Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

poo poo Fuckasaurus posted:

This is emblematic of why I'm leaving IT, and it pisses me off to no end that I bet on the wrong horse in loving high school and it's costing me an entire career twenty years later. gently caress.

Most other careers have just as much alienation and pay much worse, work will never make you happy and should not be expected to

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Woolie Wool posted:

Most other careers have just as much alienation and pay much worse, work will never make you happy and should not be expected to

Work will never make you happy but some jobs contribute to your misery more than others.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

deep dish peat moss posted:

The best thing about Spotify is still that band that released an album of nothing but silence so their fans could stream it 24/7 to get them paid

Lmao

dreezy
Mar 4, 2015

yeah, rip.

wash bucket posted:

Work will never make you happy but some jobs contribute to your misery more than others.

work a job that contributes to others misery more than your own

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

dreezy posted:

work a job that contributes to others misery more than your own

Become a cop!

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

poo poo Fuckasaurus posted:

This is emblematic of why I'm leaving IT, and it pisses me off to no end that I bet on the wrong horse in loving high school and it's costing me an entire career twenty years later. gently caress.

Why's it the wrong horse?

I too bet on this horse and I'm not exactly happy with the results either.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
There's your problem, who ever heard of horses in IT?

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
Meanwhile, the crafty OS/2 guru patiently bides his time...

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

I made the mistake of connecting my TV to wifi when I got it because I wanted to watch netflix on it instead of using a proper device. Since the last update it now pops up with a huge box on the screen every 5 minutes saying that the wifi connection dropped (I have no idea why, no other devices have a problem). If I turn off wifi by telling it to forget the connection, I get a box popping up every 5 minutes telling me I need to connect it to wifi to receive important updates.

It is two months out of warranty. Gonna try a factory reset and hopefully it'll revert to the original firmware, otherwise I guess I need to buy a new TV (and will do my usual trick of selling electronics that are perfectly functional for a few minutes before becoming unusable to CeX)

Elephunk
Dec 6, 2007

TotalLossBrain posted:

I use YouTube music until Google eventually turns it off.

I just got notified that Google podcasts is going away. Functionality will be integrated into YouTube music.

When Google Play Music turned into YouTube music it was a very sad day. My uploaded library of mp3s with zero subscription fee was awesome.

YT Music still does the "upload your own file" thing but it's ad-bloated and much worse now. It's intentionally hard to search your uploaded library, etc.

roffles
Dec 25, 2004

Quote-Unquote posted:

I made the mistake of connecting my TV to wifi when I got it because I wanted to watch netflix on it instead of using a proper device. Since the last update it now pops up with a huge box on the screen every 5 minutes saying that the wifi connection dropped (I have no idea why, no other devices have a problem). If I turn off wifi by telling it to forget the connection, I get a box popping up every 5 minutes telling me I need to connect it to wifi to receive important updates.

It is two months out of warranty. Gonna try a factory reset and hopefully it'll revert to the original firmware, otherwise I guess I need to buy a new TV (and will do my usual trick of selling electronics that are perfectly functional for a few minutes before becoming unusable to CeX)

roku sticks are like $30 if you have a free HDMI port.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Quote-Unquote posted:

My parents got SmartTVs and they're barely computer literate so they struggle with basics like switching inputs or sometimes just turning the thing on. I hate watching TV when I visit them because if I use it and then my dad can't figure out how to turn it on or something I get yelled at for breaking the TV because my dad is a huge immature baby.

Then again, not too long ago they got a brand new TV for the bedroom I was staying in over Thanksgiving and after I used it once it never turned on again and it was in fact broken. It was one of those giant Samsung SmartTVs.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

roffles posted:

roku sticks are like $30 if you have a free HDMI port.

Sorry, to clarify, I no longer use any of the absolutely atrocious apps on the TV but it still nags me with messages about how it needs to be connected to wifi/is having trouble connecting to wifi. I have like 8 free HDMI ports but that won't stop the nagging.

Mulaney Power Move posted:

My parents got SmartTVs and they're barely computer literate so they struggle with basics like switching inputs or sometimes just turning the thing on. I hate watching TV when I visit them because if I use it and then my dad can't figure out how to turn it on or something I get yelled at for breaking the TV because my dad is a huge immature baby.

Then again, not too long ago they got a brand new TV for the bedroom I was staying in over Thanksgiving and after I used it once it never turned on again and it was in fact broken. It was one of those giant Samsung SmartTVs.

My dad knew just enough to stretch every single thing to fullscreen regardless of the intended aspect ratio. He passed away a couple of years ago, and one night when I stayed with my mum I was watching something and turned off the stretching. She hasn't noticed so far (she calls me about everything technical she doesn't understand, so I know she would've called me if she thought something was wrong with the TV). I loved my dad and miss him immensely, but it drove me nuts watching anything that wasn't 16:9. Dude didn't like the black bars, even though it made everything weirdly fat/thin depending on how it was being stretched.

Thankfully I managed to turn off frame smoothing on their TV before he ever knew what it was.

Quote-Unquote fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Jan 11, 2024

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

skooma512 posted:

Why's it the wrong horse?

I too bet on this horse and I'm not exactly happy with the results either.

windows home edition?

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
From last page, but fully self driving cars are never, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever going to happen, ever

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

fully self driving cars are never, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever going to happen, ever

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

I had a fail moment with my blu ray player the other night. See I haven't used it in years because physical media is now archaic, but the Internet was out for like a good 12 hours so I thought I'd watch a DVD. Couldn't find the remote, so I thought well I will just put it in and press play. Nope. Needed to set the language because it was unplugged. Impossible without a remote.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

I do hate how everything needs its own special remote and none others will do. The TV's remote won't do for navigating menus on the fire stick, the fire stick cannot change source (to the competition), the DVD player won't accept input from the other two. The TV's remote has 50 buttons you'll never use. If you have a sound bar, that's another remote.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
What if we did self driving cars but they have their own lane?

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Quote-Unquote posted:

Contact the company and say it’s been acting up for months but you’ve been dealing with other stuff and didn’t realize the warranty was up that soon. I’ve gotten around things this way.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Big Bowie Bonanza posted:

That's called an auto salvage yard, I've been to one of those

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Something that got way shittier for no good reason: The A.V Club. Once a wonderful place to get all the proper opinions about stuff that you could then parrot in a social situation, once full of amazing writing talent, now it's just a shell. Greed and stupidity are reasons why things happen, just not good reasons. I've actually got kind of upset writing this post, I used to love that drat website

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

Big Bowie Bonanza posted:

Can the lanes go underground and intersect at high traffic urban areas? Can we connect all the cars together? This idea has promise.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Something that got way shittier for no good reason: The A.V Club. Once a wonderful place to get all the proper opinions about stuff that you could then parrot in a social situation, once full of amazing writing talent, now it's just a shell. Greed and stupidity are reasons why things happen, just not good reasons. I've actually got kind of upset writing this post, I used to love that drat website

It was my homepage for about a decade. gently caress I miss it.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Professor Shark posted:

Contact the company and say it’s been acting up for months but you’ve been dealing with other stuff and didn’t realize the warranty was up that soon. I’ve gotten around things this way.

Good news! The factory reset seems to have worked. I skipped the 'connect to wifi' part of the setup and now it is usable again. Hooray!

I did a bit of googling about warranties while I was doing this. Apparently in the EU there is a minimum 2 year policy of 'something goes wrong, manufacturer must fix or replace'. This no longer applies to the UK because the country decided to get shittier for no good reason, but we do have something on the books that says we have 6 months minimum, but also you can claim up to 6 years later if you can prove that it was faulty within the first six months. I have no idea how you would do this, so it seems like an extremely stupid law.

I guess you could film something not working properly and then wait 5 years to send it back, but why?

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

Quote-Unquote posted:

Sorry, to clarify, I no longer use any of the absolutely atrocious apps on the TV but it still nags me with messages about how it needs to be connected to wifi/is having trouble connecting to wifi. I have like 8 free HDMI ports but that won't stop the nagging.

My dad knew just enough to stretch every single thing to fullscreen regardless of the intended aspect ratio. He passed away a couple of years ago, and one night when I stayed with my mum I was watching something and turned off the stretching. She hasn't noticed so far (she calls me about everything technical she doesn't understand, so I know she would've called me if she thought something was wrong with the TV). I loved my dad and miss him immensely, but it drove me nuts watching anything that wasn't 16:9. Dude didn't like the black bars, even though it made everything weirdly fat/thin depending on how it was being stretched.

Thankfully I managed to turn off frame smoothing on their TV before he ever knew what it was.

My dad somehow managed to set the TV to zoom, while at one point managing to set the cable box to stretch the content. One of the times I came up to visit, he was basically cutting off most of the picture. He couldn't see scores or anything.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Quote-Unquote posted:

My dad also does this with this giant 20 year old TV he still has. Doesn't even have an HDMI input. When we watch football, the scores will be cut off depending on the channel and you'll miss anything that occurs off frame and my dad will just act dumbfounded "I CAN'T TELL WHAT'S GOING ON."

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Another thing that always irritates me is autodetect. If I turn my TV on before I turn on any of the the devices connected to it, it just slowly goes through every input and there's this annoying lag trying to get it back to the correct one. On some TVs trying to do anything manually when autodetect isn't working is a loving project.

I complain about my dad here, but I'm turning into him, I can see it.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

So much of my movie and tv watching in college was driven by what the AV Club was covering, and for a time they had really wide coverage of the field, as well as genuinely funny news articles and, unbelievably, comments. I took a peek at the current homepage and it's just so loving miserable.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer
I've reverted pretty much back to majority piracy at this point for media. I still have an Amazon Prime sub (for now...) and a Netflix sub, but I'm so close to just not even looking for shows on these services any more. Stuff is so fragmented because everyone wants a piece of that Netflix pie.

Well, you make it so loving inconvenient to track what shows go where, and fragment them further and further - now you get nothing. Call me when 80% of these services evaporate I guess.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

CitizenKain posted:

My dad somehow managed to set the TV to zoom, while at one point managing to set the cable box to stretch the content. One of the times I came up to visit, he was basically cutting off most of the picture. He couldn't see scores or anything.

I can't understand why these zoom/stretch features even exist. They've been around for decades, sure, but why? They have no purpose other than making the image look weird or cutting part of it off. It's like how I grew up with a 4:3 pan and scan copy of Ghostbusters so it wasn't until I bought the DVD that I actually saw a good chunk of the visual gags in the film (the elevator scene, Egon giving Venkman hand signals etc.)

Frame smoothing I can kinda understand. It can actually look pretty good for sports and even some nature documentaries. But it's horrible for literally everything else but it is on by default on almost every TV made in the last 15 years.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Quote-Unquote posted:

I can't understand why these zoom/stretch features even exist. They've been around for decades, sure, but why? They have no purpose other than making the image look weird or cutting part of it off. It's like how I grew up with a 4:3 pan and scan copy of Ghostbusters so it wasn't until I bought the DVD that I actually saw a good chunk of the visual gags in the film (the elevator scene, Egon giving Venkman hand signals etc.)

Some (old) people just hate it when their TV screen isn't "filled up".

holefoods
Jan 10, 2022

Quote-Unquote posted:

Frame smoothing I can kinda understand. It can actually look pretty good for sports and even some nature documentaries. But it's horrible for literally everything else but it is on by default on almost every TV made in the last 15 years.

At this point I just want them to add a squish button so I can get improperly stretched content back to 4:3, if they just do that then I can stomach all the other ones.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

I've reverted pretty much back to majority piracy at this point for media. I still have an Amazon Prime sub (for now...) and a Netflix sub, but I'm so close to just not even looking for shows on these services any more. Stuff is so fragmented because everyone wants a piece of that Netflix pie.

Well, you make it so loving inconvenient to track what shows go where, and fragment them further and further - now you get nothing. Call me when 80% of these services evaporate I guess.

Since the start of the covid pandemic, my next-door neighbour and I started watching TV shows together. It started as a thing because we had nothing better to do during lockdowns, but now it's just a fun thing we do once a week. We were watching Mr Robot when it suddenly got removed from Prime. In the UK, Mr Robot wasn't on TV, it was a Prime exclusive. It's still marked as a Prime exclusive. Except you can't watch it unless you pay a whole lot of money to buy it. The blu ray is cheaper than the lovely digital version, even.

Piracy is back, baby! Arrrrrrrrrr!

holefoods posted:

At this point I just want them to add a squish button so I can get improperly stretched content back to 4:3, if they just do that then I can stomach all the other ones.

I think Disney+ actually added this because of their awful 'HD' Simpsons treatment, which looked dreadful and cut a whole bunch of visual gags out.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Quote-Unquote posted:

Putting "push to break" buttons is hilarious though. What else are you going to do with the 50 buttons on the TV's remote?

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

I've known people that understand that the picture is being stretched out but cannot tell the difference without a side by side comparison. People in their 40s, not super-olds. Just something fundamentally different about how their brain processes visual information, I guess.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Growing up my friend’s dad was really offended by letterbox because he spent a lot of money to ensure he had the largest tv in the neighborhood and letterbox made it smaller

Even as a kid I found the obsession with size weird

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

THE PICTURE IS TOO SMALL YOU BROKE THE TV

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

skooma512 posted:

Putting "push to break" buttons is hilarious though. What else are you going to do with the 50 buttons on the TV's remote?

to be fair, when I was 8 I found it fascinating how hosed up the display got on our 640*480 monitor when I tried to set this one weird application to run in 1024*768. It was some spreadsheet application that came on a disc with a magazine. Absolutely nobody outside of very wealthy business people had a monitor that could do a resolution like that in 1992.

Things that have gotten way less lovely: Monitors. Education started to shift to using computers more and more when I was doing my A-Levels, and I started to get seriously painful headaches on a regular basis. I had been used to using computers with CRT monitors since 1988 so I didn't think about it, but it turned out the flicker from crappy CRTs at my college running at (I think) 50hz was loving with my eyes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Rochallor posted:

So much of my movie and tv watching in college was driven by what the AV Club was covering, and for a time they had really wide coverage of the field, as well as genuinely funny news articles and, unbelievably, comments. I took a peek at the current homepage and it's just so loving miserable.
Seriously it wasn't just a way to find out the "right" opinions, though it was that, it was also a great way to discover things. And had awesome entertaining and informative features. A one stop culture shop. There was no reason for it to be destroyed. It's a fuckin tragedy