Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Couple of tiny news bits:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

The Kins posted:

These are both very cool :)

Squeezy Farm
Jun 16, 2009

Grimthwacker posted:

Rage's ending was such a hilarious nothingburger.

An interesting new (I think?) Half-Life mod that I'm watching Cpt. Sledge play on Twitch right now: Delta Particles. It looks cool and I don't think anybody's brought it up yet. Good timing since I'm well into replaying HL.

just beat this and it was cool. thx for linking

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

we got a 2024 date!

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
I'm pulling for Wizordum. They're scratching an itch nobody else has, and the dev has shipped a few titles (mostly licensed remakes of MS-DOS platformers but yeah) so he knows how all this works.

Didn't know about the alternate character! Curious to see what that entails...

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

I still need to play through Courier of the Crypts which was his previous game before working with Apogee, though it's not an FPS (top down puzzle game in a dungeon crawling setting)

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
Huh, no kidding--even the dev's HD remakes are all well received and seem like high-effort, feature-rich releases. Hopefully he's able to persevere with Wizordum.

EDIT: In other news, I JUST figured out that Beautiful Doom has two additional modes that put twists on the classic arsenal. The "enhanced" mode in particular has been a nice change of pace without radically altering the underlying gameplay.

Cream-of-Plenty fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Jan 12, 2024

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Huh, no kidding--even the dev's HD remakes are all well received and seem like high-effort, feature-rich releases. Hopefully he's able to persevere with Wizordum.
I've played the Crystal Caves and Secret Agent remakes and they're pretty good! I think the latter has a new Adlib score by Jimmy Paddock, and both have new fourth episodes and level editors? Pretty good stuff. Worth a shot if Mediocre MS-DOS Platformers are your catnip (they're mine) (my upbringing has irreversibly damaged my tastes in the creative arts)

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
I didn't overly enjoy what I played of Wizordum but the pixel art/general aesthetics is incredibly pretty and the map design is good enough. For my money, its biggest problems in the first episode (where I stopped) is a lack of enemy variety.

That and it really feels like they missed a trick by having a bunch of different single-use weapons instead of having half as many weapons but with two fire modes. The fire orb rings (pistol equivalent) have you just holding out your hands to shoot and my brain kept wanting to right-click to get a shotgun.

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

Yeah Wizordum looks super cool. It's top of my wishlist at the moment. I'm waiting for a nice break in my own schedule rather than anything specific to happen to the game before buying it, so I can totally see me picking it up before that road map completes with 1.0.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

The Kins posted:

has anyone tried this on Steam Deck?

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
As amusing as it is, I kind of wish that Voxel Doom had a option to specifically disable voxels for the Wolf3D and Commander Keen sprites since so many WADs take advantage of replacing those two with custom enemies. Running through Ancient Aliens right now, it's funny to see that the "aliens" are SS guards shooting plasma and Commander Keen corpses floating around fire homing missiles.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
It would take a little digging but you could probably open it up in Slade and delete those right?

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Yeah I might end up doing that since I don't think I need the voxels for the Wolf 3D and keen characters; probably won't miss them

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I think it's really funny that he voxelized the Icon of Sin. I mean if anything that's the thing in the first two games most demanding voxels, but it's still hilarious.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

I had to just jump into Map 30 to see for myself and, yeah, it actually looks great now

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I been chugging through Dusk, and I was kinda iffy during Episode 1 if I liked it or not but Episode 2 has been awesome. E1 had a bit too many open arenas and simple encounters. But E2 is better both mechanically and aesthetically - I have just gone Into the Thresher to see what lies beyond...

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Yea that's one of the perks of EA (or games polished post-release) is that you can texturally see the improvement as things improve from one area to the next. I was absolutely enamored with Dusk by the end of it.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Ep1 owns :cool:

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Ep1 would be a good name for a boomshoots

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Quake mod Copper's bundled map pack reminded me of time to crate, so thanks

verbal enema posted:

Ep1 would be a good name for a boomshoots

E1 is pretty catchy, but you can only make two of them before going bankrupt.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

It would probably be more fun on higher difficulties, I opted for the middle one for my first playthrough. Esher Labs kicked rear end, except for that boss fight...

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
I love the cowgirl so much. I tried carrying a bunch of barrels over towards her exit a few times lol. She is scary as hell for something made of a dozen polygons

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

In Training posted:

I been chugging through Dusk, and I was kinda iffy during Episode 1 if I liked it or not but Episode 2 has been awesome. E1 had a bit too many open arenas and simple encounters. But E2 is better both mechanically and aesthetically - I have just gone Into the Thresher to see what lies beyond...

Back in the day, EP2 is what took DUSK from “Wow, this is pretty drat good so far” to “Holy loving poo poo!”

EP2 definitely blew me away when it was first released. You can really see the level design improve dramatically from EP1 to EP2.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

E2 boss had my blood pumping. drat that was a killer set of levels, can't wait to see where E3 goes.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Just wrapped up Sigil II on UV + Pistol Start, I've been kind of hungry for some WADs that lean into a similar type of difficulty--i.e. more limited in weapons, ammo, health, etc. than in sheer numbers of enemies. Anybody got any picks?

Grimthwacker
Aug 7, 2014

Am I going crazy, or are the physics in Half-Life completely screwed up since the big update? I'm constantly sliding around like I have no control where Gordon's going to end up after a jump, and it's making platforming a royal pain.

HolyKrap
Feb 10, 2008

adfgaofdg

Grimthwacker posted:

Am I going crazy, or are the physics in Half-Life completely screwed up since the big update? I'm constantly sliding around like I have no control where Gordon's going to end up after a jump, and it's making platforming a royal pain.

Grenade physics are different, not much else. Did you accidentally change sv_friction? Or maybe encountered one of those bugs in some maps where friction doesn't get reset after you leave a low friction area

Grimthwacker
Aug 7, 2014

HolyKrap posted:

Grenade physics are different, not much else. Did you accidentally change sv_friction? Or maybe encountered one of those bugs in some maps where friction doesn't get reset after you leave a low friction area

Dunno about sv_friction, but it's happening all the time. What's the usual setting for that?

koren
Sep 7, 2003

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Just wrapped up Sigil II on UV + Pistol Start, I've been kind of hungry for some WADs that lean into a similar type of difficulty--i.e. more limited in weapons, ammo, health, etc. than in sheer numbers of enemies. Anybody got any picks?
Difficult to say because the overwhelming majority of wads out there are for Doom 2 and the expanded bestiary lets mappers make hard maps with limited resources in far more diverse ways than you can with vanilla doom.

Here are some suggestions in terms of difficulty through resource starvation while maintaining a low monster count. I've avoided listing modern challenge oriented stuff with difficult platforming segments and swift death style murderboxes. All of these are individual maps except SkePland (a three map episode), Ozonia and TPH (megawads). I'm also working under the assumption of UV and pistol start play:
  • Malcolm Sailor's chord series are classics of the form, in particular Chord NG, Chord G and Chord 3
  • dobu gabu maru's Saturnine Chapel, which is as beautiful as it is difficult on UV. Every single monster is a serious hurdle to overcome and the environment acts a threat in itself. This won a cacoward too.
  • The underappreciated in its time, but now relatively famous SkePland. A totally non-linear plutonia style crawl where every single shell and medpack will have to be savoured. These map are quite large and figuring out a least bad route is a lot of the fun.
  • Ozonia by Deadwing. This megawad isn't as hard as everything else on this list but Deadwing knows how to compose engaging fights with very few monsters. If you like this check out his previous two megawads exomoon and moonblood.
  • all aboard the mega magilla gorilla flotilla, a minor work from Xaser. You will be harassed non stop by projectiles, the water will hurt you and you have a lot of choices. Good luck figuring it all out from there!
  • Darkest Room. One of my all time favourites. Lots of nice little puzzlebox encounters to solve.
  • Ave Exitium by Obsidian. Pure pain.
  • Tarnsman's Projectile Hell from is a megawad that fits the bill if you are looking for tight health and ammo and it is downright nasty and exhausting from start to finish. Wasn't sure if it really fits the brief because of the extensive dehacked changes to the weapons and monsters and also because a lot of the levels have a standard to large monster count.

You might also want to try these maps where you are limited to 1hp. They also have few monsters to contend with too:
  • New Reality Maps by memfis. Three maps to be played continuously. Deceptively simple if not for the lack of health.
  • Pepper by ribbiks. Very pretty and quite challenging.
  • Unhealthy by pcorf.

koren fucked around with this message at 13:32 on Jan 15, 2024

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

drat I hosed up by not clarifying that Doom II WADs are A-OK as well--I just love how Sigil II goes for such a relatively strict allowance of items and makes the most of level design and enemy placement.

But thank you for this detailed list! I will definitely check some of these out, since I recognize none of them and some of your descriptions sound really up my alley for what I'm looking for.

Grimthwacker
Aug 7, 2014

I'm not crazy. I was playing the Delta Particles Half-Life mod and I'm moving just as normally as I remembered in Half-Life before the big update. Something's causing Gordon to move around like he's wearing rocket boots. I need to look into this.

HolyKrap
Feb 10, 2008

adfgaofdg

Grimthwacker posted:

Dunno about sv_friction, but it's happening all the time. What's the usual setting for that?

Are you playing the regular campaign? I've had no issue with it after the patch. Default sv_friction is 4

Also check sv_maxspeed, should be 320. If it's any higher and your cl_ directional speed commands (sidepeed, backspeed, forwardspeed) are high, moving diagonally makes you run faster than usual

HolyKrap fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Jan 16, 2024

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Not HL but I booted... something recently and was having the complete opposite problem. Where everything felt like ice to move around on. Inertia felt all screwy, hard to get going but once you did oh boy good luck getting it to stop

poo poo maybe it was HL, idk

Grimthwacker
Aug 7, 2014

HolyKrap posted:

Are you playing the regular campaign? I've had no issue with it after the patch. Default sv_friction is 4

Also check sv_maxspeed, should be 320. If it's any higher and your cl_ directional speed commands (sidepeed, backspeed, forwardspeed) are high, moving diagonally makes you run faster than usual

That doesn't seem to work, actually! This is getting odder and more obnoxious!

HolyKrap
Feb 10, 2008

adfgaofdg

Grimthwacker posted:

That doesn't seem to work, actually! This is getting odder and more obnoxious!

Can you upload a clip to streamable or something? As a long time HL1 enjoyer, I'm curious. Does it persist after you get to new levels?

The glitch with friction I'm talking about is when you step on something that's supposed to be slippery, set by a func_friction entity, and it doesn't reset when you leave it. I remember a map I was working on had that problem and I had to brute force fix it by putting another func_friction to reset it to normal. Idk exactly what causes it, I've only had it happen a couple times in the normal hl1 campaign

HolyKrap fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Jan 16, 2024

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

HolyKrap posted:

Can you upload a clip to streamable or something? As a long time HL1 enjoyer, I'm curious. Does it persist after you get to new levels?

The glitch with friction I'm talking about is when you step on something that's supposed to be slippery, set by a func_friction entity, and it doesn't reset when you leave it. I remember a map I was working on had that problem and I had to brute force fix it by putting another func_friction to reset it to normal. Idk exactly what causes it, I've only had it happen a couple times in the normal hl1 campaign

This glitch is annoying as hell and I was just about to bring it up.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

release the hl goldsrc source code you cowards!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

https://x.com/quake/status/1747288910097486136?s=46&t=zpYUUMLitkL1LQfCkNP_qA

I don’t know anything about Slave Zero but this looks neat for being a free add-on.