Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Xiahou Dun posted:

Yeah, I don't know if insulting the judge to his face is a good call when he's the sole person in charge of exactly how hosed you are.

He's nominally doing all of this stuff because he only cares about appealing, but also he's already pissed off the New York Court of Appeals by doing this same poo poo. I don't have the knowledge-base to make predictions, but that doesn't seem like a good thing to me.

I mean it's great foelr everyone not named Trump. Assuming it sticks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Xiahou Dun posted:

Yeah, I don't know if insulting the judge to his face is a good call when he's the sole person in charge of exactly how hosed you are.

He's nominally doing all of this stuff because he only cares about appealing, but also he's already pissed off the New York Court of Appeals by doing this same poo poo. I don't have the knowledge-base to make predictions, but that doesn't seem like a good thing to me.

Seriously, why the gently caress didn't the judge just cite him for contempt and make him a guest of the state for 48 hours? If I was pulling all these stunts I'd be locked up long before now.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Cimber posted:

Seriously, why the gently caress didn't the judge just cite him for contempt and make him a guest of the state for 48 hours? If I was pulling all these stunts I'd be locked up long before now.

It would be cathartic, but he probably doesn't want to get jumped in a dark alley on his way home.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I mean it's great foelr everyone not named Trump. Assuming it sticks.

I try not to assume anyone (even/especially Trump) is a complete moron and actually there's some other strategy, logic, or motive in place (even if it's dumb) but all I can think of is that he knows he's hosed and so he's playing this up to his base. "Oh I'm so persecuted look at me this is unbelievable nobody is treated this unfairly, also give me money"

I think Engoron knows this and is trying to thread the needle of giving Trump a LOT of leeway to undercut that narrative while still not letting letting him run completely roughshod. Hence a lot of the permissiveness he's shown.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

KillHour posted:

It would be cathartic, but he probably doesn't want to get jumped in a dark alley on his way home.

He's already receiving bomb threats, he's probably got a security plan in place

DarkHorse posted:

I try not to assume anyone (even/especially Trump) is a complete moron and actually there's some other strategy, logic, or motive in place (even if it's dumb) but all I can think of is that he knows he's hosed and so he's playing this up to his base. "Oh I'm so persecuted look at me this is unbelievable nobody is treated this unfairly, also give me money"

I think Engoron knows this and is trying to thread the needle of giving Trump a LOT of leeway to undercut that narrative while still not letting letting him run completely roughshod. Hence a lot of the permissiveness he's shown.

Pretty much. He's given up on, or never seriously intended to, win a favorable verdict. His strategy is to return to the presidency and make it all disappear

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

haveblue posted:

Pretty much. He's given up on, or never seriously intended to, win a favorable verdict. His strategy is to return to the presidency and make it all disappear
Except this is NY state so he can't handwave that away. I think what he might want to do is piss off the judge that the judge imposes a really harsh sentence and he has grounds for appeal.

That's a bold strategy Cotton, lets see if it pays off for him.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
Trump's strategy was to get himself in the press as much as possible, to throw enough monkey wrenches into the case so that there's some grounds for appeal (or at least dragging out the appeals process), and to build a media narrative around himself being unjustly persecuted for his fans to gorge on.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

DarkHorse posted:

He's not a moron but Hanlons razor does not work with Trump because he is clinically insane; specifically, he has one of the most extreme cases of narcissistic personality disorder the world has ever seen. So hes not acting rationally and he isn't evaluating his situation rationally. He can't. He just sees the judge as out to get him personally, because he has a simplistic view of the world that can't grasp anything beyond himself or recognize that other people have motivations any more complex than his own.

(If you say Trump doesn't have a disorder because it isn't negatively impacting his life, the legal system is catching up on that front!)

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

Cimber posted:

Except this is NY state so he can't handwave that away.

If he wins the presidency such things as laws and state procedures will cease to exist anyway.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Comstar posted:

If he wins the presidency such things as laws and state procedures will cease to exist anyway.

I mean, they've never stopped him before. Literally.

Largely because in a surprisingly literal sense he doesn't recognize that they exist. He does stuff because he wants to, and other people just do stuff because they like or don't like him. He doesn't have any other model.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

He's not a moron but Hanlons razor does not work with Trump because he is clinically insane; specifically, he has one of the most extreme cases of narcissistic personality disorder the world has ever seen.

I think insanity is a strong word, but he's definitely cluster B as hell with some Bipolar Disorder thrown in and a smidge of amphetamine abuse for good measure.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!
Trial is wrapped. Engoron plans to rule by January 31st.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Paracaidas posted:

Trial is wrapped. Engoron plans to rule by January 31st.

i can't imagine he's terribly happy.

Milosh
Oct 14, 2000
Forum Veteran

FizFashizzle posted:

I think insanity is a strong word, but he's definitely cluster B as hell with some Bipolar Disorder thrown in and a smidge of amphetamine abuse for good measure.

Gotta have depression for that bipolar dx. I’m a therapist he’s a pure narcissist and amphetamine abuser.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Milosh posted:

Gotta have depression for that bipolar dx. I’m a therapist he’s a pure narcissist and amphetamine abuser.

I'm not a licensed anything in relation to mental health but I am a "survivor", you could say, of a narcissist family member and he is absolutely, one thousand percent, without a doubt a narcissist. I'm not going to be able to write a clinical diagnosis of what he does or why it sets me to red alert status to see his actions or hear his words but it does and I know deeper than my soul he is absolutely a narcissist.

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.

Cimber posted:

i can't imagine he's terribly happy.

I imagine Engoron is pretty happy no longer having to hear their arguments.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

bird food bathtub posted:

I'm not a licensed anything in relation to mental health but I am a "survivor", you could say, of a narcissist family member and he is absolutely, one thousand percent, without a doubt a narcissist. I'm not going to be able to write a clinical diagnosis of what he does or why it sets me to red alert status to see his actions or hear his words but it does and I know deeper than my soul he is absolutely a narcissist.

yep, same. I've never been more sure of anything in my life, you can tell by the way it is

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

I read a news article that the reason why Trump was prevented from making a long rambling speech about why he was the most innocent man ever....was because his lawyers didn't file the correct paper work in time.

So some of this behaviour is literally because Trump acts like a toddler who wants his play time, and isn't leaving until he gets his play time.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

The Question IRL posted:

I read a news article that the reason why Trump was prevented from making a long rambling speech about why he was the most innocent man ever....was because his lawyers didn't file the correct paper work in time.

So some of this behaviour is literally because Trump acts like a toddler who wants his play time, and isn't leaving until he gets his play time.

that doesn't capture the whole nuance, Trump's council didn't respond before the judge's deadline, but the response that they didn't give was a promise that Trump wouldn't go on an off-topic rant that the judge stipulated before he would allow Trump to make his own closing

Caros
May 14, 2008

The Question IRL posted:

Well this isn't quite right.

Trump's lawyers said he was going to, the state said 'uhhh, what? No, that isn't how this works please don't let them do this for all these legal reasons'. The judge said 'this case is weird and trump has reason to want to speak, so I will allow it. But trump has to promise not to be a poo poo heel and only stuck to the facts.

Teump' s lawyer responded to that how you can expect.

A bunch of back and forth, Trump's mom in law dies, they ask for an extension, judge says no. They don't respond by the second deadline and the judge tells them take it or leave it, they whine about it and then don't reply.

So while technically the reason it was denied was that they didn't meet his deadline, the reason they didn't meet the deadline is that trump wouldn't agree to the judge's conditions because those conditions explicitly included 'if he goes off on a tangent I WI have him removed and fined 50,000' and everyone knew he couldn't abide that.

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable

haveblue posted:

He's already receiving bomb threats, he's probably got a security plan in place

This is absolutely the strategy and why his lawyers are 100% focused on pleasing the mob boss and not at all concerned with winning the cases. A motion for double jeopardy because you were impeached by congress? Just need to hang on until after the election (going to be very easy to do this with delay tactics, his entire business empire was built on dragging out court cases for decades) when he declares martian law and God president immunity and it all goes away because who's gonna stop him? So far we've had nothing but countless profiles of no courage in Washington that have allowed this fucker to fester for 8 years.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Asproigerosis posted:

when he declares martian law

You know, I wouldn’t put it past him tbh.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Subjunctive posted:

You know, I wouldn’t put it past him tbh.

True, he already hates doctors and wizards

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

haveblue posted:

True, he already hates doctors and wizards

Wait, so he's a mage slayer barbarian?

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.
Can Trump shapeshift? Is he especially vulnerable to fire?

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

I may be in the minority here but I feel like the judicial system just has to loving break him.

Any of the judges involved are well within their rights to legally say he is in contempt and throw him in a cell. Trump is a sociopathic animal that only understands consequences and not consequences. We all know that the judges are terrified of his base and of whatever appeals his legal team is going to file, gently caress it, throw him into a cell.

Whatever particular judge makes that decision should just get a ton of private security and bill it out to the taxpayer because who the gently caress cares anymore, throw him into a cell.

His base is already doing all the things that everyone is scared of, so stick him in a loving hole and every time he acts out he goes back into the hole for more time.

He is a bully and bullies don't understand anything until they get their teeth kicked in.

I'm so loving over this.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

cr0y posted:

I may be in the minority here but I feel like the judicial system just has to loving break him.

Any of the judges involved are well within their rights to legally say he is in contempt and throw him in a cell. Trump is a sociopathic animal that only understands consequences and not consequences. We all know that the judges are terrified of his base and of whatever appeals his legal team is going to file, gently caress it, throw him into a cell.

Whatever particular judge makes that decision should just get a ton of private security and bill it out to the taxpayer because who the gently caress cares anymore, throw him into a cell.

His base is already doing all the things that everyone is scared of, so stick him in a loving hole and every time he acts out he goes back into the hole for more time.

He is a bully and bullies don't understand anything until they get their teeth kicked in.

I'm so loving over this.

It sounds like you forgot how the US legal system works for rich white guys. ESPECIALLY rich white former presidents.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Charliegrs posted:

It sounds like you forgot how the US legal system works for rich white guys. ESPECIALLY rich white former presidents.

Normally yes, but it requires that they do some level of playing along and doing their part to keep the gravy train going. Trump is not playing along and the gravy train is looking a bit wobbly

Orthanc6
Nov 4, 2009

cr0y posted:

I'm so loving over this.

Laws and their enforcement are about deterrence. There is no deterrence if, especially in cases like Trump, one spends their entire life without feeling consequences severe enough to deter actions.

So yeah, it's absurd that we're 3+ years out from this guy committing literal treason and we still have to scream for the legal and political systems to stop keeping their powder dry and hit this guy with something that will mean something, but here we are. Him getting kicked off the ballot in 2 states is the most real impact I've seen, and even that is still up in the air.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

cr0y posted:

I'm so loving over this.

The reason they aren't throwing Trump in jail for contempt isn't because they're scared of his base. It's because he's well within his rights to make unlikely legal arguments and whine about the trial on Twitter.

Contempt is very much a last resort, not a first resort. The power to arbitrarily jail someone indefinitely is one that should be exercised very rarely and very carefully, even if you hate the target and feel like they don't deserve due process.

If you're this worked up about the trials, then you should honestly stop following them day-to-day. Check back in six months or so. TV/IVing stuff like this is a bad idea if you're heavily emotionally invested in the result, because the legal system is generally not paced for good entertainment. Especially when it comes to the prosecution of organized crime bosses for organized crimes mostly carried out by their lackeys, something which is notoriously difficult to prosecute on.

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

Mike Duncan wrote a book called The Storm Before the Storm about the century leading up to the fall of the Roman Republic and one of the themes he returns to quite often is the steady erosion of mos maiorum, or the uncodified but vital social norms that formed an important supporting structure in roman civic life. These rules were sacrosanct until they weren't any longer (the book is filled with examples of important Roman figures like Marius, Sulla, and others breaking them), and as these unspoken prohibitions crumbled, ambitious individuals were afforded more and more leeway to blatantly ignore the actual laws. We all know what the result was and reading the book, it was difficult not to see the politics of the last 20 years closely resemble this pattern.

I've seen articles and editorials since the early 90s that the USA is speed-running the Roman empire. The only change I've ever seen in the discussion is to what will cause it.

I dug around but it's difficult to find articles pre-dating the internet.

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

Main Paineframe posted:

Contempt is very much a last resort, not a first resort.

And Trump has done a whole lot of things to either push the judges buttons or outright piss in his face.

Anyone else pulling the poo poo he has would've been slapped in jail over a contempt charge and no one would've batted an eye.

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

Hate to be That Guy but the Ghandi Civ thing is an urban legend

Never, it's a real as taser balls heart attack. It's real forever now

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

I'm just wondering why no one has directly asked Trump, to his face, "You understand that if you have full immunity, including being allowed to kill your political rivals, that Biden does as well?" It always seems to be people asking lawyers or legal experts, but it see,smloke no one has asked Trump himself.

I just want to see his reaction when he realizes that he's saying that it's perfectly fine for himself to be assassinated.

M.c.P
Mar 27, 2010

Stop it.
Stop all this nonsense.

Nap Ghost
Something something Biden’s not really president, I’m the best president, the only president ever really…

I don’t think it’s be satisfying to watch.

But I suspect it might lead to some extra paranoia.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

M.c.P posted:

Something something Biden’s not really president, I’m the best president, the only president ever really…

I don’t think it’s be satisfying to watch.

But I suspect it might lead to some extra paranoia.

Cleary Biden is not the president, as Trump was the rightful winner of the hijacked election, ergo...

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
Yeah. Anything Biden does is ipso facto illegitimate because he is not the president.
Even though, correct me if I am wrong, if Biden were to come out and say 'yes, every single thing Trump has said about the election is true, I cheated and stole the election," and then even detailed how he did it, he'd remain president, no? Once installed as president the only way you leave office before your term is death, resignation, Article 25, or impeachment, no? Like even if the president is conclusively proven, convicted even, of election fraud, he remains in office until if/when Congress impeaches him.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Randalor posted:

I'm just wondering why no one has directly asked Trump, to his face, "You understand that if you have full immunity, including being allowed to kill your political rivals, that Biden does as well?" It always seems to be people asking lawyers or legal experts, but it see,smloke no one has asked Trump himself.

I just want to see his reaction when he realizes that he's saying that it's perfectly fine for himself to be assassinated.

He doesn't have a concept of right and wrong in that sense.

He just thinks Biden is too "weak" and "afraid" to order that Trump be assassinated; he also thinks Biden has ordered him to be arrested, charged, etc.

HIs response would be that he wouldn't need to do that because he'd have Biden charged and "locked up."

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

Yeah. Anything Biden does is ipso facto illegitimate because he is not the president.
Even though, correct me if I am wrong, if Biden were to come out and say 'yes, every single thing Trump has said about the election is true, I cheated and stole the election," and then even detailed how he did it, he'd remain president, no? Once installed as president the only way you leave office before your term is death, resignation, Article 25, or impeachment, no? Like even if the president is conclusively proven, convicted even, of election fraud, he remains in office until if/when Congress impeaches him.

Probably?

Nothing was written with this scenario in mind. What you said makes as much sense as anything, because it's probably what causes the least amount of disorder, but hoping everyone agrees to what causes the least disorder has, over the past few years, increasingly looked less of a sure thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

Even if there were anything in the Constitution about this, Biden has ABSOLUTE PRESIDENTIAL IMMUNITY against the laws of man and God