Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
huh somehow i have never notice the zebra dick before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

PhazonLink posted:

huh somehow i have never notice the zebra dick before.

I'm sorry the wh-

squinting

... Huh.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Not super high-stakes, but as someone in the industry this thread about a Los Angeles opera company that decided to try to pass off some really obvious AI art as concept and costume designs made me laugh in despair:

https://twitter.com/secondaryjess/status/1744921666788958568

Christ, I see the gentleman dresses to the left. And is unusually well-endowed.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

PT6A posted:

Christ, I see the gentleman dresses to the left. And is unusually well-endowed.

That’s a packer. Part of the period costume.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

Why tf did they connect their washing machine to the internet, is the question they should be asking

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.

Weatherman posted:

Why tf did they connect their washing machine to the internet, is the question they should be asking

They should, but I really am curious what sort of data it's recording that would need 3.6 gigs a day. Is it recording audio the whole time?

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003

Weatherman posted:

Helpful to send a ping/notification to your phone when the wash is done

karthun
Nov 16, 2006

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

BabyFur Denny posted:

My speed queen makes a loud buzz that I can hear from the entire house. It's entirely a mechanical system that if I have to replace the timer I can do that for like 100 bucks.

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003

karthun posted:

My speed queen makes a loud buzz that I can hear from the entire house. It's entirely a mechanical system that if I have to replace the timer I can do that for like 100 bucks.
Yeah if you happen to be around it's great! But if you're not I assume the buzzer stops after a short while?

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Yes and then you come back and get the laundry?

It's solving a problem that doesn't really need to be solved that much.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

mobby_6kl posted:

Yes and then you come back and get the laundry?

It's solving a problem that doesn't really need to be solved that much.

What if someones kidnapped it, and it needs to discretely get a message to you telling you where it is, so you can go rescue it?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Even if it is pinging you when it is done, that doesn't explain the 3.6 gb of data.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010
It's probably mining crypto or doing some cloud thing where it constantly checks for updates and sends washing metrics.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

dr_rat posted:

What if someones kidnapped it, and it needs to discretely get a message to you telling you where it is, so you can go rescue it?

That’s nice but I’m just reporting it to ICE as a runaway and getting a new live-in “domestic help” without status. Smart washer? What’s that? That sounds like a poor people thing.

karthun
Nov 16, 2006

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

BabyFur Denny posted:

Yeah if you happen to be around it's great! But if you're not I assume the buzzer stops after a short while?

Then when I get home I immediately put the laundry into the driver because I know that I have a load in the washing machine. Does getting the notification change your behavior? WHY would getting a notification change your behavior? I know it takes about 30 minutes for my washing machine to do a load of laundry. The drier is a bit more variable but it also doesn't matter as much.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
About the only thing I can think of it that it might be convenient to load the washer before going to work, then start it remotely before you get home, so it's ready to go into the dryer right away without damp clothes sitting in the washer all day. But, also, that's extremely unnecessary and a similar thing could be accomplished by a basic timer, like many coffee machines have.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!
So Will Sasso (From MadTV, does impressions) and some other dude have made a "Comedy AI" and have made a terrible, horrible, completely boneheaded move for trying advertise it and gain some notoriety: They "resurrected" George Carlin using the AI and made a new hour long special.

The "AI" is called Dudesy. And in reality, like 100% of those "I made an AI watch 10billion hours of Cheers and had it write an episode" memes, it's just a basic text to speech tool that's been trained to mimic famous people's voices. Though if it being even that is suspect because in some of the promotion material Will implies that he "trained" the "AI" by just....doing an impression of what Carlin sounded like and used that as the basis for the voice.

They've already gotten in trouble apparently by making a Tom Brady "AI Clone" do a terrible stand up bit about bad football jokes and got hit with a Cease and Desist.

USA Today story about it.

quote:

Responding to a commenter asking if the AI comedy special was authorized, Carlin-McCall responded that it was not.

USA TODAY has reached out to representatives for Carlin's estate for comment.

During the stand-up special, Dudesy clarifies that Dudesy's recreation is not the real Carlin and the content was created in the same way a human impressionist would.

“I listened to all of George Carlin’s material and did my best to imitate his voice, cadence and attitude,” the AI impression said at the start of the set.

In April, NFL legend Tom Brady threatened to sue the pair of comedians behind Dudesy after an AI-generated comedy special featuring the former Buccaneers quarterback telling jokes, according to reports from CBS Sports and Sports Illustrated.

The Estate of George Carlin, and specifically his daughter, are now out for blood over this. Sasso sought zero permission to make this, admitting as much to USAToday. Seems like he's approaching this in the same manner that he does his usual comedy, which is it's fair use, parody/an impression, so he can just go ahead. Which, sure? I guess. But it's still gross. Especially without even talking with the family of the deceased first.

It's also pretty obvious that it's not even really "AI". Sasso is just laundering his own bad impression work through an AI facade to jump on the tech bandwagon. He's just writing his own jokes and pretending an "AI" ""trained"" on Carlin came up with the stuff and either running it through an TTS or just loving recording himself doing an impression.

The special itself is not worth watching, even in a "this is so bad it's good" way. It's an hour of audio over AI art images vaguely related to what Sasso is saying at the moment. If you must it's all up on youtube and you can easily find it.

gurragadon
Jul 28, 2006

I think we should just let dead people die. The Star Wars movies using those dead actors and CGI was bad too. I don't care about permission from the estate, but this is pretty egregious because they didn't even bother to get that. I agree with you that it is probably Sasso laundering his jokes through Carlin's image. The special seems a lot more coherent that the AI stuff like the endless Seinfeld episodes or the Biden vs. Trump debate.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
I would support publishing a Walt Disney AI impersonator, to voice public domain Mickey if nothing else. If it bothers the estate then they can resurrect Walt from cryostasis to state his objection.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

BabyFur Denny posted:

Nah

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
What if LG actually implemented that thing that crypto cultists were going on about for a while, where your Internet of poo poo™ home appliances would all communicate and trade small amounts to cryptocoins with each other in a competition for efficiency, or something like that. So kind of like what happened with Sears but in your own home with your toaster and fridge lol

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

gurragadon posted:

I think we should just let dead people die.

We should, but capitalism. Everything is an asset and if assets aren't being used to make money then you're losing money. In reality you're not, but capital is going to capital.

If you're already spending millions to digitize actors so you can "de-age" them then why no just use those same digitized scans to have them act. Why not use a hologram of Tu Pac to sell more tickets to Lollapalooza? If Hatsume Miku can have a several decades long career, including a stage show, why not just have your golden goose performing forever?

Right now it's not necessarily "cheaper" but eventually? Yeah, it's a lot cheaper in the long run to have an artificial simulacrum of a celebrity performing, under complete creative control, without needing to pay for all that extra stuff related to them "being alive, sentient, distinct human beings". At the very least you never have to worry about them running off and doing or saying something stupid that kills the magic. Or dying. Which is what they're trying to get around in the first place.

It's all so gross and uncanny too. In a way that just seeing a 2D or 3D animated version of that same actor just doesn't reach. Tom Hanks in The Polar Express is weird looking, just like the rest of the animation, but it is actually him. At least it's him voicing the character. He is actually alive and agreed to do that. It just looks uncanny, but that's where the dissonance stops. Hologram Tu Pac is a whole different beast. 3D, "de-aged", "AI" Carrie Fisher is soulless and off putting. And "AI" George Carlin is downright sacrilegious considering who he was and what he stood for.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008
That gives me a great idea for a dystopian young adult novel series.

The age of acting is over. All performers are interchangeable drones miming in front of a green screen while wearing ping pong ball suits and the digital skin mask of a long dead mid 20th to early 21st century celebrity. Nobody new ever becomes a star, because that space is permanently filled by the ghosts of the people who were during the childhoods of the elderly studio executives. But one plucky teenager finds an abandoned theater and a book of Shakespeare....

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I was writing a future noir book along those lines, but the more I dug into the premise the more it felt like the entire profession of acting wouldn't exist in such a scenario. And my narrative wasn't very compelling with a guy who sat at his computer and prompted a system to create a certain nuance of performance.

Was much more fun to write when it was about people who got famous by doing really good impressions of 20th century actors and the protagonist was a Bogart who just so happened to get wrapped up in a real life case.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

Fukuyama's "End of History", but instead of "No war because every nation has a McDonald's" it's "capitalism locked into reusing the ghosts of culture forever more and incestuously cross pollinating everything into sludge".

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Tech Nightmares: We should, but capitalism

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

ponzicar posted:

The age of acting is over. All performers are interchangeable drones miming in front of a green screen while wearing ping pong ball suits and the digital skin mask of a long dead mid 20th to early 21st century celebrity. Nobody new ever becomes a star, because that space is permanently filled by the ghosts of the people who were during the childhoods of the elderly studio executives. But one plucky teenager finds an abandoned theater and a book of Shakespeare....

There are arguments among cinephiles and critics that Hollywood doesn't make movie stars anymore.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!

ponzicar posted:

This is pretty similar to the scenario imagined by Neal Stephenson's The Diamond Age. Cheap body actors getting implanted tracking nodes working in haptic booths that take on digital VR personas based on gigs that come into the agency.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Woops wrong thread. Neal Stephenson is pretty cool and I wish I could be a samurai pizza hero protagonist

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

gurragadon posted:

The Star Wars movies using those dead actors and CGI was bad too.
Ah, so just like the Star Wars movies with alive actors then.

Professor Beetus posted:

Woops wrong thread. Neal Stephenson is pretty cool and I wish I could be a samurai pizza hero protagonist
Snow Crash is a really fun book but IMO Cryptonomicon is his best work. I do appreciate that he was a dev before becoming a novelist. There's much less cringeworthy tech jargon than you get with people like Gibson.

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.

Sage Grimm posted:

This is pretty similar to the scenario imagined by Neal Stephenson's The Diamond Age. Cheap body actors getting implanted tracking nodes working in haptic booths that take on digital VR personas based on gigs that come into the agency.

The Diamond Age is a fantastic book and I would encourage people to read it.

Edit: Cryptonomicon was so good and have some great analogies for how early encryption developed and works. Such a cool book beyond that to. I read it and The Diamond Age back to back.

Nervous fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Jan 11, 2024

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

Nervous posted:

The Diamond Age is a fantastic book and I would encourage people to read it.

It's got some interesting ideas, but the story just goes to poo poo in the end.

Kagrenak
Sep 8, 2010

starkebn posted:

It's got some interesting ideas, but the story just goes to poo poo in the end.

This describes every Stephenson book

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Kagrenak posted:

This describes every Stephenson book

Baroque Cycle had a satisfying ending.

Except for Leibniz, but... *gestures at recorded history*

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Cryptonomicon is probably my favorite too, but Diamond Age is fun and good. Snowcrash too.

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

I hope I can get through that at some point. I've started Quicksilver several times and usually start to zone out and end up abandoning it a few chapters in.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Professor Beetus posted:

Sorry, all we have in stock are samurai pizza cats

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

Weatherman posted:

Modern LG washers /driers have a whole rear end cycle preset called "Download" which is reserved for presets downloaded through their app. No you cannot program it manually. Delayed start is also gated behind the app IIRC. The solution is to not buy an LG but my landlord made that decision for me.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

ponzicar posted:

great stuff! have GPT email me the first chapter

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

mobby_6kl posted:

I hope I can get through that at some point. I've started Quicksilver several times and usually start to zone out and end up abandoning it a few chapters in.
It's genuinely my favorite thing he's ever written, but it is wholly committed to that mannered semi-archaic style of writing all the way through, so if you can't stomach that then it's pretty rough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kagrenak
Sep 8, 2010

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

I'll have to check that one out. Ananthem felt like it was going to and then in the last act he just takes it completely off the loving rails.