Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

don't doxx me bro

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Youtube Shorts, specifically, arent for anyone

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Beve Stuscemi posted:

Youtube Shorts, specifically, arent for anyone

They're for the shareholders.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Shorts are just a way for platforms to lie about views when pitching to advertisers aren't they

TheOneVader
Jun 9, 2006

Don't kiss your sister, Son...

I had to go remove this from my watch history. You should feel bad.

Coffee Jones
Jul 4, 2004

16 bit? Back when we was kids we only got a single bit on Christmas, as a treat
And we had to share it!
it's what the kids are into. he's got 6 million subscribers

also there's tens of thousands of videos of chinese housewares ranging from okay to extremely cursed - also seen advertising on twitter.

Coffee Jones fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Jan 10, 2024

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Coffee Jones posted:

it's what the kids are into. he's got 6 million subscribers

top comment is a $500 donation. which absolutely boggles my mind, since i guess I'm an old, but it seems like complete nonsense to me.

Former Human
Oct 15, 2001

Not to get too much into secret fascist talk again, but is anyone familiar with Mark Felton? He is a British historian and author who does a lot of WW2 history videos with an undeniable emphasis on Germany.

His comment section is rife with Holocaust deniers. I've noticed that when other users push back on the neo-Nazi crap their comments mysteriously get removed while the fascist crap remains. I don't know if Mark is personally moderating his YouTube channel but the editorial choice is not even subtle.

Hellequin
Feb 26, 2008

You Scream! You open your TORN, ROTTED, DECOMPOSED MOUTH AND SCREAM!
He's a hack.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V7qV7QBxmTE&t=4931s

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

Thanks Ants posted:

I don't think it's just a today thing, I assume every generation before us hit a point where they were like "who on earth is that person, I don't recognise any of this music" because your life ends up having more things going on in it

It's just a today thing. Culture in the internet age is completely decentralised for the first time since the advent of national radio. The industries which used to shape culture via a tiny number of commissioners within half a dozen platforms have shrunk to supporting a small cadre of global artists, and the rest happens via a series of loosely networked online subcultures. It's true of lots of parts of life, but especially music because of how music discovery was such a big part of the early web, music subcultures are now more numerous, more siloed, and bigger/more self sustaining.

edit: it's also way cheaper for anyone at home to produce and distribute music of an incredibly high quality so there's way more of it, and so genre is more fluid and faster moving than ever.

The Grumbles fucked around with this message at 11:59 on Jan 10, 2024

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

i haven't watched this video yet so apologies if this is explained but is this literally "tier list of channels more popular than mine as rated by negative reddit comments i found"?

(I dont know who mark felton is by the way he could well be a hack)

Hellequin
Feb 26, 2008

You Scream! You open your TORN, ROTTED, DECOMPOSED MOUTH AND SCREAM!

NtotheTC posted:

i haven't watched this video yet so apologies if this is explained but is this literally "tier list of channels more popular than mine as rated by negative reddit comments i found"?

(I dont know who mark felton is by the way he could well be a hack)

No, he actually offers sources for places where Felton has straight up plagiarized from different blog sources, forum posts and sometimes even wikipedia. I'd been recommended Felton's videos a bunch last year (probably because I'm a big fan of the Time Ghost guys and their WW2 channel, imho they're a real shining example of how to do popular history without pulling punches) but something didn't sit right with me after watching a few, they're very...content farm. This guy just states it pretty cleanly in Felton's case of what the issue is, and it was easier to link rather than type up a whole thing.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

man, "youtuber that just copy-pastes from wikipedia and outright steals scripts from other people" is apparently not an isolated issue!

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Hellequin posted:

No, he actually offers sources for places where Felton has straight up plagiarized from different blog sources, forum posts and sometimes even wikipedia. I'd been recommended Felton's videos a bunch last year (probably because I'm a big fan of the Time Ghost guys and their WW2 channel, imho they're a real shining example of how to do popular history without pulling punches) but something didn't sit right with me after watching a few, they're very...content farm. This guy just states it pretty cleanly in Felton's case of what the issue is, and it was easier to link rather than type up a whole thing.

Was subbed to Felton for a few years; if history is a feast then Felton is porridge with a vaguely unpleasant aftertaste.

Not recommended.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Nettle Soup posted:

I'm of the firm belief that Hand Tool Rescue is the only good restoration channel. I haven't yet managed to find another where the item isn't covered in a thick layer of mud to start with, and then they start doing poo poo like epoxying over and sanding out all the casting marks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yVZ1pNV9b7M
HTR is great, but so is Treasure Creation Channel ATENALES:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MzjdpJOHOuM

It's one of the few restoration channels that finish the job and uses the finished product for its intended purpose.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Franky if you see a Youtube history channel it's smart to start with the base assumption that it's crap.

If you're lucky it's just wikipedia-level summary. If you're not it's crazy bullshit.

Note that I'm talking mainstream history here. There's actually some decently well researched and presented history on it, it just tend to be history of non-traditional subjects like internet drama and game development.

edit: see also: history podcasts.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Cyrano4747 posted:

Note that I'm talking mainstream history here. There's actually some decently well researched and presented history on it, it just tend to be history of non-traditional subjects

throwing out a recommendation here for ESOTERICA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hEiwmhQdPPA

EpicCodeMonkey
Feb 19, 2011

Cyrano4747 posted:

Franky if you see a Youtube history channel it's smart to start with the base assumption that it's crap.

If you're lucky it's just wikipedia-level summary. If you're not it's crazy bullshit.

Note that I'm talking mainstream history here. There's actually some decently well researched and presented history on it, it just tend to be history of non-traditional subjects like internet drama and game development.

edit: see also: history podcasts.

Unless it's Tasting History with Max Miller. They're always fun and seem decently well researched.

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

THIS IS NOT A PROPER DIET FOR A HIPPO

EpicCodeMonkey posted:

Unless it's Tasting History with Max Miller. They're always fun and seem decently well researched.

His latest video on weinerschnitzel was pretty funny because he did a lot research on the history and origins of it, and found that every origin story doesn't line up with the timeline of when it was in cookbooks and that there is no real known origin of it. Turns out we may never know the exact origin, but it being "meat covered in breadcrumbs and fried" is common enough that it just sprouted organically.

His cookbook is very good too and has a bunch of history about each dish, he does a lot of good food history.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

gradenko_2000 posted:

throwing out a recommendation here for ESOTERICA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hEiwmhQdPPA

For the first five minutes I'm totally all in on this thank you. Not only does it sound fascinating, it so far seems like AWESOME asmr stuff for me to pass out to and possibly give me horrible Eldritch nightmares.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Max Miller and John Townsend should be the standard by which History YouTubers are judged by

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

HTR is great, but so is Treasure Creation Channel ATENALES:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MzjdpJOHOuM

It's one of the few restoration channels that finish the job and uses the finished product for its intended purpose.

I dunno.I'm pretty sure I just watched a man coat a cooking pan in mercury, after filing and sanding all the casting marks off one piece of it, polishing it to a mirror shine and then riveting it by hitting it with a hammer he was holding by the very end of the handle.

(Ok I looked it up, he coated it in tin, which doesn't seem great either?)

I've been enjoying the Dean Doherty channel somebody probably linked. Just a guy fixing tools, very relaxing.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Nettle Soup posted:

In cooking, tin plated copper cookware is pretty much top of the class. :discourse:

---

My History YouTube of choice is Drachinifel: https://www.youtube.com/@Drachinifel/videos

He is 95% Naval history.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Mercury just adds that extra zing

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

priznat posted:

Mercury just adds that extra zing

this reminded me of a youtube which led to one of the greatest tietuesday streams of all time

try it for zest

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eysAjDnT468

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Nettle Soup posted:

that’s what you do with copper cookware

there are businesses that specialize in re-tinning heirloom baking/cookery pieces

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

If you want niche/esoteric history, check out Crecganford. He's a scholar of Indo-European mythology and talks about a very wide range of related topics. His videos are fantastic and he has a nice soothing voice if you like videos to relax to (fall asleep to).

Tornhelm
Jul 26, 2008

Gamers Nexus have just released their review of the production/release version of the Billet Labs monoblock (you know, the one Linus auctioned off).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0e1nDf0GYZU

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Oh look, GN tested with the right hardware and spent time doing several checks. That's clearly unsustainable in the long run.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

RIP GN, it was good while it lasted

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
I'm not going to watch the video because I've already decided no one should buy it.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

I know he's far more professional than I am because he managed to not make cracks about using it with the correct GPU and returning it instead of reselling it to a third party

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
In context of that, since I avoid their videos since that drama bomb a while ago, I'm still curious... is LTT Labs finally doing something tangible yet, or is it still just a dumb money sink?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

The latter.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

not that GNs lab push has really been any more productive, it seems to be a money pit no matter who does it

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

repiv posted:

not that GNs lab push has really been any more productive, it seems to be a money pit no matter who does it

They're going to use that fan tester any day now!

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

njsykora posted:

They're going to use that fan tester any day now!
Oh yeah, that thing. Some investment that was.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

At least Steve said the fan tester thing would take many years to ever be worth what they paid for it, but it's something he had wanted and he was in the position to be able to get one.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

I'm at least going to assume Steve at least reads the manual for his testing equipment, LTT's videos whenever Linus showed some hyper-specific piece of testing equipment were always "And we got this really expensive tester! Luke, we have someone who knows how to use this, rig... why are you shaking your head? Eh, it's fine, we'll figure it out!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Branch Nvidian posted:

At least Steve said the fan tester thing would take many years to ever be worth what they paid for it, but it's something he had wanted and he was in the position to be able to get one.

At a certain point I think Steve is just a gear nut and he likes having the cool tools. Which is fine, he's got a job where he can afford them and even have a theoretical use for them.