Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DeepDickPizza
Oct 11, 2012

THREE TIME! THREE TIME!
Having six 1 WAR infielders rotating in your corner spots is the new market inefficiency.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

If he can play 3B, then I'm cool with the trade I guess. But if they're just sticking him at 1B, I don't get it since you already have Mervis. Plus 1B is not exactly a tough position to fill.

I guess what bums me out is it gets them out of having to spend money. A little worried this will be the left handed power bat if they won't sign Bellinger.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

DeepDickPizza posted:

Having six 1 WAR infielders rotating in your corner spots is the new market inefficiency.

That's 6 wins already!

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Popete posted:

It's weird to call him a AAAA guy when he hasn't had enough MLB ABs to really say anything about him.

It's incredible, especially given how it seems like nobody doing it knew who Busch was prior to this trade?

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Thank you for the Mervposting on the previous page. I like when you guys have fun.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yankees are definitely getting Stroman. Yankee media is working over time to excuse his “antics” and defuse criticism.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
I'd rather sign Stroman than Snell

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

Busch in 89 MLB PAs: .167/.247/.292
Mervis in 99 MLB PAs: .167/.242/.289

Chill out, everyone

:hmmyes:

Inspector_666 posted:

It's incredible, especially given how it seems like nobody doing it knew who Busch was prior to this trade?

I’m in a dynasty fantasy league and already had Busch on my roster :colbert: He’s not a star but he’ll be fine

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
I knew who Busch was because he was just listed at #1 on Foolish Bailey's "Top 10 prospects older than Juan Soto" video :v:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hywpQZSeXY8

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Nodoze posted:

I'm fine with Stroman for a year or maybe two, but it will be hilarious seeing him opt-out and not get a long-term deal and potentially less money than the Cubs would have given him.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

The Yankees apparently offered Snell a contract but it was not close to what he wants

https://twitter.com/mlbtraderumors/status/1745596869743444383?s=20

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

The vibe I get is that Stroman is close to done but they just have had opening talks with Snell. My guess is they’ll sign Stroman and try and use that as leverage to get Snell to panic and take a lower deal. Maybe something like the Imanaga deal with opt outs and stuff.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

bawfuls posted:

Still convinced that was a shady side-deal where they only signed Alvarez in order to trade him to Houston.

You don't trade an international amateur a month after signing him.

You seem determined to die on this hill but even if it were somehow true it would still mean the Dodgers completely missed on what they had in Yordan and dealt him in a lopsided trade

Intruder fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Jan 12, 2024

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

STAC Goat posted:

The vibe I get is that Stroman is close to done but they just have had opening talks with Snell. My guess is they’ll sign Stroman and try and use that as leverage to get Snell to panic and take a lower deal. Maybe something like the Imanaga deal with opt outs and stuff.

Stroman was elite for like 100 innings last year, as in legit competing for the Cy elite, but then he hurt his rib somehow and just absolutely fell apart. If he can actually stay healthy there's no reason to think he'll be cooked or anything close. I am curious to see what kind of deal he's sniffing for after turning down what was effectively a 1/21 contract to stick with Chicago. Normally I'd say there's no way he'll get up to that AAV in the market given how badly he imploded in the second half but the market has also been juiced as hell for arms so who knows.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

I think it’s a very stupid bit of GM back room dealing.

I refuse to believe the Dodgers scouted and signed an international guy and then changed their mind on him a month later before they’d have any chance to really work on him or evaluate him in their system.

That’s what desperate FO’s do without a coherent plan, and the Alvarez deal happened several years into Friedman’s tenure.

It’s still a bad look because why are you cutting dumbass back room deals like that in the first place?

But I think it’s more likely that they basically didn’t scout the guy at all than that they scouted him, decided they liked him, signed him, then changed their mind a month later.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Sydin posted:

Stroman was elite for like 100 innings last year, as in legit competing for the Cy elite, but then he hurt his rib somehow and just absolutely fell apart. If he can actually stay healthy there's no reason to think he'll be cooked or anything close. I am curious to see what kind of deal he's sniffing for after turning down what was effectively a 1/21 contract to stick with Chicago. Normally I'd say there's no way he'll get up to that AAV in the market given how badly he imploded in the second half but the market has also been juiced as hell for arms so who knows.

I'm in shock that the Yankees just signed Luke Weaver to a 1 year/$2m deal. I didn't think a 1/2 deal was even possible these days.

It's practically a minor-league deal!

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/JeffPassan/status/1745610077455729066

https://twitter.com/Joelsherman1/status/1745610896523583551

Vertical Lime fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Jan 12, 2024

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

bawfuls posted:

I think it’s a very stupid bit of GM back room dealing.

I refuse to believe the Dodgers scouted and signed an international guy and then changed their mind on him a month later before they’d have any chance to really work on him or evaluate him in their system.

That’s what desperate FO’s do without a coherent plan, and the Alvarez deal happened several years into Friedman’s tenure.

It’s still a bad look because why are you cutting dumbass back room deals like that in the first place?

But I think it’s more likely that they basically didn’t scout the guy at all than that they scouted him, decided they liked him, signed him, then changed their mind a month later.

Ok so instead of making a stupid mistake the Dodgers made a stupid mistake while also being shady

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah? That’s exactly what bawfuls said?

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

That the new arb record?

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
I'll be shocked if the Yankees don't ultimately sign either Snell or Montgomery.

They have to sign a big ticket free agent

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

STAC Goat posted:

Yeah? That’s exactly what bawfuls said?

Seems like he's trying to absolve them of trading Yordan for nothing by saying they made an underhanded deal to trade him for nothing, it's weird

e: the simplest explanation is the one they gave: they needed a hard throwing bullpen arm, they had a young player who had yet to show any kind of power and was years away from being able to contribute to what was already a WS contender, they made the deal

Intruder fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Jan 12, 2024

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

That the new arb record?

it is

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Intruder posted:

Seems like he's trying to absolve them of trading Yordan for nothing by saying they made an underhanded deal to trade him for nothing, it's weird

e: the simplest explanation is the one they gave: they needed a hard throwing bullpen arm, they had a young player who had yet to show any kind of power and was years away from being able to contribute to what was already a WS contender, they made the deal

It reads to me that he’s saying he doesn’t believe they did X because it just doesn’t make sense but he does believe they did Y because it makes more sense even if it’s still stupid and bonus shady. But he’s specifically called his scenario stupid and shady. So he doesn’t seem to be trying to absolve the Dodgers of anything. He just think they did something bad in a different way.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Inspector_666 posted:

I'm fine with Stroman for a year or maybe two, but it will be hilarious seeing him opt-out and not get a long-term deal and potentially less money than the Cubs would have given him.

I can't fathom a scenario where he doesn't make $21 million guaranteed in a contract.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Nodoze posted:

Starting to fear Stroman will never achieve his destiny of becoming Astroman :smith:

STAC Goat posted:

It reads to me that he’s saying he doesn’t believe they did X because it just doesn’t make sense but he does believe they did Y because it makes more sense even if it’s still stupid and bonus shady. But he’s specifically called his scenario stupid and shady. So he doesn’t seem to be trying to absolve the Dodgers of anything. He just think they did something bad in a different way.

Well I'm not going to argue about it anymore, it's such a small thing. I just think the conspiracy thing is weird but :shrug: no skin off my back

Intruder fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Jan 12, 2024

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Intruder posted:

The Dodgers signed Alvarez on June 15th 2016 and traded him to Houston on August 1st 2016. He didn't play even a single game of affiliated ball before they traded him. That's not a "oh who do we have lying around that's a long ways off who we don't care about to throw in here" kind of move, that's a guy they acquired for the specific purpose of trading to Houston.

You don't sign a player and then trade him before he even appears in a minor league game for you unless you are like Dick Monfort levels of disorganized and incompetent.

The Dodgers are not that scatterbrained, but they certainly are shady enough to agree to sign a guy with extra IFA money to do another GM a solid and expect some later tit-for-tat.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Yeah as someone who doesn't care about either team involved it seems pretty transparent that is what happened. Well I don't know if they signed a guy on June 15 planning that far in advance to include him in a deadline deal with Houston specifically 6 weeks later. But it seems obvious that rather than just lose the rest of their international pool for the year when there weren't any more international prospects they were super sweet on, they just signed a decent looking prospect other teams wanted for the purpose of trading him.

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Jan 12, 2024

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

They could see whether or not he had power when they scouted him but like I said, whatever, I'm not going to argue over this blueanon poo poo anymore

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Nodoze posted:

huh?

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

Let the burning of pants commence. These things drive me nuts.

https://twitter.com/TalkinYanks/status/1745619911865434588?s=20

https://twitter.com/BryanHoch/status/1745622657461043445?s=20

Probably can’t trust Stroman on social media so unsure if this is just a troll

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
The Yankees used to not sign assholes on purpose. They have no coherent plan or anything like that. They are just throwing darts against the wall and hope it works out. Cashman didn't just become a good GM magically by trading for Soto.

mcmagic fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Jan 12, 2024

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Did he wipe his instagram afterwards cause I'm seeing zero posts

e: and I mean literally

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Intruder posted:

They could see whether or not he had power when they scouted him but like I said, whatever, I'm not going to argue over this blueanon poo poo anymore
My point is that they likely didn't scout him.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/JeffPassan/status/1745624998851514446

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
So there's that

https://twitter.com/JeffPassan/status/1745624998851514446?s=20

Also seeing "two years with an option for a third."

Interested to see what type of option, and how much.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I don't keep up so why do people think Stroman is a shithead anyway, the only thing I know him for is talking crazy amounts of poo poo to Zack Hample which is fine by me

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

I really despise Brian Cashman so loving much. What a complete dogshit garbage GM. It's INCREDIBLE that he's still emlpoyed.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Heyman says 2 years plus a vesting option

Intruder posted:

I don't keep up so why do people think Stroman is a shithead anyway, the only thing I know him for is talking crazy amounts of poo poo to Zack Hample which is fine by me
Said some stuff supporting Kyrie during his antisemitism thing, I forget what else

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
2/37 for Stroman

e. https://twitter.com/Joelsherman1/status/1745625717142958507?s=20