you pay without it being a recurring charge which is... At least something even if that bar is on the floor), cheaper than having a remote start installed and I get through this cold snap on a bit of comfort.

First hurdle. Gotta pair my phone app to the car to prove my ownership and activate it, so I gotta go out in the cold anyway. Never mind that I already HAD access with the free trial that expired.

Second hurdle, I gotta take a picture of a QR code on the screen to link it. Never loads. "waiting for app". Call Toyota, on hold for 10 min, turns out that you can hit the emergency alert button and say "remote connect" and they'll activate it without any app fuckery. The lady said it may take up to 24 hours to activate(!) but I immediately had access so I think that was just for boomers.

Did you name your car "Nichijou"

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
You know what sucks about the self checkout thing, is that they're all just plopped in the spot where cashiers used to be, which results in chaotic lines with no system. You didn't have lines in the old days because there were so many cashiers. Now with but a single cashier and a single checkout hub, you have two lines, but there's no line indicator. People just sort of move into the blob, ask if this is the line, get confused shrugs from everyone else, and they just sort of... ooze into the hub. I loving hate it. I need clear indicators. I've been to jail, I have jail ptsd and if I see a motherfucker cut in line, I don't ever wish violence upon them but I get frustrated when they're not stabbed for it.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Waste of Breath posted:

The fact that a feature of your car can be a subscription service at all is the real problem here.

One-Eyed Willy
Jan 11, 2024
Digital Privacy is literally nonexistent these days.

Everybody wants your data.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Sentient Data posted:

Check your gas station or grocery store for a little Mexican section with a bunch of bimbo bakery stuff and grab one of these instead

E: not the same texture or cream filling at all, but I find that it scratches the same itch of a sweet carb bomb. Even though they're from a commercial bakery, they're so much better than what snack cakes have become

They also own many fresh bread and sweet baked goods brands in the United States, including Entenmann's, Sara Lee, and Thomas'.[5]

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay
I have one of those remote start via phone cars, Mazda.

My free service runs out soonish, but I may pay money for it, I think it's like $45 a year or something.

It's to pay for the cell chip service or whatever that can connect to your phone, I can remote start from wherever I am and it lets me lock the doors if my wife forgot to when she borrowed it.

The heated seat subscriptions have no excuse though and I'm sad I can't set my temps for stuff or do window things with my remote start app.

shazbot
Sep 20, 2004
Ah, hon, ya got arby's all over my acoustic wave machine.

Quaint Quail Quilt posted:

I have one of those remote start via phone cars, Mazda.

My free service runs out soonish, but I may pay money for it, I think it's like $45 a year or something.

It's to pay for the cell chip service or whatever that can connect to your phone, I can remote start from wherever I am and it lets me lock the doors if my wife forgot to when she borrowed it.

The heated seat subscriptions have no excuse though and I'm sad I can't set my temps for stuff or do window things with my remote start app.

The cell chip is in there already, to download firmware updates, sell in car WiFi, location tracking, etc. do not try to justify it.

My cars free subscription ran out and it still tries to sell me “better insurance” because I don’t speed, brake too hard, or turn too fast.

Personally I don’t want my car on the IoT and my 2012 had remote start on the key fob like any rational engineer would put it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

credburn posted:

I don't ever wish violence upon them but I get frustrated when they're not stabbed for it.

new thread title