Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
excluding the lagging indicator that requires 30-60% of a person's income,

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord
Hope you like your retirement disappearing every time buttcoin does an oopsie

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

https://x.com/deitaone/status/1745491161089794176

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

nice

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

DaysBefore posted:

China has carbrain

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

Nothus posted:

Hope you like your retirement disappearing every time buttcoin does an oopsie

I was mad when Tesla was added to the S&P500 but I'll take that over some target fund that might contain a bitcoin ETF. I just checked the prices on all the ETFs and they are all the same: a spike when the day opened went in and then all down.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice
So all these ETFs have to actually own the bitcoins as assets, right? What happens when one of their wallets gets hacked/stolen/rug pulled? Is that just part of the risk with investing in one of these? Do the ETFs even say where they are getting their coins from? This is absolutely wild.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
Re: Bitcoin

Capitalism itself is the OG memetic planet-destroying power virus when you think about it but nothing matches the utter pointlessness of Bitcoin; it's pretty amazing. You'd think the government broadly would be interested in clamping down on a "currency" that's primarily used to pay off ransomware farms but hey what do I know

I thought it was on its way out (or at least to becoming more irrelevant) after the NFT grift collapsed but hey I guess it must be a convenient component of the bullshit fintech waterwheel complex in one way or another now

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice
Couldn't the ETFs just sell their coins to themselves to raise the price of bitcoin leading to an increase in price of their ETF? This feels prime for a ton of market manipulation. How is the price of a bitcoin even set? Isn't there just a ton of markets that do bitcoin trading already? Does the ETF reflect the average of those markets? Couldn't those markets do a bit of fuckery to raise or lower the price of the ETF?

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

poemdexter posted:

Couldn't the ETFs just sell their coins to themselves to raise the price of bitcoin leading to an increase in price of their ETF? This feels prime for a ton of market manipulation. How is the price of a bitcoin even set? Isn't there just a ton of markets that do bitcoin trading already? Does the ETF reflect the average of those markets? Couldn't those markets do a bit of fuckery to raise or lower the price of the ETF?

you seem to be implying a fake digital currency originally traded on magic the gathering: online exchange might not be a robust product

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

poemdexter posted:

What you're saying here is that the number going up is bad. If the number goes up, then the investors make money. I work for the SEC.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

Xaris posted:

lol they're not just locking up overpriced pair of thieves socks, also generic hanes rear end underwear and wifebeaters

Just rip the mask off already and go to online-only shopping with curbside pickup.

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

Digiconomist: Bitcoin Energy Consumption Index

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Lmfao even the massaged poo poo is going Up. Cut the rates..NOW!!

Professor Moriarty
May 16, 2007
strong vs. Earth attacks
I figured bitcoin was just a way for tech savvy finance bros to milk money from the bag holding rubes that want to sell their mom's house and "invest", but won't buy gold

Professor Moriarty has issued a correction as of 18:43 on Jan 11, 2024

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

poemdexter posted:

I don't know if you can do that if the point of the ETF is to track the benchmark. It's like how index stock and precious metal ETFs aren't just buying stocks and metals themselves to bump up the value of their assets.

Listed ETFs also have financial statement and other disclosure requirements, which is supposed to help fight the market manipulation incentives.

https://www.reuters.com/technology/...e%20to%20hacks.

quote:

HOW WILL THE ETFS WORK?
They will be listed on Nasdaq, NYSE and the CBOE. Their assets will comprise physical bitcoin purchased from crypto exchanges and held via custodians like Coinbase Global (COIN.O).

The products track a bitcoin benchmark. Some track an index provided by CF Benchmarks, a subsidiary of crypto exchange Kraken, which aggregates trading data from multiple Bitcoin-USD markets operated by big cryptocurrency exchanges.

To address the SEC's manipulation concerns, Nasdaq and CBOE have created a market surveillance mechanism with Coinbase, the largest U.S. cryptocurrency exchange.

Issuers plan to charge fees ranging from 0.20% to 0.8%, well below the broader ETF market average.

I'm sure some active management crypto ETFs might eventually come out where you have to wonder about their ability to buy and sell assets (as opposed to just tracking a benchmark value).

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Hail Satan

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

wow I didn't know physical Bitcoins existed. thank you Reuters

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
How long until climate change commercials like this air pollution commercial come back?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_A6LMXnJ-8

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

DaysBefore posted:

China has carbrain

Transit plan!

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

webcams for christ posted:

wow I didn't know physical Bitcoins existed. thank you Reuters

It's a funny way to word it, but they apparently do exist.

https://cryptonews.net/news/bitcoin/27754079/

quote:

This concept revolves around having a physical token, often a metal coin or a card, that represents a certain amount of bitcoin. These tokens contain an encrypted private key which, when decrypted, gives access to the digital bitcoin it represents.

[...]

One of the primary reasons people are drawn to the idea of physical bitcoins is for bitcoin cold storage. This is a method of storing bitcoins offline, away from potential online hackers. The cryptographic security employed ensures that the bitcoin’s value remains intact. Whether it’s a bitcoin metal coin, a bitcoin bar, or even a serialized bitcoin in another form, this method is one of the most secure ways to store your digital currency asset.

The physical token typically has a tamper-evident seal. If the seal is broken, it often means the bitcoin may have been spent or that its cryptographic security may be compromised.

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007
https://twitter.com/DeItaone/status/1745499757471056224

their loss

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

Akratic Method posted:

Transit plan!

lol

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

a long while back when anyone in my family still spoke about bitcoin, i said its value was basically tied into the cost of the energy wasted in order to mine one

it's still true

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

lmao if it were a coountry it'd be in 27th place now for energy consumption

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

90s Solo Cup posted:

Just rip the mask off already and go to online-only shopping with curbside pickup.

surely that's at least part of the calculus here

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

Eric Cantonese posted:

that's just playing word games around the cold storage of a natively digital asset

veepfake
Oct 21, 2005

Egg Moron posted:

Many of these concepts have been on my mind a lot lately

The techno optimism of the Obama era, the overt corporate partisanship with the Democratic Party (DNC brought to you by comcast), the myth of the coming smart city where all is integrated into the “internet of things”, and the ascension of the urban gadget-yuppie (able to use google maps, Uber, DoorDash, etc to be maximally insulated from anyone who is not also affluent), all these things were harbingers of the decline and stagnation of our society over the last decade.

Now we know that ai is exactly as the r word as regular I, and here we all are

i think that's what bugged me about leave the world behind is like, obama produces this movie about like, how tech is killing us basically, but it's like, dude, you funded this tech world lol like who are you

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate
it’s cool that my company charges our office x cents per kg of co2 when we travel by plane but I can just do this poo poo

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

silicone thrills posted:

All the ones in the seattle area are like this.

Wow

Xaris posted:

california

Hey now, I was in Anaheim a few months back and didn't see these!

But I believe it. I've seen them in some of the South Phoenix stores (because :racism:), but stores in the nicer areas still just do this on like baby formula.

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

https://twitter.com/FirstSquawk/status/1745507811893661756

aw frig aw dang it
Jun 1, 2018

Akratic Method posted:

Transit plan!

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

I'm gonna celebrate by integrating a power bi into my Diablo account

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Eric Cantonese posted:

This is literally just writing down your password.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Its actually dumber than writing down your password. It's paying someone else to write your password down for you.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Canned Sunshine posted:

where the hell are these targets, lol.

the ones in the twin cities (where target started) are all like this too, although i'm guessing it's not consistent. the lake st one (which was burned down after hte floyd murder) probably has more locked up then ones out in the suburbs. they have the same poo poo at CVS. even bar soap is locked up for some reason, but a lot of other more expensive stuff (like just about all OTC meds) are not (???)

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Glumwheels posted:

This is all theater, no one is stealing wifebeaters from target in any quantity that’s making a dent in their financials

Uh yes, I’d like to wait 10 min for an employee to come and open the case for a pack of $5 Hanes

I'd steal them tbh

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

actionjackson posted:

the ones in the twin cities (where target started) are all like this too, although i'm guessing it's not consistent. the lake st one (which was burned down after hte floyd murder) probably has more locked up then ones out in the suburbs. they have the same poo poo at CVS. even bar soap is locked up for some reason, but a lot of other more expensive stuff (like just about all OTC meds) are not (???)

Yeah, I have seen that at other stores, and it's so confusing because yeah, there does seem to be a lot of more expensive or theft-ideal stuff, that they're not locking up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

I worked at Target for three years a long, long time ago, and the most commonly stolen item at my store were CDs and those cheap DVDs on endcaps; we'd find empty cases all over the place.