Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

webmeister posted:

Make sure you check out a show with Arthur and shout approval constantly - it's great

Whoo, snake lady! :clint:

Made me crack up.

E: how do I make small game arrows etc to hunt different kinds of game? I want to get perfect skins etc for making items, but I keep messing it up and getting good or poor quality instead.

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 12:59 on Jan 6, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Philippe posted:

Ah okay. I did the modding thing two years ago, presumably things have gotten better since then.

Does the survival mod work well with the vanilla game? That one seems very interesting to me (I love taking good care of my Arthur).

https://www.nexusmods.com/reddeadredemption2/mods/322

Should do! Probably better than if you stack mods on top of mods.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
The urination hotkey is P, because of course it is.

E: I also wonder how a mod like that works with long time skips like Guarma, or if it's designed for the postgame.

E2: for Teriyaki, you make small game arrows by combining a shotgun shell, an arrow, and a flight feather in the crafting menu. You don't need a recipe. They're only good for squirrels and sparrows and such, rabbits don't die from an SGA. For those guys you need a varmint rifle.

Philippe fucked around with this message at 13:41 on Jan 6, 2024

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Philippe posted:

The urination hotkey is P, because of course it is.

E: I also wonder how a mod like that works with long time skips like Guarma, or if it's designed for the postgame.

Probably the same, though you're likely to struggle with being in a good condition, but there are wildlife you can kill and I'm p sure you can campfire there?

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

I stumbled ass-backwards into a comfortable, easy life for reasons beyond my comprehension and now I think I'm better than you for it.

I love learning new cowboy songs and I didn’t know this one. Thanks!

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
What do you do with money after you've bought out the guns you want, pimped out your horse/clothes, bought all camp upgrades, etc? I'm sitting at about $2k after using this guide ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FqBDge3h46U ) plus doing the Poison Trail treasure hunt and buying everything I could possibly need.

Also I unfortunately just found out that both Greenshot and the Microsoft HDR view capture both don't work well with this game, so a lot of the really nice views I've seen are just screenshots of the pause menu or whatever. Guess I'll have to use Steam's built-in screenshot capture instead from now on. Still, this game looks really, really amazing at max settings on PC.

Example of a night scene in Valentine:

My pimped out Arthur (need to put his black tie back on, Saint Denis is primo for classy suited up cowboy clothes):

E: this game really deserves either a big TV or a good OLED monitor to play on to bring out its full beauty.

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Jan 6, 2024

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
Greenshot doesn't work for you? I got it to work real well, but I used the crop tool (ctrl+prntscrn) and had the game in borderless windowed mode.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Philippe posted:

Greenshot doesn't work for you? I got it to work real well, but I used the crop tool (ctrl+prntscrn) and had the game in borderless windowed mode.

Mine is in borderless windowed too, but have print screen for capture window/screen without crop. Maybe that's why.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

webmeister posted:

Make sure you check out a show with Arthur and shout approval constantly - it's great

Cheer for the acts and heckle the MC

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

Mine is in borderless windowed too, but have print screen for capture window/screen without crop. Maybe that's why.

I've used it a bunch for :filez: games, all by using the crop function on the entire screen. Never had an issue. I don't recommend using it in games without a photo mode, because the screen freezes while the game carries on.

Philippe fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Jan 6, 2024

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

webmeister posted:

Snaaaaaaake lady

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

What do you do with money after you've bought out the guns you want, pimped out your horse/clothes, bought all camp upgrades, etc? I'm sitting at about $2k after using this guide ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FqBDge3h46U ) plus doing the Poison Trail treasure hunt and buying everything I could possibly need.

Also I unfortunately just found out that both Greenshot and the Microsoft HDR view capture both don't work well with this game, so a lot of the really nice views I've seen are just screenshots of the pause menu or whatever. Guess I'll have to use Steam's built-in screenshot capture instead from now on. Still, this game looks really, really amazing at max settings on PC.

Example of a night scene in Valentine:

My pimped out Arthur (need to put his black tie back on, Saint Denis is primo for classy suited up cowboy clothes):

E: this game really deserves either a big TV or a good OLED monitor to play on to bring out its full beauty.

The implementation of HDR on PC is definitely just poo poo in this game, and probably quite likely due to Windows as much as R* but this is still up there for best looking game available. A fully tricked out Cyberpunk with RT Path Tracing probably takes it in raw fidelity, but the art direction of RDR2 is something else.
A path traced RDR 2 would be obscene.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Philippe posted:

I've used it a bunch for :filez: games, all by using the crop function on the entire screen. Never had an issue. I don't recommend using it in games without a photo mode, because the screen freezes while the game carries on.

Yeah, exactly. It's fine for quiet moments where you're enjoying the landscape, but certain action and story segments just make the crop function impractical.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Hobo Clown posted:

I named my white Arabian Mayoneighs

Because of capital letters I can’t tell if you have a:

white Arabian horse named Mayoneighs

Or a white horse named Arabian Mayoneighs

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Josuke Higashikata posted:

The implementation of HDR on PC is definitely just poo poo in this game, and probably quite likely due to Windows as much as R* but this is still up there for best looking game available. A fully tricked out Cyberpunk with RT Path Tracing probably takes it in raw fidelity, but the art direction of RDR2 is something else.
A path traced RDR 2 would be obscene.

Rdr2 is my main piece of evidence that games look basically fine now and developers need to work on crowd size and loading times instead of cramming more polygons into half-eaten sandwiches

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
I stayed up until 5 am last night just whiling away at RDR2 and finally got to the same story beat where I stopped two years ago (ie after they finish fishing and arrive at their new lake campsite).

This time around, however, I've been "taking breaks" in between missions by going out hunting, collecting bounties etc and it's soooo much better this way. Like there was a heavy beat with Arthur contemplating their inevitable extinction as outlaws, so I decide to RP it as "gently caress it, I'm gonna chill out by heading to the mountains and hunting down a legendary buck". I mean, that's what I'd do under the circumstances.

Doing what you can to get into Arthur's shoes makes the whole experience that much more enjoyable and immersive. Highly recommend!

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

Inspector Hound posted:

Rdr2 is my main piece of evidence that games look basically fine now and developers need to work on crowd size and loading times instead of cramming more polygons into half-eaten sandwiches

This seems to be basically what they're going for with GTA6 - the graphics look better than RDR2, but the crowd density on show in the trailer is something else. And the incidental details as well, like the way you can see two NPCs passing beer cans between themselves, a trio of pedestrians slightly altering their steps to walk around a homeless guy etc

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010
This thread has ended with me re-downloaded rdr2 which I'll see if I can get to the end of the story this time around. Will have to wait a week though as I'm going away on a trip and I'm not taking a computer with me

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

I stayed up until 5 am last night just whiling away at RDR2 and finally got to the same story beat where I stopped two years ago (ie after they finish fishing and arrive at their new lake campsite).

This time around, however, I've been "taking breaks" in between missions by going out hunting, collecting bounties etc and it's soooo much better this way. Like there was a heavy beat with Arthur contemplating their inevitable extinction as outlaws, so I decide to RP it as "gently caress it, I'm gonna chill out by heading to the mountains and hunting down a legendary buck". I mean, that's what I'd do under the circumstances.

Doing what you can to get into Arthur's shoes makes the whole experience that much more enjoyable and immersive. Highly recommend!

Yeah that's the main thing I like about this game. You're encouraged to take breaks, pick flowers, go hunting, etc.

I'm doing more camp stuff this time around (I always end my sessions by going back to camp and sleeping, I do chores at the start, and I pay attention to conversations and such). I think I'm gonna get most of the cosmetic upgrades, because they look nice and it's a reason to go out and find specific things.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

webmeister posted:

This seems to be basically what they're going for with GTA6 - the graphics look better than RDR2, but the crowd density on show in the trailer is something else. And the incidental details as well, like the way you can see two NPCs passing beer cans between themselves, a trio of pedestrians slightly altering their steps to walk around a homeless guy etc

The smoothness in those animations where they pass an object and you can't see the moment it magnetises to the other model are the next level bits for sure. I suspect some of the crowd density is only going to be there on mission, which is fine. There's a small number of animations in RDR2 where they do the same sort of next level poo poo, like when someone chucks a shotgun to Arthur.

Philippe posted:

Yeah that's the main thing I like about this game. You're encouraged to take breaks, pick flowers, go hunting, etc.

I'm doing more camp stuff this time around (I always end my sessions by going back to camp and sleeping, I do chores at the start, and I pay attention to conversations and such). I think I'm gonna get most of the cosmetic upgrades, because they look nice and it's a reason to go out and find specific things.

I didn't realise this until I checked last night but the author of the mod I linked for the needs has loads of other RP friendly stuff like you're focusing on. It doesn't gel with the story but there's a seasons mod where eventually snow comes through the map etc. It'll play nice with the other mods because same author. https://www.nexusmods.com/reddeadredemption2/users/37378325?tab=user+files

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
So, uh, how do I do heists/robberies without it becoming a huge shoot-out with the whole town? I did the one at the gun shop in Saint Denis with the illicit poker room upstairs and they took too long to open the safe, so a police officer wandered in which commenced a huge massacre of the entire Saint Denis police force, resulting in a total of about $430 in fines, meaning it was a huge net loss.

Exciting, but thoroughly unprofitable/costly.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Josuke Higashikata posted:

I didn't realise this until I checked last night but the author of the mod I linked for the needs has loads of other RP friendly stuff like you're focusing on. It doesn't gel with the story but there's a seasons mod where eventually snow comes through the map etc. It'll play nice with the other mods because same author. https://www.nexusmods.com/reddeadredemption2/users/37378325?tab=user+files

Cool, thanks! They made a mod where you can be a moonshiner like in the Online mode, which is neat. I got that one, the hunting overhaul, and the basic needs mod.

I'm not gonna go overboard I'm not gonna go overboard I'm not gonna go overboard I'm not gonna go overboard I'm not gonna go overboard I'm not gonna go overboard

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

So, uh, how do I do heists/robberies without it becoming a huge shoot-out with the whole town? I did the one at the gun shop in Saint Denis with the illicit poker room upstairs and they took too long to open the safe, so a police officer wandered in which commenced a huge massacre of the entire Saint Denis police force, resulting in a total of about $430 in fines, meaning it was a huge net loss.

Exciting, but thoroughly unprofitable/costly.

the bandana and not getting identified is so finicky that honestly, it's maybe best to save scum and if you get in a big shoot out or want to go on a rampage, load after

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

I stumbled ass-backwards into a comfortable, easy life for reasons beyond my comprehension and now I think I'm better than you for it.
Conversely, shoot all the witnesses and ride your horse as fast as polished steel.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
Whoops, I didn't back up my save before doing moonshiner stuff, it didn't work, and long story short I had to start over. Rrrr. Don't do what Donny Don't does.

I found a chapter 2 save with minimal progress, but the map is already revealed! Sigh.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
I've been in the mood of completing collection quests and trinkets/talismans lately, so I did the rock carving collection quest last night:

That was pretty trippy seeing the ending of that quest line with Sinclair actually being a baby. I'm guessing he needed to piece together a blueprint to travel through time to ensure his own birth? Weird stuff.

Is it possible to complete the Legendary Animals collection in chapter 3? I think there are 4 animals left that are gated behind main story content, but I'm reluctant to check since there are warnings of spoilers.

Corzaa
Aug 1, 2006

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

Is it possible to complete the Legendary Animals collection in chapter 3? I think there are 4 animals left that are gated behind main story content, but I'm reluctant to check since there are warnings of spoilers.

You can get all but 4 legendary animals in chapter 3. One of them is the final challenge in the Master Hunter challenges.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
So does Bill feed his horse super steroids or something? That thing is buff as hell.

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

Node posted:

So does Bill feed his horse super steroids or something? That thing is buff as hell.

Draft horses are huge! And can carry a lot of weight (sorry Bill)

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
I installed the 4 seasons mod and Vestigia, but I might've used the wrong version because it says it's summer and 26 degrees, but it's not hot, and three was also a snowstorm in Valentine :psyduck:
Maybe I installed a climate change mod by accident.

Also I only just discovered that (o)possums will actually play possum if you get too close to them! You even get the skin/pick up carcass options, lol. This game...

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

Also I only just discovered that (o)possums will actually play possum if you get too close to them! You even get the skin/pick up carcass options, lol. This game...

One of the later stages of either the hunter or survivalist challenge is in fact to kill a possum while it's doing that

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Okay, so for my legendary animal checklist I still have panther, cougar, pronghorn, tatanka bison, and alligator left. I think somebody said 4 of these are still gated behind story missions, but I'm counting five. Is there one I can still get in the middle of chapter three?

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
You can kill the alligator after a certain mission in chapter 4, the other ones unlock in the epilogue.

Corzaa
Aug 1, 2006

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

Okay, so for my legendary animal checklist I still have panther, cougar, pronghorn, tatanka bison, and alligator left. I think somebody said 4 of these are still gated behind story missions, but I'm counting five. Is there one I can still get in the middle of chapter three?

The Panther won’t spawn until you’ve completed Master Hunter 9.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

PlushCow posted:

Draft horses are huge! And can carry a lot of weight (sorry Bill)

Just imagine if you had 100 powerful horses. You'd basically be unstoppable.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Corzaa posted:

The Panther won’t spawn until you’ve completed Master Hunter 9.

And it only appears in an epilogue area.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
gently caress yes! Got my Legends of the East satchel.

Now I'm off to tick off the list for decorating around camp. Sometimes hunting can be tedious (especially in the case of getting a perfect badger or cougar pelt), sometimes it can be satisfying.

Corzaa
Aug 1, 2006

Philippe posted:

And it only appears in an epilogue area.

That’s the Cougar. The Panther spawns near Catfish Jackson’s.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
Time for a 3rd playthrough, no matter how much I try I somehow cant play high honor Arthur

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
To actually talk about the game design, I really enjoy how adeptly Rockstar is able to integrate its thematic elements into gameplay. When you get to Saint Denis you also begin getting more modern weapons, and with how theyve chosen to make using the action of the guns a distinct button press, getting semi-automatic weapons immediately makes you more casually lethal. I really love how this falls into the wider theme of how the modern, industrialized world has a much more callous disregard for human life

Another place this is used is the epilogue, also to great effect. When you, as John Marston finally ride out to fight the rustlers hassling your employer it feels really cathartic. Maybe this is just me, but when it happened I thought to myself "Hell yeah, time for a gunfight again." And this moment really I think explains why Abigail chooses to leave, which a lot of people misinterpret. When that moment happens, the player feels probably how John Marston feels, ready to engage in brutal violence to escape the drudgery of ranching life. Which makes how fun the homebuilding section is also work really well, because it represents John AND the player finally ready to put down violence and find joy in domestic life.

tldr: Rockstar really captured how to integrate gameplay into wider narrative themes in this game