Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Did you Japan?
Hai sempai
No
Unknown
Goku
View Results

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.

some kinda jackal posted:

Looking at flights from Tokyo to Fukuoka just to see what prices are like. My trip isn't until November so I'm just trying to figure out what to budget for a flight, not actually book today.

Looks like flights are bumping up against $200 until we hit October and then they start to jump to like $800. Is this an actual seasonal thing, or is this just google flights throwing out some nonsense numbers because i'm looking at flights like 11 months out and I may as well be asking for prices for the year 2037? I'm hoping it's the latter.

Hoping to score a day or two at the Kyushu sumo tournament while I'm there in November but obviously tickets don't go on sale until later this year and I'm not booking any flights until I actually know what days I need to be in Fukuoka.

Just take the shinkansen. Time wise it's not even that bad by comparison when you factor in airport rigamarole (Japan's airports are actually quite efficient most of the time), you get nice views and acres of legroom, plus you don't have to worry about baggage weight, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DiscoJ
Jun 23, 2003

some kinda jackal posted:

Looking at flights from Tokyo to Fukuoka just to see what prices are like. My trip isn't until November so I'm just trying to figure out what to budget for a flight, not actually book today.

Looks like flights are bumping up against $200 until we hit October and then they start to jump to like $800. Is this an actual seasonal thing, or is this just google flights throwing out some nonsense numbers because i'm looking at flights like 11 months out and I may as well be asking for prices for the year 2037? I'm hoping it's the latter.

Hoping to score a day or two at the Kyushu sumo tournament while I'm there in November but obviously tickets don't go on sale until later this year and I'm not booking any flights until I actually know what days I need to be in Fukuoka.

A domestic flight should be closer to $200 outside of peak times, even with carriers like JAL or ANA. If you don’t mind going back out to Narita, even sub $100 fares are possible through LCCs. Or Haneda for more money but potentially the quickest overall travel time.

DiscoJ fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Jan 10, 2024

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Also you can incorporate a stop off in Onomichi. Onomichi owns.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Yeah shinkansen is my other option, it's just at that distance where I start to consider a flight equally doable. I typically do shinkansen from Tokyo to Osaka/etc; this would be the furthest west I've been so new territory for me.

Totally get the airport time that no one really considers; I'll pull the trigger way closer to date of, but I honestly haven't really made up my mind.

Thanks!

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
What? Why are people recommending that you take the shinkansen? It makes no sense from Tokyo to Fukuoka unless you specifically like trains. It will be more expensive and take more time.

A shinkansen ride takes 6 hours and is likely $160. Fukuoka airport is in the middle of the city and it takes 2 train stops to reach Hakata station. Japanese airports are also extremely efficient and you can arrive 60 minutes prior to the flight departing in most cases. Security is like pre-9-11 for domestic, and they will expedite departing flights in through security to the gate.

Domestic flights should be about $100-120 one way. If you are looking at November of this year and you don't see any JAL or ANA flights, then it means they havent released the schedule for booking yet. They often do this in 3 month spurts (so next release is around 1/20ish). In the worst case, JAL and ANA also have a special fare for foreign people traveling on an international reservation:

https://www.jal.co.jp/world/en/world/japan_explorer_pass/ar/reservation/
https://www.ana.co.jp/en/us/plan-book/promotions/special-fares/

Yeah, Haneda to Fukuoka is the busiest airplane route in the entirety of Japan.

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
I see less than 5 hours from Tokyo to Fukuoka on the shinkansen.

2.5 hour plane ride + arriving to the airport early + waiting for your bags at the baggage claim + getting to and from the airport.

I could see the appeal in taking the train. Definitely a slightly more expensive option though.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Hyperdia died when they they lost their data agreement.

Timetable Search service Termination notice
As of December 2, 2022, we will no longer offer timetable search.
From now on, we will only offer average time search.
We apologize for any inconvenience, but we will appreciate your continued patronage.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

i like train

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Oh no :(

that said, gmaps is pretty dece at train stuff now. it used to be real bad as recently as a few years ago; it’ll still choose dumb routes on things depending on the timing, but it’s OK.

Chekans 3 16
Jan 2, 2012

No Resetti.
No Continues.

Grimey Drawer
I used gmaps the entire time I was there recently and was fine, never put us on a wrong train. The walking directions are sometimes weird if you're making transfers but that was about it.

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

Google even tells you what car to use for the fastest transfer iirc. My spouse and I were frantically getting our ducks in a row preparing this time last year.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
What's the cheapest way to get from Tokyo to Kyoto and then Osaka to Tokyo?

Minus walking and cycling, that'd take too long

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I would guess cheapest is by bus, perhaps a night bus if you would like to pay slightly more but not waste as much useful time

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
the real cheapest way is seishun 18 and local trains, but bus is probably like very marginally more expensive and way less difficult.

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002
I'm planning on going to Japan for two weeks in May. My plan is to spend about a week in Tokyo, then take the train to Rabbit Island and spend the night there, then proceed to Nagasakifor a few days and fly home from there. Some questions:

- What would be the best way to pay for public transportation throughout those different regions?

- I keep seeing ads for those rent-a-wifi-hotspot thingys, but I'd prefer a prepaid Japanese SIM card (I have an unlocked Galaxy Note 20, in case it matters). Are there any brands I should look for or avoid?

- Has anyone done that Tokyo street go-kart thing? Is it worth getting an international driver's permit for?

- What are some noteworthy arcades in Tokyo?

- What's a good place to try out pachinko?

DiscoJ
Jun 23, 2003

For arcades, what are you actually interested in?

If you just want to see how things are now and try your hand at crane games, etc. then any random Round 1, GIGO or Taito Station will offer a similar experience. If you’re more of a long time fan of arcade games and want the chance to play some retro and rare games, then HEY Akihabara, GIGO Akihabara 1, Mikado Takadanobaba, and Mikado Ikebukuro are probably the best locations off head. HEY and the Mikado locations are also particularly good for fighters.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

ntan1 posted:

Yeah, Haneda to Fukuoka is the busiest airplane route in the entirety of Japan.

If not then only behind HND to Shin Chitose.

Yeah, just check for JAL/ANA in a couple months. Should be around and should be reasonable. Haneda domestic is a piece of cake to get through, Fukuoka too, and it’s two stops to Hakata Station.

Cockmaster posted:

- What would be the best way to pay for public transportation throughout those different regions?

- Has anyone done that Tokyo street go-kart thing? Is it worth getting an international driver's permit for?

- Suica will work almost everywhere, including Nagasaki

- Don’t

- There’s still some standing near big stations, but the one to go check is Takadanobaba Mikado. Maybe Sega Joypolis in Odaiba.

- You don’t want to

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

DiscoJ posted:

For arcades, what are you actually interested in?

I was mainly thinking high-tech stuff that never made it to the US, such as the Gundam pods at HEY Akihabara. And that Joypolis place looks good, thank you.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
You can do pachinko at home:

Fill a room with cigarette smoke. Now add more. Okay, some more. More. Almost there. Okay, now find a recording of a pachinko parlor and blast that on your stereo. Next, have someone punch you in the head until you are good and confused and have no idea what is going on. Finally, light your money on fire.

Chekans 3 16
Jan 2, 2012

No Resetti.
No Continues.

Grimey Drawer

Cockmaster posted:

- I keep seeing ads for those rent-a-wifi-hotspot thingys, but I'd prefer a prepaid Japanese SIM card (I have an unlocked Galaxy Note 20, in case it matters). Are there any brands I should look for or avoid?

If you can do E-Sims Ubigi worked perfectly for me. Set it up beforehand and was working as soon as I landed.

Spaceguns
Aug 28, 2007

Cockmaster posted:

- https://www.pasmo.co.jp/visitors/en/buy/

- just go to a bic camera on day 1 and you can grab a 30 day data Sim. Really straightforward but you will need your own little needle tool to change your Sim.

- have done it but I live and drive here already. Was a fun little way to see the city a different way. A lot of expats here and on reddit hate on them but I had a good time and they frequently drive through my area and I've have never seen them really causing problems. For those here who are about to pull up some specific examples I'm sure I've encountered way worse with regular drivers and bicyclists here.

- going to defer to the other goons for the rest

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009
Didn't one of the gokarts crash into a business.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer
There have been a few accidents. A fish and chip shop and a police box, among other things.
https://japantoday.com/category/national/maricar-go-kart-driver-mounts-pavement-causes-serious-damage-in-accident

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

They just seem like a good way to spend your day at head height with a bunch of nasty vehicle exhaust fumes

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

It's a great way to make yourself look like the world's biggest, cringiest tourist dickhead

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

I was in Akihabara May last year and witnessed the mario karters.

They looked like the saddest bunch id ever seen.

They were all the same costume (maybe there was 1 different one), and the costumes were all worn and drab.
It was so bad i didnt even take a pity photo.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

AHH F/UGH posted:

It's a great way to make yourself look like the world's biggest, cringiest tourist dickhead

Empty quote.

Don’t be a dickhead.

Also empty quote the pachinko smoke hell.

teddust
Feb 27, 2007

There is only one hotel I the rabbit island, and I'm not sure why you'd want to stay there overnight. I took a day trip there from Hiroshima.

DiscoJ
Jun 23, 2003

teddust posted:

There is only one hotel I the rabbit island, and I'm not sure why you'd want to stay there overnight. I took a day trip there from Hiroshima.

I've stayed there two times, though only in the summer months and over 5 years ago now. First time on a solo trip around the area, second time with a friend.

Pros:
- Best rabbit/human ratios in the evenings, especially in the area directly in front of the hotel, where many of them gathered as the sun set (proof below).
- Beautiful night sky views from pretty much anywhere
- Beautiful sunrise and misty sea views from the ferry port area
- Basically private beach at night
- Hotel buffets were good and included as standard (good thing too as it's the only option on the island)
- Reasonable price (<15,000 JPY)
- Could more leisurely explore the full island with less concern about time

Cons:
- Hotel had no private baths/showers at all

I'd recommend it, especially if other parts of a trip are focused on actual cities and towns. It's an interesting island.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
I finally tried pachinko on my last trip and is it something you can actually be good at? I just kind of held the little twisty knob and the balls went flying until I eventually ran out of balls and a little card came out that I could cash out at the exit for less money than I came in with.

I know that's kind of the point of gambling, but I assume there's at least something I can do to affect what's going on.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

What’s cool in Hiroshima that would be a nice uplifting followup to the huge bummer it’s gonna be visiting a museum dedicated to the horrors of nuclear war?

Gonna get an early train in from Osaka and it’d be worth making a full day out of it and finding some other stuff to see rather than just jumping straight back on the train.

DiscoJ
Jun 23, 2003

Depends on your schedule, but Miyajima is very doable. If you can arrive there by around 3 or so. later than that and things will start to close.

bee
Dec 17, 2008

Do you often sing or whistle just for fun?
We were in Hiroshima last fortnight and after I cried myself out of the Peace museum we went to Shukkeien Gardens, which was real nice. We also checked out the castle. You could go eat some okonomiyaki too.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Baseball game (Go Carp!)

Navaash
Aug 15, 2001

FEED ME

Question Mark Mound posted:

I finally tried pachinko on my last trip and is it something you can actually be good at? I just kind of held the little twisty knob and the balls went flying until I eventually ran out of balls and a little card came out that I could cash out at the exit for less money than I came in with.

I know that's kind of the point of gambling, but I assume there's at least something I can do to affect what's going on.

What you can do to affect it is to befriend someone who works at one who then tells you which seats/machines are tuned to the highest payout rates on the particular day that you visit.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

Navaash posted:

What you can do to affect it is to befriend someone who works at one who then tells you which seats/machines are tuned to the highest payout rates on the particular day that you visit.
Good thinking. I just played on the Steins;Gate machine because I wanted to know if pachinko would be more entertaining than the anime. :v:

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

History Comes Inside! posted:

What’s cool in Hiroshima that would be a nice uplifting followup to the huge bummer it’s gonna be visiting a museum dedicated to the horrors of nuclear war?

Gonna get an early train in from Osaka and it’d be worth making a full day out of it and finding some other stuff to see rather than just jumping straight back on the train.

Walk over to Lopez for jalapeno okonomiyaki and tequila.

You're going to be bummed out the rest of the day after the museum but that is the intended effect. The problem with a quick Hiroshima trip is the big tourist sites are very spread out and there's no good way to hit multiple in a day. If you go to the museum early you might be able to go to Miyajima, there is a direct boat that goes from a dock right by the peace park. For me just walking around seeing people and appreciating the life of the city was what I wanted after the museum.

socketwrencher
Apr 10, 2012

Be still and know.

History Comes Inside! posted:

We really enjoyed the Orizuru Tower and making paper cranes to add to the wall: https://joyinhiroshima.com/stories/the-hiroshima-orizuru-tower/

The gift shop on the ground floor had some nice o-miyage as well, such as "Peace Tea" packets with lovely drawings on the front, the proceeds of which support the local community.

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009
Pachinko tips from my pachinkasu friend:

- Pressure on the knob does matter. You want to try and find a sweet spot so more balls enter those special gates.

-You need to stalk out machines and if a person gives up before a big payout then grab that machine.

-Some machines just payout less. Machines with the newest anime and the like tend to payout less as the machine costs more for the store due to licensing fees.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Zettace posted:

- Pressure on the knob does matter. You want to try and find a sweet spot so more balls enter those special gates.

Few people understand this