Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Platystemon)

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

I hate

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

chatgpt is the new data lake for execs

e: data lake was(?) a dumb idea where you would throw a poo poo ton of random CSVs in a directory and profit would come out

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

OMG a 2-wheeled vehicle in 2024?

*snooze*

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

goatsestretchgoals posted:

e: data lake was(?) a dumb idea where you would throw a poo poo ton of random CSVs in a directory and profit would come out
remember it's called a "lake" because different "streams" of data all flow into it

(they still use this wording in places and I hate it)

Half-wit
Aug 31, 2005

Half a wit more than baby Asahel, or half a wit less? You decide.
Well, the focus studies decided that "toxic data pits" wasn't going to sell well.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

Entorwellian posted:

Oh thank god. I thought dark magic was used to summon him back as a skeleton to fulfill his contractual obligations to HBO.

HBO bought the wheel of samsara so now u have to watch several unskippable ads between lives and the life scripts are poorly written

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

Skill issue

Data engineering becomes so much better when dealing with even a lovely lake compared to a lovely SQL warehouse.

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

it's funny to think of information as a commodity or resource with intrinsic value, like capitalism is already stripmining society for everything it can get and rich idiots keep trying to speculate on which worthless rocks might be gold.

Dukes Mayo Clinic
Aug 31, 2009
our data lake is more of a data swamp. there are mosquitoes and possibly an alligator.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

Skill issue

Data engineering becomes so much better when dealing with even a lovely lake compared to a lovely SQL warehouse.

what's the difference?

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

Dukes Mayo Clinic posted:

our data lake is more of a data swamp. there are mosquitoes and possibly an alligator.

Yeah most are like that, but it's better than the SQL hydra.

mawarannahr posted:

what's the difference?

For me it's the freedom of building on top of raw data vs piecing together "curated" data that the business has developed over a decade and is completely useless for my needs. Data lakes let me start at the ground floor and build exactly what I need vs shoehorning something not quite right.

Heck Yes! Loam! has issued a correction as of 17:11 on Jan 11, 2024

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

silentsnack posted:

it's funny to think of information as a commodity or resource with intrinsic value, like capitalism is already stripmining society for everything it can get and rich idiots keep trying to speculate on which worthless rocks might be gold.

"Knowledge is power" has been a maxim in Western society since the 16th century. The logic behind mass data collection is that you don't know which knowledge is going to be valuable until you already have it, so just collect everything and worry about it later.

Milo and POTUS posted:

Starting a 24/7 twitch stream and just uploading the video from my inbuilt camera in my washing machine. Channels called "airing my dirty laundry". If anyone wants to subscribe to my patreon, I'll send you various articles of clothing depending on what tier you're in

Finally, a solution to the orphan sock problem.

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN

dr_rat posted:

Yeah they tried this. Turns out skeletons have no vocal cords. Seems obvious and retrospect, but anyway yeah think they're planning to release his new set just all subtitled.

Think it will probably lose a lot in the delivery though, but eh what can you do?

reanimated skeletons have invisible flesh, they can speak

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
No, reanimated skeletons have ghosts haunting their bones, which is why they can stay together and move and speak

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN

feedmyleg posted:

No, reanimated skeletons have ghosts haunting their bones, which is why they can stay together and move and speak

perhaps but the invisible ghost is in the shape of the skeletons flesh, they move like people with muscle and sinew. I bet if you look at their feet and the ground there's about a centimeter gap

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

reanimated skeletons use dark magic to excite air in front of the skull, in fact the conversion rate of animal souls to strings of phonemes is very similar to tokenization in LLMs

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
ai reanimated skeleton wakes in horror to find it only has five fingers on each hand

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

Al! posted:

ai reanimated skeleton wakes in horror to find it only has five fingers on each hand

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
if skeletons had tangible padding then they couldn't play their ribs like a xylophone. that's a step too far.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

AI George Carlin is right

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

For me it's the freedom of building on top of raw data vs piecing together "curated" data that the business has developed over a decade and is completely useless for my needs. Data lakes let me start at the ground floor and build exactly what I need vs shoehorning something not quite right.

this sounds like absolutely the worst possible job you could have that uses computers

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

if someone pre-chews the raw data then I’m at the mercy of them changing how they chew, and asking them to re-chew if I want to extract something different

start your pipeline from the raw source so you can always replay when you find a bug in the transform somewhere

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

if skeletons had tangible padding then they couldn't play their ribs like a xylophone. that's a step too far.

The ghost moves out the way dumbass. They work together

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

Subjunctive posted:

if someone pre-chews the raw data then I’m at the mercy of them changing how they chew, and asking them to re-chew if I want to extract something different

start your pipeline from the raw source so you can always replay when you find a bug in the transform somewhere

sure, at the cost of having to understand every single data source (including evolution over time)

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

tokin opposition posted:

The ghost moves out the way dumbass. They work together

Smh at these know-nothing fools

great username
Dec 28, 2023

https://twitter.com/edzitron/status/1745229860585480377

:joker:

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

https://twitter.com/Jayseig/status/1745252899632943576

great username
Dec 28, 2023

I imagine if you sit down with someone to invest they go "okay so you'll be investing in a human trafficking ring that originates in Serbia,"

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

Sorbing
Business
Dobis

Testicular Torque Wrench
Apr 14, 2016

yeet

This is nightmarish

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

redleader posted:

this sounds like absolutely the worst possible job you could have that uses computers

It can range anywhere from the absolute worst slog, to really satisfying.

Subjunctive posted:

:hmmyes:

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

"BLOVO" he murmurs

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

I like that it's BLOVO on one poster and LOVO on the other

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Half-wit posted:

Well, the focus studies decided that "toxic data pits" wasn't going to sell well.

Sounds like a Mega Man Battle Network stage.

Man, we really need a new one of those, those games were loving prescient. The internet being such a dumpster fire you need a personal AI just to stop the constant onslaught of malware and everything being online regardless of any rhyme or reason...

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

Finally....the future is loving Here ya'll

bagual
Oct 29, 2010

inconspicuous
https://www.tiktok.com/embed/7320654397090893061

bagual has issued a correction as of 13:07 on Jan 12, 2024

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

great username posted:

I imagine if you sit down with someone to invest they go "okay so you'll be investing in a human trafficking ring that originates in Serbia,"

Rich people call that tuesday

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

bird lands on the laser enclosure, jiggling it slightly and blinding the entire family in the house across the field

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

This looks way too powerful to have in an open field with an automated pointing system.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

HEY
LASER
LEAVE THOSE BIRDS ALONE