Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jesus III
May 23, 2007

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

South Africa even responded directly:

These are the guys I'd want calling out apartheid. SA ended their apartheid; they're literally the experts here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Speaking of housing policy not looking like it will be fixed at the local level anytime soon... the Democratic Governor of Maryland has apparently appointed someone to head the housing department who thinks that building more houses has no impact on housing affordability.

https://twitter.com/janelyonsraeder/status/1745474413061980475
https://twitter.com/JHWeissmann/status/1745484195407798378

https://twitter.com/jbarro/status/1745532627027673173

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Jan 11, 2024

selec
Sep 6, 2003

Speaking of housing policy not looking like it will be fixed at the local level anytime soon... the Democratic Governor of Maryland has apparently appointed someone to head the housing department who thinks that building more houses has no impact on housing affordability.

https://twitter.com/janelyonsraeder/status/1745474413061980475
https://twitter.com/JHWeissmann/status/1745484195407798378

https://twitter.com/jbarro/status/1745532627027673173

I do not trust Josh Barro to be able to tie his own shoes much less accurately decide who is or or isn’t a moron. It looks like the guy is saying you need to build more housing AND that you need to point some of that build at specific lower end price points for it to be effective. Is that not true? You can’t build all condos and expect that to fix a crisis for people who can’t afford condos, right?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

selec posted:

I do not trust Josh Barro to be able to tie his own shoes much less accurately decide who is or or isn’t a moron. It looks like the guy is saying you need to build more housing AND that you need to point some of that build at specific lower end price points for it to be effective. Is that not true? You can’t build all condos and expect that to fix a crisis for people who can’t afford condos, right?

Condos are generally cheaper than houses.

He's basically arguing the same thing that a lot of liberal homeowners who oppose new housing in their neighborhood do.

"We need more affordable housing, but not here. Also, zoning changes, eliminating parking lot mandates, allowing smaller houses, and allowing multi-family houses would help, but we aren't going to do them because they don't completely solve the problem."

Which basically always results in nothing getting done.

https://twitter.com/LizBrentMd/status/1745469894613754150

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Giggle Goose posted:

As a fellow Pittsburgher, I've gotta say our housing prices make no sense. I rent a whole house for half the price my former Californian coworkers paid for studios. I know people in WV who pay more than I do.

It's Rust Belt. A friend of a friend from Denver bought a house in suburban Cleveland for two hundred fifty thousand dollars in 2021. A similar house and lot in Denver probably would have sold for over a million dollars.

At the beginning of the oil and coal boom in 2008, I was looking for a place to live when I was attending community college. My mom was helping me find a place and got in touch with a friend at a real estate agency. Almost nothing was available, and the cheapest option that was available was a basement for one thousand dollars per month. in a town of about ten thousand people and the oil fields were a three-hour drive away that could only be accessed by going around the Wind River Mountains. It was a similar situation in Casper and even worse in Gillette where the coal mines were. A lot of people who were put out of work from Michigan by the recession poured into Wyoming, Montana, and North Dakota during the boom. And I believe 2009 or 2010 is when the population of Denver started to surge; Salt Lake's growth was a little before. It wouldn't surprise me if it's the same boom/bust cycle kind of thinking in West Virginia.

I pay seven hundred fifty dollars per month for a cramped two-bedroom duplex in southern Pittsburgh. When I moved here in 2021, my rent for a one bedroom apartment in Brentwood was six hundred fifty, increased to six hundred ninety, and would have increased to seven hundred ten had I renewed for a third year. You bet your rear end I gloated about it to my friends in Denver. A place like mine would rent for over double that in Denver. The coal boom is long gone in Wyoming, but my sister was paying nine hundred fifty dollars per month her first year in Gillette for a two-bedroom apartment. The numbers never come down, but if they do it's not by much.

But that's how I've rationalized it. The hip parts of Pittsburgh are expensive only relative to the rest of the city, but are still cheaper than places like Denver and Salt Lake. It's in the Rust Belt and the eastern fringes of the Midwest (I don't think you can really say you're on the East Coast if you live west of the Appalachians). Even Chicago seems somewhat affordable compared to Denver. There was a little bit of growth even in Wyoming during and right after the pandemic in what High Country News calls the Zoom Boom. There was an unexpected surge in property tax revenue in my home county because of an influx of people moving to Lander (and gently caress Lander) to telecommute, which keeps getting more expensive to live in compared to the neighboring and larger community year after year.

It's a mess. I don't have the answers, but when some town of only several thousand people experiences a spike in the cost of living and a sudden influx of new residents, it's probably because it's a boom town.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

GlyphGryph posted:

Are they actually concentrated, or were things just so much better historically in those other places, that even them getting significantly worse makes them an appealing option by comparison? I was under the impression (after doing a lot of reading and looking myself before I bought last year) the housing shortage and massive price hikes were pretty much country-wide, with the only places bucking the trend were places that were actively in the process of dying (and even then, most of the houses you could get for cheap weren't livable). Even buying a house and some land in like bumfuck dakota had prices the result of some absolutely staggering inflation when I last looked.

housing prices in my corner of BFE south carolina have tripled in the past 15 years even though we're one of the counties that has shown net population loss over that period

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

selec posted:

Northern Virginia residents have been very vocal proponents for "missing middle" policies to allow the development of denser housing but they are also extremely ignorant of how much housing is required to event begin to put a dent in prices for the area. I keep an eye on NoVA subreddit and it's not uncommon to see people confused that rent drops are predicted to be negligible with the new housing projections.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Tiny Timbs posted:

Northern Virginia residents have been very vocal proponents for "missing middle" policies to allow the development of denser housing but they are also extremely ignorant of how much housing is required to event begin to put a dent in prices for the area. I keep an eye on NoVA subreddit and it's not uncommon to see people confused that rent drops are predicted to be negligible with the new housing projections.

Right.

When you have a housing deficit of 800,000 units and you rule out every option to increase the housing supply except for 2,000 high-end units and 500 affordable subsidized units, then you are going to make 0 impact.

And when you keep delaying and dragging your feet, the deficit gets larger and you need more units faster to make any impact. Which then reverses back onto itself when people say, "We built 1,000 units over the last two years and it barely made any difference! New housing doesn't really impact prices."

We putzed around or did actively bad things for housing supply and affordability for 40 years and it is catching up to us. Making baby steps and dragging feet for another decade is just going to make it worse.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Tiny Timbs posted:

The idea that we can't build our way out of a housing issue just boggles the mind. We aren't building enough housing to meet demand and having a variety of housing types help people. Condos, apartments, single family homes, whatever we need more of it. Generally, we need more dense housing.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Tiny Timbs posted:

Yeah the big challenge is, basically it comes down to a bunch of local governments having to have coordinated action- winning one zoning board isn't enough, it has to be done statewide, and honestly nationwide to really make a dent. That's in addition to needing to find the capital to build it from somewhere.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Panzeh posted:

Yeah the big challenge is, basically it comes down to a bunch of local governments having to have coordinated action- winning one zoning board isn't enough, it has to be done statewide, and honestly nationwide to really make a dent. That's in addition to needing to find the capital to build it from somewhere.

Also, we probably as a nation need better design when it comes to houses/new housing and disincentivize McMansion/using 20 acres to build 7 houses poo poo.

But we have a thread for all this.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Salt Lake is an expensive city? Would have not thought that.

Are there any cities left that would be considered "undervalued"? Nashville has exploded in the last couple years, Denver, etc etc. When I lived near Philly years ago, it seemed surprisingly cheap compared to the rest of the I95 corridor but I think prices are rising there too now. From the link Trotsky posted, affordable cities are limited to the Rust Belt and some places in the South

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Mooseontheloose posted:

Hey my policy degree has some use here!

Very brief, not a lot of details some things to understand about where we are with the history of housing:

1. Yes, the New Deal has set a lot of our housing policy to where we are now. To encourage home buying and reinvestment into communities ( meaning more spending on construction, boosting the economy, ect) the New Deal backed housing loans. They also labelled districts based on certain colors on what was good to invest in and what wasn't. Communities that has as many as one black person where labelled in red. hence redlining.
2. The building of the highway system now allowed for housing outside of the city footprints, which means at least on the east former farming communities became exurban or bedroom communities.
3. In turn, these communities started using zoning laws to create de-facto redlining. Think, 1 acre + zoning, density restrictions, ect.
4. Also, developers were trying to knock down historically black communities in cities like Boston and New York, so to prevent developers from bulldozing neighborhoods, cities relied on permitting and development authorities to keep these communities preserved.
5. So now we are left in a space where the suburbs won't build dense housing and cities slow down the building of housing (for noble reasons but...)
6. The 90s housing market starts to pick up again and formerly black/spanish speaking communities are now desirable.
7. People buy those affordable houses/properties but now fight city development even harder.
8. Rural communities have no ammenities, so people are moving back to more populated areas (at least until COVID) and pay doesn't go up.
9. Now.

I would greatly appreciate it if you would consider launching another policy thread.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Are there any cities left that would be considered "undervalued"? Nashville has exploded in the last couple years, Denver, etc etc. When I lived near Philly years ago, it seemed surprisingly cheap compared to the rest of the I95 corridor but I think prices are rising there too now. From the link Trotsky posted, affordable cities are limited to the Rust Belt and some places in the South

There's a subset of mid-sized cities that are "undervalued" in terms of housing. Assuming we are excluding places that are just "cheap."

- Detroit
- Pittsburgh
- Philadelphia
- Louisville
- Lexington
- Kansas City
- Omaha
- Baltimore
- Augusta, Georgia
- Indianapolis
- Minneapolis
- Las Vegas
- St. Louis
- Wilmington, Delaware
- Virginia Beach
- Little Rock
- Raleigh
- Oklahoma City
- Grand Rapids, Michigan
- Des Moines
- Boise
- Milwaukee
- Springfield, Illinois
- Buffalo
- Memphis
- Cleveland
- Mesa
- Henderson, Nevada
- Columbus, Ohio
- Fayetteville, North Carolina

There's probably lots of reasons you may or may not want to live in those places, but according to the analysis from wallethub, those are the large/mid-sized cities that are relatively undervalued for housing.

Chicago is the major metro area that is the most undervalued in terms of housing.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Jan 11, 2024

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Salt Lake City is home to a lot of tech companies that got established in the seventies and eighties. Lehi's nickname is Silicon Slopes because of the tech boom.

The assumption made by seeing Utah red on the presidential electoral map and its history with Mormons always catches people completely off guard about what goes on in Salt Lake.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

GlyphGryph posted:

Isn't Pittsburgh and the surrounding area one of the few places in the country that has done well on the housing front, pretty much exclusively because they adopted policies a couple decades back to promote new housing construction? Or am I confusing that for somewhere else, I remember reading a pretty long article about it...

Pittsburgh is relatively affordable because it still has about half the population it did in 1950, with all of the attendant relatively available real estate. And unlike some of the other rust belt cities, it has a reputation for being a tech and medical hub so continues to "rejuvenate" or whatever.

Looking at affordability of housing there constantly makes me angry that work took me away from there. It's a great city.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

There's a subset of mid-sized cities that are "undervalued" in terms of housing. Assuming we are excluding places that are just "cheap."

- Detroit
- Pittsburgh
- Philadelphia
- Louisville
- Lexington
- Kansas City
- Omaha
- Baltimore
- Augusta, Georgia
- Indianapolis
- Minneapolis
- Las Vegas
- St. Louis
- Wilmington, Delaware
- Virginia Beach
- Little Rock
- Raleigh
- Oklahoma City
- Grand Rapids, Michigan
- Des Moines
- Boise
- Milwaukee
- Springfield, Illinois
- Buffalo
- Memphis
- Cleveland
- Mesa
- Henderson, Nevada
- Columbus, Ohio

There's probably lots of reasons you may or may not want to live in those places, but according to the analysis from wallethub, those are the large/mid-sized cities that are relatively undervalued for housing.

Chicago is the major metro area that is the most undervalued in terms of housing.

For what it's worth, Zillow predicts that Buffalo will be the "hottest housing market" of 2024.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/personalfinance/real-estate/2024/01/05/zillow-hottest-housing-markets-2024/72119594007/

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Philly is nice, it should become more of a commuter town for NYC

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
How a phone call with my sister went in 2016:

Sister: "You should get out of Denver move to Reno. It's cheaper than Denver and there's a lot of jobs. A lot of people are coming here from California."
Me: "lol you're next."

I live in constant fear that I'm going to see swarms of cars with Colorado and Nevada license plates in Pittsburgh one day. When I do, that's when I know we're doomed.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Economically, Nevada is rapidly turning into Washington state but with a desert. Speaking as a resident of Las Vegas, there's still a lot of problems with the health care and education infrastructure in a tourist town, to name two significant problems, but we got in while the value was still good. The aggressive development of sports in the area alone says a lot to me.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Failed Imagineer posted:

Philly is nice, it should become more of a commuter town for NYC

Actually a lot of nyc and Jersey and more northern states are moving to PA because the climate is pretty decent and also better affordability with housing. Also it’s helped outgrow the chuds in the votes.

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

GlyphGryph posted:

Isn't Pittsburgh and the surrounding area one of the few places in the country that has done well on the housing front, pretty much exclusively because they adopted policies a couple decades back to promote new housing construction? Or am I confusing that for somewhere else, I remember reading a pretty long article about it...

Twin Cities has been kicking rear end on housing and had some nation-wide news articles on it recently, such as https://finance.yahoo.com/news/only-one-american-city-fought-210119140.html and https://www.bloomberg.com/news/features/2023-08-09/minneapolis-controls-us-inflation-with-affordable-housing-renting. Year to year rent increases in Minneapolis has been mostly under 3% since 2002 as well!

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Kalit posted:

Twin Cities has been kicking rear end on housing and had some nation-wide news articles on it recently, such as https://finance.yahoo.com/news/only-one-american-city-fought-210119140.html and https://www.bloomberg.com/news/features/2023-08-09/minneapolis-controls-us-inflation-with-affordable-housing-renting. Year to year rent increases in Minneapolis has been mostly under 3% since 2002 as well!

I think this may actually have been what I was thinking of, thank you!

Mentally I do not know the difference between any of these cities (I know it wasn't Houston because I can mentally differentiate that one, but Philly, Pittsburgh, Minneapolis, those all just get thrown in the "generic city" bucket in my mind)

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Mustang posted:

I spent a good chunk of my life in central Florida suburbs and I would not wish that suburban blight on anyone. Just cookie cutter houses, apartments, and strip malls as far as the eye can see.

You couldn't pay me enough to live somewhere like that again. Complete cultural wasteland.

I could not tell you what it is but something about Florida suburbs specifically have a different, much worse vibe than other suburbs. They meet every negative stereotype about suburbs and then some, as far as I can see, and are vastly worse in terms of vibes than even the second-worst suburb I've ever experienced (St Charles, MO for those curious)

E; A good friend of mine is looking at moving from rural Montana (But I repeat myself :v: ) to MSP or a nearby town later this year, the move itself is prompted by her having a fairly specific educational goal in mind and not so many places teach it, but MSP is apparently the most affordable option in housing terms by some margin.

Ms Adequate fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Jan 11, 2024

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Jake Day is a nepo baby who tried to do good stuff in the shittiest part of Maryland. So he's like, a good version of a nepo baby? He's not wrong about Maryland housing though. Maryland is building well less than 50% of the housing it needs for just new residents coming to the state each year. Most companies just want to build fancy housing that is expensive as poo poo with what they do build. Even at peak 2005 levels of construction, they wouldn't be building enough properties to keep housing prices from going up.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Name Change posted:

Economically, Nevada is rapidly turning into Washington state but with a desert. Speaking as a resident of Las Vegas, there's still a lot of problems with the health care and education infrastructure in a tourist town, to name two significant problems, but we got in while the value was still good. The aggressive development of sports in the area alone says a lot to me.

Washington state has a desert!

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”

Wayne Knight posted:

Washington state has a desert!

Was going to mention this but you beat me to it. Impressive geographic diversity for not being a particularly large state. Granted the overwhelming majority of people live here on the lush side of the mountains.

volts5000
Apr 7, 2009

It's electric. Boogie woogie woogie.

- Detroit
- Pittsburgh
- Philadelphia
- Louisville
- Lexington
- Kansas City
- Omaha
- Baltimore
- Augusta, Georgia
- Indianapolis
- Minneapolis
- Las Vegas
- St. Louis
- Wilmington, Delaware
- Virginia Beach
- Little Rock
- Raleigh
- Oklahoma City
- Grand Rapids, Michigan
- Des Moines
- Boise
- Milwaukee
- Springfield, Illinois
- Buffalo
- Memphis
- Cleveland
- Mesa
- Henderson, Nevada
- Columbus, Ohio

Raleigh undervalued? Jesus Christ. Just living in the beltline means you can tack on 15% to the asking price. There was one house that went for 260K last year and it got swarmed with potential buyers. Nothing here is under 300K. Is the housing market in other cities THAT jacked up?

A North Carolina house was swarmed with interested shoppers just hours after hitting the market for $260,000

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

volts5000 posted:

Raleigh undervalued? Jesus Christ. Just living in the beltline means you can tack on 15% to the asking price. There was one house that went for 260K last year and it got swarmed with potential buyers. Nothing here is under 300K. Is the housing market in other cities THAT jacked up?

A North Carolina house was swarmed with interested shoppers just hours after hitting the market for $260,000

Well, the median price in the US is 426k, so...yes?

E: it's a 3bed, 3 bath, 1485 Sq ft house. I have no idea what the area is like, but yeah that seems insanely cheap to me.

Ravenfood fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Jan 11, 2024

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

volts5000 posted:

$260k is very cheap.

The median house in the U.S. sells for about $387k as of November 2023. So, things that are selling for a little above $300k are selling for cheaper than a majority of houses in the U.S.

https://www.bankrate.com/real-estate/median-home-price/

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Mustang posted:

Was going to mention this but you beat me to it. Impressive geographic diversity for not being a particularly large state. Granted the overwhelming majority of people live here on the lush side of the mountains.

The east side of the state may as well be Idaho

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Spokane: As Seen on COPS.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.
The city of Spokane proper is less chuddy than most places, but outside of town, and especially to the north and east... hoo boy.

PT6A posted:

Spokane: As Seen on COPS.
The former chud sheriff loved it as a recruiting tool. He got really mad when the county decided to no longer allow COPS to film with them.

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."

Fox is editorializing. They are saying that the slaying of white farmers is happening and that Fetterman criticized South Africa about apartheid. He doesn't say it is about white farmers.

He specifically mentions apartheid and "historical injustices" when he says they shouldn't throw stones because of their glass house.

He should hire you for his spin, his own response was just to be wildly racist in a slightly different direction.

https://twitter.com/_RichardHall/status/1745532415785791866

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
So many of the absolute worst right-wingers currently living in the West are imported from California.

sexy tiger boobs
Aug 23, 2002

Up shit creek with a turd for a paddle.

Madkal posted:

It's kind of sad that the only thing people know about South Africa right now is that they used to practice Apartheid and now they are accusing Israel of genocide at the ICC. Like no-one has any clue what is going on in the country or what their opinions are about global conflicts beyond these two points. It's like the concept of South Africa sprung forth from these two points and there is nothing more to the country.

They also gave the world Musk. A heinous crime.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

DynamicSloth posted:

He should hire you for his spin, his own response was just to be wildly racist in a slightly different direction.

https://twitter.com/_RichardHall/status/1745532415785791866

gently caress, what an ignorant piece of poo poo, and too much of a coward to even own his stupid Zionist talking point

CellBlock
Oct 6, 2005

It just don't stop.

Fetterman really does represent his particular constituency very well. Southwestern PA is basically conservative, but with enough union members who vote Democratic because of labor endorsements despite being pretty racist.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Ravenfood posted:

Pittsburgh is relatively affordable because it still has about half the population it did in 1950, with all of the attendant relatively available real estate. And unlike some of the other rust belt cities, it has a reputation for being a tech and medical hub so continues to "rejuvenate" or whatever.

Looking at affordability of housing there constantly makes me angry that work took me away from there. It's a great city.

Philly also is one of the few major US cities that allows new row house construction, and that goes a long way towards increasing supply compared to everywhere else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs
Dems now have their own version of Tuberville