Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man
just watching some of those clips now, this is pretty slick

https://videos.nba.com/nba/pbp/media/2024/01/10/0022300523/672/556d4769-0fb5-d923-4f69-9dc580a89bc3_1280x720.mp4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"
just woke up from a dream where dejounte murray and wembanyama met in a dimly lit parisian cafe with a window view of the eiffel tower at night. wemby was smoking cloves and sipping an espresso while dejounte picked at a croissant. they stared at each other for a moment then both nodded. wemby merely said oui and dejounte started grinning.

pop send the 2 seconds. they're ready.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Ammanas posted:

just woke up from a dream where dejounte murray and wembanyama met in a dimly lit parisian cafe with a window view of the eiffel tower at night. wemby was smoking cloves and sipping an espresso while dejounte picked at a croissant. they stared at each other for a moment then both nodded. wemby merely said oui and dejounte started grinning.

pop send the 2 seconds. they're ready.

In mine Ant dunked over LeBron into a bathroom sink that was outdoors in a desert.

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

Zogo posted:

Hot takes in alphabetical order:

which one of the embarrassing ben simmons ones was mine (p sure i made mine about ben)

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

i know for the sanctity of polling you can never reveal the truth but smdh at whoever said brandon miller's gonna get charged with murder

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004
After watching a lot of replays from some of the games last night, especially Philly-Atlanta, i think that i can confidently say that i no longer know what constitutes a foul in the National Basketball Association.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
https://twitter.com/dwhitey69/status/1745270099697688769

Monty took the "Everyone has a price you can't refuse" contract, and now he's miserable.

Giggs
Jan 4, 2013

mama huhu
i'm just glad that i indeed put mikal bridges for my answer. whew.

aBagorn posted:

i think that i can confidently say that i no longer know what constitutes a foul in the National Basketball Association.
the oath for a doctorate in basketballology, which is never taught, but instead must be declared via infernal inspiration

Shuka
Dec 19, 2000

aBagorn posted:

After watching a lot of replays from some of the games last night, especially Philly-Atlanta, i think that i can confidently say that i no longer know what constitutes a foul in the National Basketball Association.

I really enjoy the simultaneous offensive and defensive foul calls. KAT should know better than to drive on defenders that are prettier than him.

I stole your guys dream stories and used them for my own ill gotten laugh gains at work. Mirth conceals my inner shame

Space Camp fuckup
Aug 2, 2003

aBagorn posted:

Depends on the spread

Shuka
Dec 19, 2000
Was watching the quarter by quarter highlights of the Celtics/Wolves while working last night, and the YT algo seamlessly cut to the 4th quarter and OT of a previous matchup the celtics lost.

Did not realize my mistake until reading the forums today. I wonder how many times I've done this.

edit holy gently caress yeah jrue doubleteam king

Shuka fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Jan 11, 2024

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

aBagorn posted:

This is the call I can't loving stand https://streamable.com/bj5u3b

havelock
Jan 20, 2004

IGNORE ME
Soiled Meat

kingcobweb posted:

It's not clear how you're supposed to play defense at all (you aren't I guess because scoring is exciting?)

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

havelock posted:

It's not clear how you're supposed to play defense at all (you aren't I guess because scoring is exciting?)

Yeah, for sure. If you're ever in a bad spot on offense, just drive at someone's shoulder, throw your arm into them, and jump back yelling. Because you hit them kind of in the side instead of straight on, it'll almost never be an offensive foul. Maddening.

Papes
Apr 13, 2010

There's always something at the bottom of the bag.

xbilkis posted:

Sengun was fuckin roasting Vucevic in the second half (and especially down the stretch) last night. That dude is crazy good now

Sengun is good but cmon that’s like praising someone for roasting Dame

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

I just saw the highlights but lmao The Goon was absolutely spinning around the bulls defense like s top and hitting sick layups, he owns.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
Sengun does own and I am now trying to get ahead of the curve and identify the next Euro big man with vision and touch that will follow this mold.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
ESPN push notification asks the provocative question: Could the Hornets trade LaMelo Ball or Brandon Miller? You might be shocked to find out that the answer, is no

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

Papes posted:

come on man, vuc is like the prime example of an average defensive center, dame is like the worst you can be as a defender and still have a job in the nba

Giggs
Jan 4, 2013

mama huhu
i don't know what anybody can get annoyed with the game is better than ever! just take a look at this! (no call turns into review for flagrant and 7 minutes of non-stop slo-mo replay where the commentators switch between misinforming the audience about rules and swearing that their team is innocent until they say "looks like [referee] is gonna let us know" and the camera switches to the refs having their meeting only to go back to the lead official putting headphones on to be told what call to make by the replay center for another 3 minutes. the official explains in extremely disjointed speech because they're struggling to remember what verbiage to use that it's just a common foul anyway. after 7 seconds of play the opposite team gets a defensive foul and calls a coach's challenge which leads to another 9 minutes of slo-mo replays that don't actually show the contact while the commentators hem and haw about whether it's a foul or not and misfiring on telling the audience again that the officials are ready to make the call while they hold each other's arms while talking in a little triangle and after another 3 minutes call the challenge successful but decide that a completely different foul took place despite it not being the call challenged and give the ball to the defense for no possibly explicable reason. 10 seconds of game time have elapsed in the last twenty minutes. e: the game is Blazers vs Wizards. it is December 2nd)

raps/clips last night was fun, seeing Thad Young and Garrett Temple play good minutes at 40 years old while being not-Lebron rules, Porter was trying so hard, and they put up a decent game without Poeltl or Pascal.

Giggs fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Jan 11, 2024

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

kingcobweb posted:

looks like a blocking foul op. maxeys feet werent literally set in concrete before trae young started dribbling

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Vooch is never going to be the center that can make up for guards and wing's mistakes.

But yeah, he's generally fine as a drop defender. His defense was largely good on Sengun, Sengun just loving hit some high degree of difficulty shots.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Papes posted:

Vucevic is a pretty decent post defender specifically. He's big and strong so he's hard to move and he knows the footwork so he's hard to fool.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

yeah this is solid defense, sengun is just very good

https://videos.nba.com/nba/pbp/media/2024/01/10/0022300523/385/04d31567-fc9f-2bf6-9da8-7a06f6031787_1280x720.mp4

https://videos.nba.com/nba/pbp/media/2024/01/10/0022300523/552/330d4560-7bea-fa36-324c-1d54c78d2873_1280x720.mp4

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Sengun also turning into an elite HEEEEEYYYYY guy at the rim when he wants a call.

R.D. Mangles fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Jan 11, 2024

snyprmag
Oct 9, 2005

Sengun had a good game against Giannis and Lopez over the weekend. He's looked awesome this season

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

kingcobweb posted:

trae young is the one goblinoid that i have not been able to support

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
So CoolBuffMan correctly predicted Jokic's ascendancy (see: the first BYOGM installment) and Dokmo gets credit for Sengun. Who is the next one? Place your bets now to get credit.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Salvor_Hardin posted:

So CoolBuffMan correctly predicted Jokic's ascendancy (see: the first BYOGM installment) and Dokmo gets credit for Sengun. Who is the next one? Place your bets now to get credit.

I'm claiming wemby. He's gonna be great

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Salvor_Hardin posted:

I give Veryslightlymad and Dejan (and Metapod) credit for sengun, dokmo wasn't very far behind tho and is his biggest cheerleader now

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

would Draymond retire if he got traded to Detroit???
https://twitter.com/ClutchPoints/status/1745471330634408306

lol even Curry is sick of this poo poo

quote:

Steph Curry on whether he feels the Warriors need to show the front office by the trade deadline that this group should stay together: "It’s pretty evident that if things stay the same ... That’s the definition of insanity, right? Do the same thing and expect the same result?"

quote:

“Honestly, I’m booing myself. Booing our team in my head because of the way we’re playing so it is what it is… It’s our job to give them something to cheer about and we have not done that.”— Steph on fans booing the last two games

WhyteRyce fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Jan 11, 2024

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

feller posted:

I'm claiming wemby. He's gonna be great

This bet will not get you hot-take credit later, sorry.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Dillon Brooks put a drat curse on the team before he left
https://twitter.com/ShamsCharania/status/1745495048966541408

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

dokmo posted:

come on man, vuc is like the prime example of an average defensive center, dame is like the worst you can be as a defender and still have a job in the nba

He’s a white tall dude so people automatically assume he is a stiff

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

kingcobweb posted:

Yeah, for sure. If you're ever in a bad spot on offense, just drive at someone's shoulder, throw your arm into them, and jump back yelling. Because you hit them kind of in the side instead of straight on, it'll almost never be an offensive foul. Maddening.

KAT shows this isn't always true.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

uuuuuuuugggggghhhhhhhh
https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/1745496606949171294

well I guess this will give Jay Bilas lots of time to go over his best remaining second round candidates and focus on some 5 year Appalachian State University senior

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

WhyteRyce posted:

would Draymond retire if he got traded to Detroit???
https://twitter.com/ClutchPoints/status/1745471330634408306

lol even Curry is sick of this poo poo

What even is the path forward for them with curry? You are somehow able to trade Klay and CP3s expiring contracts into good players you can resign and ride that out? Who even would theoretically be on the table? Pascal? Zach lavine?

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

Salvor_Hardin posted:

I think we should give Metapod points for SGA

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Paul Zuvella posted:

What even is the path forward for them with curry? You are somehow able to trade Klay and CP3s expiring contracts into good players you can resign and ride that out? Who even would theoretically be on the table? Pascal? Zach lavine?

quote:

[The Athletic] Let’s start here: These teams have discussed Siakam in recent weeks. I’ve heard that on a more substantial level and saw Mike Dunleavy Jr. and Masai Ujiri in the tunnel pregame on Sunday night having a drawn-out conversation.

CP3 and Kuminga and one of Podz/Moody is as good of a starting place for Toronto as they can get. Shed salary and still have some young players instead of junk picks. Unless Toronto still actually wants to keep him

WhyteRyce fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Jan 11, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

WhyteRyce posted:

uuuuuuuugggggghhhhhhhh
https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/1745496606949171294

well I guess this will give Jay Bilas lots of time to go over his best remaining second round candidates and focus on some 5 year Appalachian State University senior

From a viewer standpoint this is dumb but I usually don't watch the 2nd round anyway. I am guessing GMs want time to survey what happened day 1 and adjust, instead of having to do it all in real time.