Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel

Brolander posted:

AZ was tight

on to Kenosis, i like that opening room.

Kenosis is pretty big and badass, though I did get a bit tired of navigating the ledges and ending up just putting noclip on and straightlining through them. Very generous with health, I think there's 2 or 3 mega/soul spheres i didn't need.

nothing drives me more insane than almost first-trying a room, then struggling with it trapped with a cyberdemon, crushers circling the room and mancubussys in cages on either side with shooty switches to escape behind them, then once you think you're out there's freakin green hell knights etc. honestly the cyberdemon is the easiest part of that

e: this angel boss thing goes on a bit too long. proper fireworks though

e: on to Sigil 2. One thing about OG doom compared to Doom 2, there is kind of a ceiling on urgency. Never have to sprint across the map to stop an Archvile who is raising dudes in another room, or build your strategy around taking out Pain Elementals first. I suppose you have to apply pressure in other ways. My dad loves golf, I love doom 2. Courses/wads, weapon/club choice etc. it's the same poo poo mang

Brolander fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Jan 8, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

Cry 'Mayhem!' and let slip the dogs of Wardlow.
That's Eviternity done. Whew! MAP29 might be my favorite of the bunch. Loved the gag at the beginning with the HUGE door slowly coming down to reveal... A zombieman! Then while I was chuckling about that the REAL battle began. Final boss was a bit too fiddly for my tastes. Nearly impossible to hit with rockets, especially in the second phase, so if you went hog wild with the plasma beforehand you were gonna have some trouble.

Might wait for the final release to dig into Eviternity II. Time to finish up Ozonia, I guess?

Grimthwacker
Aug 7, 2014

I'm halfway through Eviternity II and as a palate cleanser I'm playing The Diseases & Etc. I'm using the Brutal Ballistics submod for Brutal Doom, and Map 2 took far longer to clear than it should have, partly due to the difficulty of the mod and mostly due to sheer incompetence from not realizing I picked up a rocket launcher for the whole map. (I don't automatically switch weapons on pickup.) No fault of the mapper; it was designed really well, though that one bit with the two Arch-viles and swarm of Lost Souls was toeing the line. Still, it's a cool concept, and congratulations to all involved here for the Cacoward nod!

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.
Finally playing through The Diseases &c. myself on Hurt Me Plenty, and it’s so much fun! Really digging MAP02, played in DSDA-Doom - the little eye secrets were especially fun to stumble upon. Thanks again, goons.

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

THIS IS NOT A PROPER DIET FOR A HIPPO
Thanks for the kind words about TDAC! MAP02 is my toothy abomination of a map, I'm glad to see it being played on multiple difficulties.

Grimthwacker posted:

that one bit with the two Arch-viles and swarm of Lost Souls was toeing the line.

I love this one sadistic bit with all my heart :allears: It's such a simple setup and yet the Lost Souls instantly start messing with the ability to hide behind walls.

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel
sigil 2 is kind of a pain in the rear end on UV but not that bad. im more annoyed by stuff randomly not working. most fresh in my mind is the baron encounter at the end of map 7, the shooty did not work to open the exit room door after a loaded game, took a few reloads to work again

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Brolander posted:

sigil 2 is kind of a pain in the rear end on UV but not that bad. im more annoyed by stuff randomly not working. most fresh in my mind is the baron encounter at the end of map 7, the shooty did not work to open the exit room door after a loaded game, took a few reloads to work again

Yeah I've been having a bit of fun with it on UV as well, and am currently bouncing between it and Ancient Aliens. I think the thing that has annoyed me most about Sigil II so far is the series of secrets on E6M6 that involve you running around narrow ledges above the Cyberdemon maze.

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Yeah I've been having a bit of fun with it on UV as well, and am currently bouncing between it and Ancient Aliens. I think the thing that has annoyed me most about Sigil II so far is the series of secrets on E6M6 that involve you running around narrow ledges above the Cyberdemon maze.

definitely ate a rocket or two running those drat ledges. good fun though imo

just finished my uv pistol start run. last boss fight definitely had the firepower compared to the og fart finales. but it's immediately clear you can just run in front of big mama while the lift lowers, draw crossfire then teleport out, listen for the fighting to continue, port back in , take out the nonfriendlyfirer, wait for one of the others to die or feed mama rockets/cells since she'll probably win in this environment and she's not dodgeable when lift isn't lowered

map 7 IIRC is my least favorite in terms of design. how it flowed, shotgunners placed where i cant really look is a pet peeve. which is like a positioning challenge but i just hate the fused neck feeling. Buut i understand it's part of the charm/deal and it didn't prevent me from enjoying the experience on the whole. by the end I was dodging Cacos in the style of Neo Matrix. bring on Hellion

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Brolander posted:

map 7 IIRC is my least favorite in terms of design. how it flowed, shotgunners placed where i cant really look is a pet peeve. which is like a positioning challenge but i just hate the fused neck feeling. Buut i understand it's part of the charm/deal and it didn't prevent me from enjoying the experience on the whole. by the end I was dodging Cacos in the style of Neo Matrix. bring on Hellion

Oh nice, my UV run is pistol-start too. And I just finished E6M7 last night and can agree that the flow was very strange; there were multiple times where I wasn't quite sure what I needed to do next. Toward the end, that dark room with the small platforms that rise and fall was very odd.

Grimthwacker
Aug 7, 2014

If there's one thing I absolutely cannot stand about Brutal Doom, it's chaingunners. If one so much as looks at you funny, you're dead. They are, quite literally, always the death of me. I can deal with the rest of the souped-up enemies; if there was a way to neuter chaingunners without also neutering the rest of the enemies, that would be great.

I'm not going to lie, The Diseases... Map 4 was a royal pain. Hella confusing, and all the ambushes were obnoxious, especially WRT the aforementioned chaingunners (and shotgunners, which are my second leading cause of death in that mod). I appreciate what it it was trying to go for but it just wasn't very good.

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel
I might be misremembering but one of the gameplay changes I remember liking in BD was the chaingunner spin up delay, is that still a thing?

I've moved on to TNT Devilution, Map 6 Aquarium is my favorite so far. I have no idea what is going to happen room to room.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Brolander posted:

definitely ate a rocket or two running those drat ledges. good fun though imo

just finished my uv pistol start run. last boss fight definitely had the firepower compared to the og fart finales. but it's immediately clear you can just run in front of big mama while the lift lowers, draw crossfire then teleport out, listen for the fighting to continue, port back in , take out the nonfriendlyfirer, wait for one of the others to die or feed mama rockets/cells since she'll probably win in this environment and she's not dodgeable when lift isn't lowered

Final fight was one of the better episode enders in a Doom game, but I didn't know about the modded spidermomma and tried to help her with the remaining cyberdemon, so of course I ended up having to fight her down from like half health afterwards. Agree that maps 6 and 7 were pretty rough on a blind playthrough, would expect them to flow a lot better on replay.

pro starcraft loser
Jan 23, 2006

Stand back, this could get messy.

Wow, I forgot how much those bee things in Sunder really destroy the pacing of the wad. 11 rockets each :(.

Edit - The technomancer library map (17 I think?) is sooooooo good.

pro starcraft loser fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Jan 19, 2024

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Just finished Ozonia and really liked it - I don't think I played antoher WAD with such focus small but cleverly put together encounters that challenge you in ways big numbers do. Wasn't too hard either, which is always a plus, I usually end up cheating on at least some encounters in the third thirds of most megawads I play on HMP.

Grimthwacker
Aug 7, 2014

I'm liking Dragonfly's maps in Eviternity II. They're well designed and usually the most reasonable, in that they mostly don't involve massive assaults on you. When that does happen, they're usually pretty fun and not frustrating. Everything's measured just right.

Astral Cacodemons are huge pains in the rear end, though, and I don't like them one bit.

Grimthwacker fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Jan 20, 2024

Szymanski
Jul 31, 2005

You down with OCP?
Sugartime Jones
Finally got around to playing Eviternity II,. Really impressed with episode II, maps 7, 8 and 9 were a complete blast to play and map7's Mayan City is gorgeous

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

On recommendation from somebody in the 2.5D FPS thread, I'm playing through Ozonia; I currently have no notes except for the fact that the new "Hellion" enemy is a stand-out and feels like it occupies a new space in the bestiary as a super-high-mobility rear end in a top hat. It'd be one thing if it simply launched imp fireballs, but the fact that it shoots 3-round volleys of fast plasma makes it an especially punishing enemy for something with the ~HP of a pinkie. It's been a refreshing mix-up to Doom WADs that replace the Keen/SS/Romero head sprites but end up with enemies that feel a lot like "(doom enemy), but with (blank) projectile"

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel
the doomworld forums simply do not want me--this is the second time I've tried to sign up and it just does not send (or re-send) a verification email. Not in spam etc. Literally all I want it for is to talk to the Ashes 2063 guy in his thread. Which apparently the new one is going to come out soon and I'm supa stoked

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Brolander posted:

the doomworld forums simply do not want me--this is the second time I've tried to sign up and it just does not send (or re-send) a verification email. Not in spam etc. Literally all I want it for is to talk to the Ashes 2063 guy in his thread. Which apparently the new one is going to come out soon and I'm supa stoked

This is maybe going to sound weird and horseshitty, but do you have an adblocker enabled? I've had issues with a few sites not sending verification e-mails I've requested, including Humble, until I temporarily disabled my adblocker. I have no idea how that works, but I just have to temporarily disable it, request the e-mail, then immediately reenable the blocker.

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

This is maybe going to sound weird and horseshitty, but do you have an adblocker enabled? I've had issues with a few sites not sending verification e-mails I've requested, including Humble, until I temporarily disabled my adblocker. I have no idea how that works, but I just have to temporarily disable it, request the e-mail, then immediately reenable the blocker.

HMMM I do, good thought. I whitelisted and tried to re-send, we'll see.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

finally playing Going Down and it kicks rear end. I'm about halfway through and I'm always excited to see what weird creative theme/gimmick the next level is going to have

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

Brolander posted:

I was having issues early last year trying to get a password email reset on Doomworld, ended up having to reach out to one of the admins on Discord and they got the email sent out after that.

Crestfallen Poster
Apr 17, 2009

Let me guess. Fate of the Undead, right? Well, you're not the first.
Dinosaur Gum
That's unfortunately been a known issue on DW for a while now and you can reach out to Mordeth on Reddit/Discord to get sorted out.

Crestfallen Poster fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Jan 22, 2024

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel
Aye aye, thanks all

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Brolander posted:

I was reading about that, I thought that the next official episode is still a long way away but they have a map pack made by someone else similar to the Dead Man Walking maps for the first episode?

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH
I finally got to and through Go 2 It over the weekend after first starting Plutonia, like, six months ago. I can see why it was so well loved at the time, but both Scythe and Going Down have much better slaughter-y maps to shoot through.

gently caress Tombstone. Weird too-big level with too many hitscanners.

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

finally playing Going Down and it kicks rear end. I'm about halfway through and I'm always excited to see what weird creative theme/gimmick the next level is going to have

Going Down is the one game I wish I could play for the first time again. Everything is just so good!

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel

khwarezm posted:

I was reading about that, I thought that the next official episode is still a long way away but they have a map pack made by someone else similar to the Dead Man Walking maps for the first episode?

hmm I'd have to go read again but iirc it's a side story kind of thing about Atlanta, with one of the other scavs maybe? Or maybe that's the faraway next ep

bbcisdabomb posted:

Going Down is the one game I wish I could play for the first time again

absolutely

Love map 31 Caeser in Devilution. Cool secrets I was having some trouble with, very rewarding once I figured it out. Still missed one but it's not one of the biggies

Brolander fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Jan 23, 2024

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

I'm on the map with 200 arch viles and I don't feel like this any more

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Good news it’s not 200 archviles. Only 100 archviles and 100 pain elementals.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Yeah that one mega-hurts but remember you don't have to kill everything to leave!

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

That's an all timer for sure. But also I think GD does peter off after MAP21, I'm not a mega stan for it.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

In Training posted:

That's an all timer for sure. But also I think GD does peter off after MAP21, I'm not a mega stan for it.

22 and 27 are the only ones in the latter third without an immediate theme or idea to grasp beyond the challenge of the level design, and even then 27 is still a cracker.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Arivia posted:

Good news it’s not 200 archviles. Only 100 archviles and 100 pain elementals.

I got it eventually but yes. Come on man

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

bbcisdabomb posted:

Yeah that one mega-hurts but remember you don't have to kill everything to leave!

That level was one of the easier ones to clear when I tried it through Project Brutality. Mostly because I think I had to do it "the right way" before my computer caught on fire.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
I thought mega hurts was fun.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

In Training posted:

I don't remember map names, but yeah a few towards the end started to feel like Just Another Slaughter Map. They seemed to be missing a little bit of that spark from stuff like Painframe or Mouth of Madness. Luckily a 'meh' GD map is still Pretty Good.

A.o.D. posted:

I thought mega hurts was fun.

It is, but it's also one of the most gimmicky maps in the wad with the single enemy type and confusing secrets in mirrored environments. I'm glad it's a one-off.

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

Funny enough, as far as "Oops All Archviles" go between Going Down and Overboard I still prefer 200 Mega Hurts over Archi-Pelago(+). You at least get archvile-nuked into a small ceiling in 200 Mega Hurts even with 100 archviles, but with just 10 or so archviles in Archi-Pelago you get sent soaring into a high ceiling way far away from the action and it's way harder to BFG everything from there.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
Does anyone who's better plugged into the modding scene know if there is any movement on episode 3 of The Adventures of Square? Its been almost 6 years since the last one came out, I'm not even sure if BigBrik is still a thing and the last major news I can see on their twitter is that, sadly, one of their team died in 2020, I don't know if that permanently halted the project and I can't find much news or discussion about the state of affairs online.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Dieting Hippo posted:

Funny enough, as far as "Oops All Archviles" go between Going Down and Overboard I still prefer 200 Mega Hurts over Archi-Pelago(+). You at least get archvile-nuked into a small ceiling in 200 Mega Hurts even with 100 archviles, but with just 10 or so archviles in Archi-Pelago you get sent soaring into a high ceiling way far away from the action and it's way harder to BFG everything from there.

Lol I actually loved Archi-Pelago

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

Takes No Damage posted:

I don't remember map names, but yeah a few towards the end started to feel like Just Another Slaughter Map. They seemed to be missing a little bit of that spark from stuff like Painframe or Mouth of Madness. Luckily a 'meh' GD map is still Pretty Good.

It is, but it's also one of the most gimmicky maps in the wad with the single enemy type and confusing secrets in mirrored environments. I'm glad it's a one-off.

I think my favorite GD map is Bridge of Blood, mainly because the first time I played I got stuck in the middle of said bridge and had to fight off 75% of the final horde before I could even think about stepping foot somewhere to get more supplies.