Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

I remember him getting so mad at the scoring.

Speaking of, I've been binging NZ season 4 and I just continue to be baffled at the scoring. It's just awful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

Trig Discipline posted:

Speaking of, I've been binging NZ season 4 and I just continue to be baffled at the scoring. It's just awful.

JUSTICE FOR SCRUB DADDY

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

Pinwiz11 posted:

JUSTICE FOR SCRUB DADDY

EXACTLY the part I just passed. I've been irritated with it all season but that one was like "WHAT THE gently caress SHOW DO YOU THINK YOU ARE EVEN ON JEREMY"

It's obviously a ridiculous show and at one level the points don't matter, but at the end of the day you get from the contestants the behavior that you incentivize, and if you penalize people for being clever and funny you're going to make the show worse.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
yeah, i like jeremy fairly well actually when he's doing a bit or conversing but his points are just dogshit, he's arbitrary but not arbitrary enough or at the right times, he's a stickler for the rules when it's not funny to be, and like my guy you dont have to try to be greg but you should watch greg more to learn how to project confidence in passing judgement on people for performance, i dont care about the actual scoring i care that you sell it and make it funny

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

neongrey posted:

and like my guy you dont have to try to be greg but you should watch greg more to learn how to project confidence in passing judgement on people for performance, i dont care about the actual scoring i care that you sell it and make it funny

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Opinion is well documented in this thread, but Jeremy is the weakest part of TM NZ and the show is saved by how good Paul Williams as an assistant is. Actively dislike how he scores and that the only banter he really engages with is "well, that was poo poo wasn't it?" or conversations about how handsome he is. Contestants and the rest of the show are so good it's still amazing, S2 is the best the show's ever been, but it's all in spite of him and the difference is so, so, so stark changing back to the mothership.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
You absolutely need a comedian in that role and I do wonder if they'll ever change him. He's just... nothing. I just ignore him watching TMNZ.

I mean, did he used to host current affairs shows for TVNZ News? I get that you can have a personality but you need that quick wit. Just doesn't seem a good fit. And I've really tried.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
I'm no expert on NZ media but him having the equivalent of a morning drive-time radio show suggests that he's entertaining enough to listen to for several hours every day even if he's not a straight-up comedian. I think it's just Jeremy not fitting well into the show as it exists.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
I'm a Jeremy defender but he's definitely at his best in s2 where he's very comfortable riffing with Matt and the others give him plenty to work with.

e: I'd love to see an episode where Matt was the taskmaster though, that'd be hilarious

more belated edit: I remember seeing some commentary that suggested a lot of Jeremy's riffing gets cut for time. Doesn't change the points thing, though.

Leraika fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Jan 11, 2024

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

Rochallor posted:

I'm no expert on NZ media but him having the equivalent of a morning drive-time radio show suggests that he's entertaining enough to listen to for several hours every day even if he's not a straight-up comedian. I think it's just Jeremy not fitting well into the show as it exists.

That's fair - I discovered that afterwards

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Why did they blur his drawing there, did he draw a dick or brand name something they didn't want to show on camera?

CatstropheWaitress posted:

Opinion is well documented in this thread, but Jeremy is the weakest part of TM NZ and the show is saved by how good Paul Williams as an assistant is. Actively dislike how he scores and that the only banter he really engages with is "well, that was poo poo wasn't it?" or conversations about how handsome he is. Contestants and the rest of the show are so good it's still amazing, S2 is the best the show's ever been, but it's all in spite of him and the difference is so, so, so stark changing back to the mothership.

It's also a bit weird how he decides between finding sycophancy amusing and tedious, and the same for using Paul Williams as a punching bag. I think the latter is just part of the formula, subservient goober assistant willing to to potentially be undignified in some way as part of tasks, with a taskmaster who seems to delight in it. Guy was better at needling Paul but that's cheating since brothers. My least favourite Wells tendency is when people are doing funny bits between tasks and he just gives them absolutely nothing, just a silence, face camera, roll on with hosting cue. Could also be editing, but NZ has a bunch of bits that seem like they have a bit more banter to go but is oddly stopped in its tracks. It stops being blurred midtask as the drawing develops.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Rewatching series 14 and the contrast between professional sad boy John Kearns and Munya Chawawa the Confidence Monster is so striking.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

CatstropheWaitress posted:

Watch the Finnish version if you want to compare notes on how the wooden and bad-at-the-job taskmaster can almost ruin the show, which is kept afloat only by the very, very good assistant. I also hate it how the Finnish version usually also cuts away most of the esoteric solutions, doesn't have that much studio banter because Jaakko doesn't seem that off-the-cuff funny, and has few too many of those "make up something"-tasks which aren't very funny if the contestants aren't that creative.

And I hate how it shows that if they cut the budget any more then it will be literally "what we found from the dumpsters behind the rented studio"-production.

Der Kyhe fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Jan 11, 2024

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

they focused on daisy's hippo which at least, like, kind of an animal thing going on, when im looking at this chicken like what the gently caress is this atari enemy

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Khanstant posted:

they focused on daisy's hippo which at least, like, kind of an animal thing going on, when im looking at this chicken like what the gently caress is this atari enemy :kstare:

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
love a good quick drawing game. this one could even be a fun jackbox game i think. tried my hand at chicken

edit: whoops, i have one frame with two sets of 3 lines in one but closed the file already

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

"rararararara" contains the meaning of everything, kept in simple rectangular structures
With the benefit of years of hindsight, I have a theory that the most efficient way to use your three lines is to avoid joining them up, and leave gaps between the endpoints which your teammates can mentally join up. Gets you the effect of five or six lines each turn. At the least, if your team can't figure it out from the spaced out lines, you can start filling the gaps on later turns and you've not lost any time.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
yeah waste to spend 3 lines on turn 1 on a beak when 1 or 2 can do and without any other body elements could be anything, it is not till my turn 3 or 4 reasonable bird guesses shoulds start

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

Der Kyhe posted:

Watch the Finnish version if you want to compare notes on how the wooden and bad-at-the-job taskmaster can almost ruin the show, which is kept afloat only by the very, very good assistant.
I just started watching the Danish version. Season 1 is missing for some reason, but halfway through S2E1, the taskmaster and assistant do one of those bits where the assistant proudly pulls out a homemade scrapbook thing, and the taskmaster asks to look at it, and then just throws it away without looking at it. Always good for a chuckle when it's Alex and Greg, but the Danish taskmaster can't pull it off without seeming like a genuine rear end in a top hat, and the audience and contestants start doing proper booing. It was actually uncomfortable to watch. The assistant is good, though, and the tasks are okay so far, so I'll probably stick with it. But I wish they didn't try to replicate Greg's TM persona with someone it doesn't work on at all.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Inferior Third Season posted:

I just started watching the Danish version. Season 1 is missing for some reason, but halfway through S2E1, the taskmaster and assistant do one of those bits where the assistant proudly pulls out a homemade scrapbook thing, and the taskmaster asks to look at it, and then just throws it away without looking at it. Always good for a chuckle when it's Alex and Greg, but the Danish taskmaster can't pull it off without seeming like a genuine rear end in a top hat, and the audience and contestants start doing proper booing. It was actually uncomfortable to watch. The assistant is good, though, and the tasks are okay so far, so I'll probably stick with it. But I wish they didn't try to replicate Greg's TM persona with someone it doesn't work on at all.

I feel like one thing Alex Horne does really well as the assistant is conduct himself in such a way that nobody is ever on his side. There was an interview he did a while back where he mentioned that every contestant has a warmup task they do (which has been the same task for everyone across every series and is never broadcast) just to kind of get them in the TM mindset and he specifically uses that task to wind them up and get them to hate him because he wants that adversarial relationship as part of the show. I think that's a thing that can easily be lost in some of the spinoffs where the dynamic between the TM and assistant isn't quite the same and that meanness to the assistant doesn't quite work because they don't feel like they "deserve" it as much as Alex does.

Leatherhead
Jul 3, 2006

For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast,
And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed;
And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill,
And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still

Everyone hates Alex, but everyone's just trying to gently caress Paul.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

Der Kyhe posted:

Watch the Finnish version if you want to compare notes on how the wooden and bad-at-the-job taskmaster can almost ruin the show, which is kept afloat only by the very, very good assistant.

I loved Pilvi as the assistant with her prim little bun and suit. I also thought the Jackass-type of guy was a really great choice as a contestant, because he feared nothing and literally threw himself immediately into the tasks. It was a level of physicality that I don't think any of the other contestants in any other version met.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

As the show has gone on, I've appreciated how Greg just flat out says repeatedly "inducing disdain is this man's fetish" and Alex just quietly nods in agreement.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
I can't believe Alex is still allowed on television with all the reprehensible things he's said about various groups.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Leatherhead posted:

Everyone hates Alex, but everyone's just trying to gently caress Paul.

Someone here described Paul as someone on work experience who is hating every minute of it, and that’s such a perfect description of his vibe.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Boxturret posted:

I can't believe Alex is still allowed on television with all the reprehensible things he's said about various groups.

You'd think he'd stop telling Greg things in confidence, but he doesn't seem to learn.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Yvonmukluk posted:

You'd think he'd stop telling Greg things in confidence, but he doesn't seem to learn.

Why would he? He's proud of it. The little fucker.

Plucky Brit
Nov 7, 2009

Swing low, sweet chariot
Him admitting that he supported apartheid really opened the floodgates, didn't it.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
drat, I could have happily watched an entire series of Kojey. He had such great energy, and absolutely got it. :allears:

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Watched New Year's Treat 2023 and I really liked how Mo Farah won with the power of joy. Like when he found out that the house was booby trapped and thought it was the most fun idea ever.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

this task with sophie has one of the single funniest things alex has ever been asked to do

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

Morgana is a level of unhinged that is just glorious. Absolutely phenomenal levels of lunacy. Truly amazing woman, what a queen.

And Alex repeatedly pointing out it was "Four returning champions...and Kiell..." were delightful, Kiells' wee outraged face was a joy every time..

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

So that new lineup was right, then.

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.
I think this leaked a while back but here’s the official lineup for 17

https://youtu.be/yUrXXf3zPEY?si=fPlNDqF6hych0QJS

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

I really do only know Pemberton out of those.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Disappointing Pie posted:

I think this leaked a while back but here’s the official lineup for 17

https://youtu.be/yUrXXf3zPEY?si=fPlNDqF6hych0QJS
I think this is the first time I don't recognize a single contestant.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
Sophie was robbed. Her Greg & Little Alex Horne cosplay kit was underscored, and Dara's rubber band thing was overscored.

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

The_Doctor posted:

I really do only know Pemberton out of those.

Pemberton is phenomenally clever, I'm excited to see how Taskmaster breaks him, as it does so many incredibly bright people.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

John Robins is a mate of Horne's and will absolutely self destruct or be brilliant and I cannot wait.

Edit: weirdly we're just watching Frayed again, Sarah Kendall's comedy. It's brilliant. But we'll not get a resolution to the cliffhanger at the end now

thehustler fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Jan 14, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
nick mohammed was the guy from ted lasso, right? his face looks familiar.