Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I didn’t know about it! do you have an idea of what triggered it to start?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Subjunctive posted:

I didn’t know about it! do you have an idea of what triggered it to start?

Do a long press pretty much anywhere until you feel the click, and start dragging.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

spankmeister posted:

Do a long press pretty much anywhere until you feel the click, and start dragging.

Hmm, not for me on a 15PM with the latest beta and iOS 17.1.2. Just tried on this very post.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Subjunctive posted:

Hmm, not for me on a 15PM with the latest beta and iOS 17.1.2. Just tried on this very post.

Interesting, and you have haptics enabled?

I'm on a 12, same iOS version. (About to update to 17.2.1, don't expect that to make any difference)

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

spankmeister posted:

Interesting, and you have haptics enabled?

I did not, but now I do and the haptic only lasts until I stop pressing. I’ll keep at it, it’s not too surprising that some callback to stop the haptics got messed up with the PromiseKit/async surgery that just happened, IMO

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Subjunctive posted:

I did not, but now I do and the haptic only lasts until I stop pressing. I’ll keep at it, it’s not too surprising that some callback to stop the haptics got messed up with the PromiseKit/async surgery that just happened, IMO

That's the same for me, it keeps vibrating until you lift off again. I don't think it's supposed to vibrate though.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
15pm, 17.2.1, i can reproduce the constant vibration. it will happen if you "select" text or just press and hold and then move your finger around. It stops shortly after you stop moving your finger, and starts again when you move your finger again.

https://imgur.com/a/PJUxej1

Edit: this started with the current revision of the app i think, previously it wouldn't vibrate all the time like this.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Yeah that's been happening to me as well but not often enough that I felt obliged to try and repro. It's a fun little surprise when I do it by accident but it should probs be fixed.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Long-pressing any part of the screen, scrollbars included, causes the haptics to go absolutely nuts when you move your finger. Latest App Store Awful, latest iOS on a 2020 SE.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

spankmeister posted:

That's the same for me, it keeps vibrating until you lift off again. I don't think it's supposed to vibrate though.

Oh, I thought the problem was that the haptics got stuck “on” forever while using the app. This should just be one haptic blip on the long press and then nothing, I guess? I don’t know what the design intent was behind the haptics. I leave them off because they’re noisy when I’m in bed

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Subjunctive posted:

It isn’t a new thing. It’s done it for maybe like a year or two now.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Yeah it's been a bug for a long time, a kind of funny one.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I’ll do some archaeology I guess.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
Please don’t fix it, it’s cool

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Please don’t fix it, it’s cool

It fucks my battery up the rear end so please fix it.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Stare-Out posted:

It fucks my battery up the rear end so please fix it.

But you want the rest of the haptics everywhere?

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Subjunctive posted:

But you want the rest of the haptics everywhere?

The haptics are awesome. Honestly, I wish every app gave me a haptic tap when I open it up and otherwise in Awful they're really good, just not a tidal wave of vibrations whenever I happen to hold my finger down when I'm scrolling or selecting text.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Stare-Out posted:

The haptics are awesome. Honestly, I wish every app gave me a haptic tap when I open it up and otherwise in Awful they're really good, just not a tidal wave of vibrations whenever I happen to hold my finger down when I'm scrolling or selecting text.

I have to press hard to trigger the haptics, not just touch and hold like I do when scrolling. What device are you on?

E: lol the selection behaviour is ridiculous

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

I've enjoyed it as a weird quirk of this app, but it should probably be fixed yeah

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Subjunctive posted:

I have to press hard to trigger the haptics, not just touch and hold like I do when scrolling. What device are you on?

E: lol the selection behaviour is ridiculous

I'm on a 2020SE so no 3D touch or anything, the haptics are binary. Like I said, general tap haptics are really good but pressing down and moving your finger triggers constant haptic spam that just feels weird and that includes scrollbar and text selection so it probably shouldn't happen. I'm guessing a huge amount of it like that screws the battery too.

spanky the dolphin
Sep 3, 2006

Yeah a single vibration on button press feels great but the glitch makes the feature unusable for me. Hope it can be fixed!

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Sometimes I get it on the scrollbar, and sometimes I don’t. This wacky app, I tell ya.

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

Subjunctive posted:

Sometimes I get it on the scrollbar, and sometimes I don’t. This wacky app, I tell ya.

If you longpress on a visible scrollthumb then it will give you a haptic tap right as it gets "grabbed", indicating that you've activated Ultimate Scrolling Mode. If you begin moving your finger right as that tap occurs, then you get to scroll around without any haptic spam. But if you leave your finger in place for even slightly longer before moving it, then you will have entered a world called Vibe  *hapticcrack*

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

I only get single haptic taps in the times they seem to be intended, I couldn't trigger continuous haptics with the scroll bar trick described above or by selecting text. iPhone XS, Awful.app is current store version as of this post and iOS is 17.2.1.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah ive never noticed weird haptics, and i tried to force them using the step by step above and couldn’t trigger it.

iPhone 14 Pro, latest iOS, TestFlight version.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

do you both have “enable haptics” turned on in the settings? what you’re describing was my experience before I turned that on

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Does haptics do anything, especially for the Awful App?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

as per the last twenty posts in this thread, they do quite a bit

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
They feel really cool.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Subjunctive posted:

do you both have “enable haptics” turned on in the settings? what you’re describing was my experience before I turned that on

I didn't, turning it on and seeing what happens.

Edit: it went crazy like described above, turned it back off.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Subjunctive posted:

Yup, and the feedback feels correct. Single bump when I’d expect it.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

EL BROMANCE posted:

Yup, and the feedback feels correct. Single bump when I’d expect it.

no, “enable haptics” in the Awful app settings

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Ahhh I’d never spotted that one and assumed it inherited from the OS one. Enabled now and expecting lots of clicky fun.

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

EL BROMANCE posted:

Ahhh I’d never spotted that one and assumed it inherited from the OS one. Enabled now and expecting lots of clicky fun.

welcome to the quake zone

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

Grace Baiting posted:

welcome to the quake zone

Bug report: the current TestFlight build doesn't seem to know how to render monospaced text inside monospaced tags anymore

Regular text
fixed-with text
pre:
preformatted text
code:
code text
All of those get rendered as variable-width text for me in the app at present

I think the same holds for yosposting too, where the posts are already rendered in a fixed-width font and the [fixed ] tag, which used to change that to a different fixed-width font, now instead displays in variable-width[/fixed] e2: ignore this paragraph, yosposts actually still do the correct "different fixed-width font" thing for the [fixed ] tag in my current TestFlight Awful app

e: have some demonstration by screenshot

Raw source post view:

TestFlight app's rendering in the thread:

More correct rendering on the website:

Grace Baiting fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Jan 12, 2024

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I did it!!! I worked it out. flawless idea

a while ago I raised searching thread titles and there were some good reasons why that was more challenging than I imagined

but what about this : highlighting a string

huh??

huh??

no other functionality needs to change, just whatever string you’ve typed gets highlighted. that’s it. just means I can type “sixty nine” and scroll down the thread list and it’ll stand out to me when and where it comes up.

of course nothing is ever that simple but I think this could be a winner. in threads too maybe.

anyway, love this god forsaken app 🫵

Fuckstick
Nov 30, 2000

Anyone else having a problem long pressing to add an image but getting the “[url=][/url]” instead of the prompt to choose an image? Latest update on an up to date iPhone 12.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Fuckstick posted:

Anyone else having a problem long pressing to add an image but getting the “[url=][/url]” instead of the prompt to choose an image? Latest update on an up to date iPhone 12.

See the thread title.

You’ll need to use the shortcut now.

Fuckstick
Nov 30, 2000

MarcusSA posted:

See the thread title.

You’ll need to use the shortcut now.

I clicked into this thread from the app, so I didn’t see the thread title til now. Also, that blows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Fuckstick posted:

I clicked into this thread from the app, so I didn’t see the thread title til now. Also, that blows.

Yeah but imo the shortcut is better overall especially since it doesn’t matter if it’s a Live Photo or HEIC it converts it to jpg.