Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Mad Hamish posted:

I am moderately certain that in grade 7 or 8 I was required to read a book that actually was written by a Black man whose title was simply the N-word. I'm not going to try and figure out who the author of this was because I can't think of any way of putting that into Google that won't feel indescribably shameful and racist.

Randall Kennedy, maybe?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Fried Watermelon posted:

I would have liked her sci-fi stuff in my 9th grade english class

Absolutely, that wasn't meant as an ironic post. The Parable books are probably too heavy, but there's a lot of cool poo poo in the Lilith's novels, and any short story from the Bloodchild collection.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

"I developed a military fetish while living in Kingston" - many such cases.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Precambrian Video Games posted:

RMC is right there. It checks out. :v:

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Mad Hamish posted:

I am moderately certain that in grade 7 or 8 I was required to read a book that actually was written by a Black man whose title was simply the N-word. I'm not going to try and figure out who the author of this was because I can't think of any way of putting that into Google that won't feel indescribably shameful and racist.

I tried “author of book that starts with n and rhymes with tigger” and only got some real hateful Winnie the Pooh content

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Mad Hamish posted:

Dick Gregory. Comedian and civil rights activist who wrote an autobiography with that title.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dick_Gregory#Bibliography

a primate
Jun 2, 2010

goons are afraid of googling swears in 2024

N*****: The Strange Career of a Troublesome Word
by Randall Kennedy

No asterisks obviously but I fear the ban hammer

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Madkal posted:

Dick Gregory. Comedian and civil rights activist who wrote an autobiography with that title.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dick_Gregory#Bibliography

That's the one! Couldn't remember the dude's name, what with reading it almost thirty years ago and all.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?
Ed Broadbent has died.

https://www.ctvnews.ca/politics/former-ndp-leader-ed-broadbent-dead-at-87-1.6721821

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

War gives the right to the conquerors to impose any condition they please upon the vanquished.

a primate posted:

N*****: The Strange Career of a Troublesome Word
by Randall Kennedy

I wouldn't probe you in this context, but given the sensitive nature I also can't guarantee that a mod wouldn't come in here and gently caress poo poo up on my turf.

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

Precambrian Video Games posted:

Canadian military officials are incapable passing on a chance for public embarrassment. The story, for those who missed it:

https://ottawacitizen.com/news/nati...nadian-soldiers

A Kingston area sex worker, who focuses her efforts on members of the Canadian military and provides them discounts, came to the attention of military police.

The military police didn't like what she was doing. Unfortunately for them, a) she's a civilian and not subject to their authority and b) it's legal in Canada. But they couldn't let it go, so the military police decided the best course of action was to inform members of the military in Kingston that this woman exists and what she does - and that they had better stay away from her. This went exactly as anyone who is not a member the military police would have expected; now she's making bank.

Again, back to the never missing an opportunity for embarrassment part, with plan a) having gone exactly as a reasonable person would have expected but exactly the opposite of what they wanted, the military police decided they should start threatening the sex worker. They told her she needed to stop or she could face prosecution under s. 419 of the Criminal code (wearing a uninform without lawful authority) and 286 (advertising her services - because she left a business card at the base). The sex worker took this to the press. Her story is now running worldwide.

On top of the questionable use of government resources, prosecuting someone under section 419 would not necessarily go as the military police expect. Section 419 clearly infringes section 2(B) of the Charter (freedom of expression). And while there's undoubtable a rational connection between prohibiting wearing a military's uniform it and the important goal of noting having fake soldiers running around, that's not the end of the analysis. To the extent it is a violation of s. 419 to pose in a military uniform, in private, and take a picture, and upload that picture to the internet alongside text making clear the person is not a member of the military - well, what exactly is the reason that activity would be prohibited? What's the harm? And with no obvious answer, that means there's a problem with whether the law minimally impairs rights. Seems quite possible prosecuting someone under that provision would just result in the law being read down.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

MikeC posted:

Relax, I work in this space. A few pilot projects are being worked on. The closures affect independent "franchised" ServiceOntario offices that were already under private operation. AFAIK, no union jobs are at risk.

edit: Once more of this goes public with details I'll be happy to share more about what is going on. I don't want to unintentionally dox myself.

Forgive me, but when someone who's politics I generally strongly disagree with tells me to relax it's going to be fine, I do not trust that your & my view of what is fine is actually the same.

I am hopeful more details will show that this isn't an issue at all, but with the OPC's at the helm I'm not holding my breath.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

On a side note, I'm kind of annoyed I got a mail that i need to update my photo card, and that I can do it online or go to a service ontario location.

When I do it online I just get a non descriptive error that tells me to go do it in person.

Don't really understand why?? It's literally the first time I'm renewing the dang thing, nothing should have changed details wise.

a primate posted:

Feels ironic if not a self-callout.

Oxyclean fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Jan 12, 2024

a primate
Jun 2, 2010

Oxyclean posted:

Feels ironic if not a self-callout.

I’m more worried about paying :10bux: than my google history

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

TrueChaos posted:

Forgive me, but when someone who's politics I generally strongly disagree with tells me to relax it's going to be fine, I do not trust that your & my view of what is fine is actually the same.

I am hopeful more details will show that this isn't an issue at all, but with the OPC's at the helm I'm not holding my breath.

Great so you know absolutely nothing about the details but you will assume poo poo just because you don't like me. Actually, it sounds par for the course in this thread including people who nobly claim to have read a news article from a publication they don't like to score internet points..... but didn't ....but I digress

------------

Ok, now that this has blown up on Global Evening News, I'll share my thoughts and insights on this. Reference link (among many) https://toronto.citynews.ca/2024/01/11/11-serviceontario-locations-to-close/

When most people go to a "ServiceOntario" office, they are not visiting a government office. They are actually visiting an office run by a private contractor providing services on behalf of ServiceOntario (SO). The vast majority of these were converted Ministry of Transportation Offices licensed out to private contractors way back before I was in the workforce. When the Government of Ontario (GO) merged public-facing services under the umbrella of SO sometime in the early 2010s, they were swept up in the change and inherited Health Card services as well. Old Health Card offices that were still under the direction of operation of the GO staffed by OPSEU continued to exist with many of them taking and learning MTO-related tasks during the transitions just as privatized MTO staff had to learn MHLTC tasks. The distinction can still be seen in these private vs public SO offices if you go onto ontario.ca and search for "a ServiceOntario location that provides the full-suite of health card services". https://www.services.gov.on.ca/sf/#/oneServiceDetail/13400/ip/ls

You know these are publicly run because privately run offices are not trusted with certain health card tasks (like assigning a time-limited health card for people on work permits that expire). They also run only M-F 8:30 to 5:00pm. If you visit any office with these hours it is a surefire sign those are OPSEU staffed offices. Privately run SO offices are obligated to run 46 hours including a "late day" on Thursdays and 4 hours on Saturdays though they may choose to operate longer if they wish. Privately run SO offices are compensated by a commission system per transaction they do. While COVID was happening, GO would compensate private SO offices with a top-up fund if lack of foot traffic meant the economic viability of these offices was in question.

The majority of these private SOs are run by small-time contractors, often a family-run business or a sole proprietor, who have had the contract extended with the GO for decades. If you ever wonder why service at SOs are so lovely and "rules" often carry from office to office, this is the core reason why (well there are other reasons too but I'll get into that if you want to know more). Because these are private businesses that hire staff independent of GO, there is no formal training that many of these staffers get. A lot of it is ad hoc and the offices being privatized means the owners are incentivized to hire the cheapest possible labour and crank out as many transactions as they can (commission). Many operators at these counters do not, and never have had, extensive knowledge of the full and incredibly dense set of rules that govern public/GO interactions for services. As a result customer experience is terrible and inconsistent. There is an internal GO auditing staff run out of the MTO that should keep an eye on these private offices to ensure quality of service and adherence to policy is met but in my experience, most of these auditors are not very good and do not do a good job at enforcing the rules. Even if they did, staff turnover (low pay, no benefits, poor training) is so high that it is very difficult to keep staff that have the wherewithal to self-train to a higher standard on payroll.

I guarantee you no OPSEU members are losing their jobs. If they were, you would have heard about this firestorm back in December when the offices received notice that their contract would not be renewed. Existing staff members at these private SOs were directed to apply to Staples and would be given preferential hiring treatment. It is almost a certainty that everyone who got moved over is getting a better deal even if it isn't necessarily a huge pay bump but they will get benefits coverage and also additional protection under ESA and common law when it comes to severance should they be let go (ESA states that business smaller than 25 people only need to give Termination Pay or working notice and can forgo Severence pay).

On many levels, this makes sense for all parties involved. The GO was not raising commission rates for transactions at a pace commensurate with inflation and that along with rising labour costs and retail rental costs, was making these private SOs economically unfeasible for the contractors that were used to literally sit back and do nothing but hire staff at min wage or close to it and just print money while their staffers did a poo poo job with no training. With rising costs they felt they were getting squeezed. Enter Staples who already runs a retail business with all the overhead of needing a facility accounted for. All they need to do to harvest sweet sweet GO money is to hiring staff and they get the side benefit of foot traffic moving through their stores. It is unlikely that Staples is going to get a huge chunk of money out of GO, in fact, for the GO, this will almost certainly save long term fees as they can hold the line on transaction commissions paid out while stabilizing and can start phasing out the most problematic private operators who had to use the commission money not only to pay staff, but to make profit for themselves AND pay for rental space.

I cannot confirm all 11 locations in the link I posted as accurate but I know some of them are accurate and you can gauge from that list which Staples stores are getting the pilot projects. I can also confirm that these guys are getting FORMAL TRAINING unlike the ad-hoc bullshit that used to occur. Now, IMO, the OPSEU front line customer service operators are also loving poo poo and don't know what they are doing or following policy (first hand experience here) but at least they get a loving training course to go through before they are sat in front of the public with tiers of operators in ascending competency before they let you handle the most sensitive stuff. Ex if you are a new OPSEU hire at an SO, you are doing the CSR 1 level stuff which is the most basic and least sensitive to mistakes.

I am not privy to what process was used to select Staples. Knowing old Dougie, it was probably corrupt poo poo but I will refrain from making accusations because I know nothing about this process but sole source stinks. I can appreciate however the GO being very selective about who they partner up with. They need to have enough retail locations already in the right places for a transition period. Overall I believe this will be a win for everyone involved if the pilot projects succeed (and they have low bar to cross IMO). GO gets cost certainty, Staples gets foot traffic at minimal expense, the public rid themselves of greedy fucks who milk GO by hiring the worst of the worst staff and just rolling GO money while providing poo poo services. Long term, OPSEU should be concerned though. It won't be now but if this works and the level of service doesn't decrease or suffer in quality (from the already poo poo bag level it is now), I can easily see GO continuing these squeeze more publicly run SO offices out of existence. But for now they are safe.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Congrats, or I'm sorry that happened, I dunno, I ain't reading all that poo poo.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
You live in Alberta, it really doesn't matter to you.

We're moving already privatized Service Ontario locations into kiosks in Staples stores. There's a 11 location pilot, probably a lot more will be moved if there's no pushback on this, but it's a lateral move as far as privatization goes.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

infernal machines posted:

You live in Alberta, it really doesn't matter to you.

We're moving already privatized Service Ontario locations into kiosks in Staples stores. There's a 11 location pilot, probably a lot more will be moved if there's no pushback on this, but it's a lateral move as far as privatization goes.

No, I gathered that much, and I already gave my take on it. My general take on it is that privatizing those services is essentially bullshit but not in a way that I care about, since it's either I pay the service provider or pay the government directly. Our equivalent in Alberta is privatized, and it works well enough. But I do have an issue with associating these privatized service providers with a store, and even moreso, with a specific chain of stores.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
Give it a month or two and probably enough noise will be made that the auditor general will investigate it and find a bunch of obvious bullshit in the process and the Government of Ontario will quietly shelve the thing for a while.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

Give it a month or two and probably enough noise will be made that the auditor general will investigate it and find a bunch of obvious bullshit in the process and the Government of Ontario will quietly shelve the thing for a while.

It can't get shelved, they are going live very very soon and the offices are closing the same day this goes live. There is no turning back. I can't give the date because that isn't public info yet.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

War gives the right to the conquerors to impose any condition they please upon the vanquished.
So I refuse to read. will there be government employees staffing the kiosks or will it be the same people trying to sell you extended warranties?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

MikeC posted:

It can't get shelved, they are going live very very soon and the offices are closing the same day this goes live. There is no turning back. I can't give the date because that isn't public info yet.

The pilot is going live or we're going hell for leather and moving every Service Ontario franchise into a Staples?

I realize you probably don't want to answer that directly, but it's a pretty big difference.

ZShakespeare posted:

So I refuse to read. will there be government employees staffing the kiosks or will it be the same people trying to sell you extended warranties?

There aren't government employees staffing the Service Ontario locations now, so, no, probably still minimum wage workers. They may or may not be Staples employees.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

We should really just nationalize Canadian Tire and make them the one stop shop for everything.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

I think we'd save a lot of time and effort if we just privatized Canada instead.

Think of the value we'd create!

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I think we'd save a lot of time and effort if we just privatized Canada instead.

Think of the value we'd create!

They tried that for like 200 years and a whole bunch of people died.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

You're right, The Hudson Bay company is the natural choice, they have domain experience.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

ZShakespeare posted:

I watched titanic in 10th grade and they didn't even fast forward past the tiddy scene! Now I'm a degenerate pervert!

hell yeah same

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Anybody interested in starting up a shell corp to get a $200k grant for "mining exploration"?

The Globe and Mail posted:

The Ontario government recently provided funding to mining exploration companies called Griftco Corp. and Money Money Money.

The Ontario Junior Exploration Program (OJEP) allocates taxpayer funds to junior mining companies for exploration projects. Under the program, companies can apply to receive up to $200,000 per mining project, and up to $10,000 for supporting Indigenous employment.

One of the roughly 100 companies to receive funding under OJEP last year was a privately held exploration-stage mining company called Griftco. It received $66,035.

The word “grift” means to engage in petty or small-scale swindling. The Canadian mining industry has a reputation for swindling investors, most notably the late 1990s Bre-X Minerals Ltd. scam, which resulted in the loss of roughly $6-billion of investor capital when it was revealed that the company’s massive gold discovery in Indonesia was a hoax.

Bay street lawyer Chris Irwin is one of the principals behind Griftco. In an interview, he said the name has a perfectly innocent explanation, has nothing to do with ripping people off, and was inspired by a funny acquaintance.

“I had a friend called Alastair Griffin, who had a phone message that when you called, it said, ‘Thank you for reaching Griftco, all our agents are busy,’ ” he said. “We sort of had a running joke about that, and then I said, ‘I’m going to steal the name,’ so I incorporated the company and now I have the name.”

Griftco didn’t start out as a mining company, but as a shell. Around 2008, Griftco bought the Butt minerals exploration property in the Nipissing district in northeastern Ontario, where uranium was discovered in the early 1900s. Mr. Irwin says he has put a lot of his own personal money into the property over the years.

Mr. Irwin, who works for Toronto-based boutique law firm Irwin Lowy LLP, has worked a securities lawyer for the junior mining sector since the late 1990s. One of his areas of expertise is helping private companies go public using shell structures and reverse takeovers. Through that work, he has served as an officer or board member with numerous mining exploration companies over the years, including Trelawney Mining and Exploration Inc., which was acquired by Iamgold Corp. for $600-million in 2012.

Griftco itself has done several transactions with various counterparties in recent years, including an options agreement with Latin American Minerals Inc. in 2018 and another options deal with Canoe Mining Ventures Corp. in 2022.

Mr. Irwin says that nobody at those companies ever raised concerns about the optics of doing a deal with Griftco.

“It’s probably my reputation that people know it’s ironic,” he said through spurts of laughter.

The Ontario government didn’t raise concerns about the Griftco name when it applied for funding for the Butt property under OJEP last year, Mr. Irwin said.

George Pirie, Ontario’s Minister of Mines, declined to comment.

Another curiously named company to receive money under the Ontario funding program in 2023 for junior miners was Money Money Money, a privately held entity based in Wawa. It received $27,494. According to the Ontario Business Registry, Money Money Money was registered last year by prospector James Rastel. Mr. Rastel could not be reached for comment.

As it is a private company, there is very little public information about Money Money Money.

To apply for funding under Ontario’s program, companies must be worth less than $100-million, provide proof they have the wherewithal to pay for 100 per cent of the project’s costs and hold the appropriate permits for exploration.

With a report by Stephanie Chambers.

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_p_FHTV2RSA

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

MikeC posted:

I am not privy to what process was used to select Staples.

It's Doug Ford. Take a wild guess.

https://vxtwitter.com/Eric_OTooleMP/status/1745522404107890719

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
See the corrupt procurement process that favours a large multinational corporation whose profits are funnelled out of the province and the country instead of small businesses whose profits generally stay within the province/country is good because rather than enforcing service standards for providers we can just leverage a large corporation with training.

What else is a very large corporation with training... hmmm... what could it be....

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

https://twitter.com/Eric_OTooleMP/status/1745522404107890719

Shocked Pikachu face.

I mean, if enough people get obviously angry at the known criminal Doug Ford he'll backtrack, just like with his Greenbelt idiocy.

Edit: dammit, beaten.

Guigui
Jan 19, 2010
Winner of January '10 Lux Aeterna "Best 2010 Poster" Award

Muscle Tracer posted:

Anybody interested in starting up a shell corp to get a $200k grant for "mining exploration"?

I'm more interested in what "Butt minerals" was mining.

tagesschau
Sep 1, 2006
Guten Abend, meine Damen und Herren.

flakeloaf posted:

It's Doug Ford. Take a wild guess.

Ontario granted taxpayer funds to mining exploration companies called Griftco and Money Money Money

edit: whoops, a search for "threadid:3969026 griftco" turned up completely empty prior to my posting this

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

I also came here searching for "butt minerals exploration".

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

Don't be an rear end and just quote the sentence immediately after as well. TIA.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Don't call me names because I threw the stone you were afraid to lift. HTH.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
I would simply avoid accusations of impropriety by making the process as transparent as possible with a robust communications plan.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Consolidation of the already badly privatized services to a single provider is good. Signing what appears to be a sole sourced deal with your buddy is not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.

Muscle Tracer posted:

I don't know what it takes to get a mining permit or how much work is involved in this whole process but even if Money Money Money is a grift it doesn't seem very lucrative.