Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
What is the NWSL salary cap gonna look like given that they have so much more TV money? I think it's something like $5m per team per year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

habeasdorkus posted:

What is the NWSL salary cap gonna look like given that they have so much more TV money? I think it's something like $5m per team per year.

$2.75 million this year so double what it was, and maybe shooting up after though assuming things continue apace

Edit: so, for my Gotham musing, they’ve got Nighswonger on her rookie contract, but just extended Lynn Williams and signed Crystal Dunn, Emily Sonnet, Tierna Davidson, Rose Lavelle, already had Midge Purce, Esther Gonzalez, Kelly O’Hara, and Bruhnina on the books (as well as plenty of decent others like Yazmeen Ryan, etc), for the NWSL that’s a whole lotta talent to have to pay for, guess that cap doubled just in time

Thaddius the Large fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Jan 11, 2024

Grimson
Dec 16, 2004

Gemma was officially presented today at a press conference, and the Norwegian FA bought out her contract with Wales for £100,000. She'll make £180,000 per year as the new Norwegian head coach and will get bonuses if she gets us to championships, with the Euro bonus being £25,000. She's going to remain living in Leeds and will commute frequently to Norway and she'll bring an assistant coach with her to the team.

NRK asked some Welsh journalists about what we can expect of her before the presser.

quote:

For most Norwegians, Grainger is a completely undescribed leaf. Then the big question is:

What can be expected from this surprise?

- She is a character, says Wales-based The Mirror journalist Megan Feringa.

- Norwegian fans should be happy
According to the experts NRK has spoken to, the Norwegian Football Association has brought in an ambitious Briton with a clear philosophy.

That philosophy nearly took the Wales women's national team, where she coached for three years, to their first ever championship.

- Although she ended the Wales era with a streak of eight games without a win, the fact that Norway brought her shows that the Welsh Football Association had a talent in their ranks, writes the BBC.

The Welsh football writer Siôn Misra tells NRK that Grainger is leaving Welsh football in a far better condition than when she took over. He is certain that Grainger will have the same effect on Norwegian football.

- Norwegian fans should be happy about this appointment, says Misra.

- Norway is getting a coach who is very detail-oriented, both when it comes to preparations and tactics. She is a progressive coach who always has the big picture in mind, he adds.

Progress and frustration
Grainger has no great playing career to look back on, but has been in the coaching profession for a long time. According to Misra, Grainger lives and breathes football, and although she is only 41 years old, she already has a long coaching career behind her.

She has been a coach in Leeds and Middlesbrough and also for various English national teams before being hired by Wales.

There she became very popular, but according to Misra, she could also both divide and frustrate the supporters.

- The lack of rotation frustrated Welsh fans, he says, and explains:

- You knew what kind of starting eleven she was going to field several days before a match. She hardly used any substitutes, and if she did, it would only be one or two during a match. She is very set in her own ways. When her tactics work it looks fantastic, but when it doesn't it can look very uninspiring. But Norway has better players than Wales, so it might be different, says Misra.

- At least one thing is certain: She will turn over every stone when it comes to preparations, she asserts.

Grainger comes in as the fourth Norwegian national team coach in a year and a half and is thrown straight into the thick of things:

Already in February, Norway will play two important matches against Croatia. Norway is playing there to save the nations league place at the top level.

- Not afraid to speak up
One of the big challenges will be to make the Norwegian attacking game, with stars such as Ada Hegerberg and Caroline Graham Hansen, seem to flow. And according to Wales resident Megan Feringa, that will be one of the first things she will look at.

Grainger comes into a Norway team that has been divided, that has underperformed in championships and that has ended up a bit behind the competition, but Feringa has great faith in Grainger as Norwegian national team manager.

- With a team like Norway, I think she will have a lot of fun and I think Norway will have a lot of fun. There is a lot of quality in that attack and I think she will get a lot out of the team, says Feringa.
- During the last three years in Wales, I think she grew as a manager. She has learned a lot and Wales learned a lot. Gemma is a very proactive trainer who thinks in a modern way. She likes that the team has the ball at their feet and focuses on the passing game. With a team like Norway, I think she will have a lot of fun and I think Norway will have a lot of fun.

Feringa describes Grainger as passionate, progressive and honest, and says she is not afraid to speak her mind.

- She will stand up for herself and the team. She knows what it's like to speak against a union to get rights for women. She is not afraid to speak up, and I think many will appreciate and respect that.

Communication is a key word for Grainger.

- She is extremely concerned about it. She has constant communication with the players and is keen to have a door that is always open. You won't see Gemma screaming much on the sidelines. Some players appreciate it, but she will lose her temper when she really has to. But that happens very rarely.

I'm... cautiously optimistic. I know absolutely nothing about her so we'll see what she does against Croatia. Also she's a Middelsbrough fan.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Not sure that commuting to Norway is going to work, that might change fairly quickly

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Thanks Ants posted:

Not sure that commuting to Norway is going to work, that might change fairly quickly

Yeah, uh, are there even any direct flights from Leeds to Oslo?

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet
Doesn't appear so, but that's not the worst layover in the world.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name
https://twitter.com/GuardianUS/status/1745425604743442443

Very weird to see Hansen at #7 and Smith at #18. Both were really good in the league but godawful at World Cup. Horan should be higher. The French seem to be underrated, they were really good and their clubs are always good in the European cups.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Breakdowns by league, so long as I didn't fat finger any. It sums to 100, at least:

England- 31
Spain- 24
France - 15
America - 12
Germany - 11
Italy - 4
Mexico - 2
Japan -1

Barcelona has 15 players in the top 100. Which, yeah, they're an amazing team but lol. Not as funny as Farcenal with 10 and Chelsea at 8, though.

Grimson
Dec 16, 2004

Thanks Ants posted:

Supposedly that's what she did with the Wales job and "that was a longer flight than the one to Oslo". She seems to treat Leeds as a base and intends to fly a lot in Europe to attend matches so I look forward to the headlines decrying her expensive travel habits in a year or two if she fails to get us to a couple championships.

Grimson
Dec 16, 2004

Terminally Bored posted:

https://twitter.com/GuardianUS/status/1745425604743442443

Very weird to see Hansen at #7 and Smith at #18. Both were really good in the league but godawful at World Cup. Horan should be higher. The French seem to be underrated, they were really good and their clubs are always good in the European cups.

They put Earps at #9 and Endler at #49, lol.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Grimson posted:

Supposedly that's what she did with the Wales job and "that was a longer flight than the one to Oslo". She seems to treat Leeds as a base and intends to fly a lot in Europe to attend matches so I look forward to the headlines decrying her expensive travel habits in a year or two if she fails to get us to a couple championships.

I'm sure the logistics are possible, I just think that managing a national team should see you immerse yourself in that country a bit more than being based in Leeds still is going to permit.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

habeasdorkus posted:

Barcelona has 15 players in the top 100. Which, yeah, they're an amazing team but lol. Not as funny as Farcenal with 10 and Chelsea at 8, though.

Current Barca squad is pretty much galacticos-era Real. World class player at every single position. Their goal difference is 20 in their CL group. Outside of a slim chance of them playing two subpar games against Chelsea or Lyon they're absolutely getting to the final.

Grimson posted:

They put Earps at #9 and Endler at #49, lol.

Earps is amazing, she should be in the top 5.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Glad to see Arsenal have remembered how to score again

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

https://twitter.com/SuzyWrack/status/1747409382453788841

:woop:

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
Brown said. “I don’t think there’s any other sport asset class that is as exciting as women’s football."

Sport asset class??

Grimson
Dec 16, 2004

excited to watch my favorite sport asset class this weekend

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
Maybe he's saying the asset is valuable and can make money but dodging whether he thinks the sport itself is any good?

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

ilmucche posted:

Maybe he's saying the asset is valuable and can make money but dodging whether he thinks the sport itself is any good?

no he's just a business vampire and speaks the eldritch dialect of his people

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

i have tickets for brann-st pölten. will be gutted if they don't qualify for quarter-finals now, but it would mean that the women's team have finally completed their transition from sandviken into a genuine brann article.

Grimson
Dec 16, 2004

V. Illych L. posted:

i have tickets for brann-st pölten. will be gutted if they don't qualify for quarter-finals now, but it would mean that the women's team have finally completed their transition from sandviken into a genuine brann article.

good news, they're currently losing 1-0 to slavia praha with 3 minutes left to go. meaning they have nothing to play for as they'll be out of the competition anyway if this holds.

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe
Ah drat

https://twitter.com/sammymewy/status/1748367209569943948

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
It was so rough seeing her and Kristie talking about their careers in the WC documentary and how they never really synced up due to injuries

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Holy poo poo at this Spurs-West Ham match. Will post highlight reel after it's finished

e: found this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AEajyujLVyk

Terminally Bored fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Jan 21, 2024

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
but I don’t scream and I don’t shout
And I feel so proud
to be alive
levy please pay 50m for grace clinton

Grimson
Dec 16, 2004

UWCL is back after the Christmas break. Dazn doesn't have all of the games scheduled on youtube yet, but I'll add the links when they show up, or get incredibly mad if the "new deal" they announced includes them moving all the games over to their own website.

Wednesday 24 January
18:45 CET / 12:45pm EST
Häcken - Paris FC
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BMwB30VS-oY

Roma - Bayern

21:00 CET / 3pm EST
Chelsea - Real Madrid

Paris - Ajax

Thursday 25 January
18:45 CET / 12:45pm EST
Slavia Praha - Brann

Rosengård - Benfica
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=grlqpyGfM3g

21:00 CET / 3pm EST
Barcelona - Frankfurt

St. Pölten - Lyon

Standings
Group A
(Q) Barcelona - 12p
Benfica - 7p
Frankfurt - 4p
(D) Rosengård - 0p

Barcelona are through to the quarter-finals. They will be confirmed in first place if they avoid defeat against Frankfurt, or Benfica fail to beat Rosengård.
Benfica will be through to the quarter-finals if they pick up at least as many points as Frankfurt on Matchday 5.
Frankfurt will be unable to reach the quarter-finals if they do not pick up more points than Benfica on Matchday 5.
Rosengård are unable to reach the quarter-finals.

Group B
(Q) Lyon - 10p
Brann - 7p
Slavia Praha - 4p
(D) St. Pölten - 1p

Lyon are through to the quarter-finals. They will be confirmed in first place if they pick up at least as many points as Brann on Matchday 5.
Brann will be through to the quarter-finals if they avoid defeat by Slavia.
Slavia will be unable to reach the quarter-finals if they do not beat Brann.
St. Pölten are unable to reach the quarter-finals.

Group C
Ajax - 7p
PSG - 6p
Bayern - 5p
Roma - 4p

Ajax will be through to the quarter-finals if they beat Paris, or if they draw and Bayern beat Roma. Ajax will be confirmed as group winners if they win and the other game is drawn.
Paris will be through to the quarter-finals if they beat Ajax and Roma beat Bayern.
Bayern will be unable to reach the quarter-finals if they lose to Roma and Paris beat Ajax.
Roma will be unable to reach the quarter-finals if they lose to Bayern.

Group D
Chelsea - 8p
Häcken - 7p
Paris FC - 6p
(D) Real Madrid - 1p

Chelsea will be through to the quarter-finals if they beat Madrid. Chelsea will be confirmed as group winners if they win and the other game is drawn.
Häcken will be through to the quarter-finals if they beat Paris.
Paris will be unable to reach the quarter-finals if they lose to Häcken and Chelsea beat Madrid.
Madrid are unable to reach the quarter-finals.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

It appears that you have to register to DAZN to watch all the CL matches. This includes putting in payment details so gently caress that noise

Zwachro
Mar 7, 2003
C808BEA

Terminally Bored posted:

It appears that you have to register to DAZN to watch all the CL matches. This includes putting in payment details so gently caress that noise

You're supposed to be able to register for free here. Signup not working for me right now, though, but may start working when there's no matches going on.

And heh, they're doing the 'check this box to opt out' thing for emails.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Possibly also here depending on your region

https://www.youtube.com/@DAZNWomensFootball

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Roma scored at 93rd minute and Bayern are out unless they manage to get a goal

e: They just did. It's 2-2 and now Bayern are going through.

Thanks Ants posted:

Possibly also here depending on your region

https://www.youtube.com/@DAZNWomensFootball

Yeah, they're streaming only one match on their yt channel.

Grimson
Dec 16, 2004

fairly tense last 15 minutes in this roma - bayern game

Dav
Nov 6, 2009

Zwachro posted:

You're supposed to be able to register for free here. Signup not working for me right now, though, but may start working when there's no matches going on.

And heh, they're doing the 'check this box to opt out' thing for emails.

Worked for me, thanks for the link (and the warning about the checkbox).

PSG-AJX has a full game’s worth of goals already and it’s not even halftime yet!

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Dav posted:

Worked for me, thanks for the link (and the warning about the checkbox).

PSG-AJX has a full game’s worth of goals already and it’s not even halftime yet!

Wow, DAZN player has goal bookmarks. That Katoto opener was fully sick

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

And also, after getting Gorry and Mewis this transfer window, West Ham are losing 0-2 to Birmingham. This is only League Cup but they have to improve and fast if they want to stay in the WSL.

Grimson
Dec 16, 2004

leah williamson got subbed on in the conti cup match agains reading today for the first time since her acl injury last year and had a decent assist

https://twitter.com/veencomps/status/1750257814696542376

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Incredibly sick finish from Meado

Grimson
Dec 16, 2004

chelsea are sadly through, boo

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Grimson posted:

leah williamson got subbed on in the conti cup match agains reading today for the first time since her acl injury last year and had a decent assist

https://twitter.com/veencomps/status/1750257814696542376

Arteta looking at this pass and thinking about playing Leah in goal

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Yesterday's highlights:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y1YoUlwRdJo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=roHN1dnHdss

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y2m24X6qHVc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ckiR98k2Hx0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mcj--Wt3Ue0

Grimson
Dec 16, 2004

MADRID (AP) — Former Spanish soccer president Luis Rubiales will face trial for kissing forward Jenni Hermoso without her consent at the Women’s World Cup, an investigative judge said on Thursday.

Judge Francisco de Jorge ruled that his probe points to Rubiales’ kiss “being unconsented and carried out unilaterally and in a surprising fashion,” the court said.

State prosecutors have accused Rubiales of sexual assault and for allegedly coercing Hermoso to publicly support him in the public backlash against him.

Despite initially claiming he was the victim of a campaign led by “false feminists,” Rubiales eventually resigned from his post for his behavior during the World Cup awards ceremony in Sydney in August. He has denied any wrongdoing.

The judge also ruled that along with Rubiales, former Spain coach Jorge Vilda, sports director of Spain’s men’s team Albert Luque, and the federation former head of marketing should be tried for allegedly pressuring Hermoso to defend Rubiales, a step she refused to take.

The trial date will be determined.

Hermoso testified before the investigative judge in January. The 33-year-old forward, Spain's all-time leading scorer who plays in the Mexican league, has been widely supported in the country. The kiss scandal has many hoping it will spur a reckoning with sexism in sports.

Based on a sexual consent law passed in 2022, Rubiales could face a fine or a prison sentence of one to four years if found guilty, according to the prosecutors’ office in Madrid. The new law eliminated the difference between “sexual harassment” and “sexual assault,” sanctioning any unconsented sexual act.

FIFA banned Rubiales for three years until after the men’s 2026 World Cup. His ban will expire before the next women’s tournament in 2027. Spain's sports authority also ruled him unfit to hold a post in sports management for three years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grimson
Dec 16, 2004

https://twitter.com/DAZNFootball/status/1750579939886174575