Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

Beer_Suitcase posted:

Does it only allow you to play on a full 88 key piano or can you have a lil keyboard and still do it?

Little keyboard should work fine, when you start it up it goes through a measuring process where you hit the furthest left key then the right then it guesses how many and what they are and there's a little control panel you can adjust that on. I didn't pay a lot of attention because our Yamaha is 88 and it got that out of the gate but I'd be shocked if it didn't support a wide variety. It has some drift over time for some users apparently, but you can recalibrate at any time, I've only spend a few hours in it but so far for $11 I'm pretty impressed. I didn't try the virtual keyboard, I can't imagine it works that well without the USB interface - latency/lag might be an issue? But if you have a physical keyboard with USB/MIDI I'm pretty sure it will work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beer_Suitcase
May 3, 2005

Verily, the whip is ghost riding.

I've just always wanted to play piano. I took lessons for a few months in middle school and between school and church and ADHD it never really happened.

I'm ok with not being able to "learn" how to play in the traditional sense but being able to make music and even play something by wrote memorization would still be cool. Imma have to check it out.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

It seems to work really well from the guy I saw playing it.

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

Beer_Suitcase posted:

I've just always wanted to play piano. I took lessons for a few months in middle school and between school and church and ADHD it never really happened.

I'm ok with not being able to "learn" how to play in the traditional sense but being able to make music and even play something by wrote memorization would still be cool. Imma have to check it out.

Basically my exact situation. During Covid I did some self-teaching but it was slow going. Thinking this might be a neat way to play around and make noise that's not awful.

squirrelzipper fucked around with this message at 08:01 on Jan 11, 2024

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal
Looking more into Vision Pro, as one of the rare 3D movie enthusiasts, it makes me happy to see theyre making 150+ 3D movies available for streaming at launch.

I truly think the only way to sustain the technology outside of the occasional theatrical 3D movie is VR and while I know there are apps that rent them, I am surprised studios didnt embrace VR more as a means of distribution.

What blows my mind even more is that Avatar has never done any sort of VR game or experience. The one movie you think would have immediately capitalized on it.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

They could probably do a solid conversion of the recent Massive title, the Far Cry grab bag of game mechanics could adapt well to VR. Very first person centric, lots of potential for interactions for your hands.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

The Eyes Have It posted:

Some of y'all are going to look at the possibilities a bit more favorably when you get to the stage in your life where being anchored in a chair in front of a monitor just isn't that comfortable anymore.

I get what you’re saying but laptops already let you use your computer wherever you want

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Eye of the Temple dev talks of revenue of his game
https://blog.runevision.com/2024/01/2023-retrospective-and-goals-for-new.html

Stanko-Prussian
May 22, 2006

CLEAN YOUR ROOM!, 'they' said.
DO YOUR HOMEWORK!, 'they' said.
WHY ARE YOU IN LOVE WITH A CARTOON PONY, 'they' said.
FOR GODSAKE! STOP SHOWING US YOUR BLACKHOLE'!! 'they' said.

When I lit the match....STOP SCREAMING, 'I' said
Man, if there's any psycho within you at all, Blade & Sorcery is sure to find it huh?

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

AccountSupervisor posted:

Looking more into Vision Pro, as one of the rare 3D movie enthusiasts, it makes me happy to see theyre making 150+ 3D movies available for streaming at launch.

I truly think the only way to sustain the technology outside of the occasional theatrical 3D movie is VR and while I know there are apps that rent them, I am surprised studios didnt embrace VR more as a means of distribution.

What blows my mind even more is that Avatar has never done any sort of VR game or experience. The one movie you think would have immediately capitalized on it.

If there was a pared down version of the Vision Pro that was strictly movie centric and cheaper I'd be all over that.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
edit: woops

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Homeless Friend posted:

the most disgusting thing about teh quest is that it doesn't have proper slide typing. why on earth would you ever type one key at a time when you've got a floating pointer. just buy out some android company meta mf's. theres a version in there but is implemented real poorly

gotta do one of those controller based typing systems lets see we got 4 buttons and 8 directions to point the stick so thats 24 then you have 4 grips thats 96 thats more than enough for most basic characters plus room for 1-0 and some punctuation

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Al! posted:

gotta do one of those controller based typing systems lets see we got 4 buttons and 8 directions to point the stick so thats 24 then you have 4 grips thats 96 thats more than enough for most basic characters plus room for 1-0 and some punctuation

Japanese keyboards on touchscreen look like this

The way it works is that each key can either be tapped or swiped in a direction to get a different character.

You could do something similar with two sticks - 9 directions for the left stick (including center) and 5 permutations for the right stick gives 45 options. Use the two triggers for caps/symbol modifiers and the two bumpers for selecting a letter and backspace.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

The Grumbles posted:

I get what you’re saying but laptops already let you use your computer wherever you want

Have you ever tried to use a laptop while taking a walk? Walking around the house? Laying down in bed? Wedged in between two sumo wrestlers in economy class? Stuffed into a locker? Hiding from enemies under a large cardboard box?

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

MarcusSA posted:

It seems to work really well from the guy I saw playing it.

It's really a very nice app and the devs are all over it. On Amazon you can get a USB-C to USB-B for like $5 and it's plug and play with the two Yamahas I tried.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

god wait didnt the 360 have some sort of keyboard you could work with just a controller (without having to hunt and peck the right key)

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.

Stanko-Prussian posted:

Man, if there's any psycho within you at all, Blade & Sorcery is sure to find it huh?

luckily I can't one handed neck snap people IRL because it's like little pub bread sticks of dopamine.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

can someone give me the last word on vorpx? ive heard mixed things but now that i have a computer that could reasonably run it and done some stuff with luke rods and uevr and other injectors it maybe seems like a good option?

LeisureSuit Canary
Dec 27, 2012

Has anyone done a Meta VR study before? I got an email asking me to apply for a Meta vr research thing. Essentially they'll pay me $175 for a 2 hour session. I applied and got accepted. I looked around and it's not a scam. Meta has confirmed the email that these come from and all that. It'll be under an NDA but haven't actually been told anything.

Seems likely to be related to the new Attack on Titan game but they could not tell me what it is ahead of time. The application did specifically mention Swarm which makes sense if it is AoT.

I'll just be casting from my quest to my PC and screen sharing it with some researcher for an hour. Then they'll spend an hour interviewing me about it.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

Al! posted:

can someone give me the last word on vorpx? ive heard mixed things but now that i have a computer that could reasonably run it and done some stuff with luke rods and uevr and other injectors it maybe seems like a good option?

Ive personally find its cinema mode with 3D way better than the full VR features. Its also heavily game dependent and what method it uses to render the depth. If the game can render G3D its usually great, but the depth buffer mode leaves the typical halo/ghosting effect.

For instance, it turns a game like Ori and the Blind Forest into an absolutely magical 3D gaming experience. It looks really neat for Horizon ZD. Its also the only way to play the og Tomb Raiders 2013 with its native 3D.

I thought its CP2077 VR mode was total rear end compared to Luke Ross though. I found most of the games I tried with it were cool but I wouldnt play them all the way through.

UEVR makes it seem really outdated and clunky.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zHc4bXurtKY
underdogs trailer

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Give

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...
FUCK U and never come back

Koramei posted:

Fanny packs are cool now, in case you missed it

I read an article somewhere or another talking about the vision wrt Jobs' design philosophy, and how it gets it backwards. He was all about imagining an idea and pushing the tech forward to match, whereas this, like all VR really, is about pushing the tech forwards and hoping to catch an idea along the way.

I'm not sure I agree with the sentiment though. I'm honestly -- clearly in the minority, here at least, to be fair -- thinking MR is that idea. It solves so many of VR's discomforts imo. The nausea is reduced, it's so much less stifling to put on since you can see around you, it's less socially isolating. The tech is also so much more important to our day to day than VR.
MR is just such a logical step forwards, not just for HMDs, but just... everything. Perhaps not while strapping a giant weight to your head, but what's natural about us interfacing with 2D screens, other than coming from a 100 year legacy of film? The way we see our world is with it all around us, the way we set up our physical spaces and order our tasks is all around us. The world we actually know is in 3D, makes use of depth, makes use of space. 2D is what we have because it's what we had to have, but there's nothing innately better about it. Perhaps having stuff lazily arranged in an arc in front of your person, sure, but in a flatly 2D space? Please.

I think designing a device from that angle is totally logical, and a genuine step forward; it's up against an immense amount of inertia in that all our useful apps and workflows are in 2D, but if designers push against that, it is just better to work in with depth. Will this be the breakthrough that gets us there? I think that's still very up in the air. But I don't at all think the idea is devoid of creativity.

2D follows naturally from filling out sheets of paper at a desk, which is what humans did for thousands of years before we replaced those pieces of paper with screens.

Yeah, doing real physical work like tilling fields or spinning thread is 3D, but it's not like we really do any of that poo poo on computers. What we do on computers (when it comes to actual work, anyway) is mostly filling out forms, pushing buttons, sending mail, writing down ideas, reading stuff, and other things along those lines. All stuff that is inherently 2D anyway.

That's exactly why "working in VR" has gone absolutely nowhere while "gaming in VR" has been the lifeblood of the industry: because most of the actual work things we do on computers are inherently 2D tasks anyway. Doing spreadsheets and writing letters were 2D tasks back when we did them on actual physical pieces of paper with actual physical tools on actual physical desks, so the reason they're also in 2D on computers isn't because of the limitations of computers.

Of course there's some niche cases where the work is both digital and 3D, like if you're a 3D modeler. But that's a relatively small niche, and one that the existing headset companies have been fighting over for more than a decade.

Doctor Zero posted:

Have you ever tried to use a laptop while taking a walk? Walking around the house? Laying down in bed? Wedged in between two sumo wrestlers in economy class? Stuffed into a locker? Hiding from enemies under a large cardboard box?

If you want to do that, you might as well just use your phone. You're not going to be able to type on a wireless keyboard in most of those scenarios, and you're probably not going to be able to wave your arms around and do gestures to control everything either. A touchscreen you can operate with just one finger is often going to work a lot better for doing anything useful while you're on the move or wedged into a tight space.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

all I'm asking god for is that one day I can VR pilot Metal Gear Rex in a mech battle game of steel battalion level controls, in the meanwhile this is a good step in the right direction

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

Al! posted:

god wait didnt the 360 have some sort of keyboard you could work with just a controller (without having to hunt and peck the right key)

Beyond good and evil had the best implementation of a controller keyboard. https://youtu.be/euquOpUmUyk?si=hZ_1uXtQpdO0TvW4

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Whether you like it or not, you're simply going to have to accept that since we now have transparent monitors and screens, as well as AI and rudiment AR, eventually we're going to see fully-functional scouters at cosplay conventions.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Would have been triple that if he listened to people who knew wtf they were talking about multiple years ago.

Love that game. Nice dude. But listens to the worst loving people about his product.

EbolaIvory fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Jan 11, 2024

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

EbolaIvory posted:

Would have been triple that if he listened to people who knew wtf they were talking about multiple years ago.

Love that game. Nice dude. But listens to the worst loving people about his product.

honestly one of my big complaints about steam is that they are very bad at helping you look for pcvr games. it feels like all you get is the top of the pile (mostly games that already have quest ports and ill take a native app any day) and the bottom of the barrel someone putting their first vr project on steam poo poo. the quest store is terrible too but its right there in your headset, hard to compete with that

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

EbolaIvory posted:

I think the average vr indie dev is... very set in their ways. Then again, if they would be smarter business-wise, and would listen to what people tell them, they wouldn't try to be vr indie devs, you know? :P

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
If they weren't set in their ways they probably would not be indie dev-ing anything at all :v:

e: I'm kind of curious about the next (non-VR) title: The Big Forest.

The Eyes Have It fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Jan 11, 2024

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

Al! posted:

It’s still terrible and still costs $40

Stormangel
Sep 28, 2001
No, I'm not a girl.

pun pundit posted:

Beyond good and evil had the best implementation of a controller keyboard. https://youtu.be/euquOpUmUyk?si=hZ_1uXtQpdO0TvW4

I'm glad someone else thinks this. Give it shift keys for caps, numbers, and symbols and you're golden

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.

AccountSupervisor posted:

UEVR makes it seem really outdated and clunky.

I just looked up what that was and :monocle:

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

Wrong thread

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

Vizuyos posted:

2D follows naturally from filling out sheets of paper at a desk, which is what humans did for thousands of years before we replaced those pieces of paper with screens.

Yeah, doing real physical work like tilling fields or spinning thread is 3D, but it's not like we really do any of that poo poo on computers. What we do on computers (when it comes to actual work, anyway) is mostly filling out forms, pushing buttons, sending mail, writing down ideas, reading stuff, and other things along those lines. All stuff that is inherently 2D anyway.

That's exactly why "working in VR" has gone absolutely nowhere while "gaming in VR" has been the lifeblood of the industry: because most of the actual work things we do on computers are inherently 2D tasks anyway. Doing spreadsheets and writing letters were 2D tasks back when we did them on actual physical pieces of paper with actual physical tools on actual physical desks, so the reason they're also in 2D on computers isn't because of the limitations of computers.

Like 99.9% of us were not filling out sheets of paper for thousands of years lol. I guess you're right that 2D workflows follow naturally from filling out forms (and so the computer 'desktop' etc), but I'd say that's again a limitation of paper just being what there was than inherently being good to work with on a human level.
People working mainly in 3D are the minority today but as it gets easier to create 3D diagrams, charts, even models and scans of objects, I'm willing to bet we're going to be seeing it integrated more and more. Frankly most things we use 2D for are better visualized in 3D, it's just that it was prohibitively difficult/heavy to create and render it that way until 5-10 years ago. Not to mention in this particular case, Apple's market is much more designers than accountants, and 3D is a bigger and bigger part of that line of work these days.

As for working in VR not catching on, the devices have been so limited that gaming was all that was really possible. MR as a viable use case -- and so making working with an HMD more natural -- is just starting. I have the Quest Pro and the passthrough isn't good enough to make it comfortable even in that; the Quest 3 is the first headset I've used that I feel is just starting to push at that boundary. By all accounts (heavily curated by Apple, tbf) the Vision Pro breaks through that. Whether that's enough for it to actually catch on remains to be seen; I'm optimistic towards its prospects but I'd hardly say I'd bet on it just yet. But I think 5-10-15 years the advantages of a freeform three-dimensional workflow are going to be self evident.

quote:

If you want to do that, you might as well just use your phone. You're not going to be able to type on a wireless keyboard in most of those scenarios, and you're probably not going to be able to wave your arms around and do gestures to control everything either. A touchscreen you can operate with just one finger is often going to work a lot better for doing anything useful while you're on the move or wedged into a tight space.

We'll have to see how well it works, but Apple's been touting eye control as the main driver, along with very light gestures from the wrists up. You don't have to wave your arms around like Minority Report.
Voice recognition is also getting really good these days, although the prospect of people dictating to their goggles next to me on an airplane is a bit infuriating lol.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I already know the medtech space will be all over the Vision Pro for training purposes. I do video work for Johnson & Johnson sometimes and have got to demo some of their surgical training VR on a Quest 2 and it was pretty cool. They are pretty full in on the tech so I can imagine something like the Vision Pro will be a huge leap for implementing the same training in the MR/AR space, which they mentioned they were pushing more towards as headsets improved.

BAD AT STUFF
May 10, 2012

We choose to go to the moon in this decade and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because fuck you.

Vizuyos posted:

I'd put money on speech-to-text becoming the preferred input method for XR in the future. OpenAI's Whisper seems pretty good from the little bit I've messed with it. If we do stick with something physical, connecting a phone to the headset for a Swype-style keyboard is about the only thing that comes to mind. I think speech is more likely, though.

If that does happen, I hope we go to throat mics and subvocalization. I don't want to be subjected to other people's emails all day.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Vizuyos posted:

Why not? It could be a little handheld keyboard, maybe some palm sized thing that folds out into a full size keyboard, or maybe hand tracking will get good enough that you could use any hard surface as a multitouch surface. I don't think the hand-gesture heavy input of Quest is particularly great idea for long term use, but that's only an early implementation of XR input, what Apple's seems to be going for is eye tracking for cursor position and hand pinches for selection/clicks, with hand movements mostly for things like scrolling. Most reports seem to indicate it works extremely well and removes the gorilla arm factor.

You're also forgetting that you can't use a touchscreen with one finger, you're using at least 5. One of your hands has to hold the screen and you haven't even started to unravel the implications of this; with that hand free you can use a computer with your hands dirty or even full, you don't have to sit down your screen on something, prop it up against a box or whatever. You don't have to squint at a 6" display feet away from you while following a tutorial or while cooking, pausing or scanning through the video would be possible with flour encrusted hands. You'll (eventually) get integrated magnification, integrated night vision, the ability to accurately measure something by dragging your fingers between two points. This is barely scratching the surface too with some of the most uncreative applications.

There isn't a single application where phones would work better than an AR headset, outside of taking selfies. Though you could just put a little wireless camera on the end of a stick I guess.

SCheeseman fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Jan 12, 2024

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

Architecture (and anyone working with building plans; part of my job is to update plans of buildings as modifications are made), product design, and other fields that work with real objects in a theoretical way are all forced to look at 3D objects through a 2D abstraction because of the historic use of 2D surfaces for work in an office environment. Many of these fields are now working on 3D models of their work on 2D screens, which is still an abstraction that can lead to errors or poor representation of the work. VR or AR could make some of this work easier, but it needs to be good enough for a work environment first.

Apple seems to be thinking in this direction, but also seems to care too much about preserving the user's hair style and too little about the comfort of wearing a device on your face for hours. Even normal glasses can be painful to the nose or ears after wearing them the whole day, VR/AR will never be as light as just glass and wire, that is literally impossible. A strap over the top of the head is necessary for a work device.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

pun pundit posted:

Architecture (and anyone working with building plans; part of my job is to update plans of buildings as modifications are made), product design, and other fields that work with real objects in a theoretical way are all forced to look at 3D objects through a 2D abstraction because of the historic use of 2D surfaces for work in an office environment.

for chemical plant design post WWII they actually moved from 2d blueprints to building a full to-scale model of the entire factory, since making sure all the pipes and wires and poo poo lined up properly was way too tedious and error-prone otherwise

nowadays of course they render it in 3d, but it shows that the 3d workflow actually predates computers