Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN
You put out a press release that says 'gently caress off' in corporate lawyer speak and then you revoke their press access. Making a content circus out of the entire thing is dumb. Getting your head coach dragged into drama is incredibly dumb. Creating a hilariously self inflicted distraction while everyone ignores that your lovely team needed a shootout to beat Montreal ok maybe useful, but the whole point of president of hockey ops is to address and handle these situations. Getting your whole idiot team dragged into an online slap fight is stupid. And I'd put money on Torts thinking this will galvanize his squad or some stupid poo poo... which congrats you guys bonded over a twitter beef.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

I just hope it's the end of it because Drysdale has already played his first game here and what else is there to say really. Flyers said their piece, Cutter's camp said theirs, it is what it is. Mistakes were made all around.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

lots of PR experts in this thread that don’t appreciate how great it is when Torts rips on someone, his only redeeming quality.

https://youtu.be/ARhVC8uEbQU?si=o9txfdpvFDULerQI

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
“Internet forum surprised Flyer’s front office incompetent” next after highlights.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

The Flyers FO at least deserve credit for getting a good, potentially great young player out of the deal. This very well could've ended with the Flyers getting next to nothing for him. Maybe the messaging and the surrounding bullshit sucks but it was a really good deal given the circumstances.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

WeaponX posted:

lots of PR experts in this thread that don’t appreciate how great it is when Torts rips on someone, his only redeeming quality.

https://youtu.be/ARhVC8uEbQU?si=o9txfdpvFDULerQI

Well, that, and he likes doggos a lot.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

I don't think Torts did anything wrong but wtf did the Flyers front office think was gonna happen when they played dumb about why Gauthier wanted out.

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line
https://x.com/jeffmarek/status/1745479061416169896?s=46&t=2hVb1vPytx9OUpdE0UPz6Q

I love how mysterious he’s being, sports really are just soap operas for men

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The Dirty Burger posted:

https://x.com/jeffmarek/status/1745479061416169896?s=46&t=2hVb1vPytx9OUpdE0UPz6Q

He's not being mysterious, he's saying the organization is a complete shitshow from top to bottom but can't just say that.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

jesus christ just say what your loving problems were

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

shyduck posted:

jesus christ just say what your loving problems were

Aphro is right, unlike the Flyers Gauthier is listening to the advice of PR people who have a clue, who have advised him "no it's not a good idea to just say 'the whole organization is a shitshow top to bottom'"

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Aphrodite posted:

He's not being mysterious, he's saying the organization is a complete shitshow from top to bottom but can't just say that.

Exactly. If the people in this thread can see all the issues and make judgements about how consistently poorly managed they've been, imagine what it must be like trying to work with them. It seems like they tried some last ditch efforts to work with him, but I expect it had already gone past the point of being patient about it. The kid has been doing great work at BC and it sounds like they've not been communicating well for a long time.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Gauthier has a giant butt and it couldn't fit in hockey pants safely any more and the Flyers wouldn't help but also they laughed at his big butt and it made him sad.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

From the outside looking in, they've been fine if not great in the last however many months since the changes were made with the only major misstep being signing Staal

fermun
Nov 4, 2009
It's just too bad that it's the whole organization that's a shitshow from top to bottom because if it were only one person in the organization then maybe losing a top prospect could have some consequences but since literally everyone in the organization from top to bottom is a fucker, no one can be singled out as THE fuicker.

Carver
Jan 14, 2003

#StandUpforBigButt

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Even then he immediately died or whatever and hasn't seen ice time (or if he has he's been unnoticeable)

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

the Philadelphia Flyers

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.
A few weeks ago, I was thinking that MacKinnon may be the best forward to have never won the Hart trophy, but he seems to be on a mission to actually win it this season, as long as McDavid doesn't hulk up in the second half of the season.

Also, Sam Reinhart in the running for the Rocket, is something I never thought I would see.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

Shinjobi posted:

Gauthier has a giant butt and it couldn't fit in hockey pants safely any more and the Flyers wouldn't help but also they laughed at his big butt and it made him sad.

if Jagr can fit in pants then so can this child

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Shinjobi posted:

Someone should have sent him this article!

https://twitter.com/emilymkaplan/status/1083355114549710850

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Twin Cinema posted:

A few weeks ago, I was thinking that MacKinnon may be the best forward to have never won the Hart trophy,

Its probably Yzerman

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

I think the Flyers should keep addressing this Gauthier issue publicly, in a variety of media, for as long as it takes to clear the air and establish that they are a healthy, professionally run organization.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

well at least he's now with a well-oiled machine, the Anaheim Ducks

Wonderllama
Mar 15, 2003

anyone wanna andreyfuck?
people are conflating how well the organization is run, with how well they treated him as a prospect, imho.

poo poo, maybe keith jones' dead and empty, vacuous eyes just stared deeply into his soul and creeped him the gently caress out.

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

Twin Cinema posted:

A few weeks ago, I was thinking that MacKinnon may be the best forward to have never won the Hart trophy, but he seems to be on a mission to actually win it this season, as long as McDavid doesn't hulk up in the second half of the season.

The year Taylor Hall won it by dragging a bad team into the playoffs singlehandedly, MacKinnon dragged a worse team into the playoffs singlehandedly. MacKinnon is gonna win it one year even if he's not the best player just out of every five years or so the hockey writers decide it's time to judge it on a different standard, but yeah, MacK has been unreal this year, he's skated like 120 miles this season so far and has been faster than McDavid by far, just on a tear.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Carver posted:

#StandUpforBigButt

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Someone please tell these athletes about Levi's 541

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I don't think the Bible is the answer.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
I was worried when they took Michkov and made a bunch of fairly sane moves but thank god the Flyers front office / management is still what it is, this is the organization of Holmer and Bobby Clarke, there's a goddamn standard to be kept up here

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

Someone please tell these athletes about Levi's 541

5 for 1? How can that be profitable for Levi Strauss

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

Aphrodite posted:

I don't think the Bible is the answer.

That's the case in a lot of things.

Have we not learned about the needs of those with big butts? Has the groundbreaking work of Sir Mix-A-Lot been in vain?

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Don't worry, Canadian pants company GongShow has it figured out

Marklar
Jul 24, 2003

Ball is Love
Ball is Life

The Dirty Burger posted:

That's a good, level-headed response.

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

its an especially good and reasoned response when you actually Read The Article and understand the entire picture instead of 2 excerpted lines. here are all of the direct quotes of Cutter talkin' bout the Flyers:

quote:

“It’s been a long process and a handful of months dealing with this and I don’t think it’s the right time to kind of discuss it,” said Gauthier. “There might be one day where I kind of get into the details of what happened. Right now, I kind of want to keep it to a private matter.”

“I haven’t spoken to him in a long time,” Gauthier said of Hayes. “I wanted to clarify it so it’s not just his words against everyone else’s. I wanted to make sure (it’s known) that he definitely was not involved in this whatsoever. It’s kind of disrespectful to his name that he was being brought up.”

“All those rumors saying I was scared of Torts, that’s not the case at all,” continued Gauthier. “I’ve had many hardo coaches throughout my whole life and I think that any coach I play for would love to have me on their team. I want to do whatever it takes to win and if they’re a hard, yelling, screaming kind of coach, I’ll roll with the punches. I’m never going to disrespect or talk back to a coach. I’m going to give it my all every single shift and that was definitely not the reason why I didn’t want to play in Philly. I actually met Torts during dev camp two years back. I was super excited and thrilled to meet him and obviously being a big name in hockey and the coaching staff industry, definitely was not against playing for him whatsoever.”

“My DMs on Instagram right now are kind of pretty crazy of what people are saying right now. There’s been thousands and thousands of messages. I’ve been getting some five, 10 minutes ago. 19-year-old kid getting a lot of death threats and a bunch of thousands and thousands of people reaching out and just saying some pretty poor things that I wouldn’t wish among my worst enemy. It was pretty tough to see.”

“But it’s a business. Like I said before with all the rumors spreading around that aren’t true, it’s kind of tough to go out there and say one word or anything to quiet those people. People are going to have opinions, people are going to say things. I can’t tell them to have an opinion or not. Definitely been a stressful situation the last 48 hours.”

“It wasn’t one specific reason why I asked for a trade,” said Gauthier. “It was multiple, re-occurring issues that I’d seen over the past year and a half, two years of being under the Flyers organization. It kind of hit me all at once, thinking ‘I can’t move forward with this’ and ‘I really need to step up for myself and see what’s best for my future’ and that’s what I did.”

“It’s kind of tough when it’s all in your face right there,” he said. “You pull up Twitter and you see my name, every report of what’s going on and everyone has their own opinion. It’s kind of tough not to completely stay away from it, but like I said before, it’s a business. People are going to say things, especially in the situation we are in right now. It’s kind of tough knowing the real reason why and seeing all these people putting false statements out there and not being able to fully express what happened yet.”

Does Gauthier regret telling Flyers brass that he was ‘built to be a Flyer’ after they selected him in 2022?

“No, not at all. Getting drafted in the NHL was a dream come true. I never would have thought I’d be in the position I am today with everything that has transpired. It was one of the best days of my life, being drafted in the NHL. It’s everything you’ve worked for, everything you’ve dreamed of and I definitely wasn’t going to say the wrong things in that specific time. I was just super excited that they believed in me at the fifth overall spot. But with a handful of situations occurring after the time I was drafted, I had to make a decision that was best for my future.”

aejix
Sep 18, 2007

It's about finding that next group of core players we can win with in the next 6, 8, 10 years. Let's face it, it's hard for 20-, 21-, 22-year-olds to lead an NHL team. Look at the playoffs.

That quote is from fucking 2018. Fuck you Jim
Pillbug
Sounds surprisingly balanced for a 19 year old pro athlete with a public blowtorch on him

Misanthrope
Jun 10, 2001

QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK
Death threats to a 19 year old, yay sports fans.

Ace Jameson
Feb 10, 2006
Not only did Torts do the right thing calling out the reporter for making poo poo up and causing undue trouble for another seemingly innocent guy, it shows backbone as a person and as an organization that you’re going to call poo poo out.

Everyone saying “hmm yes, I would have calmly put out a press release, to not give them the clicks” is either delusional or outing themselves as the biggest dweebs on Earth. Some things don’t need to be filtered through Karen in HR.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Ace Jameson posted:

Not only did Torts do the right thing calling out the reporter for making poo poo up and causing undue trouble for another seemingly innocent guy, it shows backbone as a person and as an organization that you’re going to call poo poo out.

Everyone saying “hmm yes, I would have calmly put out a press release, to not give them the clicks” is either delusional or outing themselves as the biggest dweebs on Earth. Some things don’t need to be filtered through Karen in HR.

It’s been mostly pens fans so…

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Ace Jameson posted:

Or alternatively, you're outing yourself as having no concept of how press relations works, or for that matter how incentives work in general. Lowlife "reporters" of this ilk get paid to generate controversy.

At the very least, yell at him in a presser if Standing Up For Your Guys demands it, but you have to also cut off his loving access. Or else it's just 100% upside for him and 0% downside.

The angle here isn't that I love Public Relations, friend. It's that I loathe that jackoff and everything he stands for and would rather see him put out of business than the fleeting satisfaction (satisfying as it may be!) of watching Torts yell at him.

All that said, I enjoy watching the Flyers be dumb and gently caress things up as much as the next guy and I definitely enjoyed watching Torts rip him a new rear end in a top hat.

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Jan 11, 2024