Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Would have expected HR to step in at some point and question how the best candidates for the role all happened to be people from the last place

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Internet Explorer posted:

I saw your update in the job thread. That's a real bummer. Thanks for trying to help out goons.

And is it just me or is it a bit of a red flag that 4 out of 4 positions were filled from the hiring manager's previous contacts? Seems a bit over the top. From a consolidation of power standpoint, but also from a "doesn't think the hiring practices have produced good hires" (aka current employees suck) perspective.

Making it a super-duper red flag, the former org is Cerner.

Thanks Ants posted:

Would have expected HR to step in at some point and question how the best candidates for the role all happened to be people from the last place

Guess what our new director is from the same org, and is the one that brought in this manager.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Sorry about your pod. :(

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost
We are in the works for new core switching, and have pretty much made a decision for Juniper gear and this morning we see that HPE is in talks to buy Juniper. So now we need to decide if we want to deal with HPE's bullshit, or spend more money on Cisco. HPE ruins all that it touches.

Filthy Lucre
Feb 27, 2006
Arista isn't terrible. The command set is near identical to Cisco IOS.

The only real downside I've seen is that the lead times can be lengthy depending on what you're buying.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Sorry about your pod. :(

Thanks. It's not all bleak. In the little fiefdom that I inhabit this is only one of three directors, and one of 12 teams.

The team I'm on continues to be great, and despite also being under this same director we haven't had a huge impact. yet

The SRE team just happens to be the one we work with the most, so changes to that team are super visible to us.

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

if wishes were fishes fuck you this is my pie

I saw your update in the job thread. That's a real bummer. Thanks for trying to help out goons.

And is it just me or is it a bit of a red flag that 4 out of 4 positions were filled from the hiring manager's previous contacts? Seems a bit over the top. From a consolidation of power standpoint, but also from a "doesn't think the hiring practices have produced good hires" (aka current employees suck) perspective.

Red flag doesnt even begin to describe it

Weedle
May 31, 2006

From a consolidation of power standpoint, but also from a "doesn't think the hiring practices have produced good hires" (aka current employees suck) perspective.

i'd be shocked if they thought about it this much as opposed to "i want my work friends from the old place"

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

theyre making me work on AI stuff and when I see poo poo like this I die a little inside each time

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Reoxygenation posted:

Red flag doesnt even begin to describe it

Like you've never accidentally hit a copy-paste and hit Send before realizing. Give the guy a break!

Edit: the joke being that his copy-paste filled the jobs

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

if wishes were fishes fuck you this is my pie
Lol I have once again been told of an upcoming release that is less than 2 weeks away I am getting really tired of this, we had discussions for like months on end and wrote whole rear end processes and people still act like caveman and try to get quality work out the door a bare week or two before a product release

I feel like a broken clock but I am getting quite tired of being informed last of a bunch of stuff but people still expect things out of me like which loving is it are we serious about this or not. what the hell.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Thanks Ants posted:

At my joint it was HR that brought in all their old friends (after we got C&D’d by the director’s old job, where they had been mining shamelessly)

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Polio Vax Scene posted:

theyre making me work on AI stuff and when I see poo poo like this I die a little inside each time

We all knew AI wasn't about making anyone's lives better and Duolingo is just a demonstration of it. The sole motivation is to reduce headcount so the C levels can get another yacht.

The version of capitalism we have is a failing system and this is just another nudge towards the whole thing snapping.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Lol ... I'm the out of touch IT Manager doing more hands-on work than usual because most of my team is out or sick.

Wtf Apple silicon laptops can only factory reset to the OS they came with? I know it's literally in the name, but the Intel ones let you load (via internet) whatever was last on there as opposed to just what was on the recovery partition.

They also had a network boot that let you pick the OS, though I don't remember if nor think they let you use something newer.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Arquinsiel posted:

The tech lead
This saga has ended at my former employer. The tech lead who caused them to lose their entire penetration testing team, 60% of the company's revenue, has "decided to go solo" and start his own company. Since they don't really fire people so much as "invite them to pursue other opportunities" I'm skeptical that this was a thing he decided to do over the Christmas break.

They're now trying to hire people to replace all of the good people they lost :allears:

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

CitizenKain posted:

We are in the works for new core switching, and have pretty much made a decision for Juniper gear and this morning we see that HPE is in talks to buy Juniper. So now we need to decide if we want to deal with HPE's bullshit, or spend more money on Cisco. HPE ruins all that it touches.

I'd take a serious look at Extreme Networks and their 802.1aq / Shortest Path Bridging-based network fabric.

We migrated our entire city-wide IT network (3000+ employees, 150+ switches, a few hundred APs, extended core across 5 locations with multiple 100 gig links between them etc, 10/25 gig to aggregate switches) between 2020-2022 and It Just Works™️. Their approach to NAC and port autosense is also quite good and enables very powerful automation that is fairly straight forward to implement.

Also mostly done setting up a new fabric for the OT datacenter side of things, and we've just started rolling out a new city-wide (100+ locations) OT network using fabric as well.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I want any other Wi-Fi vendor to copy what Aruba do with Cloud Auth because it's magical.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

teethgrinder posted:

Lol ... I'm the out of touch IT Manager doing more hands-on work than usual because most of my team is out or sick.

Wtf Apple silicon laptops can only factory reset to the OS they came with? I know it's literally in the name, but the Intel ones let you load (via internet) whatever was last on there as opposed to just what was on the recovery partition.

They also had a network boot that let you pick the OS, though I don't remember if nor think they let you use something newer.

You can factory reset an arm mac to the current build so by using configurator from another macbook or mac. Same workflow as a managed ipad or iphone.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Well thank you. Had no idea. Our vendor and Mosyle support said it was impossible to staff. Was my first time looking at it.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

Nap Ghost

Wibla posted:

I'd take a serious look at Extreme Networks and their 802.1aq / Shortest Path Bridging-based network fabric.

We migrated our entire city-wide IT network (3000+ employees, 150+ switches, a few hundred APs, extended core across 5 locations with multiple 100 gig links between them etc, 10/25 gig to aggregate switches) between 2020-2022 and It Just Works™️. Their approach to NAC and port autosense is also quite good and enables very powerful automation that is fairly straight forward to implement.

Also mostly done setting up a new fabric for the OT datacenter side of things, and we've just started rolling out a new city-wide (100+ locations) OT network using fabric as well.

I'd like to, if we have to restart all our bidding I don't want to leave anyone out. Although I'm very unfamiliar with Extreme's products.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Polio Vax Scene posted:

As someone who has been studying Japanese for 3 years, I can say that Duolingo sucks and always sucked. They are the Twitter of the language learning app world, and they are in the inevitable phase of "there is no more market share to obtain and all our VC backers are demanding we start making money somehow." There are many platforms with passionate teams and actually sustainable business models that don't involve tricking you into increasing user engagement numbers with the lie that you will somehow learn a language as a side effect.

Tinder is the end game of this, where you hook a few whales and make sure they never actually achieve their goals (because then they'd leave), but always feel like those goals are just a few hundred more dollars away.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Filthy Lucre posted:

Arista isn't terrible. The command set is near identical to Cisco IOS.

The only real downside I've seen is that the lead times can be lengthy depending on what you're buying.

Does Arista have any better user access-level/campus switching offerings than they had, I dunno, pre-pandemic? I have heard nothing but good things about them, but they seemed very datacenter-focused.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

KillHour posted:

As someone who has been studying Japanese for 3 years, I can say that Duolingo sucks and always sucked. They are the Twitter of the language learning app world, and they are in the inevitable phase of "there is no more market share to obtain and all our VC backers are demanding we start making money somehow." There are many platforms with passionate teams and actually sustainable business models that don't involve tricking you into increasing user engagement numbers with the lie that you will somehow learn a language as a side effect.

Tinder is the end game of this, where you hook a few whales and make sure they never actually achieve their goals (because then they'd leave), but always feel like those goals are just a few hundred more dollars away.

Like most language learning services, I have always felt Duolingo was trash at its core function. The only language learning service I have ever thought was any good was Pimsleur, which a friend recommended to me, for which I am eternally grateful. 30 days into a 30-day language program (it was the first of several modules), I could speak enough of the language conversationally that I would have gotten by if I'd been plunked down in that country. The only weakness of Pimsleur, IMO, is that it is almost entirely focused on speaking, not reading and writing, and that can be a huge issue for something like Japanese that has an entirely different character set. There's a "reading booklet" and they will occasionally have you reference it, but in my experience it doesn't get much more involved than reading what the booklet says out loud.

The rest of it is entirely audio, and it is actually great for doing in the car if you aren't too distracted. Their big thing is "graduated recall," where they teach something, then move on to another thing, then back to the first thing. Then they'll do a couple other things, then back to the first thing. A little later they'll do the second thing again. Basically they review stuff at increasingly long intervals, which they say helps you retain it. I can't speak to the science but I can say it worked great for me.

Pimsleur can be expensive, but libraries often have it available to borrow for free, both on CD and digitally. And if you do buy it, well, for how effective it is, I think it's a bargain. There's nothing I would recommend more except actual classes.

EDIT: I remembered one other service that was good, LiveMocha. I have not used it in well over a decade so I have no idea if it is still any good, and I felt it was best used as a supplement to Pimsleur. Their thing is that native speakers help users learn their language, and that also means you help people who want to learn your language. You'll grade each other's exercises, you'll converse. I talked to a guy in Rio over Skype a few times. A great thing about it is you can ask questions of native speakers, but it also just feels great to feel you're broadening your horizons.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

guppy posted:

Like most language learning services, I have always felt Duolingo was trash at its core function. The only language learning service I have ever thought was any good was Pimsleur, which a friend recommended to me, for which I am eternally grateful. 30 days into a 30-day language program (it was the first of several modules), I could speak enough of the language conversationally that I would have gotten by if I'd been plunked down in that country. The only weakness of Pimsleur, IMO, is that it is almost entirely focused on speaking, not reading and writing, and that can be a huge issue for something like Japanese that has an entirely different character set. There's a "reading booklet" and they will occasionally have you reference it, but in my experience it doesn't get much more involved than reading what the booklet says out loud.

The rest of it is entirely audio, and it is actually great for doing in the car if you aren't too distracted. Their big thing is "graduated recall," where they teach something, then move on to another thing, then back to the first thing. Then they'll do a couple other things, then back to the first thing. A little later they'll do the second thing again. Basically they review stuff at increasingly long intervals, which they say helps you retain it. I can't speak to the science but I can say it worked great for me.

Pimsleur can be expensive, but libraries often have it available to borrow for free, both on CD and digitally. And if you do buy it, well, for how effective it is, I think it's a bargain. There's nothing I would recommend more except actual classes.

EDIT: I remembered one other service that was good, LiveMocha. I have not used it in well over a decade so I have no idea if it is still any good, and I felt it was best used as a supplement to Pimsleur. Their thing is that native speakers help users learn their language, and that also means you help people who want to learn your language. You'll grade each other's exercises, you'll converse. I talked to a guy in Rio over Skype a few times. A great thing about it is you can ask questions of native speakers, but it also just feels great to feel you're broadening your horizons.

Many of the good services for learning Japanese are Japanese-specific, but "graduated recall" is basically just a fancy word for SRS (Spaced Repetition System), which pretty much every decent modern app uses. If you just want a generic SRS system, Anki is free and there are like a billion decks for it covering everything from Arabic to Zoology: https://apps.ankiweb.net/

The other thing good language apps have in common is that their goal is to get you to graduate from the app at some point. They are all clear that the main way you should be learning a language is engaging with native content - books, movies, TV, conversations with native speakers. The SRS is to reinforce and remind you of the things you learn doing native immersion.

Japanese specifically doesn't really have a single platform because of the thing you mentioned with the reading and writing. Here are the ones I use:

https://www.wanikani.com/ - Kanji SRS. That's it. That's all it does.
https://bunpro.jp/ - Grammar dictionary and SRS. Has a metric poo poo-ton of example sentences, which is great. Also has basic vocab decks that all have extensive context sentences. The best thing is that it links other (free) grammar resources for each point, which is really cool because it means you get multiple different ways of explaining the same thing and they aren't trying to pretend they have a monopoly on teaching grammar.
https://kitsun.io/ - It's Anki but paid. I like the interface better. This is what I use for vocab flash cards.
https://www.satorireader.com/ - Japanese stories ranging from easy to intermediate with translations and grammar explanations for every sentence, along with native narration. Good tool for getting comfortable reading native content.

That's it for the apps. One for kanji, one for grammar, one for vocab, and one for reading practice before bed when I don't want to deal with the hassle of looking up words and grammar manually. They are all upfront about being paid services, and they all put a substantial amount of effort into encouraging me to engage with native content outside the app and actually using the language instead of playing a fake video game pretending to teach me something.

The well-known "talk to another human" platform for Japanese is italki, but I haven't used it.

KillHour fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Jan 10, 2024

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

teethgrinder posted:

Well thank you. Had no idea. Our vendor and Mosyle support said it was impossible to staff. Was my first time looking at it.
If you want to reset it back to factory defaults with the currently installed OS and you have admin credentials you can also use the 'Erase all Content and Settings' option in System Settings which works basically the same as iOS and only takes a few minutes. Apple Silicon Macs keep the boot OS on a separate read-only partition to where the data is stored so all the process does is gets rid of the data partition and trash the encryption keys which effectively resets it to the Out of Box experience.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

guppy posted:

Like most language learning services, I have always felt Duolingo was trash at its core function. The only language learning service I have ever thought was any good was Pimsleur, which a friend recommended to me, for which I am eternally grateful. 30 days into a 30-day language program (it was the first of several modules), I could speak enough of the language conversationally that I would have gotten by if I'd been plunked down in that country.

I will check that out! I've been doing French with Duolinguo for a while now and I'm seeing some gaps in its coverage. The premium AI features are hot loving garbage. They cost themselves money by giving me a 3-day trial of it.

Merci!

Filthy Lucre
Feb 27, 2006

guppy posted:

Does Arista have any better user access-level/campus switching offerings than they had, I dunno, pre-pandemic? I have heard nothing but good things about them, but they seemed very datacenter-focused.

I can't really speak to their access-level gear pre-pandemic, but I am planning on getting my first switch that would fill that role this year. Probably something in the 720 line.

Most of my Arista use is the 7280R3K as peering routers at an IX. I have an R3 at the SIX taking multiple copies of the global table that still has about half of it's memory left.
I also have a couple of R3s serving as Distro routers feeding around a thousand customers each. These are probably overkill, but it's nice not having to spare multiple types of routers.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

CitizenKain posted:

I'd like to, if we have to restart all our bidding I don't want to leave anyone out. Although I'm very unfamiliar with Extreme's products.

You want universal hardware.

Here's the cliffs notes for wired:

7720 - 32x100gig
7520 - 48x1/10 copper or 48x10/25 SFP+/SFP28 + 6 or 8x100gig uplinks
5720 - 24 or 48 multi-gig copper PoE + 2x100gig (+ optional VIM, either 2x100gig or 6x10/25gig) uplinks
5520 - 24 or 48 port copper (PoE optional), or SFP / SFP+, 2x40gig or VIM with 2x40gig or 4x10/25gig uplinks
5420F - 24 or 48 port copper (PoE optional), 24x SFP, 4x10 gig uplinks
5420M - mostly the same as the F, but with 10/25gig uplinks
5320 - 16-24-48 port copper (PoE optional), 4-8x10gig uplinks

We built our IT network with mostly 7400 (predecessor of 7720) with 32x100gig in the extended core, 5520 as aggregate switches, and 5420/5320 for access + wireless APs.

The OT network is being built with 7400 (predecessor of 7520) with 48x10/25 + 8x100 and 7520s in the extended core, 5520s as aggregate switches and 5420F-24P-4XE, 5320-24P-8XE for access.

Building a SPB network is different from a "classic" network in the sense that you no longer need to give a gently caress about loops on interfaces between switches (NNI - network-network interface), each fabric switch calculates the shortest path between two ports and that gets distributed using IS-IS.
You also have virtual services (i-sid) instead of VLANs in the fabric, it's a 24bit identifier (so 16+ million possible services, theoretically), those come in several flavours - L2-VSN is a straight up L2 service across any ports you define it for, L3-VSN is an L3 routed service across any ports you define for it, there's also L2-etree that's basically a fabric-wide PVLAN, as well as a "Transparent" service that is a pseudowire across the fabric, that's entirely transparent (hence the name) to whatever you plug into either end.

The big thing (for me, at least) is that all of this poo poo is supported native in the SPB fabric, it's all taken care of by IS-IS between switches, you don't need a ton of supporting servers etc to do all the actual fabric stuff, and the network underlay takes care of itself.

Here's a primer in a funny format :haw:

We're also heavy users of network automation using Extreme's Site Engine and Extreme Control NAC solution, to the point where most of our network ports are set to autosense and it very, very rarely requires any manual janitoring.

E: added some more stuff

Wibla fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Jan 10, 2024

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

Nap Ghost

Wibla posted:

You want universal hardware.

Here's the cliffs notes for wired:

7720 - 32x100gig
7520 - 48x1/10 copper or 48x10/25 SFP+/SFP28 + 6 or 8x100gig uplinks
5720 - 24 or 48 multi-gig copper PoE + 2x100gig (+ optional VIM, either 2x100gig or 6x10/25gig) uplinks
5520 - 24 or 48 port copper (PoE optional), or SFP / SFP+, 2x40gig or VIM with 2x40gig or 4x10/25gig uplinks
5420F - 24 or 48 port copper (PoE optional), 24x SFP, 4x10 gig uplinks
5420M - mostly the same as the F, but with 10/25gig uplinks
5320 - 16-24-48 port copper (PoE optional), 4-8x10gig uplinks

We built our IT network with mostly 7400 (predecessor of 7720) with 32x100gig in the extended core, 5520 as aggregate switches, and 5420/5320 for access + wireless APs.

The OT network is being built with 7400 (predecessor of 7520) with 48x10/25 + 8x100 and 7520s in the extended core, 5520s as aggregate switches and 5420F-24P-4XE, 5320-24P-8XE for access.

Building a SPB network is different from a "classic" network in the sense that you no longer need to give a gently caress about loops on interfaces between switches (NNI - network-network interface), each fabric switch calculates the shortest path between two ports and that gets distributed using IS-IS.

We're also heavy users of network automation using Extreme's Site Engine and Extreme Control NAC solution, to the point where most of our network ports are set to autosense.

Interesting, thanks. By the sounds of it we probably aren't changing anything at the moment, management doesn't seem interested. Also we are treating our access switches far differently then our core, we have a lot of small branches so those are going Meraki.
We are a big network, but not at the core side, as so much of our equipment has gone to VMs and cloud.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I'm trying to hold off on switch refreshes until 48 port 2.5Gb PoE with 4x SFP28 uplinks become the bog standard access switch. Probably will never happen seeing how long Cisco and Aruba were offering 100Mb models for.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

"zero trust" has leaked into my org and this has resulted in an end to some types of announcements being sent by email (because they can't trust email, even though we have to log in to it with 2fa). So instead they set up an internal website that we're supposed to check every day for announcements, and we have to log into that with 2fa. They want us to set it as our home page, ensuring we get constantly blasted with login prompts.

End result? People are starting to miss announcements because no one's cool with that bullshit.

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

xzzy posted:

"zero trust" has leaked into my org and this has resulted in an end to some types of announcements being sent by email (because they can't trust email, even though we have to log in to it with 2fa). So instead they set up an internal website that we're supposed to check every day for announcements, and we have to log into that with 2fa. They want us to set it as our home page, ensuring we get constantly blasted with login prompts.

End result? People are starting to miss announcements because no one's cool with that bullshit.

I promise you people were missing those announcements before by ignoring the emails

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

lol I just gone inventorying 90 new Juniper switches and hear about the HP thing

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

xzzy posted:

A while back, marketing wanted us to make the main company SharePoint site the default whenever you opened a new tab, so they could get better engagement numbers or some poo poo.

And surprise, same deal - lots of login prompts. I put the CIO in the test group and that got squashed pretty quick.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Dandywalken posted:

lol I just gone inventorying 90 new Juniper switches and hear about the HP thing

I really can't see HPE's involvement making GBS threads up Juniper within a normal replacement cycle if you've just got the kit in. Maybe I'm way too optimistic - I've just had to deal with the Poly acquisition ensuring none of the technical documentation can be found any more.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Thanks Ants posted:

I'm trying to hold off on switch refreshes until 48 port 2.5Gb PoE with 4x SFP28 uplinks become the bog standard access switch. Probably will never happen seeing how long Cisco and Aruba were offering 100Mb models for.

It is bog standard, if you can afford it :sun:

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

There's some bargain looking Dell models come to think of it, but they never seemed that interested in giving me a price when I asked

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

Nap Ghost

devmd01 posted:

A while back, marketing wanted us to make the main company SharePoint site the default whenever you opened a new tab, so they could get better engagement numbers or some poo poo.

And surprise, same deal - lots of login prompts. I put the CIO in the test group and that got squashed pretty quick.

We had our intranet page as the forced homepage in chrome and we eventually hit some threshold of users where it overwhelmed on of the DCs with requests from the page. When they were designing it, I noticed they used a background image that was 2-3mb in size. Took a surprising amount of convincing that wasn't a good idea.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

devmd01 posted:

You sneaky genius :golfclap:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Test group of one