Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Maybe it takes place decades before the 2009 film because they have to go back in time to retrieve some whales

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo
You know what this unnecessary prequel needs?

That's right, an unnecessary prequel of its own

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic
I read it and assumed it meant like 20 years before Kelvin-Kirk stumbled into command of the Enterprise, not 20 years before he was born.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

maybeadracula posted:

You know what this unnecessary prequel needs?

That's right, an unnecessary prequel of its own

:hai:

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
The movie is called The Nausican and Trelane and stars Pedro Pascal as every character

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Discovery 501: Red Directive
Capt Burnham & the Discovery are sent to retrieve a mysterious 800 year-old Romulan vessel; until the artifact hidden inside is stolen, leading to an epic chase. Meanwhile, Saru is offered the position of a lifetime, and Tilly’s efforts to help pull her into a tangled web of secrecy.

Red matter, perhaps?

Also, it's a Romulan science ship from TNG. (Is this the first time New Trek has 'reimagined' a ship from TNG or other 90s era Trek?)

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Jan 11, 2024

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I just love Romulan Green. As long as Romulan ships are smooth and green, all is right with the world.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Brawnfire posted:

As long as Romulan ships are smooth and green, all is right with the world.

Well, they're green, but it doesn't look that smooth anymore.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Really that was what irked me about Nemesis more than anything. You had an opportunity to create the baddest-rear end Romulan ship, it coulda been some awesome shape and GREEN but instead it was a jumble of gray blades

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

MikeJF posted:

Well, they're green, but it doesn't look that smooth anymore.

That's true, but I'll accept "recognizable hull" even if they need to dial back the greebles

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

MikeJF posted:

Discovery 501: Red Directive
Capt Burnham & the Discovery are sent to retrieve a mysterious 800 year-old Romulan vessel; until the artifact hidden inside is stolen, leading to an epic chase. Meanwhile, Saru is offered the position of a lifetime, and Tilly’s efforts to help pull her into a tangled web of secrecy.

Red matter, perhaps?

Also, it's a Romulan science ship from TNG. (Is this the first time New Trek has 'reimagined' a ship from TNG or other 90s era Trek?)

If the McGuffin of the first episode is Red Matter then I can guarantee part of the season long drama will be whether they can use it to return to their timeline. Also that's a rubbish redesign.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
I just finished Prodigy. Loved it.

GORN trading ships????? HELPING the Federation????

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Atlas Hugged posted:

I just finished Prodigy. Loved it.

GORN trading ships????? HELPING the Federation????

There are numerous friendly Gorn on Starbase 25 in lower decks, including some who are part of the station staff. It seems by the late 24th century we can be friendly.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

I like the STO/Lower Decks take on Gorn more than the SNW. Instead of them being the not-Xenomorphs, they are normal if violent sentient species, frenemies with the Klingons, and autonomous part of the Klingon empire.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Honestly, I must have completely blanked that out as I've seen every episode of Lower Decks and none of that rings a bell.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Der Kyhe posted:

I like the STO/Lower Decks take on Gorn more than the SNW. Instead of them being the not-Xenomorphs, they are normal if violent sentient species, frenemies with the Klingons, and autonomous part of the Klingon empire.

I can only assume that SNW knows all of this and is setting up for a twist/reassessment of their version of the Gorn.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
The Gorn? Oh no sorry, we are the Gom, our typeset is a bit squished. Happens all the time.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Still holding out hope that SNW resolved the gorn plot by having the normal-gorn appearing to apologeticalnsay "sorry about those other gorn, those guys are assholes"

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I think you guys make a way bigger deal out of the Gorn than it's worth. The Gorn have only been depicted as slasher aliens as juveniles and the adult gorn have behaved basically as they do in TOS. They're physically more imposing than the lame rubber suit guy but that's the type of adaptation Star Trek has always done bwtween eras

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

MikeJF posted:

There are numerous friendly Gorn on Starbase 25 in lower decks, including some who are part of the station staff. It seems by the late 24th century we can be friendly.

Rutherford even got invited to a Gorn wedding!

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

No Dignity posted:

I think you guys make a way bigger deal out of the Gorn than it's worth. The Gorn have only been depicted as slasher aliens as juveniles and the adult gorn have behaved basically as they do in TOS. They're physically more imposing than the lame rubber suit guy but that's the type of adaptation Star Trek has always done bwtween eras

I don't know, the adult Gorn behaving well enough to be welcomed into Starfleet and having characters attend their weddings doesn't really gel with the idea that those some characters as juveniles were abducting entire planets and feeding them to their young.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Technowolf posted:

Rutherford even got invited to a Gorn wedding!

As the meal, but whatever...

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

PriorMarcus posted:

I don't know, the adult Gorn behaving well enough to be welcomed into Starfleet and having characters attend their weddings doesn't really gel with the idea that those some characters as juveniles were abducting entire planets and feeding them to their young.

That basically fits with their TOS portrayal. The adult Gorn being chill in later eras is character development, like how the Klingons go from being Vegeta (saiyan saga) to Vegeta (buu saga)

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
If I had to guess, I would say the SNW Gorn are just a fringe sect that wants to return to "the old ways" and view this whole thing as a way of maintaining tradition while the majority of Gorn society just eats and fucks like the rest of the galaxy. Will even guess that these "normal" Gorn are also going to be the heroes of the next SNW episode.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

swickles posted:

If I had to guess, I would say the SNW Gorn are just a fringe sect that wants to return to "the old ways" and view this whole thing as a way of maintaining tradition while the majority of Gorn society just eats and fucks like the rest of the galaxy. Will even guess that these "normal" Gorn are also going to be the heroes of the next SNW episode.
Even if Gorn need to implant their young into a large mammal, there are a number of large mammals here on Earth, many of which would be ranchable. It gets awkward if there was a second intelligent species on Gorn Prime who the Gorn historically parasitized, but that would seem to be the Klingon High Council's problem.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

swickles posted:

Oh, just like Star Trek: Resurgence.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Nessus posted:

Even if Gorn need to implant their young into a large mammal, there are a number of large mammals here on Earth, many of which would be ranchable. It gets awkward if there was a second intelligent species on Gorn Prime who the Gorn historically parasitized, but that would seem to be the Klingon High Council's problem.

Imqgine if an intelligent species habitually ate other life forms in order to survive, or just as part of their culture. Disgusting!

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

No Dignity posted:

Imqgine if an intelligent species habitually ate other life forms in order to survive, or just as part of their culture. Disgusting!

Well it's a good thing whales don't turn out to be sapient!

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

No Dignity posted:

I know it's hard to conceive, but we can't rule out the possibility of intelligence arising from the automatic behaviors needed to hunt and mutilate prey rather than planning optimal grazing strategies. This is the kind of thing science fiction is about.

Obviously, we can rule out omnivores. Those guys smell.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Welp

https://cordcuttersnews.com/paramount-is-reportedly-going-to-be-sold-at-auction-to-the-highest-bidder/

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Hey Jeffery, now's your chance

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises
Well, the third age of Star Trek was nice while it lasted. See y'all in like, 15 years when the fourth age begins.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Imagine how garbage it will have to be to make us nostalgic for this dreck

It will limbo under that bar

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I hope George Lucas buys it

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

John Wick of Dogs posted:

I hope George Lucas buys it

This would honestly be the funniest loving thing.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
With how well MS has been treating purchased game studios lately, them buying paramount to get into TV stuff wouldn't be the worst thing. Paramount already has Halo!

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
C'mon Apple

xerxus
Apr 24, 2010
Grimey Drawer
I think SNW is going with the idea that Gorn being bred from humanoids is slowly changing their genetic makeup gradually, into something that aligns with other series.

There's gonna be a civil war and the 'cooperative' Gorns will find that diplomacy and cooperation is better than killing each other.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

xerxus posted:

I think SNW is going with the idea that Gorn being bred from humanoids is slowly changing their genetic makeup gradually, into something that aligns with other series.

There's gonna be a civil war and the 'cooperative' Gorns will find that diplomacy and cooperation is better than killing each other.

Garak will remember this (and hates it)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002
The season two finale already set up that something environmental is driving the Gorn to the levels of hostility they're at in the SNW time, fixing that will almost certainly put them on the path to being the way we see them later