Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Frosted Flake posted:

But there was no Ukrainian nation to speak of because the partitions of Poland had just happened, and there was not yet a literate Galician middle class. Similarly, the Baltics had just traded hands between Sweden, Prussia, and Russia, and there was no literate Baltic middle class.

Weren't the Baltics rife with German nobles?

Like even now there's a lot of people with suspiciously German last names from there.

Cerebral Bore posted:

yeah, after russia conquered the baltics the dominant class there was the baltic german aristocracy, who were extremely overprivileged and had absolutely zero reason to cooperate with napoleon

Oh I see.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Orange Devil posted:

Weren't the Baltics rife with German nobles?

Like even now there's a lot of people with suspiciously German last names from there.

I'm assuming we have the Teutonic Knights to thank for that one

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
them and the hanseatic league

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes

Cerebral Bore posted:

yeah, after russia conquered the baltics the dominant class there was the baltic german aristocracy, who were extremely overprivileged and had absolutely zero reason to cooperate with napoleon

Also the senior officer corps Russian army of the Napoleonic era was disproportionately full of non-Russians, the commander in chief when Napoleon invaded (Barclay De Tully) was German speaking and of Scottish descent and born in modern day Poland

all of whom served extremely loyally despite it being accused of treason for adopting a Fabian strategy when Napoleon invaded because "cowardly/treasonous foreigners are giving away Russian land!"

that's actually why Kutuzov (an ethnic Russian) was put in charge and why Borodino happened: most of the Russian generals (ethnic Russian or not) knew they had to use attrition to wear down Napoleon before fighting a big set-piece battle.

But it was just politically unpopular to just give up territory. So they made a stand at Borodino knowing they were prob gonna lose because they were scared that there would be revolts if they gave up Moscow without a fight.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

For sure. They had a dynastic conception of the individual and the state, not a nationalist one. In the century that had just ended you had the Dutch army full of Germans, Switzers, Scottish and Swedes, commanded by officers from any combination of them, and that's without getting into the Irish, Danes, and French that seemed to be everywhere.

Just think of one of Britains greatest defeats of the period, Almansa.

Who commanded the victorious French army?

James FitzJames, 1st Duke of Berwick, the illegitimate son of King James II and VII by Arabella Churchill, sister of the 1st Duke of Marlborough.

So the son of the King of England and the sister of Marlborough, the British commander in the same war, was one of France's greatest generals. Berwick was Marlborough's nephew. Long before he had become a Marshal of France, he had remained in contact with his uncle's family when they were in exile, when the siege at Lille began. Berwick sent an equerry to purchase some horses from the Allies. Furthermore, his widowed mother married Colonel Godfrey of the English army. In 1710, the Tories won the election, sweeping away Protestant opposition to a peace with France. Berwick, encouraged by Louis XIV, planned an army to invade England. With Marlborough out of favour, France was saved the indignity of defeat.

Who was the opposing Grand Alliance's greatest commander?

Eugene of Savoy.

Savoy was a French ally. Eugene was brought up in the court of King Louis XIV of France. Based on the custom that the youngest sons of noble families were destined for the priesthood, the Prince was initially prepared for a clerical career, but by the age of 19, he had determined on a military career. Based on his poor physique and bearing, and perhaps due to a scandal involving his mother Olympe, he was rejected by Louis for service in the French Royal Army. Eugene moved to Austria and transferred his loyalty to the Holy Roman Empire.

Eugene crossed the Alps with some 30,000 men in May/June 1701. After a series of brilliant manoeuvres the Imperial commander defeated Catinat at the Battle of Carpi on 9 July. "I have warned you that you are dealing with an enterprising young prince", wrote Louis XIV to his commander, "he does not tie himself down to the rules of war." On 1 September Eugene defeated Catinat's successor, Marshal Villeroi, at the Battle of Chiari, in a clash as destructive as any in the Italian theatre.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Well, this game is getting hilarious. The Archduke just invited Otto von Bismarck to join after he got exiled from the NGF. Probably had something to do with Prussian Bavaria.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

quote:

While detailed in its planning, Napoleon’s plan envisioned a relatively short campaign
of no more than a month or so.

Sounds familiar

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Orange Devil posted:

Stoke the flames of nationalism in the Polish parts, the Ukrainian parts, the Baltic parts etc.

Or you know, figure out a way to achieve detente.

Nationalism was only just becoming a thing at that point.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

KomradeX posted:

Nationalism was only just becoming a thing at that point.

Still a better idea than invading Russia.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Orange Devil posted:

Still a better idea than invading Russia.

lmao

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

my dad posted:

If you can endure him being somewhat of an edgelord, BeastyQT (A Serbian player who I think is something like 2nd or 3rd best ranking AoE4 player) has a bunch of very good multiplayer guides on his Youtube channel.

I mostly know the guy back from his Starcraft 2 days, when he did challenges like "sentry only to grandmaster" which other SC2 youtubers later picked up on

:cheers:, i will check them out

i remember way back in the voobly aoe2 scene, i learned to play watching this older serbian player named daut

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

gradenko_2000 posted:

The AOE 2 campaigns are very good: they're deep enough to be a legitimate challenge, but not so demanding that you need to be multiplayer-competitive to stand a chance. I played through the Italian and Byzantine campaigns last year and it was great. I think over the lifetime of the game they've added a campaign for every civilization by now, which is an incredible amount of single-player content even if you never dip your toes into multiplayer.

The Byzantines are probably my favorite civ because I like avoiding gold-cost units altogether, so the cheap trash spam means you always have an army at the ready.

theyre really good, i was completely blown away by what they added in the expansions to that game

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
I still can't believe this game from 1999 is not only still being played, but also getting full fledged expansions with voiced campaigns

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

AnimeIsTrash posted:

:cheers:, i will check them out

i remember way back in the voobly aoe2 scene, i learned to play watching this older serbian player named daut

Daut is still active! They did really well in the recent Titan's League

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=QuxaNI9tVEw

Yadoppsi
May 10, 2009

BearsBearsBears posted:

It feels like this would have been a lot easier to accomplish with diplomacy. Did he try any of that?

Haha he did, but he sent the best diplomat in Europe, Tallyrand to do it. An ex-noble ex-bishop who survived working for the French crown, the Jacobins, the Directory, and Napoleon by knowing exactly when to switch sides. Turns out Tallyrand was secretly telling the Russians to not take the deal the same time he was publicly trying to negotiate it.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Rereading the Chain of Command rulebook and this thing is so badly written its almost charming. What jumped out this time is close assaults have a bonus if you attack infantry in the rear, but I'm pretty sure facing is defined nowhere else in the rules

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

Frosted Flake posted:

For sure. They had a dynastic conception of the individual and the state, not a nationalist one. In the century that had just ended you had the Dutch army full of Germans, Switzers, Scottish and Swedes, commanded by officers from any combination of them, and that's without getting into the Irish, Danes, and French that seemed to be everywhere.

And in some cases, like Russia, it was actually pretty convenient they were foreigners

like Tsar Alexander I knew his generals were right: they had to trade space for time before confronting Napoleon directly, but doing so was very unpopular and unpopular Tsars (like his father) gets assassinated

so a bunch of expats were convenient political scapegoats for an unpopular yet effective strategy

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

gradenko_2000 posted:

I've read more than one history of the Battle of Borodino, and some speculation on what Napoleon could have done better, but I haven't really read anyone even make a guess as to what Napoleon could have done to "win" in Russia in terms of accomplishing his political goals

free the serfs wherever the French armies went and start a social revolution in Russia would have being interesting, even if it doesn't really achieve his initial objective of keeping the Tsarist regime intact but compliant with the continental system

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

did that board game where it's 1944-1945 and the players are us and ussr controlling the half of germany furtherest from them to delay their opponents ever come out

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
I think so? The name you're looking for is Downfall: Conquest of the Third Reich

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Current state of Dominions 6 pre-release videos "for newbies": Four hours long and wrong.

Megamissen
Jul 19, 2022

any post can be a kannapost
if you want it to be

my dad posted:

Current state of Dominions 6 pre-release videos "for newbies": Four hours long and wrong.

time for you to make a right one then

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Megamissen posted:

time for you to make a right one then

Might actually do that once the game is out. For now uploading videos is limited to three people.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
lmfao

https://twitter.com/TBrit90/status/1746256190017765845

Zeppelin Insanity
Oct 28, 2009

Wahnsinn
Einfach
Wahnsinn

Frosted Flake posted:

Just think of one of Britains greatest defeats of the period, Almansa.

Who commanded the victorious French army?

James FitzJames, 1st Duke of Berwick, the illegitimate son of King James II and VII by Arabella Churchill, sister of the 1st Duke of Marlborough.

So the son of the King of England and the sister of Marlborough, the British commander in the same war, was one of France's greatest generals. Berwick was Marlborough's nephew. Long before he had become a Marshal of France, he had remained in contact with his uncle's family when they were in exile, when the siege at Lille began. Berwick sent an equerry to purchase some horses from the Allies. Furthermore, his widowed mother married Colonel Godfrey of the English army. In 1710, the Tories won the election, sweeping away Protestant opposition to a peace with France. Berwick, encouraged by Louis XIV, planned an army to invade England. With Marlborough out of favour, France was saved the indignity of defeat.

Who was the opposing Grand Alliance's greatest commander?

Eugene of Savoy.

Savoy was a French ally. Eugene was brought up in the court of King Louis XIV of France. Based on the custom that the youngest sons of noble families were destined for the priesthood, the Prince was initially prepared for a clerical career, but by the age of 19, he had determined on a military career. Based on his poor physique and bearing, and perhaps due to a scandal involving his mother Olympe, he was rejected by Louis for service in the French Royal Army. Eugene moved to Austria and transferred his loyalty to the Holy Roman Empire.

Eugene crossed the Alps with some 30,000 men in May/June 1701. After a series of brilliant manoeuvres the Imperial commander defeated Catinat at the Battle of Carpi on 9 July. "I have warned you that you are dealing with an enterprising young prince", wrote Louis XIV to his commander, "he does not tie himself down to the rules of war." On 1 September Eugene defeated Catinat's successor, Marshal Villeroi, at the Battle of Chiari, in a clash as destructive as any in the Italian theatre.

This kind of stuff pops up even in recent past, too. The Mad Baron, the Russian general who invaded Mongolia was German.

One of the main Polish generals in 1939 was Julius Karl Wilhelm Josef Freiherr von Rummel. Who in WW1 was, of course, a Russian officer.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I started a new game of Panzer Campaigns - Normandy '44, selecting a 70-turn scenario covering the first week of the D-Day landings, purely from the American sector

what I find interesting so far is that I'm having to use the planning maps that came with the game's documentation:

see, I'd played and completed a campaign of Sealion '40 a while back, and in that one, the Germans landed on such a broad front that it was easy to figure out where each division was supposed to go, since they immediately had their own frontage to worry about

but in Normandy, Utah beach is just two hexes wide, while Omaha beach is about half-a-dozen hexes wide, so you have to sort out the entire landing force yourself

here I've got the 82nd Airborne, in peach, holding a perimeter to the west of Ste Mere Eglise, with the 101st Airborne, in bright green, holding the area east of the town, up to the edge of the coast. The easternmost elements of the 101st have just made contact with the 4th Infantry Division at Utah.

I'll have to march the 4ID inland, crossing from the beaches to the fields at Ste Marie Du Mont, while also having an element crawl directly up the beaches towards Quineville, then aim to advance to the line Montebourg - Fontenay-sur-Mer - Quineville.

that will leave the 101st to orient themselves to hold the perimeter facing south of Ste Mere Eglise and Ste Marie Du Mont, and elements of the 82d along Azeville and Fresville and shift to man the lines around Orglande

I'm expecting the 9th ID and 90th ID to land after 4ID, and as the planning campaign map says, those are going to relieve the 82d and aim for Bricquebec and Valognes, respectively.

Omaha beach is still too congested for me to draw lines on, but if I can make it farther into the scenario I may post an update of what it looks like later on

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Dominions 6 is going to be out tomorrow. Happy how it turned out overall, even if I have complaints about some of the specifics. Figured out a few strats that should do well (and I'm willing to share if anyone wants specifics) but I'm kinda burned out due to the testing proccess so I probably won't play in any games for a while. Might still help out people who do newbie tutorials etc

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Gradenko Lose a Year of Your Life to Panzer Battles Normandy Challenge!

FrancisFukyomama
Feb 4, 2019

Was the loyalty mechanic in the civ 6 based on something else?
Since i was going through my old civ v mods and there was this huge one that had basically the exact same mechanic and came out in 2016 https://civilization-v-customisation.fandom.com/wiki/JFD%27s_Cities_in_Development so im guessing they're either both based on the same thing or civ 6 borrowed it from this mod
wouldnt really be a surprise since the farm adjacencies and i think a couple other mechanics in 6 were taken directly from 5 mods

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
I was reminded of these:

my dad has issued a correction as of 00:07 on Jan 18, 2024

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
Didn't know that medieval 2 total war had an engine hack which removed several previously hardcoded limits.

FrancisFukyomama
Feb 4, 2019

didn’t Rome 2 have a hardcoded 3 traits limit for years which meant that modders had to make elaborate combo traits that combined 4 or 5 vanilla ones to get generals to feel as unique as they did in the original

I rememeber Attila having a slightly more generous 10 traits and warhammer having something like 40 which seemed fine but then every faction head gave a unique trait on defeat or something and it filled up fast

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

my dad posted:

I was reminded of these:

this is an incredible bit, goddamn

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Anyone played War Hospital, or heard how it is?

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

FrancisFukyomama posted:

didn’t Rome 2 have a hardcoded 3 traits limit for years which meant that modders had to make elaborate combo traits that combined 4 or 5 vanilla ones to get generals to feel as unique as they did in the original

I rememeber Attila having a slightly more generous 10 traits and warhammer having something like 40 which seemed fine but then every faction head gave a unique trait on defeat or something and it filled up fast

yeah this is the case. I think the Warhammer trait limit is gone now but there was a while when you could only gain a max of 20 lord defeat traits and then you wouldn't gain any more

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

KomradeX posted:

Anyone played War Hospital, or heard how it is?

Heard it sucks. Looks like it sucks also.

Megamissen
Jul 19, 2022

any post can be a kannapost
if you want it to be

Tankbuster posted:

Didn't know that medieval 2 total war had an engine hack which removed several previously hardcoded limits.

when did this happen and what can modders do now that they couldnt before?

hopefully they can fix the deployment issues in sieges

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

the largest issue I had with any of the total war games is that after the novelty of the first battles wore off, I was much, much more interested in the diplomacy, character, and province management. give me total war without the tactical element.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

bedpan posted:

the largest issue I had with any of the total war games is that after the novelty of the first battles wore off, I was much, much more interested in the diplomacy, character, and province management. give me total war without the tactical element.

isn't that Crusader Kings

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

gradenko_2000 posted:

isn't that Crusader Kings

yeah but Crusader Kings doesn't have some of the neat late roman empire settings

I'd be much happier with TW if the diplomatic functions were more robust.

bedpan has issued a correction as of 13:29 on Jan 18, 2024