Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I do wish the Re:Link cast was more out there but given how long the game has been in development it makes sense I guess. But cmon..Give us Wilnas, Give us Lobelia...Give us Fediel!!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

Have you heard of Fermat's principle?

Countblanc posted:

I just watched the big stream they did earlier and the boss fights look fun, but the not-boss fighting seems pretty hollow and the easier bosses also don't seem particularly exciting. My big worry is that the game takes too long to become mechanically interesting and also that there isn't enough of the meatier stuff, but that's just speculation.

E: basically I'm reminded of the first few hours of old monhun titles where you just collect mushrooms and kill 12 jaggis. You can breeze past that stuff if you know what you're doing but as a new person with no context you have no clue what's important yet so it can really make things seem more boring than they are.

That's my biggest worry as well: as much as I really am interested, I get the sinking feeling that this game might be one of those where sure, the endgame bosses are brilliant and challenging, but you need to get through so much unskippable content with tons of cutscenes/walk-n-talk and trash fights that pose no resistance at all. Basically, this could be one of those 'it gets better after X hours' games like FFXIV and, well, gacha games in general. I'm not even trying to flex or want things to be too hardcore since I'm too used to G Rank hunts or whatever: I'm fine starting out a new MonHun game because they always make things interesting and challenging from the start, whereas a lot of gacha games make it so enemies are so weak you're never in any danger for such a long time. Hoping to be proven wrong!

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

They said ReLink's main story is only about 20-30 hours long, this isn't some FF14 style 300 hours to get to endgame thing.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I feel like people are taking the MH comparisons a bit too literally.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Yeah I think people are leaning a bit too hard into the MonHun and FFXIV stuff. And it pretty much is going to be more ARPG than Mon Hun mechanically. It's a one button combo system afaik with face buttons for various cooldowns.

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I feel like people are taking the MH comparisons a bit too literally.
I guess that's what happens when you have a hub-quest counter system!!! The MH scars run deep

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

like to be clear on, what this is since i think wires are getting crossed

1) it is an action rpg
2) it has a 20-30 hour long main game with a bunch of setpieces and stuff
3) once you clear the game you can get into a loop of clearing endgame bosses to get better gear to unlock harder versions of endgame bosses to get better gear, etc
4) it is not a live service game, its more just a post-game grind

the monhun comparison is in, the structure of that post-game grind, not the game as a whole

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

It honestly feels like a more fleshed out Dragalia Lost raid system than G rank MH stuff which people seem to think it's going to be.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
I tried to watch some streams over a quick lunch break and it was either people staring at draphs wondering "wtf" or people getting bodied by the golem

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Rascyc posted:

I tried to watch some streams over a quick lunch break and it was either people staring at draphs wondering "wtf" or people getting bodied by the golem
truly it is the granblue experience

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Someone give me a 'Monster Hunter-like' games grind ranking

Where do: Monster Hunter, Dauntless, God Eater, Wild Hearts, etc stack up? It's not a genre I'm very familiar with so I'm not entirely sure about the precedent for all this grinding panic where all the cool stuff only happens after 31/2 weeks of time put into playing the game.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

RareAcumen posted:

Where do: Monster Hunter, Dauntless, God Eater, Wild Hearts, etc stack up? It's not a genre I'm very familiar with so I'm not entirely sure about the precedent for all this grinding panic where all the cool stuff only happens after 31/2 weeks of time put into playing the game.

The entire game genre is grind. You are fighting the same monster over and over to get items to make better gear to fight another monster. That's all of em.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

I briefly played one of the games in Level-5's footie-RPG franchise Inazuma Eleven. Not so much for myself, but to see if it something my nephew would like. The verdict on that was "no", but I did find it amusing how it is localized for the English language. The games still take place in Japan, the schools the kids are playing for go by their Japanese names... but the character names, their voice actors and their manner of speech is very Bri'ish.

I'm guessing it would take a lot of effort to radically change that. Or maybe they took a future-proofed approach in case the Japanese schools end up taking on international teams?

'aving a nosh wif me mum and da, in our traditional living room

Either a Wikipedia editor is trolling or these games have some batshit escalation with their plot tho. The first game:
The main character, Mark Evans (円堂 守 Endō Mamoru), is a very talented goalkeeper. He plays for his high school's soccer team called Raimon Junior High, which has just won the Football Frontier. One day, the aliens from Alius Academy, a mysterious school that trains its students into making soccer a tool to destroy other schools, approach and wreck Raimon Junior High, sending the Raimon Eleven into a journey to stop the aliens, the soccer team named Gemini Storm, with Raimon Eleven's last gift, the van called Inazuma Bus. The heroes have to travel around Japan, recruit new players, seek the secret behind the Alius Academy and save Japan from being destroyed.

From a game series with a different main character:
10 years after the FFI, an unnoticed darkness lurks behind the country; Japan and what used to be soccer has changed over the decade. Because of the victory of Inazuma National, soccer has become greatly popular and influential in the country, to the point that a school's worth is directly proportional to the skill of their soccer team. The weak schools are forgotten and forced to close down due to lack of public interest and applicants. Soccer in Japan is now controlled by an organization called Fifth Sector and is led by the one known as the "Holy Emperor" Alex Zabel. Soccer in its current state is controlled and relies on the commands of the Holy Emperor on whether a team wins or loses based on set scores. This saved schools all over the nation from closing down by balancing tournaments—but a price had to be paid: "real soccer" didn't exist.

Did Captain Tsubasa ever have to deal with stuff like this?!

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Jan 11, 2024

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Mierenneuker posted:

I briefly played one of the games in Level-5's footie-RPG franchise Inazuma Eleven. Not so much for myself, but to see if it something my nephew would like. The verdict on that was "no", but I did find it amusing how it is localized for the English language. The games still take place in Japan, the schools the kids are playing for go by their Japanese names... but the character names, their voice actors and their manner of speech is very Bri'ish.

I'm guessing it would take a lot of effort to change things. Or maybe they took a future-proofed approach in case the Japanese schools end up taking on international teams?

Either a Wikipedia editor is trolling or these games have some batshit escalation with their plot tho.
The main character, Mark Evans (円堂 守 Endō Mamoru), is a very talented goalkeeper. He plays for his high school's soccer team called Raimon Junior High, which has just won the Football Frontier. One day, the aliens from Alius Academy, a mysterious school that trains its students into making soccer a tool to destroy other schools, approach and wreck Raimon Junior High, sending the Raimon Eleven into a journey to stop the aliens, the soccer team named Gemini Storm, with Raimon Eleven's last gift, the van called Inazuma Bus. The heroes have to travel around Japan, recruit new players, seek the secret behind the Alius Academy and save Japan from being destroyed.

10 years after the FFI, an unnoticed darkness lurks behind the country; Japan and what used to be soccer has changed over the decade. Because of the victory of Inazuma National, soccer has become greatly popular and influential in the country, to the point that a school's worth is directly proportional to the skill of their soccer team. The weak schools are forgotten and forced to close down due to lack of public interest and applicants. Soccer in Japan is now controlled by an organization called Fifth Sector and is led by the one known as the "Holy Emperor" Alex Zabel. Soccer in its current state is controlled and relies on the commands of the Holy Emperor on whether a team wins or loses based on set scores. This saved schools all over the nation from closing down by balancing tournaments—but a price had to be paid: "real soccer" didn't exist.

Did Captain Tsubasa ever have to deal with stuff like this?!

I actually played the original trilogy (and am somewhat aware of the GO plots) and I can tell you that summary is mostly correct and it escalates like that.

Well, the alien thing is actually a secret project that was planned to create supersoldiers but the PM of Japan said no so the mastermind decided to use it to ruin soccer, the kids are not aliens.

The sequel series does end up with the protagonists joining an intergallactic soccer tournament to save the Earth.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
from what little I know about inazuma 11 that's not trolling

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Well, I guess it's good to hear that Wikipedia's sanctity is preserved on those pages. And I guess the anime franchise is just extremely anime. I could joke about it eventually getting an isekai soccer spin-off, but it probably already exists and is on its fourth season right now!

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Only two potatoes in Relink... That's disappointing

I'm also surprised to find out it doesn't apparently play like a ys game which is what I was expecting

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

idk about soccer isekai but the 90s had a mecha soccer (and other sports) anime that ruled

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__l0SaZP930

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Meowywitch posted:

Only two potatoes in Relink... That's disappointing

I'm also surprised to find out it doesn't apparently play like a ys game which is what I was expecting

They should make a Ys game that plays like a Ys game imo

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I love when a series has a premise of something mundane and just loving runs with it unironically.

Like half the fun of YGO is that people are like "You have the power of GOD... but I will OVERCOME GOD and SLIT YOUR THROAT WITH MY CARD" and that poo poo owns.

Endorph posted:

idk about soccer isekai but the 90s had a mecha soccer (and other sports) anime that ruled

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__l0SaZP930

Iron Leaguer is SO GOOD. I absolutely can not express how much I love Iron Leaguer. It is occasionally batshit insane in the best ways and the finale is one of my absolute favorites and a fantastic climax to the series.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

RareAcumen posted:

You get three camps of people playing this genre in my experience --

1 - The take it as comes player. You just play the game, follow your heart's desire, do whatever
2 - The sprint to end game. The end game is their only idea of "the grind". Since all other gear/upgrades along the way are disposable, what's the point? Just sprint to end game ASAP so I can grind the GOOD stuff. These tend to be the types who want like ULTRA DEEP combat too and think they can only experience the DEEPNESS at end game.
3 - The completionist - does EVERYTHING. Including optional missions that they don't enjoy.

Each of these groups have issues with the genre. Completionists worry they'll be bored out of their mind if there's too many stupid things for their rubber stamp. Sprinters just want to get to the end game as fast as possible so things like a story mode can irritate them if it's drawn out. The people who just play the game can sometimes get completely lost and give up out of frustration.

So all the various clones try to cater to one group a little bit more than the others. Monster Hunter is one of the few games that tries to do literally everything so the MH fans tend to be the most vocal groups IMO.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

I love when a series has a premise of something mundane and just loving runs with it unironically.

Like half the fun of YGO is that people are like "You have the power of GOD... but I will OVERCOME GOD and SLIT YOUR THROAT WITH MY CARD" and that poo poo owns.

Just started watching Utena and I loving love the student council meeting with the same ominous grandeur of the reveal of the real antagonists halfway through a Xeno- game

DNE
Nov 24, 2007

Schwarzwald posted:

Franken, which is otherwise the complete opposite of False Skies with about two hours of play and no real mechanics.

I liked Franken a lot!

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
When people say "its an ARPG", what does that mean exactly? I just played through SoP this month and I assume that's an ARPG right? It isn't really mechanically shallow but that sorta feels like the vibe people are implying when taking about what to expect with Relink - don't expect Monhun depth, this is an ARPG with one combo button and activated skills (which again is exactly what SoP has). Maybe I'm just reading the wrong intent though.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Countblanc posted:

When people say "its an ARPG", what does that mean exactly? I just played through SoP this month and I assume that's an ARPG right? It isn't really mechanically shallow but that sorta feels like the vibe people are implying when taking about what to expect with Relink - don't expect Monhun depth, this is an ARPG with one combo button and activated skills (which again is exactly what SoP has). Maybe I'm just reading the wrong intent though.

Basically anything with real time combat and no turn system

Like Diablo, Dark Souls and Kingdom Hearts would all count to some degree?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

It's a ARPG like Final Fantasy, not turn-based like Final Fantasy or a hybrid like Final Fantasy.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

For a while ARPG was synonymous with Diablo likes but it's just anything not turnbased

Devil May Cry is an ARPG

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Some Action RPGs are action games where it displays the damage number when you hit an enemy. Other Action RPGs are RPGs where if you put down the controller in the middle of a battle, you'll eventually lose.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

its basically like a tales game, just with less delineated combat/exploration. youve got your basic combo (with some variations for directions and such) and then you have skills you can assign four of.

mikemil828
May 15, 2008

A man who has said too much

Snooze Cruise posted:

well its probably a basic story, something about a dragon... vyrn... vyn... venn

If you want the general overview of the story. You can watch the first few episodes of the anime for free here:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL36BW5zRfQ8QvWZvQHHvFJVRbJWOZfQdZ

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

RareAcumen posted:

Monster Hunter, almost all of them, generally are at the top of the list. They just nail the weighty feeling of swinging or firing a weapon that weighs twice as much as you do against enemies that can mulch you in a heartbeat. Though most agree that the newest series (World and Rise) have benefits above the originals, dropping a lot of esoteric mechanics.

In my opinion, Wild Hearts is the one that most closely nails that feeling, but the monster design is lacking. You can also build structures to help you in combat as well as navigate the areas, which adds some really cool mid-combat choices.

God Eater is...fine. It has some fun mechanics that I don't quite remember, but the combat itself is middling and the arenas are dull.

Dauntless is f2p which is nice and all, but out of all of them the grind is heaviest here, and the monster design and their movesets suck real bad. There's one type that basically sprints back and forth across the arena, which means you'll end up basically running around 90% of the time. Stuff like that really turned me off of the game, as I found the actual fighting of the monsters just wasn't fun. But that was a few years ago, maybe it's better now?

Soul Sacrifice Delta, only on Vita (so if you don't have it already good luck checking it out) is dripping in monster design, atmosphere, and story, though some of the mechanics are a little obtuse.

The grind is often overstated in these games. Yes, if you want to to form a perfect set of armor from one monster, or prepare for endgame bosses, you'll need to fight a lot of the same monsters over and over again. And the games do have a tendency of giving you different missions that face the same opponents, though usually with twists (such as a different area, or other monsters to fight as well). That said, story is not the focus in these games for sure.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
FF16 is a neat curiosity among action RPGs because in most ARPGs your stats and levels can affect the outcome of the battle.

In 16 stats might as well not exist because you can't skip fights in dungeons where most of you exp comes from.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

WaltherFeng posted:

FF16 is a neat curiosity among action RPGs because in most ARPGs your stats and levels can affect the outcome of the battle.

In 16 stats might as well not exist because you can't skip fights in dungeons where most of you exp comes from.

This isn't really true. For one a tremendous amount of your EXP will come from hunts, to the point where not doing hunts will leave you drastically weaker.

Stats also are pretty impactful. If you stick with your starting equipment you will be hitting for significantly less damage and taking significantly more. This is something you can test just by equipping the crap starting gear. You'll generally stay at the item curve but doing sidequests can put you ahead of the curve.

(This isn't true in Arcade Mode where all the stats are pre-determined.)

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

DNE posted:

I liked Franken a lot!

Oh, yeah, my description might have been terse but the game rules.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Is Relink dubbed? All the streams I clicked on are using the japanese voices and I wasn't sure if that's the only option.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Countblanc posted:

Is Relink dubbed? All the streams I clicked on are using the japanese voices and I wasn't sure if that's the only option.

It has a dub option yeah. Same cast as the fighting game dub.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Nice, I really like the fg's dub crew

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Mierenneuker posted:

I'm guessing it would take a lot of effort to radically change that. Or maybe they took a future-proofed approach in case the Japanese schools end up taking on international teams?

this is how a lot of in house level 5 translations tend to be. they're kinda trying to riff on the dragon quest way of doing it and... usually have mixed results. check out snack world if you want to see their approach leading to absolute disaster

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Mierenneuker posted:

Eat your scran, Mark

DNE
Nov 24, 2007

Schwarzwald posted:

Oh, yeah, my description might have been terse but the game rules.

I figured you thought so! There just isn't much to say about it other than the jokes sure are good - I just chimed in to draw more attention to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
The Relink demo is pretty fun, lots of characters complimenting each other on good shots etc and it's funny having at-scale Charlotta next to someone like Ghandagoza