Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
the weapons really need some more stats to show what they actually do

i just got the kraken bow which on paper looked strictly worse than the bow i already had - same attack speed but half the damage, with a periodic effect that sounded less good too. i still picked it up just because it was legendary and it was only when i equipped it that i found out it fires like 4 shots at once and they're all homing, which makes it way better than the bow i had despite looking much worse in the item description

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
in an ideal world there would be a lil pop up previewwith a short animation of like the weapon's standard attack animation or something, people should keep giving the tiny rogues dev lots of money so this is a possiblity, i assume it would take a lot of hard work

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Snooze Cruise posted:

in an ideal world there would be a lil pop up previewwith a short animation of like the weapon's standard attack animation or something, people should keep giving the tiny rogues dev lots of money so this is a possiblity, i assume it would take a lot of hard work

Instead of dropping cages on the weapons, lock the exit door if you're carrying more than one of them. Then players can try out the animations before making a final selection.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Jedit posted:

Instead of dropping cages on the weapons, lock the exit door if you're carrying more than one of them. Then players can try out the animations before making a final selection.

:eyepop: genius

e: also yes the game deserves more money it's really good. i only have two unlocks left now but i'm looking forward to playing with the new classes

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

WarpedLichen posted:

Class notes.

Couple of points:

Jester is really, really good at clearing rooms. The ability, and in fact, nearly all abilities like it that preload an effect, can be procced in the preceding room. This means you can dash into an exit, and you have a guaranteed giant hit in the first room. If you build toward fewer hits, but one really big hit, you are guaranteed that first one. Just don't miss.

Calling songs garbage is just... I dunno where to start. Songs are extremely flexible. Instruments are almost universally good, so it's not really a drawback to be forced into one.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
It's a huge drawback. How often is your best weapon an instrument? 1/20 runs? And the bard passives arent even good but it feels sad to not force your build into using them.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

No Wave posted:

It's a huge drawback. How often is your best weapon an instrument? 1/20 runs? And the bard passives arent even good but it feels sad to not force your build into using them.

I mean, I pretty much take the first good weapon to the end, and only upgrade if one is stupidly better. Generally, rooms that give weapons are at the bottom of my priority list unless I somehow fall behind the damage curve.

So, to that end, quite frequently. Maybe one in six, if I am not fishing for it.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Veryslightlymad posted:

Instruments are almost universally good, so it's not really a drawback to be forced into one.

are they though? i don't think i've ever had a good run with an instrument, even the legendary ones. the slow projectile speed is such a killer when i could've instead been pelting the enemies with arrows or bombard them with spells

it bums me out tbh because i really want to like the instrument weapon type

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

I know it's prescribing effort posting - but a lot of these ideas and feedback points are really good and deserving of being voiced in the Tiny Rogues discord. The dev is incredibly active and open in that discord. It's incredible.

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

Your Computer posted:

are they though? i don't think i've ever had a good run with an instrument, even the legendary ones. the slow projectile speed is such a killer when i could've instead been pelting the enemies with arrows or bombard them with spells

This is what I think too, notes are slow and track lazily, which makes good weapons on paper into bad ones. They also all cap out at far range which is fairly annoying on the late game bosses.

The purples - the guitar, the keyboard, and the lucky sax have all been meh, though I've never gotten an orange instrument. I've basically never used an instrument on any other class than the bard unless it was my first blue/yellow on floor 2.

But the list is entirely subjective and I've only played bard 2 times, so I'm definitely not an expert or anything.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Is the dev data collecting? I feel like they're not, and thats not an insult to the game or anything it would just cause me to take player feedback very seriously.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Your Computer posted:

I got a purple guitar with a secondary that shot lightning on my Chaos run for the achievement. It didn't seem worse than any other weapon.

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

No Wave posted:

Is the dev data collecting? I feel like they're not, and thats not an insult to the game or anything it would just cause me to take player feedback very seriously.

Nothing in their discord leads me to believe he's using data analysis for decision making.

To his credit, taking the feedback from the folks that take the steps to post in a discord dedicated to the game as not just noise is pretty good imo.

Edit: I'm a huge huge fan of the humility of this guy
https://twitter.com/RubyBenji/status/1745450698333213105

Slotducks fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Jan 11, 2024

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Out of curiosity, do you use a controller or keyboard and mouse. I think scrolls are also one of the better weapon classes. I do KBM.

Edit
Ruby is great. He sat down with me for like, 20- 40 minutes after the first big update way back to work out a problem with my custom controls that said update broke.

Veryslightlymad fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Jan 11, 2024

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Slotducks posted:

Nothing in their discord leads me to believe he's using data analysis for decision making.

To his credit, taking the feedback from the folks that take the steps to post in a discord dedicated to the game as not just noise is pretty good imo.
It is it's just so rare to see someone trying to balance without data these days. I think it may contribute to the game feeling good tbh.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Bard is definitely pretty meh. There is a bard song that does the exact same thing as the Soldier's ability, which is about on par with most of the other songs, and Soldier is kind of a middling-okay class. But Bard has an even more restrictive weapon requirement, has to waste an inventory slot on the songbook, and gets hosed up room pathing since 1 door/level will be replaced with a song pickup that's simultaneously worse than most regular rewards but also high priority until you find a good song or two.

There are a few more unique songs that you can theoretically get up to some shenanigans with, but you need a lot of stuff to line up for the payoff. So most of the time Bard is just a worse version of a mediocre class, and you can occasionally shoot the moon and wind up with a build that rises to the level of "pretty good but also very funny."

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Keep in mind class variety is more about play variety than balanced power levels. If you just want to win play Demon Hunter, Barbarian, or Super Hero.

That reminds me, on the class rankings that were posted last night, I was shocked to see Pyromancer at the very bottom. They have an incredibly strong start (which matters less with Ebb & Flow I guess) and scale decently well. Sorcerer has better scaling but a much weaker start.

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

No Wave posted:

It is it's just so rare to see someone trying to balance without data these days. I think it may contribute to the game feeling good tbh.

Oh in my day to day I beg and plead for hours for user data to help us make our design decisions better I'm 100% with you.

I think things are SO fluid right now that diving into data isn't worth the squeeze. He's like fixing 20 things in a 4 hour window or something it's bonkers.

Profanity
Aug 26, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Slotducks posted:

Edit: I'm a huge huge fan of the humility of this guy
https://twitter.com/RubyBenji/status/1745450698333213105

Oh good, I wasn't going crazy after all.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
"beer sounds like a good idea but actually is of no benefit to you" isn't a bug, it's added realism

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.
I'm working towards unlocking all the classes, and so far bard has been the most trash. I didn't have that much trouble with a deprived run as I have with bard.

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

Veryslightlymad posted:

Out of curiosity, do you use a controller or keyboard and mouse. I think scrolls are also one of the better weapon classes. I do KBM.

I play controller with max auto aim and the latest update made tracking really good for the sword cyclones and scrolls which were almost unusable before. Scrolls are now my favorite weapon class.

SKULL.GIF posted:

Keep in mind class variety is more about play variety than balanced power levels. If you just want to win play Demon Hunter, Barbarian, or Super Hero.

That reminds me, on the class rankings that were posted last night, I was shocked to see Pyromancer at the very bottom. They have an incredibly strong start (which matters less with Ebb & Flow I guess) and scale decently well. Sorcerer has better scaling but a much weaker start.

Yeah for sure, the class power levels are completely meaningless and just for fun. I think most the classes are fun to play and even the classes I consider bad have unique high roll builds to try out. Just not sure if I'll ever get the all body damage trait monk run some day.

I thought the pyro starting weapon was harder to use in practice with than the sorc wand and the +fire damage equipment usually becomes irrelevant after the first weapon upgrade but your mileage may vary.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Bard can be an absurdly OP class if you build around the song that increases the effect of emotion buffs by 100%. Rage becomes an 80% attack speed buff for example. But it doesn't do anything great until you get that song.

You can also get a lot of instrument drops by using the meta that gives +25% chance for weapons of your starter weapon's class to drop.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

WarpedLichen posted:

I play controller with max auto aim and the latest update made tracking really good for the sword cyclones and scrolls which were almost unusable before. Scrolls are now my favorite weapon class.

i also play on a controller now which imo kinda makes the game much harder in a lot of cases due to how wonky the aiming is, but yeah for scrolls if you put auto-aim at 100% it will target even enemies that are off-screen. i typically play with ~20% auto-aim but whenever i pick up a nice scroll i go into the settings and up it to 100% for the easy life

the auto-aim does need some work though, the absolutely most frustrating thing is weapons with slow projectiles or lazy aim which sometimes literally cannot hit constantly moving enemies like the ones that go around the perimeter of the room. it will just always aim where they were and miss. some monsters also break the auto aim so that it aims at where they're going to end up (as in, their next "waypoint" so to speak) instead of where they are which again makes the weapons miss every time. some of the later dragon-type enemies do this and it's a real bummer when it happens

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

My first bard win was just getting Song of Hubris and stacking Auras so it is obviously OP and needs nerfs.

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.
In this world it's pet or BE pet.

My one bard run got a kazoo which then killed every boss instantaneously with the gloves that swap crushing hits with the more max damage version, so bard is clearly good actually.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

deep dish peat moss posted:

Bard can be an absurdly OP class if you build around the song that increases the effect of emotion buffs by 100%. Rage becomes an 80% attack speed buff for example. But it doesn't do anything great until you get that song.

You can also get a lot of instrument drops by using the meta that gives +25% chance for weapons of your starter weapon's class to drop.

Turning a 40% attack speed buff into an 80% attack speed buff is still just sort of average if that's all you're getting out of your class feature (let alone having to put up with all the extra headaches bard brings); you need access to multiple emotion buffs from sources other than songs before bard really pops off that way. And the easiest way to do that is to pick up a bunch of strength traits, which doesn't play nicely with the weapon category you're locked to. It is pretty neat when it works but it's hard to count on it.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

An impossible choice:

This was the easiest run so far.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Jedit posted:

oh no... you are way smarter than me >.<

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

:psyduck: The second half of the 0.2.2 beta just dropped.

quote:

and that's not even all of them, parts got cut off. The dev went to bed immediately after posting.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

But wait: there's more.

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004
You are receiving this broadcast as a dream...We are transmitting from the year one nine... nine nine ...You are receiving this broadcast in order t
On the second floor I got a rare bow that shot pretty weak arrows with a secondary attack of exploding chickens (~2-3 per second?) that were doing 60,000 damage without crits in a good size AOE. It pretty much deleted each room instantly, it might be a bit strong to get 3 minutes into a run.

faantastic
Dec 31, 2006

that dude.

I'm working on going through the heavdn hell second gates but can't get my alignment high enough. Am I missing something? I have only seen chaos and lawful stuff outside the tavern.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

faantastic posted:

I'm working on going through the heavdn hell second gates but can't get my alignment high enough. Am I missing something? I have only seen chaos and lawful stuff outside the tavern.

Once you've beaten Tiamat/Bahamut and made it to their respective second gate, you should periodically see Good and Evil shops available after bosses, same as Law shops. (It's randomized and also somewhat based on your current alignment, so if you start with an alignment bias you are going to have a hard time getting shops for the opposite alignment, although strategic use of tavern NPCs can turn it around enough to maybe get the right shop to show.)

Also, there is a high probability of a soul shop showing up on floor 11 and buying stuff there does affect your alignment, so if you don't quite make it to +/- 4 you may get a second chance.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Pain of Mind posted:

On the second floor I got a rare bow that shot pretty weak arrows with a secondary attack of exploding chickens (~2-3 per second?) that were doing 60,000 damage without crits in a good size AOE. It pretty much deleted each room instantly, it might be a bit strong to get 3 minutes into a run.

i'm pretty sure i remember this weapon (cluckshot bow?) from when the game first game out and it was just as overpowered back then

Captain Flame Guy
Mar 11, 2012

Cluckeye bow owns and I'll always take it and try to make it work whenever I find it

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Sounds like one of the most requested changes will actually get implemented: blood chests/altars will draw from your red health instead of pinging your armor first.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I've been trying to do the infernal unlock for warrior and last run I had literally zero evil shops or black markets.
I love this game but sometimes!!!!!!!

Dropbear
Jul 26, 2007
Bombs away!

Your Computer posted:

In my experience, absolutely. To be honest I don't know why since on paper they don't sound that ludicrous, but the kazoo for instance is only a blue weapon and it's been by -far- the most damaging one I've seen in the entire game. The hell's final boss barely got to move before it keeled over the last time I found it. Other sound weapons I've found have been good as well (don't think I've tried them all, though).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schurik
Sep 13, 2008

Yeah, I was kind of down on them until I picked up one of the multishot ones, which are still homing, and they just delete rooms. Still don't see the point of you're not a bard though.