Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Big Bowie Bonanza posted:

Beast master is really underwhelming in tabletop and doesn’t seems like it got updated enough to be worth using in bg3

It did get a lot of fun tricks, and part of the frustration of BEastmaster in 5e is alleviated here vis-a-vis giving you a bunch of prebuilt companions to summon versus you having to become a master of the monster manual to find the One Companion Who Is Best. That said it does seem to be like Four Elements Monk in that while it got a lot of love (companions benefit from Hunter's Mark, and the fact their HP actually scales is extraordinarily useful), it didn't get enough to make it a super-compelling option unless you just like watching your Pokemon evolve as you gain levels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Beast master is really underwhelming in tabletop and doesn’t seems like it got updated enough to be worth using in bg3

You have to commit to building around the Animal Companion abilities to make Beastmaster viable. If you do, however, it can be a worthwhile class.

For example, the Raven summon gets the ability to conjure darkness wherever it flies. Combine that with equipment or abilities that let you see in darkness and you have a pretty good battlefield control option.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

I want Larian to do an Eberron game.

I want a full-blown Spelljammer game. Straight up swashbuckling naval combat in space, with wizards and poo poo. Board and hijack other ships. Encounter that one weird spelljammer that's just a barge carrying a giant stone head with fire in its mouth and you have to feed it books and relics and stuff to make it go. Drunk-drive your high fantasy spaceship into another dimension. Recruit weird beings and then get hit on by them. That's the CRPG I dream of

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

grack posted:

You have to commit to building around the Animal Companion abilities to make Beastmaster viable. If you do, however, it can be a worthwhile class.

For example, the Raven summon gets the ability to conjure darkness wherever it flies. Combine that with equipment or abilities that let you see in darkness and you have a pretty good battlefield control option.

Do those work? I haven't really experimented with it but I was under the impression that normal darkvision only lets you avoid the penalty for regular low lighting, and the warlock pack boon was the only thing that lets you see through the actual 'darkness' spell effect that summons a black cloud.

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

The eversight ring works in Magical darkness that’s how it beat the leap of faith trial before the patch.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

After like fifteen botched restarts, i finally have a good thing going with my dark urge sword bard. Still just in Act 1. But i'm getting worried, that i'm gonna run out of juice soon...

I'm playing on tactician and have found the game really pretty easy actually. I'm not minmaxing at all, all of my guys are in their base story classes, no multiclassing. I'm actively avoiding looting most boxes (just sticking to chests and items that show up when I hold Alt) and i'm still swimming in supplies and gold.

I just wiped out the three goblin bosses with nary a concern for anyone's health, reaching level 5. Haven't touched the underdark yet. Is being overlevelled going to be a concern?

Right now I'm starting to feel button fatigue, Shadowheart's hotbar in particular is just full of buttons, and i know it's only going to get worse. I unlocked illithid powers and loving hell, more buttons for the pile.

I am playing with mods, though the only gameplay-related ones are "share skills between party members in conversation", plus "max of 1 inspiration point" to balance things out a little

idk, just airing some "grievances"

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
Your builds won’t really start being checked til act 2 but overall the game is not really that difficult

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!
Nah, it's pretty hard to overlevel to a ridiculous degree, you'll probably just find yourself on the easier side of comfortable until things recalibrate. Level 5 makes a ton of difference because of the action economy, but you're not hitting it especially early or anything.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

I’ve been considering buying a nicer pc just to mod the game to make it more difficult, after 5 playthroughs I can think of a lot of ways to tweak things to make the game more difficult

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Snake Maze posted:

Do those work? I haven't really experimented with it but I was under the impression that normal darkvision only lets you avoid the penalty for regular low lighting, and the warlock pack boon was the only thing that lets you see through the actual 'darkness' spell effect that summons a black cloud.

Eversight Ring, Heldusk Helmet and Shar's Spear all let you see in magical darkness

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago

grack posted:

Eversight Ring, Heldusk Helmet and Shar's Spear all let you see in magical darkness

Lol

But good to know, it does seem like a fun combo to mess with once you get it set up. I ignored the eversight ring since enemies almost never tried to blind me but that makes it way more interesting.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MsDz-MTdNeE

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

jaete posted:

I had the same dialogue option as a wizard, so this one doesn't seem sorcerer specific

Oh, boo. Wizards and sorcerers hating each other seems like a funny dynamic to play off of and I wish they would have done it more.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

"Don't judge me. This is art!"

Duodecimal
Dec 28, 2012

Still stupid
My biggest gripe is I go through a lot of effort on the Custom action bar, and it keeps removing my buttons for common weapon attacks whenever I switch weapons. Or use the returning thrown weapons. Just grey them out if they're not available, larian.

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

"I don’t care if Biden beats Trump. I’m not offloading responsibility. If enough people feel similar to me, such as the large population of Muslim people in Dearborn, Michigan. Then he won’t"

I’ve hit two bugs lately:

1. Sneak attack not refreshing on a new turn. I get the message that I can only use this once per turn and I’m out of sneak attack counters. I have advantage and my rogue is top of the order. I can’t figure out what triggers this either as usually I can just keep sneak attacking every turn.

2. Fear spell not hitting anything. The cone does not highlight the circles on people’s feet, there are no saves, there are no misses. It simply casts a fear wave and then nothing happens. Like if I cast it into empty air. Enemies are humans and are not immune to fear. Even if they were immune I would expect the popup “Immune”.

Movement is also getting wonky in Act 3 and characters often tell me they can’t reach enemies and attack, even though if I manually move them they have lots of movement left over and can easily attack. This is just with base movement, obviously dashing/flying makes this problem even worse.

Frustrating! But I just learned that Eyebite: Sickened works on almost everything in the game and is very good.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
I only have Fly on a spiritual weapon and it's useless. "Not enough movement" cause of difficult terrain... yes, that's why I'm flying over it? It'll take a normal path to a height instead of just flying up to it. Makes no drat sense

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Perry Mason Jar posted:

I only have Fly on a spiritual weapon and it's useless. "Not enough movement" cause of difficult terrain... yes, that's why I'm flying over it? It'll take a normal path to a height instead of just flying up to it. Makes no drat sense

In case you are not already doing this, you don't Fly by pressing the button and then moving like Dash. You have to cast it on yourself, then use the action on the right side of the toolbar to actually fly there.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
I think they mean the spiritual weapon has fly, which it uses by default. The problem is that spiritual weapon only has like ten feet of movement, which means fly is essentially useless unless you are moving z axis which doesn't seem to cost movement speed. Any horizontal movement is going to quickly drain the spiritual weapon's movement speed nearly immediately.

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

space uncle posted:

I’ve hit two bugs lately:

1. Sneak attack not refreshing on a new turn. I get the message that I can only use this once per turn and I’m out of sneak attack counters. I have advantage and my rogue is top of the order. I can’t figure out what triggers this either as usually I can just keep sneak attacking every turn.

2. Fear spell not hitting anything. The cone does not highlight the circles on people’s feet, there are no saves, there are no misses. It simply casts a fear wave and then nothing happens. Like if I cast it into empty air. Enemies are humans and are not immune to fear. Even if they were immune I would expect the popup “Immune”.

Movement is also getting wonky in Act 3 and characters often tell me they can’t reach enemies and attack, even though if I manually move them they have lots of movement left over and can easily attack. This is just with base movement, obviously dashing/flying makes this problem even worse.

Frustrating! But I just learned that Eyebite: Sickened works on almost everything in the game and is very good.

I’ve gotten the sneak attack bug, no idea either. But I use mods.

Does anyone abuse Darkness, Hunger of Hadar, or Fog Cloud? I’m using the eversight ring and it seems like the AI doesn’t even want to risk taking a swing at disadvantage. But blind immune enemies don’t give a gently caress.

Black Noise fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Jan 11, 2024

Larry Cum Free
Jun 3, 2022

move it or lose it dillweed
Shattered Flail is crazy on an Act 1 paladin. A smite counts as hitting twice with the weapon, so any smite heals you 2d6, which is a lot for Act 1, and you're rarely missing with a +2 weapon that early.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
yeah Spiritual Weapon is severely limited by being slow as poo poo. like Beetus said its Fly ability is basically only useful for moving vertically but that's usually not all that helpful. because it's so slow, you want to summon it next to enemies. having enemies spread out severely limits ability to actually bonk things

Spiritual Weapon is still extremely good though. Hard to beat a summon at spell level 2 that only costs a bonus action. It doesn't scale well (not worth upcasting imo) but it's still really good throughout the game, it'll soak up a hit or two if nothing else.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

The gloves you get from the Zhentarim hideout work really well with Spiritual Weapon. It basically doubles HP for free because Spiritual Weapon is immune to Madness.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
^holy poo poo I know what Shadowheart is getting on my next run, had no idea sw would qualify for that. Makes sense I guess^

Pellisworth posted:

yeah Spiritual Weapon is severely limited by being slow as poo poo. like Beetus said its Fly ability is basically only useful for moving vertically but that's usually not all that helpful. because it's so slow, you want to summon it next to enemies. having enemies spread out severely limits ability to actually bonk things

Spiritual Weapon is still extremely good though. Hard to beat a summon at spell level 2 that only costs a bonus action. It doesn't scale well (not worth upcasting imo) but it's still really good throughout the game, it'll soak up a hit or two if nothing else.

Yeah, exactly. If it's a smaller arena or enemies are decently grouped up, you can do a lot of distraction and potentially soak hits. Also last time I was in the final battle my noble spiritual weapon got the last hit on the emperor. lol get owned binch

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009
The trick with spiritual weapon is that it's only a level 2 spell that costs a bonus action. If it's too far from enemies to do its job of soaking up hits, then just summon it again where it needs to be.

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Now that's what I call a geekMAN!
Every so often a Paladin enemy will smite my spiritual weapon and I’m like lolololol

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

It's also nice that Spiritual Weapon does force damage, which hardly anything resists so it's always a damage add. As long as it hits. And can reach the target. Though honestly since my Shadowheart almost always goes last on initiative, if the SW rolls poorly too it often gets forced to wait until round two to act, by which point it's too far from the action to matter.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

grack posted:

The gloves you get from the Zhentarim hideout work really well with Spiritual Weapon. It basically doubles HP for free because Spiritual Weapon is immune to Madness.

I've always struggled to imagine a good use for those gloves so on my next run I'll definitely have to make a War Cleric weapon zoo.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I tried Tavern Brawler druid on my early tactician run and man, they are fragile as gently caress. Should've just made monk, it's so awkward that they're spellcasters but also they just disappear when you're in animal form.

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

Whats the big deal about that deva mace (Planeslayer Flail) anyways.

"When wielded against fey, fiends, or undead foes, this weapon has a +1d4 bonus to Damage"

Yeah with those +2 attack gloves you're running around with a potential +8 weapon :stonk:. I can see why they locked that down.

Zirak
Oct 17, 2018
I've run into a weird sequence break thing in my current run in Act 2, mostly a dialogue-based one.

It involves finding out Isobel's true parentage. So every time I've done Act 2 the order of events I've done has consistently been: Find the Harpers being attacked -> go to Last Light -> initiate the fight with Marcus triggered by speaking to Isobel and save the Inn -> go to Moonrise -> everything else -> Mausoleum at the end.

There were always hints at her being Ketheric's daughter which are then confirmed if you find her bedroom in Moonrise. What I never realised until this most recent run is if you find her grave in the Mausoleum and then go back to Last Light you can talk to both her and Jaheira about it. If you talk to Jaheira about it and say you trust her she talks as if you've not spoken to Isobel yet even if you have, saying she'd like to turn your skill at finding secrets on Ketheric (again, even if you've already accepted that mission with the introduction to Last Light) and if you speak to Isobel she'll give you the light's protection if you ask, and this leads into dialogue where you can convince her Marcus is a traitor. If you pass the check to do this she says Marcus is upstairs and she'll setup an ambush with Harpers.

I reloaded at this stage because a) I've had Isobel's and the pixie's protection for ages at this point and b) Marcus has long been dead and Jaheira walked off and I didn't want to leave her with an event I can never trigger.

What I don't get is how this is supposed to go naturally. I've always found the order above to be the most logical and the one the breadcrumbs lead you to. Is the above dialogue relevant if you get the Moonlantern/pixie protection before going to Last Light and going to Moonrise first? I know Marcus is supposedly there if that's the case but what confuses me is you'd need to also find Isobel's grave this early to ask Jaheira about that?

So many hours in this game and so much new stuff I'm still finding, even if it's a bit sad the game doesn't account for the above order of events and breaks a little bit.

Zirak fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Jan 11, 2024

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Black Noise posted:

Whats the big deal about that deva mace (Planeslayer Flail) anyways.

"When wielded against fey, fiends, or undead foes, this weapon has a +1d4 bonus to Damage"

Yeah with those +2 attack gloves you're running around with a potential +8 weapon :stonk:. I can see why they locked that down.

The Deva Mace and Planeslayer Flail are completely different items.

The Deva Mace does 1d6 Physical + 4d8 Radiant damage. It has the most base damage of any weapon in the game.

Fabulous Knight
Nov 11, 2011
I'm close to the end of the game, probably late Act 3. It's been quite some time since Gortash told me that there was an impostor in my camp. Soon after seeing that cutscene I was browsing Youtube and came across a BG3 video titled "The impostor reveals themselves to the party". I managed to look away before I got spoiled on who the person in the thumbnail was. And since then I have killed Orin and naturally got the scene where she poses as one of your party members and then kidnaps them. I just want to know if Orin was the impostor Gortash spoke of, or if that's a separate thing still to come.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

Zirak posted:

I've run into a weird sequence break thing in my current run in Act 2, mostly a dialogue-based one.

It involves finding out Isobel's true parentage. So every time I've done Act 2 the order of events I've done has consistently been: Find the Harpers being attacked -> go to Last Light -> initiate the fight with Marcus triggered by speaking to Isobel and save the Inn -> go to Moonrise -> everything else -> Mausoleum at the end.

There were always hints at her being Ketheric's daughter which are then confirmed if you find her bedroom in Moonrise. What I never realised until this most recent run is if you find her grave in the Mausoleum and then go back to Last Light you can talk to both her and Jaheira about it. If you talk to Jaheira about it and say you trust her she talks as if you've not spoken to Isobel yet even if you have, saying she'd like to turn your skill at finding secrets on Ketheric (again, even if you've already accepted that mission with the introduction to Last Light) and if you speak to Isobel she'll give you the light's protection if you ask, and this leads into dialogue where you can convince her Marcus is a traitor. If you pass the check to do this she says Marcus is upstairs and she'll setup an ambush with Harpers.

I reloaded at this stage because a) I've had Isobel's and the pixie's protection for ages at this point and b) Marcus has long been dead and Jaheira walked off and I didn't want to leave her with an event I can never trigger.

What I don't get is how this is supposed to go naturally. I've always found the order above to be the most logical and the one the breadcrumbs lead you to. Is the above dialogue relevant if you get the Moonlantern/pixie protection before going to Last Light and going to Moonrise first? I know Marcus is supposedly there if that's the case but what confuses me is you'd need to also find Isobel's grave this early to ask Jaheira about that?

So many hours in this game and so much new stuff I'm still finding, even if it's a bit sad the game doesn't account for the above order of events and breaks a little bit.

It is a bit weird but if you side with the goblins against the grove and then take the mountain pass, you’ll already have the moon lantern from going to moonrise and talking to z’rell first and mol won’t be there to speak up for you at last light. It’s conceivable that you’d go to the tomb first because the only indication of the Harpers or last light is battling them on the side of the drider ambush, so you go to moonrise and then to the tomb, but it’s possible to just charge straight into the gauntlet that way. If you leave after that and go to last light, Marcus instead will vouch for you and then at that time you get the “Marcus is upstairs” dialogue I think and can ambush him

Big Bowie Bonanza fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Jan 11, 2024

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

"I don’t care if Biden beats Trump. I’m not offloading responsibility. If enough people feel similar to me, such as the large population of Muslim people in Dearborn, Michigan. Then he won’t"

Zirak posted:

I can’t really answer your question about the alternate path, but I can tell you I followed the same path as you and had the same jarring out of order dialogue. I just talked it all through and nothing happened, because like you said - he’s already dead outside.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
It’s possible to just do the ambush and get the pixie blessing without ever talking to Isobel, then head over to Moonrise and do everything there, so if you play your cards right it should be possible to get the dialogue to trigger when it’s still relevant, but it’s probably not what most people will do on their first playthrough.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
Debate and/or Discuss.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

grack posted:

The Deva Mace and Planeslayer Flail are completely different items.

The Deva Mace does 1d6 Physical + 4d8 Radiant damage. It has the most base damage of any weapon in the game.

Whats that even called I was scrounging through the wiki to see if I missed a mace and apparently I didn't see it.

Zirak
Oct 17, 2018
Ah, interesting! Thanks!

I guess those dialogue options do make more sense if you beeline Moonrise before Last Light which you can conceivably do even as a good character by siding with the Harpers against the Drider in the ambush. I'd just never tried to go back and ask Isobel about Ketheric being her dad before because in my previous playthroughs I just did the Mausoleum and the Gauntlet in one go. This time I tried out of curiosity and it's neat that you can, but the dialogue with Jaheira is definitely something that should go on the "to be polished" pile.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bsaber
Jul 27, 2007
Does anyone ITT play on Linux and tried using mods? If so, what’s your experience with it or should I just stick to playing it on windows like a loser?