Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

i say swears online posted:

looks like 14% of the nonvoting population

The nonvoting population is a large chunk of America so that's still a whole lot of people

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

I was expecting to see a 65% turnout but it was way lower at 52%, ouch

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

i say swears online posted:

looks like 14% of the nonvoting population unless you think the turnout that election was -113%

I didn't want to do the exact math, but...

Official eligible voter turnout was ~52% in 1948.

When you factor in the total adult population and the ineligible citizens, it is still around 8.5% of the adult population saying they were too sick to go vote. Maybe a little less depending on the percentage of resident aliens in the country in 1948, but I'm not going to find that and do the math. Still pretty wild.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

that was before the ADA so I wonder if a lot of that could have been solved by wheelchair ramps alone

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

How many states had poll taxes or other Jim Crow poo poo still going in in '48

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

zoux posted:

How many states had poll taxes or other Jim Crow poo poo still going in in '48

11 at the peak from 1905-1920 (all of the deep south plus arkansas, NC, tennessee, and virginia)

7 in 1948 specifically

5 still in effect when the 24th Amendment was ratified and eliminated them for good

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

When you factor in the total adult population and the ineligible citizens, it is still around 8.5% of the adult population saying they were too sick to go vote. Maybe a little less depending on the percentage of resident aliens in the country in 1948, but I'm not going to find that and do the math. Still pretty wild.

1948 was still a hell of a time for a wide range of diseases and ailments that we've since eliminated or made tolerable. Salk made his polio vaccine in 1952 for example. We finally decided that everybody has to accommodate disabled people in 1990. So imagine trying to vote from your iron lung in 1948.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

https://x.com/rossbarkan/status/1745095381677900014?s=46&t=6HOSYVrXffESMo0NlyR0Lg

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.
Here’s Gabriel Attal, the new French PM:

:trumppop:

cat botherer fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Jan 11, 2024

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Let them eat cake indeed

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Fox news has been reading too much CSPAM.

Whats funny is their writers and some of their personalities read twitter/tik tok lefty spheres constantly

KORNOLOGY
Aug 9, 2006

zoux posted:

Let them eat cake indeed

Two words: slide and show.

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Self or family, so having to take care of a sick child or infirm parent would also be represented. Also consider the relatively higher rural population (about 40% as compared to 20% now at least) where voting is likely to be way more inconvenient, so you'd probably have at least one parent stay home.

KORNOLOGY
Aug 9, 2006
All abort!

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

https://x.com/lolennui/status/1745568809342427458?s=46&t=6HOSYVrXffESMo0NlyR0Lg

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

The next era is going to be extremely funny.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Is he trying to punish himself for his sins or something?

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

he hasn't listened to a second of ben, this is just the conservative #opentowork

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Ruffian Price posted:

he hasn't listened to a second of ben, this is just the conservative #opentowork

More specifically, it's signalling he's willing to play "token/former liberal who agree that the left is going too far with [cultural war issue]" for the right price.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Captain_Maclaine posted:

More specifically, it's signalling he's willing to play "token/former liberal who agree that the left is going too far with [cultural war issue]" for the right price.

eh, it's a pretty selective quote. he also listens to the adam friedland show which is firmly center-left

quote:

Since leaving corporate media I cut the cord. I have an extensive, eclectic streaming palate now: Fellow Travelers on Showtime; PBD Podcast (it’s very conservative); The Ben Shapiro Show (I want to hear his take on Israel); Pivot (of course); Piers Morgan Uncensored (very real, authentic conversations you don’t get in corporate media); Pod Save America (obvi); The Daily (every single day); Smartless (the best); The Adam Friedland Show (smart, irreverent, funny; download the Chet Hanks episode for evidence). –Don Lemon, journalist

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Looking at that list, I would lean more toward some sort of masochistic self punishment going on. No other way to explain willingly listening to hours of Ben Shapiro, Piers Morgan, and the Podsave idiots every loving week. I hope he gets the help he needs, because Don Lemon certainly wasn't bad enough to deserve such torment.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

what a dumbass lol

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

https://x.com/_jason_dean_/status/1746993933131870265?s=46&t=6HOSYVrXffESMo0NlyR0Lg

AvesPKS
Sep 26, 2004

I don't dance unless I'm totally wasted.

I can just imagine the Ankh-Morpork college of heralds slapping their knees over this one. Even my 5 year old son wasn't impressed when I asked him if he thought we'd see Mayor Humdinger there as we went past.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
The original name for Foggy Bottom was "Funkstown" and I am very sad that it was changed.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Let's settle on Funky Bottom

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Ha, take that college students, a graph with no datapoints drawn selectively from a study that actually says that expanding college access the most likely cause of a regression towards the mean because of how IQ works.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Well the graph clearly says that the average students IQ in year 0 was over 500

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice
I blame Ivy League college only taking in dumbass failkids of rich folks.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

steinrokkan posted:

Well the graph clearly says that the average students IQ in year 0 was over 500
Yeah that's how the ancients built all that poo poo without the help of aliens.

Or the fundie version: That's when Jesus was born and he had the literal IQ of God, skewing the average.

beepo
Oct 8, 2000
Forum Veteran
I'm not an IQ expert, because that would be silly, but doesn't the meaning of an IQ score kind of change over time? 100 is pegged to be average and scores are relative to the average, but hasn't what is average changed over time? In the way that better nutrition, education, etc will affect the totally objective IQ score, isn't it basically assured that the average will at least vary a bit over time?

Also, you know the analysis is serious when it gives you such a straight line. The straighter the line, the more real it is.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I'm more worried about what will happen when the average IQ dips below zero

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

The average IQ is always 100.

MightyBigMinus
Jan 26, 2020

beepo posted:

I'm not an IQ expert, because that would be silly, but doesn't the meaning of an IQ score kind of change over time? 100 is pegged to be average and scores are relative to the average, but hasn't what is average changed over time? In the way that better nutrition, education, etc will affect the totally objective IQ score, isn't it basically assured that the average will at least vary a bit over time?

Also, you know the analysis is serious when it gives you such a straight line. The straighter the line, the more real it is.

yes the federal reserve is constantly adjusting the iq index to combat bigbrainification

Content to Hover
Sep 11, 2009

MightyBigMinus posted:

yes the federal reserve is constantly adjusting the iq index to combat bigbrainification

I shall henceforth refer to the Flynn effect as bigbrainification, I honestly think Jim would have appreciated it.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Guess who isn't going to be on the ticket...

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
It's her turn.

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

Trump trying to make Nikki Haley look white. Interesting.

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Oh, what? So now I suppose you're just going to sit there and pout?
https://x.com/Luke_Guysucker/status/1747386235616694426?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Don't do it, Angela!