Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
No, it's that moisture farmers dress like Jedi. Buncha fanboys on Tattooine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

You can’t prove that the moisture farmers weren’t also religious officers

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

RBA Starblade posted:

Oh my God lol

Ain’t no loving way LMFAO

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Madmartigan from Willow was an early inspiration for how the Jedi might dress in the prequels, mixed with Luke's look from Return of the Jedi. Eventually, those influences were downplayed in favor of a costume that tied Episode I Obi-Wan more closely to his familiar look from the original movies, and all that remained of the Madmartigan idea was the hairstyle that evolved into the Padawan braid.

plus

equals

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-QgOwuVdVJU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=1563742

cined rots thread

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!

Hot drat. I posted in that first thread!

I was about to post a message about how 'i was there in this very forum nerding about Star Wars' and there you go.

Disappointingly I couldn't find a post in the CineD ROTS thread. I'm sure I discussed it to death here as that was peak SA / my nerdom. It must have been in GBS.

How are you doing the searches? I've never managed to successfully do much in the way of archive searches. There's a whole treasure trove of sad teenager Isometric that I want to read again.

On topic, I remember at the time a particular goon had gone out of his way to re-edit the films to be paced much less awkwardly and have much less Anakin / Jar Jar. That was my way of watching the prequels through most of the aughts.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Dash Rendar?!

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Isometric Bacon posted:

How are you doing the searches? I've never managed to successfully do much in the way of archive searches. There's a whole treasure trove of sad teenager Isometric that I want to read again.

I was not on sa at all during this time, only knew of it bc of the photoshop fridays but I just went to cined, and got to 2005 on the little time searcher on the bottom and searched through. May is where the most convos were but I let it be a bit wide spread.

There was some GBS threads too but that was a little harder to look through

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
I joined this forum 7 years after Revenge Of The Sith came out. That was 11 years ago... yikes

SolarFire2
Oct 16, 2001

"You're awefully cute, but unfortunately for you, you're made of meat." - Meat And Sarcasm Guy!

2house2fly posted:

I joined this forum 7 years after Revenge Of The Sith came out. That was 11 years ago... yikes

I could have given my thoughts on coming out of Attack of the Clones. Not sure if I did.

Edit: I seem to recall primarily, 'Yoda flipping and spinning was dumb' and 'Padme popping up and announcing she's fine after falling out of the transport' was mocked.

SolarFire2 fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Jan 11, 2024

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I no longer have any idea of what my thoughts about AotC were when I got out of the theater vs. what I picked up from discussion after the fact. I waited in line for a very very long time, but I don't recall seeing it more than once in theaters. By the time Sith came out I had to get dragged to it and remember getting a cup of water partway through and loitering in the lobby to kill time for a while before going back in.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
I can't remember what I thought of Attack Of The Clones when I watched it in the cinema because I was drunk

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!
I remember that I went to see AOTC with my friends for my 9th birthday party after having already seen it once, and I loved every C-3PO joke the second time around too

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

I only say AOTC once but I mostly remember it being interminably boring; sound and fury signifying not much.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Guy A. Person posted:

it's directly analogous because all the people insisting they were just doing this begrudgingly while fighting back tears of rage were probably just having fun, and are just embarrassed by that fact in retrospect

A lot of things in the 90s are like that where in the no-fun-allowed dark edgy mature 00s everyone had to performatively rage and swear about the idea that anyone ever might have genuinely liked a thing.

No Mods No Masters posted:

I think it's pretty fair to not really like the extent to which the prequels decided the jedi were basically completely monks and not really knights at all, but it's so fundamental to the premise I guess I don't really consider it a setting problem. I guess it's kind of just transposing lucas's branding savvy from the real world onto the organization in the fiction

Pretty sure the inspiration was heavily on the Knights Templar (like say, a certain robe-wearing knight we see in another movie Lucas famously worked on) who were kinda both. As well as the idea of eastern martial arts movie monks who practice meditation and mysticism and exotic impractical weapons that kill you in creative ways. The Jedi are basically the Shaolin, complete with the destruction of the temple.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
I remember liking AotC at the time more than TPM (but not really liking either). I don't remember anything about my reaction RotS at all.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

I was initially pretty impressed with RotS but as time went on I cooled on it; the exact same cycle I had with Rogue One. I still would say it's the best of the prequels, but....I dunno; I would sit down to watch any of the OT movies; even Jedi, if for the Vader/Palpatine/Luke scenes alone. I probably wouldn't for any of the PT or even ST ones.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
These days if I'm going to sit down and watch a prequel (or, rather, have it on in the background) it's gonna be RotS just because there's always some fun nonsense happening, there are fewer dull and slow conversation scenes, and it reminds me most of The Clone Wars. AotC is probably my favorite of the bunch in terms of sitting down engaged and actually watching the narrative unfold. TPM has some good moments but I've seen it more than enough times in my life, but is the most like a real movie. As much as I respect the prequels for many reasons, I'm not really ever going to be jazzed about watching them again.

Ultimately, if I ever get the urge to watch a prequel I'll probably just put on a Clone War instead.

e: I have been interested in watching one of the more acclaimed TPM fan edits, though. Mostly just out of curiosity for something different and leaner, but I'm open to wacky fan Special Edition nonsense. I'm out of touch with that community, though. Any recommendations?

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Jan 11, 2024

90sgamer
Jun 28, 2023
fuck off worms butthole guy!!!
I The prequels were bad but they made money from curios general audience, gen z kids, and self hating nerds

As time has gone on they have become more looked on fondly due to nostalgia and the various expanded universe material that has patched them up like the various cartoons, comics, novels, etc

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Revenge of the Sith is weird because it's the only Lucas-made Star War that doesn't heavily borrow from another movie.
  • A New Hope was The Hidden Fortress mixed with thematic elements of Lucas' version of Apocalypse Now
  • The Hoth portions of The Empire Strikes Back originated from Lucas wanting to do a riff on The Thing From Another World
  • Return of the Jedi had leftover scraps from early drafts of A New Hope
  • The Phantom Menace was made of even more leftover ANH pieces, with more of The Hidden Fortress' influence retained, and a sidequest to Ben Hur.
  • Attack of the Clones was Lucas trying to do Doctor Zhivago in space

What Revenge of the Sith draws on instead is just... real life, and there's a bunch of references to what America was going through:
  • Opens with Space 9/11 (complete with starship crashing into a building)
  • Draws heavily on 9/11 imagery with the aftermath of the Jedi temple attack
  • The search for General Grievous ends with him hiding in a "spider hole" like Saddam Hussein
  • One of the Order 66 planets is named after Fallujah
  • Anakin paraphrases Bush's "Either you are with us, or you are with the terrorists" quote.

In the same way Godzilla was an attempt to use science fiction to work through fears about atomic warfare, Revenge of the Sith is Lucas posting "WATCH BUSH START A loving WAR" over and over again for two hours.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Hot take: the prequels are actually good movies

I was 19 when TPM was released and I was a dumb nerd and so got bothered by stuff like midchlorians and whatever. But still watched the movie like 3 times. And the other 2 movies I did enjoy a lot

And I rewatched all the prequels older and liked them even more.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

It wasn’t the prequels but I remember getting so caught up in Star Wars hype I recorded the local news that did a special segment on the Jabba restoration in a New Hope.

90sgamer
Jun 28, 2023
fuck off worms butthole guy!!!

Robot Style posted:

Madmartigan from Willow was an early inspiration for how the Jedi might dress in the prequels, mixed with Luke's look from Return of the Jedi. Eventually, those influences were downplayed in favor of a costume that tied Episode I Obi-Wan more closely to his familiar look from the original movies, and all that remained of the Madmartigan idea was the hairstyle that evolved into the Padawan braid.

plus

equals

That Jedi looks like Ralph finnes

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
I liked Star Wars just fine as a kid but it was really my buddy who was obsessed with it. Big KOTOR fan too. I loved the Lego sets and pretending to be a space wizard so I went along with it.

We went with another dude to see RotS together, it was pretty cool of an experience at 12. Really liked Grievous's design.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Grievous is great. I genuinely love his design.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Yeah, it was an amazing design.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

Vintersorg posted:

Yeah, it was an amazing design.

Wow what video game is this from

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

90sgamer posted:

That Jedi looks like Ralph finnes

Joseph Finnes, actually. He was one of the early contenders for Obi-Wan.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Blood Boils posted:

Wow Pee Ess Two much?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Blood Boils posted:

Star Wars Episode II for the Xbox

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

RBA Starblade posted:

No wonder they were so heavy!

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

RBA Starblade posted:

As much as I loved Episode I Racer (and I loving loved that game, I played that game like it was my job, and I was paid well), the actual Phantom Menace game was unplayable garbage.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Any game named after any movie will be god awful. This is factual, always.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Schwarzwald posted:

Take that back about Goldeneye

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Schwarzwald posted:

Grand Theft Auto
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fUM82uBey90

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J9X_FmCbrIA

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Schwarzwald posted:

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

chronicles of riddick escape from butcher bay rocked

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker
I first saw AOTC a week before it hit theaters on an extremely blurry bootleg video, and was hyped and thought it was way better than TPM. There's a scene with like 800 lightsabers!