Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

GlyphGryph posted:

Are they actually concentrated, or were things just so much better historically in those other places, that even them getting significantly worse makes them an appealing option by comparison? I was under the impression (after doing a lot of reading and looking myself before I bought last year) the housing shortage and massive price hikes were pretty much country-wide, with the only places bucking the trend were places that were actively in the process of dying (and even then, most of the houses you could get for cheap weren't livable). Even buying a house and some land in like bumfuck dakota had prices the result of some absolutely staggering inflation.

It is happening (almost) everywhere. But, it is highly concentrated in certain areas.

At the beginning of 2023:

Median U.S. Home Price: $359k

Median California Home Price: $859k
Median Illinois Home Price: $266k
Median Ohio Home Price: $228k

Median San Francisco Home Price: $1.2 million
Median Chicago Home Price: $344k
Median Cincinnati Home Price: $256k

Charliegrs posted:

For renters, being locked into a rental rate for a year isn't that great when that rate was increased a massive amount from the last year.

Yes, I'm just saying that a monthly change won't immediately impact someone locked into a lease right now. Whereas, grocery store prices changing in a month will.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Jan 11, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Misunderstood
Jan 19, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

The newest inflation report came in slightly higher than expected.

Core PCI is up 0.3% and brings the annual inflation rate up to 3.4%.

The inflation rate in December ‘22 was actually negative (gas dropped a lot) so it was virtually guaranteed that year-over-year would tick up. I still would’ve liked to have seen signs of moving faster but it’s still going the right direction.

Housing is such a drat problem. It seems like fixing the problem of housing affordability has no obvious solution that doesn’t involve destroying massive amounts of on-paper wealth for possibly a majority of Americans, and definitely a majority of voters. I don’t know what to do. My only idea is prefab cities, which I hope Biden steals from Trump.

E: the total size of the housing market is nearly $50 trillion. If houses cost twice what they “should” then that means making homes affordable would involve the loss or redistribution of an entire GDP’s worth of wealth. Nothing could be more intractable.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Failed Imagineer posted:

Yeah I guess I did know about this back when Fannie and Freddie poo poo themselves in 2008. Would be good to read some kind of materialist history of how the US property market ended up the way it did, I'm assuming it was all tied up with the New Deal back when the US Government had some interest in actually housing it's citizens

Hey my policy degree has some use here!

Very brief, not a lot of details some things to understand about where we are with the history of housing:

1. Yes, the New Deal has set a lot of our housing policy to where we are now. To encourage home buying and reinvestment into communities ( meaning more spending on construction, boosting the economy, ect) the New Deal backed housing loans. They also labelled districts based on certain colors on what was good to invest in and what wasn't. Communities that has as many as one black person where labelled in red. hence redlining.
2. The building of the highway system now allowed for housing outside of the city footprints, which means at least on the east former farming communities became exurban or bedroom communities.
3. In turn, these communities started using zoning laws to create de-facto redlining. Think, 1 acre + zoning, density restrictions, ect.
4. Also, developers were trying to knock down historically black communities in cities like Boston and New York, so to prevent developers from bulldozing neighborhoods, cities relied on permitting and development authorities to keep these communities preserved.
5. So now we are left in a space where the suburbs won't build dense housing and cities slow down the building of housing (for noble reasons but...)
6. The 90s housing market starts to pick up again and formerly black/spanish speaking communities are now desirable.
7. People buy those affordable houses/properties but now fight city development even harder.
8. Rural communities have no ammenities, so people are moving back to more populated areas (at least until COVID) and pay doesn't go up.
9. Now.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Bonus of this famous map of Canada:

Aw man, who ratted us out? Okay, fine, I'll admit it, the Great Replacement theory is real, except that it was actually us Canucks replacing Americans. We just figured it would be the easiest way to make the world a nicer place. We had already infiltrated Hollywood and the music industry, it was just a matter of time before we had you hosers eating beaver tails and drinking Timmy's coffee.

... wait, you were talking about Toronto? Uh... Yeah, it sure is crazy how one city has all our population!

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Mooseontheloose posted:

Hey my policy degree has some use here!

Very brief, not a lot of details some things to understand about where we are with the history of housing:

1. Yes, the New Deal has set a lot of our housing policy to where we are now. To encourage home buying and reinvestment into communities ( meaning more spending on construction, boosting the economy, ect) the New Deal backed housing loans. They also labelled districts based on certain colors on what was good to invest in and what wasn't. Communities that has as many as one black person where labelled in red. hence redlining.
2. The building of the highway system now allowed for housing outside of the city footprints, which means at least on the east former farming communities became exurban or bedroom communities.
3. In turn, these communities started using zoning laws to create de-facto redlining. Think, 1 acre + zoning, density restrictions, ect.
4. Also, developers were trying to knock down historically black communities in cities like Boston and New York, so to prevent developers from bulldozing neighborhoods, cities relied on permitting and development authorities to keep these communities preserved.
5. So now we are left in a space where the suburbs won't build dense housing and cities slow down the building of housing (for noble reasons but...)
6. The 90s housing market starts to pick up again and formerly black/spanish speaking communities are now desirable.
7. People buy those affordable houses/properties but now fight city development even harder.
8. Rural communities have no ammenities, so people are moving back to more populated areas (at least until COVID) and pay doesn't go up.
9. Now.

Good post, thank you !

One of my goals for the year is reading The Power Broker, so if I survive that I imagine I will have some further insight on the whole topic by election time.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

GlyphGryph posted:

Are they actually concentrated, or were things just so much better historically in those other places, that even them getting significantly worse makes them an appealing option by comparison? I was under the impression (after doing a lot of reading and looking myself before I bought last year) the housing shortage and massive price hikes were pretty much country-wide, with the only places bucking the trend were places that were actively in the process of dying (and even then, most of the houses you could get for cheap weren't livable). Even buying a house and some land in like bumfuck dakota had prices the result of some absolutely staggering inflation when I last looked.

Boom towns can jack up the cost of living. I pay less money in rent for my two-bedroom duplex in Pittsburgh than my sister did for a similar unit in Gillette, Wyoming. Gillette is where all the coal is, and even in a shrinking coal market the cost of rent and housing is still high because of that boom/bust cycle mentality. Most parts of the state don't reach those levels of cost of living because they're further away from the coal mines and the work in the oil fields mostly vanished, but at the height of the boom it was impossible to find housing.

single-mode fiber
Dec 30, 2012

Eric Cantonese posted:

The 30 year mortgage has had some weird consequences. One effect in the US is that we have a ton of owners on mortgages with hilariously low interest rates (either due to the Covid ZIRP period or just the generally low rates we had after the Great Financial Crisis). They're not getting a new mortgage with those rates. They could sell their houses (which might help drive market prices down), but then they would have to find replacement housing and the cost of replacement housing is compounded by how high current mortgage rates are. People are therefore staying put and prices aren't going down the way they should.

This is one of those things that feels like it should be true, but the aggregate numbers don't really agree

https://twitter.com/GRoditiD/status/1745210306752835999

Even if they had a stupendous low rate, people are still choosing to move for any number of reasons (work, family, etc.), even if it means they have a higher rate. In practice, since the broad tendency is for people to buy according to the maximum monthly payment they can afford, they may end up compromising somewhere (smaller house, older house, house further away from town), but they nevertheless end up swapping the old loan for a new one. There's not a ton of people who are letting the preservation of their low mortgage rate dictate every other aspect of their lives.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

single-mode fiber posted:

This is one of those things that feels like it should be true, but the aggregate numbers don't really agree

https://twitter.com/GRoditiD/status/1745210306752835999

Even if they had a stupendous low rate, people are still choosing to move for any number of reasons (work, family, etc.), even if it means they have a higher rate. In practice, since the broad tendency is for people to buy according to the maximum monthly payment they can afford, they may end up compromising somewhere (smaller house, older house, house further away from town), but they nevertheless end up swapping the old loan for a new one. There's not a ton of people who are letting the preservation of their low mortgage rate dictate every other aspect of their lives.

I don't doubt that my point might not completely capture the situation, but I'm not sure that those graphs do either.

If you absolutely have to move, then yes, you do not have a choice. Unless you're swimming in cash, you still have to take on a high mortgage balance and just hope you can refinance in the future. I think the interest rate dynamics are still affecting how much people are deciding that they absolutely HAVE to move.

Also, and I'm happy to be corrected, but do those figures really show a different reality from a very dysfunctional housing market? Don't originations being at a 2017/2018 level reflect a lower amounts of sales from what has been going on before. (To be fair, we had a very abnormally hot market in 2020-2021.)

EDIT: This may not be the most useful link, but I came across this when looking for housing market data.

https://www.noradarealestate.com/blog/housing-market-trends/

quote:

12. Regional Nuances: Understanding Existing-Home Sales Across the Nation
Examining the regional breakdown provides valuable insights into the diverse dynamics shaping existing-home sales across the United States. Regional variations in sales figures, median prices, and year-over-year changes offer a nuanced perspective on the real estate landscape in different parts of the country.

13. Northeast: Steady Decline
In the Northeast, existing-home sales slipped by 2.1% from October to an annual rate of 470,000 in November. This represents a significant 13.0% decline from the sales figures recorded in November 2022. Despite the decline in sales, the median price in the Northeast saw a robust increase, rising by 4.8% to $428,600 compared to the prior year.

14. Midwest: Mixed Trends
The Midwest witnessed a 1.1% rise in existing-home sales from the previous month, reaching an annual rate of 940,000 in November. However, this still reflects an 8.7% decline from one year ago. The median price in the Midwest stood at $280,800, exhibiting a 4.9% increase from November 2022.

15. South: Positive Momentum
Existing-home sales in the South experienced a notable improvement, rising by 4.7% from October to an annual rate of 1.77 million in November. Despite this positive momentum, there was a 4.3% decline from the prior year. The median price in the South was $351,500, reflecting a 3.4% increase from the previous year.

16. West: Facing Headwinds
The West, however, faced challenges as existing-home sales slumped by 7.2% from the previous month to an annual rate of 640,000 in November. This represents an 8.6% decline from the sales figures recorded one year before. The median price in the West was $603,200, indicating a 5.3% increase from November 2022.

Sales rates are down, but prices still seem to be sticky and elevated.

Eric Cantonese fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Jan 11, 2024

Giggle Goose
Oct 18, 2009

Star Man posted:

Boom towns can jack up the cost of living. I pay less money in rent for my two-bedroom duplex in Pittsburgh than my sister did for a similar unit in Gillette, Wyoming. Gillette is where all the coal is, and even in a shrinking coal market the cost of rent and housing is still high because of that boom/bust cycle mentality. Most parts of the state don't reach those levels of cost of living because they're further away from the coal mines and the work in the oil fields mostly vanished, but at the height of the boom it was impossible to find housing.

As a fellow Pittsburgher, I've gotta say our housing prices make no sense. I rent a whole house for half the price my former Californian coworkers paid for studios. I know people in WV who pay more than I do.

ummel
Jun 17, 2002

<3 Lowtax

Fun Shoe

Even as inflation trends down for almost every major category of goods, housing still continues to be a huge problem and there is no real solution to it on the horizon. Most of the changes have to be done at the state or local level and only Kathy Hochul in NY (whose plan was killed by the legislature) and Gavin Newsom in California (whose plan passed and is pretty good, but is mostly zoning changes that will take many years to see much effect) seem to be proactively doing something positive about housing.

Fwiw, the Republicans in Florida passed a decent bill for housing, the Live Local Act. It was really just another way for the state to remove power from local government, but this time has a nice side effect of speeding up the building process.

https://www.natlawreview.com/article/florida-live-local-act-provides-incentives-to-build-affordable-and-workforce-housing

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010
https://twitter.com/haleytalbotcnn/status/1745492215172931920

A completely normal thing for a Speaker: going to the House Freedom Caucus and telling them to come up with a plan. I understand why you'd do it but it illustrates how weak and unprepared he is to be speaker.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Man what a useless gently caress. What did he think the job involved

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Being popular and famous and having everyone love you.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Morrow posted:

https://twitter.com/haleytalbotcnn/status/1745492215172931920

A completely normal thing for a Speaker: going to the House Freedom Caucus and telling them to come up with a plan. I understand why you'd do it but it illustrates how weak and unprepared he is to be speaker.

I mean, that's actually the best way to deal with people who are making impossible demands: ask them to show you how it's possible. If they can, great, you're wrong. When they can't or don't, you have evidence, which should either persuade them or 3rd parties.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

When they can't or don't, you have evidence, which should either persuade them or 3rd parties.

Lmao

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Failed Imagineer posted:

Man what a useless gently caress. What did he think the job involved

he is making the same mistake mccarthy did, mccarthy would still be lead if he didnt double cross the dems like 10 times, now johnson is doing it, when this falls through and poo poo goes nuts and then we get like a month extention, then we will have ANOTHER vacate.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Do we have a thread dedicated to the ICC trial going on?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Oh I'm aware

But still it is his best available strategy short of becoming a Democrat

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

BigRed0427 posted:

Do we have a thread dedicated to the ICC trial going on?

The Palestine Israel thread, probably

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Oh I'm aware

But still it is his best available strategy short of becoming a Democrat

We already know the HFC plan. And it's technically "possible". The HFC plan is "stop funding the government until we get everything we want"

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”

ummel posted:

Fwiw, the Republicans in Florida passed a decent bill for housing, the Live Local Act. It was really just another way for the state to remove power from local government, but this time has a nice side effect of speeding up the building process.

https://www.natlawreview.com/article/florida-live-local-act-provides-incentives-to-build-affordable-and-workforce-housing

I spent a good chunk of my life in central Florida suburbs and I would not wish that suburban blight on anyone. Just cookie cutter houses, apartments, and strip malls as far as the eye can see.

You couldn't pay me enough to live somewhere like that again. Complete cultural wasteland.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

YouGov has a new poll out today that shows a pretty similar thing to other polls:

People say they are personally doing okay, but the country/economy is terrible and getting worse.

However, this time they provided a breakdown by partisan identification.

- Republicans (and independents to a smaller degree) all say they are personally doing okay to great, but 3/4 of them think the country/economy is terrible.

- Overall perceptions about the country are slightly improved (56% say "bad" or "terrible" compared to 71% 6 months ago).

This is driven primarily by independents and Democrats perceiving the overall country/economy as better.

They don't provide any information about which way independents lean, so it is hard to tell if Republican-leaning independents are basically responding similar to Republicans and vice-versa.

Misunderstood
Jan 19, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

People say they are personally doing okay, but the country/economy is terrible and getting worse.
Considering the way human psychology seems to work, especially in the social media age, I wonder how common it is for people to say “things are bad, but improving.”

Rebel Blob
Mar 1, 2008

Extinction for our time

I couldn't be more disappointed in Fetterman. Not only did he say that we should "stop talking about proportion" in the Gaza genocide (currently at over 23,000 dead in Gaza, with nearly 10,000 of those killed being children from Al Jazeera), but also says that South Africa "should sit this one out" on criticizing Israel about genocide. Fetterman is really bolstering his credentials among the alt-right, since it bolsters their narrative of a white genocide going on in South Africa. It was hard even to find a source for this video (I would have posted an actual reputable journalist if I could find one) that wasn't from some alt-right account overjoyed about how Fetterman is "based" for acknowledging white genocide.

https://twitter.com/wideofthepost/status/1745287405051977882

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Not too surprising, but Brittney Watts - the woman in Ohio who was being charged for desecrating a corpse due to her having a miscarriage, putting the fetus in a bucket, and burying it - is not going to be charged. The grand jury said there was no crime committed.

Some people had worried this was an attempt by the conservative AG to define a dead fetus as a corpse as a step to getting a fetus declared a legal person.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Isn't Pittsburgh and the surrounding area one of the few places in the country that has done well on the housing front, pretty much exclusively because they adopted policies a couple decades back to promote new housing construction? Or am I confusing that for somewhere else, I remember reading a pretty long article about it...

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Rebel Blob posted:

I couldn't be more disappointed in Fetterman. Not only did he say that we should "stop talking about proportion" in the Gaza genocide (currently at over 23,000 dead in Gaza, with nearly 10,000 of those killed being children from Al Jazeera), but also says that South Africa "should sit this one out" on criticizing Israel about genocide. Fetterman is really bolstering his credentials among the alt-right, since it bolsters their narrative of a white genocide going on in South Africa. It was hard even to find a source for this video (I would have posted an actual reputable journalist if I could find one) that wasn't from some alt-right account overjoyed about how Fetterman is "based" for acknowledging white genocide.

I'm pretty sure the South Africa reference is about their infamous apartheid government and not him signaling support for a conspiracy theory that a global white genocide is about to happen.

GlyphGryph posted:

Isn't Pittsburgh and the surrounding area one of the few places in the country that has done well on the housing front, pretty much exclusively because they adopted policies a couple decades back to promote new housing construction? Or am I confusing that for somewhere else, I remember reading a pretty long article about it...

Houston is the city that had a famously successful housing/homeless reduction plan about 10 years ago. That might be what you're thinking about.

According to Google, Pittsburgh is the 2nd most affordable housing market out of U.S. cities with over 300k people, but I don't know offhand if they have engaged in any major housing growth policies that lead to it vs. the area being a part of the rust belt.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Jan 11, 2024

selec
Sep 6, 2003

I'm pretty sure the South Africa reference is about their infamous apartheid government and not him signaling support for a conspiracy theory that a global white genocide is about to happen.

That’s an even less charitable reading of his comprehension of what’s going on than the idea that he buys into he right-wing framing of what’s going on down there.

“These people who overturned an apartheid government have no clue what they’re talking about” is even more insulting to his audience!

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Fetterman is as dumb as he looks, he's just good at mocking chuds

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

selec posted:

That’s an even less charitable reading of his comprehension of what’s going on than the idea that he buys into he right-wing framing of what’s going on down there.

“These people who overturned an apartheid government have no clue what they’re talking about” is even more insulting to his audience!

It's not really about a charitable reading. You can read the words he actually said. I don't think the OP read the whole thing because there is no way you can interpret it as support for a modern white genocide theory if you read the remarks (regardless of the validity of the remarks themselves).

quote:

Fetterman highlighted ​South Africa’s own history of violence‍ and human rights abuses during the apartheid era. He ‍pointed out the irony of South Africa accusing Israel of genocide while they themselves were guilty of such atrocities in the past. Fetterman asserted that South‍ Africa should focus on ​addressing their own⁢ historical injustices rather‍ than⁤ pointing fingers at Israel.

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."

https://twitter.com/FoxNews/status/1745513338136678811

quote:

The senator also referenced what's happening in South Africa regarding calls for violence against White farmers

I'm sure he'll issue a correction...

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

According to Google, Pittsburgh is the 2nd most affordable housing market out of U.S. cities with over 300k people, but I don't know offhand if they have engaged in any major housing growth policies that lead to it vs. the area being a part of the rust belt.

You got a link or something? I'd like to look over that myself

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Read the article.

Fox is editorializing. They are saying that the slaying of white farmers is happening and that Fetterman criticized South Africa about apartheid. He doesn't say it is about white farmers.

He specifically mentions apartheid and "historical injustices" when he says they shouldn't throw stones because of their glass house.

He is saying a dumb thing, but it is a very different dumb thing from saying that there is a white genocide going on.

South Africa even responded directly:

quote:

He added that it was “appalling” that South Africa had brought the case, which began at The Hague on Thursday, “given the history there.”

Ronald Lamola, South Africa’s justice minister and head of its delegation at The Hague, told the New York Times that his country’s history was precisely the reason why it had brought the case.

“We do believe that it is important for a state like South Africa that has experienced apartheid discrimination to stand firm with the people of Palestine,” he said.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Jan 11, 2024

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

You got a link or something? I'd like to look over that myself

According to this ranking from May 2023, Detroit is the only city with more than 300,000 people that is cheaper than Pittsburgh.

https://wallethub.com/edu/most-affordable-cities-for-home-buyers/121950

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs

Right but him saying they should have no say NOW implies that he is criticizing the current government. Which is the post-apartheid government.

The apartheid government is essentially a historical relic that no longer exists.

It's the equivalent of saying Jaimaica should have no say in regards to slavery given their history.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Failed Imagineer posted:

Fetterman is as dumb as he looks, he's just good at mocking chuds

Turns out that whole "chasing down a black man like a gigantic racist" story that the left was concerned about was relevant.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
Fetterman is a white dude in the US, and I'm sure he's aware of our country's history of slavery and racial issues, or our genocide of Native Americans. He has no grounds lecturing anyone about "historical injustices".

Or he really is just as dumb you'd expect a white guy that goes around everywhere in a hoodie and gym shorts. Just a colossal loving idiot.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

koolkal posted:

Right but him saying they should have no say NOW implies that he is criticizing the current government. Which is the post-apartheid government.

The apartheid government is essentially a historical relic that no longer exists.

It's the equivalent of saying Jaimaica should have no say in regards to slavery given their history.

Yes, as established in the post above, he is saying a very dumb thing. But, it is a different dumb thing than saying there is a white genocide. The original person posted that he was specifically talking about a modern white genocide being committed by South Africa.

Misunderstood
Jan 19, 2023

by Fluffdaddy
Technically Gazans live in the nation state of Israel so, if you think about it, they really have no right to criticize Israel.

(It’s clearly not about “white genocide” though, it’s just playing off the historical reputation of South Africa as “extremely racist place” in a way that ignores anything that’s happened there in 30 years)

vvv yeah this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
It's kind of sad that the only thing people know about South Africa right now is that they used to practice Apartheid and now they are accusing Israel of genocide at the ICC. Like no-one has any clue what is going on in the country or what their opinions are about global conflicts beyond these two points. It's like the concept of South Africa sprung forth from these two points and there is nothing more to the country.