Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Second Hand Meat Mouth)

fanfic insert
Nov 4, 2009

skooma512 posted:

On the flip side, I've been nursing one crush for almost 19 years :piss:

I've identified this limerence as an intrusive thought pattern rather than a crush, since the person it's about I haven't seen in 13 years and I maintain a voluntary embargo on all info related to them so as not to give my brain any new data. It still loving sucks because I've wanted out of this poo poo for 18.5 years, but it never goes away. I'm getting married soon for gently caress's sake, terminate the loop already.

One of my friends has a longtime girlfriend, actually kind of surprised they havn't gotten married yet, but I can't help but look at her and be very jealous of him. It's not really that i have crush or am in love with her or anything like that. I just really like her as a person. She's very attractive for sure but it's just something with her way of being that's extremely calming to me. I'm sure some of it is because I've known her for a long time and because she's always been involved with someone I know(there's a bit of a story here) that there were never room for anything but being friendly and that non-existent pressure to be something has turned into her being one of the few people I am comfortable being entirely myself with. I've known her for like 16-17 years or something and it was never a crush or anything more, she has just always been kind of an ideal.

I got a christmas card from them this christmas and it made me unreasonably happy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war
hello autists. nice thread you have here. I'd like to look some of you in the eye and discuss it amicably for a while

Halser
Aug 24, 2016

Karach posted:

hello autists. nice thread you have here. I'd like to look some of you in the eye and discuss it amicably for a while

I have sunglasses ready

mags
May 30, 2008

I am a congenital optimist.
the key to the eye contact puzzle is malicious compliance, a tactic that has served me well in my working life. in application to the social norm of eye contact while conversing; you maintain it to such an uncomfortable degree that neurotypicals break it first.

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war
Is there any connection between childhood trauma and autismogenesis (coining a term)? I definitely see some overlap in symptoms between cptsd folks and autism havers (some big differences too though). Not implying anything, just curious if anybody has read about this.

euroshopper
Aug 14, 2021

Karach posted:

Is there any connection between childhood trauma and autismogenesis (coining a term)? I definitely see some overlap in symptoms between cptsd folks and autism havers (some big differences too though). Not implying anything, just curious if anybody has read about this.

nah but some autistic ppl in abusive family situations might find it harder to cope with their symptoms though. mainly due to neglect ofc

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Karach posted:

No, autism can be identified very early in life (at 2 year IIRC) and it seems to be that you're born that way.

However, I only have ADHD, but thanks to abuse and social isolation, I got mashed into a shape that could fit in an autistic mold :v:

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012
The accuracy of an autism diagnosis at 2 years old is pretty questionable. Autism diagnoses are much less reliable for very young children compared to adolescents

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺

mags posted:

the key to the eye contact puzzle is malicious compliance, a tactic that has served me well in my working life. in application to the social norm of eye contact while conversing; you maintain it to such an uncomfortable degree that neurotypicals break it first.

when it comes to eye contact i simply look at people when they are saying something interesting and I look at other things when they are saying something boring, I'm unclear if this is a neurotypical approach or not.

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

unwantedplatypus posted:

The accuracy of an autism diagnosis at 2 years old is pretty questionable. Autism diagnoses are much less reliable for very young children compared to adolescents

i would've been ez diagnosed at two if anyone had checked

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

FirstnameLastname posted:

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war
interesting, thanks for the replies.

mags
May 30, 2008

I am a congenital optimist.

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

when it comes to eye contact i simply look at people when they are saying something interesting and I look at other things when they are saying something boring, I'm unclear if this is a neurotypical approach or not.

nah yr good im sure its enough. I’m just joking anyway.

the eye contact thing got better for me with age. nowadays it’s no big deal for me to make that contact in conversation, but unlike typicals my younger self had to work on it to really make it habitual like what comes easy for them

and I guess that’s the key to a lot of it. simply that some stuff comes easier to us and some of it is harder, like a alternate tuning on a guitar, which makes some chords almost impossible and others much much easier. same guitar, same capabilities but that alt tuning can really open up a lot of beautiful music the standard tuned guitar players can find difficult

Megamissen
Jul 19, 2022

any post can be a kannapost
if you want it to be

Halser
Aug 24, 2016

autism was basically unknown at the time, at least in my country.

it also didn't help that I learned to read and write earlier than other kids my age, which made them think "oh, so he's a weird genius or something, nice", solidifying that every quick was me being eccentric, and every academic and professional failure was just me being so smart I'm lazy

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

Halser posted:

it also didn't help that I learned to read and write earlier than other kids my age, which made them think "oh, so he's a weird genius or something, nice", solidifying that every quick was me being eccentric, and every academic and professional failure was just me being so smart I'm lazy

same i started reading and spelling spontaneously at about 18mo
people went oh wow what a smart kid
nobody considered how unusual it is for a toddler to quietly read through the dictionary alone, when they could be outside playing with other kids. lol.

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

same i started reading and spelling spontaneously at about 18mo
people went oh wow what a smart kid
nobody considered how unusual it is for a toddler to quietly read through the dictionary alone, when they could be outside playing with other kids. lol.

I was lucky my parents had one of those encyclopedia sets for god knows what reason, so I could just read those

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
if a single person had done their job i woulda been in foster care

alas,

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
I taught myself to read from about 2 years on the newspaper and eventually Dean Koontz novels and my parents were incredibly impressed and thought I was a genius but the joke was on them as an adult I have about the same level of reading comprehension as a Dean Koontz reader

One of my earliest memories is asking my mum to buy me the robocop 2 novelization at the supermarket when I was about 5 and she did because apparently she had never seen a robocop movie and that's how I learned what a hooker was

Jezza of OZPOS has issued a correction as of 02:09 on Jan 13, 2024

LuxuryLarva
Sep 8, 2023

Hot dude with a cool attitude.

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

and that's how I learned what a hooker was

Inspirational.

Halser
Aug 24, 2016

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

I taught myself to read from about 2 years on the newspaper and eventually Dean Koontz novels and my parents were incredibly impressed and thought I was a genius but the joke was on them as an adult I have about the same level of reading comprehension as a Dean Koontz reader

One of my earliest memories is asking my mum to buy me the robocop 2 novelization at the supermarket when I was about 5 and she did because apparently she had never seen a robocop movie and that's how I learned what a hooker was

Growing up with the internet and games was weird. I remember asking my dad about how babies are made, seeing him shift in discomfort and saying "through sex", and then I said "yeah I knew that already unsure why I asked"

MuffinsAndPie
May 20, 2015

I just really wanted to read the Rayman manual and Sonic comics by myself when I was like three and my sister would help teach

Whirling
Feb 23, 2023

I have activated the autistic urge to listen to a new song I like 40 times in a row, pray for me

Halser
Aug 24, 2016

MuffinsAndPie posted:

I just really wanted to read the Rayman manual and Sonic comics by myself when I was like three and my sister would help teach

for me it was the Majora's Mask manual, absolutely obsessed with that little booklet as a kid

Halser
Aug 24, 2016

Whirling posted:

I have activated the autistic urge to listen to a new song I like 40 times in a row, pray for me

cmon you can't say that and not share which song it is

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war
merry christmas, son. I got you this video game manual

https://oldgamesdownload.com/wp-content/uploads/Sid_Meiers_Alpha_Centauri_Manual_Win_EN.pdf

fanfic insert
Nov 4, 2009

Halser posted:

Growing up with the internet and games was weird. I remember asking my dad about how babies are made, seeing him shift in discomfort and saying "through sex", and then I said "yeah I knew that already unsure why I asked"

at like 6 or 7 i was left unsupervised and somehow managed to get online through dial-up and a couple weeks later my mother got an invoice from sexbomb dot com or something like that. she confronted me about it and i was all "what even is that?"

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001
as an autist with adhd... I hate packing/moving

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

Second Hand Meat Mouth posted:

it sux

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
I learned to read at two and started surfing the web at three. My memory is not so good for childhood stuff for a very normal reason but I think I was posting by kindergarten.

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Got my mind on doritos and doritos on my mind.
normies love packing and moving

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

slave to my cravings posted:

normies love packing and moving

that's right

ProperGanderPusher
Jan 13, 2012

I daydream about living somewhere else constantly but the act of actually moving and getting used to a new area makes me want to die.

Also none of my personal problems are solved even though my brain insists they would be if I just hosed off somewhere new. After living in several different regions I’ve learned people are the same no matter where you go and I’m going to be a square peg no matter what so I just tell my intrusive thoughts to take a long walk off a short pier.

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022
and thats why i paly video games

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

i'm fine with it, but i particularly hate when people take their sweet time. my roommate was moving out during college and left all these boxes of packed and half-packed poo poo cluttering up the place and living room for like 2 weeks. i was going insane

i just get ir done asap. pack everything up quickly rihgt before move, then dont care how long it takes to unpack: bring everything in and unpack from dusk till dawn pulling an allnighter if i need to. the worst is when things are half-packed or sitting around packed

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

Xaris posted:

left all these boxes of packed and half-packed poo poo cluttering up the place and living room for like 2 weeks. i was going insane

this is where we're at now because we need to get this stuff packed but can't move until start of february

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022
i moved my stuff into a tiny little warm room bc everywhere else is too cold
but it's cozy:3:

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022
xant get the heat to go above about 55-60 anywhere downstairs n its about 1° outside but its nice in this toasty room w/ slanted walls (very cozy) and feels like frostpunk having to gear up ⁴ snacks

Megamissen
Jul 19, 2022

any post can be a kannapost
if you want it to be

my ideal appartment would be very small but with a large luxurious bathroom

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

Megamissen posted:

my ideal appartment would be very small but with a large luxurious bathroom

id sleep in the crevice as a kid like charlie from its always sunny