Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Szarrukin
Sep 29, 2021
I vaguely remember that non-Chaos non-Imperial human separatist faction used to be a thing in Koronus Expanse (Severan Dominium or something), I wonder if it is going to be included in one of DLCs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Wrong side of the Maw, the dominate is on the warp route from calixis to scarus.

ccubed
Jul 14, 2016

How's it hanging, brah?
Can some people post the order of colony projects they implemented on their planets? And maybe include some reasoning or what they might have done differently? I am still in act 2 but I am leaving them alone after like 3 because I don't know requirements for higher levels projects and what interactions between worlds will affect which projects will be available later. Also unsure what faction rep rewards are more important than others since these also gate projects.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

The dominate is a great example of nobles loving everyone over because Lord Sector Hax let the ork invasion of the dominate happen because he knew Severus was a separatist so hey solve two problems at once and then predictably the orks did not get weaker from fighting and conquests. And the neglect didn't improve Severus's loyalty. So now it's just this unmanageable problem because nobles squabbled instead of calling in the feds.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

You can’t lock yourself out of the level 4 and 5 improvements by your decisions in Act 2. The level 4 and 5 projects pre-reqs are either non-exclusive projects that can’t be locked out, or are level 4 themselves so you won’t be able to build them until after you can see what they lead to.

I mostly regret focusing so hard on Security. Raise stats roughly evenly so you don’t get punished by the stat-cap.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Szarrukin posted:

40k is absolutely terrible when it comes to math and scale.

Finishing chapter 3 and I am not sure what to think about it, storywise and visually it was great to visit Dark City, but gameplay was extremely boring and linear. Should I put a pause now and wait until Chapter 4 onwards is patched or is it playable now?

Act 4 isn't TOO bad
Act 5 is a nightmare

Don't do it, wait.

Also honestly I think 40k does an alright job with the scale nowadays. There's trillions and trillions of humans out there. Whereas a lot of settings really don't seem to grasp just how loving HUGE the galaxy is

Dox023
Feb 23, 2009

Taear posted:

That would be amazing.
Honestly I think my issue is just not understanding how the versitility stuff stacked, I thought it was just on melee attacks and I didn't do them so my head went "Okay you can start with 3 and that's still nice"
I also think Arch Militant is the ONLY promotion class that has a good Heroic.

Can anyone tell me how I can work out which systems I didn't put extractors on? I thought it'd be marked not-green but either it's bugged or it doesn't work that way. I need some Flogiston and I know I've got loads out there I didn't get

Here is a link to the builds I am using. I wasn't sure the what the best way to share these was so I just made a dropbox account. Just download the zip I guess, all the builds are in pdf's.

Click File at the top left and then click download and you should be good to go, hopefully they help.

Edit: They're kind of a work in progress so the formatting will differ slightly between builds.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

Is there a good wiki for the game out there? Non-fextralife wiki?

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Best Friends posted:

Neoseeker is probably the best you're getting. It's not ideal but it works for the most part.

Dox023 posted:

Here is a link to the builds I am using. I wasn't sure the what the best way to share these was so I just made a dropbox account. Just download the zip I guess, all the builds are in pdf's.

Thank you!

Party In My Diapee
Jan 24, 2014

Best Friends posted:

That's actually not the real wiki, it just took over google searches: https://bg3.wiki

Efit: oh, woops. Wrong thread

Party In My Diapee fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Jan 11, 2024

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008
People keep saying act five is a nightmare but act 3 is the only place I actually had to toybox my way past bugs.

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

Party In My Diapee posted:

That's actually not the real wiki, it just took over google searches: https://bg3.wiki

Ironically this wiki is probably about as useful for this game as the RT fextralife wiki is.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Rhymenoserous posted:

People keep saying act five is a nightmare but act 3 is the only place I actually had to toybox my way past bugs.

At some point during the end of act 4 every single cutscene I have on my ship bridge is broken and I have to Toybox it. Meaning without Toybox I couldn't even progress to Act 5, I'd have had to just stop there

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Taear posted:

Act 4 spoilers
They all turn up and say goodbye but tell me that I've not got my relationship with them very high. Which made me kinda laugh because honestly everyone is above 10 and I'm saying that takes quite a lot of effort!
It's been said but I think it might actually be impossible to get to the higher levels of the different factions, even if you super duper focus on it

Its actually not that hard to max out at least one vendor if you are agressive enough with making things cargo, specially anything that turns into mechanicus creations, xeno artifcats, and holy relics. I could probably have maxed 2 if I cared to

Taear posted:

As far as I can tell that just tells me where I've already done it and doesn't seem to tell me "Hey, you can do stuff here!"

Currently doing Pasqal's final quest step. gently caress this is a buggy one. It WORKS but you have to answer a specific quest bit with a random NPC in a specific order too. What's even weirder is the wrong order still gets the dialogue path you need but only ONE order actually updates the quest

pretty sure thats just how that quest is designed and you have to figure out the right commands to make the servitor listen to you

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

babypolis posted:

pretty sure thats just how that quest is designed and you have to figure out the right commands to make the servitor listen to you

Two paths both lead to the same end (as in two ways of originally asking the question to the Tech Shaman) but only one then allows you to interact with the door.
They're identical, and it actually DID update the quest but still wouldn't allow me to open the door unless I went back and went down the other identical path.

I'd say that's a bug. I had to go and look up what to do because it felt like I'd already done it, but it wasn't actually progressing. It's a minor one at least (since you don't need to use third party tools to fix it) but still a bug.

Szarrukin
Sep 29, 2021
I know that "xenos calling humans apes" is running joke in 40k (mon'keigh and gue'la) but I could swear I've heard mon'keigh pronounced "mon-kai" instead of "monkey" in some video game.

Also is it ever explained what "elantach" actually means, because somehow I missed that.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Elantach is some poetic allusion about space and fire, she uses because she refuses to call you ‘captain’ and she feels too embarrassed to keep calling you ‘monkey’

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

I wonder how you earn the achievement for visiting all the optional locations? I did go EVERYWHERE but I bet there's a lot that are just randomly part of a quest that you might not follow the right path on or etc

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

lmao im doing the helbrute fight in eufrates ii right now and the space wolf npc had a clear shot at the helbrute and instead he moved behind heinryx and killed him with friendly fire. thats so perfect i cant even be mad

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.

cuntman.net posted:

lmao im doing the helbrute fight in eufrates ii right now and the space wolf npc had a clear shot at the helbrute and instead he moved behind heinryx and killed him with friendly fire. thats so perfect i cant even be mad

LOL, extremely lore appropriate.

Nessus posted:

It makes sense that there'd be different degrees and stuff even if maybe all the astropaths end up with burned out eyeballs. You could have like apostolic succession with sanctioned psykers going out to places like the Koronus Expanse.

I believe the great majority of the psykers on the black ships end up being thrown in the ol' Golden Throne furnace, though

1000 people a day doesn't actually end up being very much on a galactic scale. It's 365,000 a year which is... uh... a couple hundred thousands fewer than died of COVID in the US alone during each of 2020 and 2021. And the Imperium just has so many damned people, hive worlds have populations in excess of 100 billion. Even if psykers are one in a million you're gonna have plenty of hive worlds with over 100,000 psykers. The better parts of the lore understands this.

Also, IIRC it's the folks who aren't that strong psychically who end up in the Astronomicon's choir, so it's as much logistics in getting them to Terra than anything else.

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

This was such an excellent game until an absolutely unacceptable Act 4 and insulting Act 5. It could have had great reviews but kinda threw that away.

You can tell sites that reviewed the game only based off the front half because no one would say 9/10 by the time three companion quests break and secret companions are so secret they are literally invisible and unable to equip anything.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

finally got the critical hit achievement, cant believe im not going to see it pop up every time someone lands a crit anymore. end of an era

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I'm your secret companion bro

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Old Doggy Bastard posted:

This was such an excellent game until an absolutely unacceptable Act 4 and insulting Act 5. It could have had great reviews but kinda threw that away.

You can tell sites that reviewed the game only based off the front half because no one would say 9/10 by the time three companion quests break and secret companions are so secret they are literally invisible and unable to equip anything.

Yeah its unfortunate. I dumped 70 hours into the game and completed act 3 and it was pretty good. But after reading this thread and seeing a couple tell tale signs, I'm putting it down for like at least another month.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

So I'm about to land for the final battle
all my characters come to let me speak to them. Except Yrilet, who is stuck stood between two guards because a cutscene didn't fire for her and no matter what I do I cannot fix it.
That's so loving annoying, like she was the one I romanced and now her story is totally hosed

Dox023
Feb 23, 2009

Taear posted:

Neoseeker is probably the best you're getting. It's not ideal but it works for the most part.

Thank you!

No problem! Let me know if you catch any errors or things that can be improved in the builds and I’ll see about fixing them.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Dox023 posted:

No problem! Let me know if you catch any errors or things that can be improved in the builds and I’ll see about fixing them.

I've finished the game now but a few other people I know are playing it so they're having a look to see if they work for them.

I'm glad I got to the end but I definitely feel like the game falls apart on act 3 onwards. 1/2 are really good, I enjoy a lot of what we do and how the game builds from that point then it feels like it just goes a totally different direction, like they felt as though they had to do something big and flashy to finish off instead of letting it rest on how the rest of the game worked.
Proper buggy ending slides, not much I can do about that though.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I really liked the random warp travel tables, I just wish there were fewer combat encounters. The story encounters for the yellow and orange routes were really inventive!

Mr. Pool
Jul 10, 2001
I wish Idira got more personality and backstory than just "Uaagghghh uhhhh ohhh the voices they overwhelm meeee" . Unless I'm roleplaying an absolute zealot, Idira makes most the most sense to me to be the companion I would like the most / protect the most. Why? Because as a recently elevated nobody, you need to watch your back and make some allies you can trust. And who better to trust than the only person in a more precarious situation than you? Idira! I feel like she would be my go to confidante, much as she was with Theodora. For story purposes they say she was professionally useful to Theodora with her divining, although im in act 4 and i've yet to get a single useful piece of advice from her lol (besides 5 second ambush notices). Also from a roleplaying perspective of somebody who just came to power during a failed mutiny and is paranoid about disloyalty, I would be *way* more interested in Idira's powers as a telepath than as a diviner. Time for every officer on the ship to line up for their mandatory brain audit for disloyalty! yes, even you Argenta! You don't have anything to hide right :colbert:

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

ccubed posted:

Can some people post the order of colony projects they implemented on their planets? And maybe include some reasoning or what they might have done differently? I am still in act 2 but I am leaving them alone after like 3 because I don't know requirements for higher levels projects and what interactions between worlds will affect which projects will be available later. Also unsure what faction rep rewards are more important than others since these also gate projects.

It's also worth mentioning that it looks like you have a limited amount of space for projects. You don't. You can build as many projects in any given colony as you want. You are only limited by resources, rep, and whatever role-playing restrictions you want to put on yourself.

Keep in mind you need to basically do all of the Navy upgrades to max out your Navy status and the Navy items are real good. Your colonies cap out at 10 for any given stat so you want to vary up your selections for global buffs. There are also events that can give you a permanent plus or negative to all of the stats so keep in mind if you can't quite get a colony to 10 you'll have opportunities to fix that.

Make sure you hover over all of the character buffs that are available because some of them are loving insane. I want to say one of them gives you a flat plus 10 to every characteristic. There are a couple that are better buffs to your naval combat than the things you can select when you level up your ship.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
One of my favorite moments in the campaign was finding out that you can build a schola progenium in one of your colonies. Abby, Argy and my PC all would have come up in a schola. I imagine it would be a big "We made it" moment on the ship. We even have our own little batch of scrappy war orphans from the tutorial that we can huck in there for Rogue Trader 2. My PC is definitely pulling a Julius Caesar and adopting one of the little scamps to succeed them.

Szarrukin
Sep 29, 2021

Arglebargle III posted:

I really liked the random warp travel tables, I just wish there were fewer combat encounters. The story encounters for the yellow and orange routes were really inventive!

Agree, writing on warp parts (especially unsuccessful attempt to return to Imperium) was top notch.

Mr. Pool
Jul 10, 2001

Eifert Posting posted:

One of my favorite moments in the campaign was finding out that you can build a schola progenium in one of your colonies. Abby, Argy and my PC all would have come up in a schola. I imagine it would be a big "We made it" moment on the ship. We even have our own little batch of scrappy war orphans from the tutorial that we can huck in there for Rogue Trader 2. My PC is definitely pulling a Julius Caesar and adopting one of the little scamps to succeed them.

Even making the prison colony nicer than it needs to be feels good.

Janissary Hop
Sep 2, 2012

A lot of the projects were really cool and inventive. Like turning a planet's moon into a comet that would travel the sector proclaiming the Emperor's glory.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Janissary Hop posted:

A lot of the projects were really cool and inventive. Like turning a planet's moon into a comet that would travel the sector proclaiming the Emperor's glory.

Yea the flavour for them was so good
I liked the strange schools I set up on one of the planets, or the enormous maglev train.

In my end slides Janus became capital of the Expanse, because I'd done so well with it, felt good

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

I only got into this a few days ago and got a question: is it just me or are the momentum abilities from the second tier of archetypes just kinda worse than those from the first set? The first set are versatile staples that I'm using basically all the time: Officer's extra turn is always very useful, Soldier gets a good solid bunch of extra attacks with the right weapon, and Warrior's berserker thingy offers a ludicrous amount of offensive potential.

Second tier meanwhile seems either more specific, less effective, or both. Stuff like a few extra AP if people stand in the right position, or a handful somewhat unreliable extra attacks under specific circumstances. I only really find myself using the Arch Militant and Bounty Hunter ones. And even those tend to pale next to the option to just go "Abelard, kindly kill everybody" and then watching him do exactly that.

PurplieNurplie
Jan 14, 2009
It does seem like they're supposed to complement or supplement the first tier archetype Heroics/Desperates, like for example the Arch-Millitant one has an upgrade that lets you use both it and the Warrior/Soldier one in the same fight, on a 1 round c/d, unfortunately.

In practice, right now they feel kind of tacked on, yeah. Like, there's specific situations where you might want to use one instead of the other, but it feels rare enough that you can stick to the first tier ones the majority of the time. I wonder if it's the same way in tabletop?

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President
Orchestrated firestorm is pretty funny.

Magni
Apr 29, 2009

PurplieNurplie posted:

I wonder if it's the same way in tabletop?

Tabletop doesn't really do momentum or ultimates.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Perestroika posted:

I only got into this a few days ago and got a question: is it just me or are the momentum abilities from the second tier of archetypes just kinda worse than those from the first set? The first set are versatile staples that I'm using basically all the time: Officer's extra turn is always very useful, Soldier gets a good solid bunch of extra attacks with the right weapon, and Warrior's berserker thingy offers a ludicrous amount of offensive potential.

Second tier meanwhile seems either more specific, less effective, or both. Stuff like a few extra AP if people stand in the right position, or a handful somewhat unreliable extra attacks under specific circumstances. I only really find myself using the Arch Militant and Bounty Hunter ones. And even those tend to pale next to the option to just go "Abelard, kindly kill everybody" and then watching him do exactly that.

IMO it's more that Finest Hour is wildly powerful compared to everything else. For the Soldier example, I'd much rather use the Arch-Militant's Steady Superiority to get a free attack every turn rather than Rate-of-Fire Attacks on one turn, because that's a free burst fire every turn, including turns without AP. There's almost no situation where I want to use the Operative heroic vs the Assassin or Bounty Hunter heroics. I think Warrior is probably comparable to the Officer here.

And generally, if you're snapping the game's action economy in two, the only heroics you care about are Finest Hour and Steady Superiority, because by the time you've used Steady once and Finest Hour once or twice, everything is probably dead. So you won't get to a point where you've already used all of your Finest Hours and Steady Superiorities and are moving on to your second strings like Daring Breach or Orchestrated Firestorms.

Preechr posted:

Orchestrated firestorm is pretty funny.

It's actually hilarious, and you probably don't even know it because you've been spending all your momentum on Finest Hour and Steady Superiority like I said above. But then you use it and laugh like an idiot as all of your guys delete a 3x3 square of enemies.