Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Revanchism doesn't need a geopolitical, economic, or strategic reason. It just involves the big boss looking at a map which has something they think is theirs not under their control. Just look at Putin's motivations in Ukraine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle
I'd always thought that the leadership viewed any potential giving in to Taiwan's (potential) claims of sovereignty as a slippery slope that would inevitably lead to the loss of all disputed territories, and if you lose Tibet then it's game over.
https://harvardpolitics.com/china-water-policy/

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

yaffle posted:

I'd always thought that the leadership viewed any potential giving in to Taiwan's (potential) claims of sovereignty as a slippery slope that would inevitably lead to the loss of all disputed territories, and if you lose Tibet then it's game over.
https://harvardpolitics.com/china-water-policy/

This is ascribing a bit more rationality to it than is warranted

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

iirc taiwan would be a tremendous naval asset. the PLA Navy is pretty boxed in as it is between korea, japan, and the phillipines. and while the days of the navy being one of the biggest tools in the "diplomacy" toolbox are behind us, it's still a big fuckin deal to be able to do the international relations equivalent of brandishing

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Honestly Taiwan would be smart to just stay mum and wait for a chance when the CCP is experiencing historic weakness in the form of some kind of massive government overhaul or upending completely.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

nah i'd be surprised if taiwan ever declares independence. the PRC is (it seems to me, a layperson and dumbass) the only one with potential motivations to break the status quo. from taiwan's perspective they can keep on trucking forever like this

Porfiriato
Jan 4, 2016

Tencent Limits Minors to 16 Hours Gaming During Spring Festival Break

quote:

From Jan. 22 to Feb. 24, which includes the eight days of this year’s Spring Festival, users under 18 years old are only permitted to log into Tencent video games between 8 p.m. to 9 p.m. every Friday, Saturday, Sunday, and the public holidays, and play for a total of 16 hours, the company announced on Tuesday.

This amounts to an average of one hour of gaming time on each of the 16 gaming days allowed during this period.

lol

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Cactus Ghost posted:

nah i'd be surprised if taiwan ever declares independence. the PRC is (it seems to me, a layperson and dumbass) the only one with potential motivations to break the status quo. from taiwan's perspective they can keep on trucking forever like this

One China policy... but which is the "One" true China??? :clint: We might never tell you....~~~

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Toxic Mental posted:

One China policy... but which is the "One" true China??? :clint: We might never tell you....~~~

that is the explicit point of the 1 china policy. designed and imagined in exactly that way. thats not a joke about the policy so much as it is a restatement with an emoticon

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

It's actually kind of genius

"There's one China here, and one China here, 12 monkeys over here, 12 monkeys over there"

Jan 11, 2024

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
That’s per day, right? :fishmech:

Jan 11, 2024
per second

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Shumagorath posted:

That’s per day, right? :fishmech:

Yeah it’s frankly ridiculous

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Big rear end On Fire posted:

CCP is in a tough spot. As attitudes shift away from we are part of China to we are Taiwan they increasingly only have a violence option. Their best possible bet today is to woo the people and the government to somehow want to become China. Maybe that's laughable today. Any violent outcomes are pretty grim to imagine.

True. However, it's fundamentally against the nature of totalitarian states to "woo" anyone. It's simply not a tool in their playbook.

It's either violence, coercion, or other threats.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Toxic Mental posted:

Honestly Taiwan would be smart to just stay mum and wait for a chance when the CCP is experiencing historic weakness in the form of some kind of massive government overhaul or upending completely.

The day Xi dies.

Amergin
Jan 29, 2013

THE SOUND A WET FART MAKES
My in-laws officially are on the run due to crackdowns on banks and real estate deals.

On the one hand, I love to see an anti-corruption campaign. And the deals they made were indeed corrupt (though due to top-down pressure from heads of banks, mostly).

On the other hand, people getting sentenced to 13+ years in prison and being tortured while in detention because they're incompetent more than corrupt, is a little... rough.

Also stressful trying to encourage people to apply for asylum when they're too proud and stubborn to realize that asylum is their only option. And trying to keep up with new disposable phones for communications and teach people how to use literally anything but WeChat to communicate.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
absurd personal problem comedy value in this thread, man

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

On the run from the CCP and using WeChat to communicate is a lol.

Amergin
Jan 29, 2013

McGavin posted:

On the run from the CCP and using WeChat to communicate is a lol.

Man getting a new phone with an Australian SIM card and the first thing you do is download WeChat is just... :psyduck:

EDIT: I told them to download and use Signal as that's what we use for organizing protests and direct actions and they were like, "That sounds like overkill don'tcha think?"

Big Ass On Fire
Jun 16, 2023

Maybe the reliance on a big government, this acceptance of centralized power into their lives as a good or accepted thing is so ingrained in folks when the worm turns on them they don't see how pervasive of a threat it is. Or people are just idiots.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
Watching this whole property collapse thing is wild to see play out. While not a fan of the government, I thought that they would of had their finger on the pulse a lot better than this in regards to letting banks writing blank cheques for real estate companies and mortgages. Considering 2008 happened, this really is dumb what the government has let happen.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I think it's just that it's WeChat. It's hard to fathom how central WeChat is to everything in China, and that was when I lived there. I'm sure it's gotten even worse.

There's been ongoing drama for years about whether banning people from WeChat should be allowed because it's pretty much the worst punishment possible other than being sent to a gulag. If you can't use WeChat you're basically unable to access public life.

bad_fmr
Nov 28, 2007

WeChat X - the everything app!

Amergin
Jan 29, 2013

Grand Fromage posted:

I think it's just that it's WeChat. It's hard to fathom how central WeChat is to everything in China, and that was when I lived there. I'm sure it's gotten even worse.

There's been ongoing drama for years about whether banning people from WeChat should be allowed because it's pretty much the worst punishment possible other than being sent to a gulag. If you can't use WeChat you're basically unable to access public life.

Increasingly private life, too. Last time I was there last summer, if you didn't use WeChat to pay for things and wanted to, say, pay with cash, people would look at you like you asked them to fly to the moon. Of course most of them took cash as a policy, but the cashiers would beg and plead and sometimes outright lie about only taking WeChat or Alipay to avoid taking cash.

Which, considering how cash-based food alone was like 5-10 years ago, it's like a whole nother planet now. And my wife and I were chatting about how, if you're an elderly person (especially a rural elderly person), if you went to the city and didn't have a smart phone or didn't know how WeChat pay worked you'd be SOL.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

bad_fmr posted:

WeChat X - the everything app!

Now with streamlined MyCrimes.txt functionality!

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

but i dont wanna be a spaceship
Fun Shoe

Amergin posted:

Man getting a new phone with an Australian SIM card and the first thing you do is download WeChat is just... :psyduck:

EDIT: I told them to download and use Signal as that's what we use for organizing protests and direct actions and they were like, "That sounds like overkill don'tcha think?"

ouch. whelp.

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯

bad_fmr posted:

WeChat Xi - the everything app!

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.
In a related topic, some of the latest iPhone tech news was that Chinese censors have announced that they've broken the AirDrop encryption protocols and are predictably using that to crack down on folks using AirDrop to distribute political messages in urban areas.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
You're confused, this is how free speech works.

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

So how does the universality of WeChat work with tourists? Can you get it and set it to draw from a foreign credit card? Is going to China committing to give Tencent direct access to your bank account? Does it need some kind of registration with the government and short term visitors get stuck patronizing only little tourist areas where they still condescendingly accept cash for their inflated prices?

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Tai posted:

You're confused, this is how free speech works.

The authors of the tech articles I was reading had to do an awkward dance around the concept that the Chinese government refers to this as "responding to inappropriate messages", as if they're dealing with teenage dick pics, but what they actually mean is "cracking down on people who are less than glowing about the CCP, or use verboten words like Taiwan or Tibet".

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

Hows the campaign against clothing that hurts national feelings going

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
lol what?

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

its going well, ty

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Akratic Method posted:

So how does the universality of WeChat work with tourists? Can you get it and set it to draw from a foreign credit card? Is going to China committing to give Tencent direct access to your bank account? Does it need some kind of registration with the government and short term visitors get stuck patronizing only little tourist areas where they still condescendingly accept cash for their inflated prices?

You can't use WeChat pay with a foreign bank/credit card, no. I've heard Alipay takes some foreign credit cards, but yeah being a tourist now sounds like an enormous pain in the rear end. One of the many reasons I hate phone pay stuff. At least I don't know any other countries that have gone as extreme as China, but Korea and Japan both have their own phone pay systems that you can't access unless you're a resident and if that keeps expanding then ??

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Yeah Japanese apps usually require a JP phone number for verification.
LINE is more flexible but tbh nobody uses LINE pay.

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

Grand Fromage posted:

You can't use WeChat pay with a foreign bank/credit card, no. I've heard Alipay takes some foreign credit cards, but yeah being a tourist now sounds like an enormous pain in the rear end. One of the many reasons I hate phone pay stuff.

Sounds like their campaign to bring tourism back is gonna go great, then. Thank god a visa is easier to get.

e: I guess the government wouldn't really hate it if tourists only ever came in the form of closely managed tour groups within all-inclusive enclaves.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
Sounds familiar

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

peanut posted:

Yeah Japanese apps usually require a JP phone number for verification.
LINE is more flexible but tbh nobody uses LINE pay.

At least I can't see Japan refusing cash any time soon since they just recently got around to credit cards.