Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: PoundSand)

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

As a mega-white piece of poo poo coming from the lands of high latitudes I kinda want to get a Vit D test but I'm guessing even with insurance it'd be like $50 and the only real reason would be to post it here so anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
Literally yelling “GO GET THE MEDICINE” across the room to my coworkers who are discussing not bothering with paxlovid because they “don’t have risk factors”

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

Dren posted:

Literally yelling “GO GET THE MEDICINE” across the room to my coworkers who are discussing not bothering with paxlovid because they “don’t have risk factors”

incredible shortsightedness by pfizer to not drill the most common comorbidities into everyone's brains ahead of the emergency funding ending

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?
Hey buddy, what are you doing up there?

https://github.com/sars-cov-2-variants/lineage-proposals/issues/1089 posted:

(..)
Branch 5: now designated JN.1.6.1
JN.1 > S:R346T (G22599C), G22627A
Query : G22599C, G22627A,C18894T ,T3565C
Samples: 27
(..)

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

tangy yet delightful posted:

As a mega-white piece of poo poo coming from the lands of high latitudes I kinda want to get a Vit D test but I'm guessing even with insurance it'd be like $50 and the only real reason would be to post it here so anyway.

taking vitamin D is cheaper than testing for any deficiency

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

fosborb posted:

incredible shortsightedness by pfizer to not drill the most common comorbidities into everyone's brains ahead of the emergency funding ending

problem with marketing is that it is 100% based on aspirational emotional connections.

you will be happy if you buy x
you will be content if you buy x
you will be desirable if you buy x
you will be successful if you buy x

fear based marketing doesnt actually work which is why even political candidates with fear-based agendas use positive selling techniques in their ad copy and reserve negative emotional copy strictly for ads that only mention the other guy; look at every drug ad youve ever seen. theyre all selling the idea that you will be happy, successful, normal, and get to gently caress if you just take these drugs. even the lameass pax ads tried to sell an aspirational version of "dont end up in the hospital" with people going about their happy suck and gently caress lives rather than selling "ending up in the hospital is horrific"

the problem is that theres actually nothing aspirational about public health or infectious disease treatments. its like cleaning your toilet, you do it because the alternative is worse and because sometimes you have to deal with unpleasant terrible things and the only choice you get is "too much" vs "even more than that." our society is just categorically unable to cope with that.

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

My wife and I were talking and it was the Omicron wave and the massive increase in transmissibility that convinced us that this was going to go on with no end in sight. Prior to that we'd gone to some outdoor sporting events and even stayed at a B&B in upstate NY while visiting family. But Omicron blasting in with measles-like contagiousness and the media shrieking "THIS IS MILD AND NORMAL" while 150,000 people died in four months pretty much put the lid on that.

I realized when I first heard it might be airborne, but held out for hope until the initial Pfizer testing showed the vaccine was leaky. Modern society as it stands is not capable of dealing with an airborne disease, unless there is a one and done fix.

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

tangy yet delightful posted:

First time I ever had to pay for a blood test in :canada: was for Vitamin D ($68) and it was so low that I got put on prescription stuff.

(Its not covered because "vitamin D supplements are cheap and you live in canada, take some" but my Doc said "how deficient you are matters too")

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?
Too esoteric for me to understand the details here beyond the abstract, but sounds odd and bad.
"Long COVID manifests with T cell dysregulation, inflammation and an uncoordinated adaptive immune response to SARS-CoV-2"

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41590-023-01724-6 posted:

Abstract
Long COVID (LC) occurs after at least 10% of severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2 (SARS-CoV-2) infections, yet its etiology remains poorly understood. We used ‘omic” assays and serology to deeply characterize the global and SARS-CoV-2-specific immunity in the blood of individuals with clear LC and non-LC clinical trajectories, 8 months postinfection. We found that LC individuals exhibited systemic inflammation and immune dysregulation. This was evidenced by global differences in T cell subset distribution implying ongoing immune responses, as well as by sex-specific perturbations in cytolytic subsets. LC individuals displayed increased frequencies of CD4+ T cells poised to migrate to inflamed tissues and exhausted SARS-CoV-2-specific CD8+ T cells, higher levels of SARS-CoV-2 antibodies and a mis-coordination between their SARS-CoV-2-specific T and B cell responses. Our analysis suggested an improper crosstalk between the cellular and humoral adaptive immunity in LC, which can lead to immune dysregulation, inflammation and clinical symptoms associated with this debilitating condition.

Square Peg
Nov 11, 2008

Yesterday at the mandatory monthly meeting where everyone in the office has to gather in the same room (~100 people), they were going over the updated Respiratory Illness Policy, about how anyone with symptoms or a positive test for a respiratory illness should stay home. In the middle of talking about it, an employee started having a brutal coughing fit, during which she walked out of the room coughing next to everyone, coughed around the corner for a minute, came back, and then started coughing again and walked out again. She had just flown in from the other office on the other side of the country.

It was truly, perfect timing, lol, lmao

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

Square Peg posted:

Yesterday at the mandatory monthly meeting where everyone in the office has to gather in the same room (~100 people), they were going over the updated Respiratory Illness Policy, about how anyone with symptoms or a positive test for a respiratory illness should stay home. In the middle of talking about it, an employee started having a brutal coughing fit, during which she walked out of the room coughing next to everyone, coughed around the corner for a minute, came back, and then started coughing again and walked out again. She had just flown in from the other office on the other side of the country.

:allbuttons:

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888

Square Peg posted:

lol the only thing that would have made this better is if they were wearing a mask under their chin

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

this is trending on twitter and I got a good laugh at it. If it's covid but significantly more deadly we all die, that's kind of all there is to it. Covid has shown that no one will do anything about it

Square Peg
Nov 11, 2008

RBC posted:

lol the only thing that would have made this better is if they were wearing a mask under their chin

0 people were wearing masks of any kind (myself included, I am an idiot)

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Pingui posted:

Too esoteric for me to understand the details here beyond the abstract, but sounds odd and bad.
"Long COVID manifests with T cell dysregulation, inflammation and an uncoordinated adaptive immune response to SARS-CoV-2"

quote:

LC individuals displayed increased frequencies of CD4+ T cells poised to migrate to inflamed tissues and exhausted SARS-CoV-2-specific CD8+ T cells

aj leonardi started talking about this as a possibility/serious risk of the virus in mid/late 2020 fyi; i have no idea the actual mechanisms behind it but he said this verbatim and you can pinpoint the studies between june and september hat caused him to go from "cd8 tcells are going to be protective, we're probably ok here" in april 2020 to "uh oh" in october/november starting around here:

https://x.com/fitterhappierAJ/status/1293546396684103680?s=20

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Square Peg posted:

:crnasickos:

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

Grapplejack posted:

this is trending on twitter and I got a good laugh at it. If it's covid but significantly more deadly we all die, that's kind of all there is to it. Covid has shown that no one will do anything about it

I think they are simply saying that a disease would have to kill 20 times as many people as COVID, before they would respond next time. Fool me once...

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Square Peg posted:

this makes it funnier, I dunno about better

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

so if there's a disease that's 11x times more deadly than covid, we're just sending the kids to school

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

so if there's a disease that's 11x times more deadly than covid, we're just sending the kids to school

Well yeah, whatever it is won't be transmitting in school.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

we should just send everyone to school

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

Square Peg posted:

Another public health economics success!

(You may want to proactively look into getting Paxlovid, if you haven't already.)

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate
I recognize I was probably having an AITA moment that I had to de-escalate but I took my kid to the pediatricians office because she was presenting a sore throat and she was pretty uncomfortable and wouldn’t eat so the pediatrician asked me has she been around people with Covid and I replied well half the school can have Covid for all I know. Dr got a little
tense.

strep and Covid negative. just a lot of drainage from a cold.

I probably could have just said nothing. need to add another filter in my head so the cspam doesn’t leak out.

no staff wearing masks. people only masked when they went into rooms.

Square Peg
Nov 11, 2008

Pingui posted:

Another public health economics success!

(You may want to proactively look into getting Paxlovid, if you haven't already.)

In my province since I've had 3 shots I'd only be eligible for paxlovid if I were over 70 or "identified as clinically extremely vulnerable"
Our public health system is a joke

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

The Oldest Man posted:

aj leonardi started talking about this as a possibility/serious risk of the virus in mid/late 2020 fyi; i have no idea the actual mechanisms behind it but he said this verbatim and you can pinpoint the studies between june and september hat caused him to go from "cd8 tcells are going to be protective, we're probably ok here" in april 2020 to "uh oh" in october/november starting around here:
(..)

Sadly he didn't go through the results himself this time, LeonardiBot 2.0 did though (he retweeted it, as he is currently doing a bit of an angry victory lap):
https://nitter.net/LeonardiBot/status/1745544296353218715

Good for you Leonardi, with all the bullshit you got put through, you deserve a bit of ranting :)

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

Square Peg posted:

In my province since I've had 3 shots I'd only be eligible for paxlovid if I were over 70 or "identified as clinically extremely vulnerable"
Our public health system is a joke

Welp, you have my sympathies from :denmark: (65+ and/or vulnerable)

maxwellhill
Jan 5, 2022
hey everybody, cross post

triple sulk posted:

and now for the worst thing you will see all day, and possibly all month

https://twitter.com/MorePerfectUS/status/1745533600064528429

maxwellhill
Jan 5, 2022

ArmedZombie posted:

why doesn't the lighting on each speaker match the lighting in the backgroun... lmao

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Pingui posted:

Well yeah, whatever it is won't be transmitting in school.

11 times more transmissible means students can still sit next to each other for one minute and thirty seconds, so we'll just need to factor constant seat changes into the lesson plan. Maybe we can divide students into two groups and have them walk in circles in opposite directions instead of spending all that time on seating plans.

Weird, I've just received a phone call that I've been appointed head of the CDC

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

sonatinas posted:

I recognize I was probably having an AITA moment that I had to de-escalate but I took my kid to the pediatricians office because she was presenting a sore throat and she was pretty uncomfortable and wouldn’t eat so the pediatrician asked me has she been around people with Covid and I replied well half the school can have Covid for all I know. Dr got a little
tense.

strep and Covid negative. just a lot of drainage from a cold.

I probably could have just said nothing. need to add another filter in my head so the cspam doesn’t leak out.

no staff wearing masks. people only masked when they went into rooms.

Drove into the hazardous waste disposal site with hazardous waste. All the employees freaked out when I told them I had some hazardous waste!

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

jetz0r posted:

taking vitamin D is cheaper than testing for any deficiency

Yeah but I didn't come from the genetic stock of the whites of northern europe to need supplements for sunlight!!

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
how does wastewater determine how many people have Covid? do they measure Covid coming out of individual homes, average them out, and then extrapolate the numbers for public sewers?

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
no they just count the viruses and that's the graph

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
so if there's more rear end Covid than usual it would affect the chart more than lung covid

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Steve Yun posted:

how does wastewater determine how many people have Covid? do they measure Covid coming out of individual homes, average them out, and then extrapolate the numbers for public sewers?

it's just viral copies per ml of sewage as measured at the the treatment plant

DominoKitten
Aug 7, 2012

I think they do try to calibrate it some against pepper mild mottle virus.

Soap Scum
Aug 8, 2003

DominoKitten posted:

I think they do try to calibrate it some against pepper mild mottle virus.

:hai:

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde

DominoKitten posted:

I wanted to bring up something I've seen bouncing around socials for considering since I don't recall it coming up in the thread before and there's people here much better at evaluating this stuff:

COVID antihistamine protocol. Links to a bunch of papers underlying the hypothesis that part of COVID's sting is the spike making your mast cells go wonky, and thus antihistamines might help in the areas of prophylactic, acute treatment, Long COVID treatment, and vaccine reaction remedy.

In any case, the theory behind it is something that apparently people can try for their next COVID booster shot if they tend to hit you hard like kazmeyer is experiencing:

The author also links to this Long COVID doctor consortium's page of Long Covid treatment kit, which contains a lot of the things I've seen the thread recommend and some others I haven't heard from the thread so much.

Quoting this for when I finally get got.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?
This news item is making the rounds:

https://thehill.com/newsletters/health-care/4404083-who-december-covid-deaths-near-10k/ posted:

December COVID deaths close to 10,000: WHO
Nearly four years after the onset of the COVID-19 pandemic, the virus is still proving to be a sizable threat, with a top health official saying last month’s global death total is “not acceptable.”

And let me be perfectly clear that it is an idiotic number to trot out, if you wanted to emphasize the sizeable threat, as it is an actively insane low-balling. As mentioned in the post below, the latest complete data point for the US is from the week ending 9 December, in which 1614 people died. If that had been at a wave plateau that would be 6000+ for the US alone, which it wasn't.