Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

they want shady
May 11, 2013

Endorph posted:

cygames hired a lot of ex-squeenix and mistwalker staff (who in turn are the guys who made shadow hearts) so they arent completely without experience, its not like they formed out of the aether to make gacha

Yeah, of course. S' why I tried to find specific names to tie to the product to get some idea of what to expect, but there's not a lot of juice to squeeze there just yet (until we get some actual credits). Best I found was that the old director (on the Platinum side) was Yasuyuki Kaji who did art or animation for Automata, Bayonetta 2, and Revengance and this could've been his big break as actual director: and current director and producing staff are the same as the other granblue games internally, including Versus/Rising which also had outsourced bits to its development (director Tetsuya Fukuhara and producer Koichi Haruta). Not familiar with their work yet (other than the Platinum guy) but still nice to know the names in case I'm impressed with Relink I guess.

they want shady fucked around with this message at 08:59 on Jan 11, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Relink is meant to be like a straight up retelling of the gacha story right? The thing I want FGO to eventually do.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
No, it doesn't cover the GBF story

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
oh

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
well its probably a basic story, something about a dragon... vyrn... vyn... venn

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

kinda.

relink will cover the start of the granblue gacha's story but then go off in its own direction. the gacha game is doing a bunch of multiverse stuff to accommodate versus and relink both still being 'canon.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

I hope the fox girls are in it

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

kinda hosed that they're adding tweyen but not her wife, but maybe she will come later

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GR-OFLuA-lQ

Preview of some of Unicorn Overlord's soundtrack, in 16-bit arranged format.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
Does GBFR have the fighting game character who was three catboys

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

lowain is not playable in relink but it does have hobbit yoda

https://twitter.com/gbf_relink_jp/status/1738122639766647119 (at the end of this video)

they want shady
May 11, 2013

goblin week posted:

Does GBFR have the fighting game character who was three catboys

The guys whose victory screens implied that all the fights were just bullshitting at the bar, right? Those guys own and I’m pretty sure they’re from GBF, yeah.

they want shady
May 11, 2013
Oh, thought GBFR meant Rising instead of Relink lol nvm

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

good

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

https://twitter.com/granblue_en/status/1745401735877951875

speaking of relink, the demos gonna go up in about 4 hours. sadly no pc demo, just ps4/ps5

also no crossplay between pc and ps4/ps5

Endorph fucked around with this message at 12:28 on Jan 11, 2024

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
Relink seems like a game made of ff14 dungeons. Just corridors leading to a boss fight. Maybe some waves of enemies, but mostly boss fight.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i mean its not meant to be an open world RPG, its based on like, monster hunter. its got that kind of progression.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Yeah the actual GBF game is mostly just doing bossfights to get drops to become more powerful so you can do more difficult bossfights. And Relink is also, that.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Overbite posted:

Relink seems like a game made of ff14 dungeons. Just corridors leading to a boss fight. Maybe some waves of enemies, but mostly boss fight.

That's why i'm hyped

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Overbite posted:

Do the bosses also involve a dance of mechanics you have to juggle while doing damage?

Wait I forgot about Dragalia Lost, if it's similar to that it's absolutely gonna have some FFXIV feel and I barely have seen gameplay of it.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E2STz4VJmqg

yeah theyre very ff14/dragalia lost, you can even see aoe indicators

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

GiantRockFromSpace posted:

Do the bosses also involve a dance of mechanics you have to juggle while doing damage?

Wait I forgot about Dragalia Lost, if it's similar to that it's absolutely gonna have some FFXIV feel and I barely have seen gameplay of it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YuXKwACdqKg&t=484s

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

SyntheticPolygon posted:

That's why i'm hyped

Okay yeah that does sound sick

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Endorph posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E2STz4VJmqg

yeah theyre very ff14/dragalia lost, you can even see aoe indicators

Man that does look sick, Dragalia nostaligia hit (that fire dragon arena inmediately gave me Brynhildr vibes) That said whether I'll get it will depend on what playable characters they chose to be playable.

And I hope they do take the chance to include some classic bosses and not 100% originals only because some GBF bosses would be amazing in 3D. Colossus Dimensional Cleave but it actually cleaves the dimension. Or the Arcanas cause they got a cool boss theme and could have real fun mechanics.

Edit: they got Vaseraga, Yodarha, Seofon, Cagliostro and Ghandagoza!? Okay they got me, if game is good I'm getting it for sure then.

GiantRockFromSpace fucked around with this message at 12:50 on Jan 11, 2024

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The full playable roster is

Gran/Djeeta (you switch between them like in the mobile game and they only have minor differences, they arent separate characters like Versus)
Katalina
Rackam
Io
Eugen
Rosetta
Lancelot
Percival
Vane
Siegfried
Charlotta
Yodarha
Narmaya
Zeta
Vaseraga
Ferry
Ghandagoza
Cagliostro

with Seofon and Tweyen coming in an update. Seemingly, they'll be free, not paid DLC - they just said 'coming in april,' they didn't mention any kind of price or season pass. They mentioned another update in May, so it's possible that will also have a roster expansion.

The overlap between this game's roster and Versus is a bit disappointing but also this game's been in development so long that if they made the roster selection back when it started development the pool was extremely limited, so I get it.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

I dunno about how classic you'd count him but Lucilius will be added as a fight in March

https://twitter.com/granblue_en/status/1745404356089000270

e: they showed gameplay of it lol

https://twitter.com/MKH13Omasters/status/1745409516777394577

Terper fucked around with this message at 12:56 on Jan 11, 2024

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
I thought Relink was going to be more like an action RPG kinda like a Ys game but better graphics, so hearing it’s like Monster Hunter which is fine but I don’t care for them saved my wallet some harm.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

It still has a complete story mode that functions more like a regular action RPG mind

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DpIEi4V_ZDM

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Endorph posted:

The full playable roster is

Gran/Djeeta (you switch between them like in the mobile game and they only have minor differences, they arent separate characters like Versus)
Katalina
Rackam
Io
Eugen
Rosetta
Lancelot
Percival
Vane
Siegfried
Charlotta
Yodarha
Narmaya
Zeta
Vaseraga
Ferry
Ghandagoza
Cagliostro

with Seofon and Tweyen coming in an update. Seemingly, they'll be free, not paid DLC - they just said 'coming in april,' they didn't mention any kind of price or season pass. They mentioned another update in May, so it's possible that will also have a roster expansion.

The overlap between this game's roster and Versus is a bit disappointing but also this game's been in development so long that if they made the roster selection back when it started development the pool was extremely limited, so I get it.

Re Link does get a few additions to diferentiate itself at least, like getting the entire OG crew besides Katalina, Vane, Yodarha, Ghandagoza and 2 different Eternals. And honestly they weren't gonna exclude fan favourites like the Dragon Knights or Narmaya or thr Society or Ferry. I'm guessing the overlap probably helped with development too.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

if nothing else it probably helped with scheduling the VAs

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
Is the fisherman/secret agent halfling coming or am I being denied my funny fishing stance character again?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Is the fisherman/secret agent halfling coming or am I being denied my funny fishing stance character again?
yodarha is in the relink base roster

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
I'm looking forward to Relink, I know nothing about Granblue (I only just remembered that it was a gacha game, not just a fighting game), but if its following a MonHun loop then hopefully that combat system is tight.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I just watched the big stream they did earlier and the boss fights look fun, but the not-boss fighting seems pretty hollow and the easier bosses also don't seem particularly exciting. My big worry is that the game takes too long to become mechanically interesting and also that there isn't enough of the meatier stuff, but that's just speculation.

E: basically I'm reminded of the first few hours of old monhun titles where you just collect mushrooms and kill 12 jaggis. You can breeze past that stuff if you know what you're doing but as a new person with no context you have no clue what's important yet so it can really make things seem more boring than they are.

Countblanc fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Jan 11, 2024

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The story mode has a lot of unique scripted events so I assume that will keep interest before the bosses themselves start ramping up and you hit the monhun type grind.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Schwarzwald posted:

It was very weird that I ended up playing two different RPGs made in OHRRPGCE last year, after not hearing about it for two decades, and they both have endings where the Moon blooms with life.

Out of curiosity, what was the other one (assuming you mean one of them was False Skies).

I'm always fascinated when I find out about a new (to me) game dev engine or environment or whatever and learn that there's like a whole dev community and stable of games that exist for it, I've never run into OHRRPGCE before, and I never in a million years could have guessed what that stands for

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
They should bring guild wars to Relink

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

MockingQuantum posted:

and I never in a million years could have guessed what that stands for

Wow, same

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

MockingQuantum posted:

Out of curiosity, what was the other one (assuming you mean one of them was False Skies).

I'm always fascinated when I find out about a new (to me) game dev engine or environment or whatever and learn that there's like a whole dev community and stable of games that exist for it, I've never run into OHRRPGCE before, and I never in a million years could have guessed what that stands for

Franken, which is otherwise the complete opposite of False Skies with about two hours of play and no real mechanics.

OHRRPGCE must have improved tremendously since '01 or whenever the last time I looked at it was, because there's no way that either of those could have been produced in that engine as I remember it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Rascyc posted:

The only PC advantages is availability of cheat engine and possibility of mods. I wouldn't think much about mods, still a long ways to go for those. Cheat engine though is up to you, there's a lot you can do with it - 100% drop rates, faster animations, etc.

Game plays great though no matter where you take it, most of the useful cheats are really only relevant to post game optional content or mega grinds, and Reborn is plenty fast by default. I'd personally suggest Switch myself because it is an extremely cozy SRPG at this point and very relaxing to play.

I'm half-tempted to cheat engine off the card mechanic because while it's neat it's also annoying later on.

The Colonel posted:

yeah granblue was the origin of the industry realization that mobile games can be insanely successful if you have any kind of actual game framework and characters and story around it that people might care about

They're also largely responsible for the pity mechanic in gachas because people would sink thousands of dollars into Granblue banners and not get the featured character/summon and needless to say, the media coverage of that stuff was not kind to Cygames, nor should it have been.