Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

dokmo posted:

I would like to say that I said scoot would bust because he couldn't get by anybody in the g league, and he still can't get by anybody, and nothing to do with his shooting which may or may not come around

I'm going to give credit to Dejan here but this was also something he had highlighted along with some other stuff about his measurements that was pretty concerning.

I barely watched Scoot stuff since it was very difficult to watch G league games from the season in June, and had nothing but highlights to see so I always couched my predictions for him in "people I trust seem to think he'd be good."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
The score of the OKC/Portland game is currently 118-56 after 3 quarters.

Can they just fire Billups right now please

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

i remember being excited by chauncey billups when he was a rookie for the celtics and being confused when they traded him. times have changed.

Eratik
Jun 23, 2004

I like your style.

Mean Baby posted:

I should mention Scoot is going to play terrible tonight and OKC will beat the Blazers by 50.

They might get it within 50 if they really go off in the 4th, I guess.

pyrotek
May 21, 2004

Papercut posted:

The score of the OKC/Portland game is currently 118-56 after 3 quarters.

Can they just fire Billups right now please

The NBA has traditions I don't understand like waiting until the game is over to fire the coach. Be bold, try something new

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

fart simpson posted:

i remember being excited by chauncey billups when he was a rookie for the celtics and being confused when they traded him. times have changed.

This remains one of the weirdest trades ever.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
The Portland broadcast literally turned off the scoreboard lol

The whole 4th quarter:

haruspicy
Feb 10, 2023
dame plays d like i play 2k - run away from the ballhandler and then press the draw charge flop button

https://twitter.com/BackcourtAlerts/status/1745610834225545472

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
lol, I have tickets to the Blazers/Timberwolves game tomorrow night. Gunna tell my 9 year old son the Blazers are a really good team.

JackBandit
Jun 6, 2011

Mean Baby posted:

I should mention Scoot is going to play terrible tonight and OKC will beat the Blazers by 50.

Mean Baby
May 28, 2005

Eratik posted:

They might get it within 50 if they really go off in the 4th, I guess.

Only 62. Scoot did have a terrible game though! OKC is very good.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
Not even the biggest loss in Portland history, weak effort by OKC

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Melo: :qq: Denver gave Jokic 15 so they don't have to retire it under my name :qq:

https://twitter.com/7PMinBrooklyn/status/1745506560158392777

:laffo:

https://twitter.com/DNVR_Sports/status/1745562428241244486

https://twitter.com/markocantdunk/status/1745562256543191158

anakha fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Jan 12, 2024

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Free Darko

https://twitter.com/NBAPR/status/1745526054373015605

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Also why would the nuggets think that a guy they just drafted in the mid-second round was gonna become an even better player than Melo

Like if anything they gave him (or let him have) 15 because he was a second round pick and statistically speaking he wasn’t gonna stick around long enough to make it an issue

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Also Jokic was a 2nd rounder drafted during a taco bell commercial, the Nuggets did not expect him to be the best player in franchise history.

edit: beaten

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

an extremely melo take

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

I guess it was too much to expect Carmelo 'hated Jeremy Lin stealing his spotlight' Anthony not to be insecure as gently caress.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

jokic is also referring to himself as the "first digital athlete"

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
I mean, it is sorta viewed as a disrespectful thing for franchises to hand out former star players numbers or whatever right after a trade or them leaving in FA, But lol Melo kinda earned that poo poo because the org and the fanbase clearly didn't like him on his way out, so you are going to have to eat that "disrespect".

Like some player asked for 1 on the Bulls after the Rose trade, the Bulls absentmindedly said yes, and they got yelled into oblivion from the fanbase for letting some rotation player take 1, and have not made that mistake again lol.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

and yet the bulls callously gave away carlos boozer's 5

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Lockback posted:

Also Jokic was a 2nd rounder drafted during a taco bell commercial, the Nuggets did not expect him to be the best player in franchise history.

edit: beaten

some of us did.

Giggs
Jan 4, 2013

mama huhu
latter players should be able to challenge the memory of former players, determined by performance. the former player's number is therefore incremented by one when the overlap occurs and improvement recognized. Jokic is 15 for the history books and Melo is 16, until someone takes on the challenge of Jokic.

and if Jevon Carter punches a ref across the baseline and means it then Carlos Boozer will become 6.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

to me the real bulls #5 will always be andres nocioni

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

R.D. Mangles posted:

to me the real bulls #5 will always be andres nocioni

I hosed some dudes up with him, Capn Kirk and Ben Gordon back in some old 2k days.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Ben Gordon had such a good shooting motion and was an auto 3 in 2k

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Doltos posted:

Ben Gordon had such a good shooting motion and was an auto 3 in 2k

I had the hardest time with him! It was weirdly delayed and catapulty. My best 3pt motion was Brandon Roy.

This was also a weird time in my life and 2K games were super abuseable. I won a chip with the bucks by spamming up-and-under post moves with Yi Jianlan

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Salvor_Hardin posted:

I had the hardest time with him! It was weirdly delayed and catapulty. My best 3pt motion was Brandon Roy.

This was also a weird time in my life and 2K games were super abuseable. I won a chip with the bucks by spamming up-and-under post moves with Yi Jianlan

won a championship in 2k7 with the bobcats by running pick and rolls with luther head and darko and then using darius miles as an undersized 4 to just sprint and dunk on every fast break.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Ben "Ben Jordan" Gordon

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Welp

https://twitter.com/awfulannouncing/status/1745632280394268884

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Papes posted:

Luka was my biggest draft hit, couldn’t believe that guy wasn’t unanimous #1

Agree, absolute insanity to pick anyone else before him that year.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Spacebump posted:

Agree, absolute insanity to pick anyone else before him that year.

I could kinda understand the Ayton and JJJ picks at the time of the draft. Bagley, though...

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
cant remember if ive asked this but how are players getting through high school and college without being at least decent at shooting the ball? isnt shooting a core skill that highly regarded draft picks should at least have a basic level of competency in? or are they decent at the college level but dropping when they hit the nba because its a higher level of competition, which i guess is more understandable?

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

bulls lost a loving coin flip with the goddamn kings for the #2 pick that year i will never stop being mad.

Papes
Apr 13, 2010

There's always something at the bottom of the bag.

Seams posted:

cant remember if ive asked this but how are players getting through high school and college without being at least decent at shooting the ball? isnt shooting a core skill that highly regarded draft picks should at least have a basic level of competency in? or are they decent at the college level but dropping when they hit the nba because its a higher level of competition, which i guess is more understandable?

AAU is a scam and doesn’t do a good job of developing kids

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Seams posted:

It’s hard

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Seams posted:

John Wall talks about this in that long podcast interview that was big a while back

Basically they never had to. When you’re an athletic freak who can get by high school defenders as though they’re training dummies, why bother shooting from outside? Simply lay the ball up. Then they get to the NBA and it’s like ahhh poo poo that doesn’t work any more, what now?

Mean Baby
May 28, 2005

Seams posted:

Most players can shoot the ball in practice, the speed of the game can really mess with people’s mechanics.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

R.D. Mangles posted:

bulls lost a loving coin flip with the goddamn kings for the #2 pick that year i will never stop being mad.

It's actually funnier, and more Bulls.

The Bulls won that Coinflip.

They got the higher pick.

And then the numbers for the Kings pick in the lottery jumped them up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
A good exercise is to watch a Big 10 game and see how far the defense is from the players and how much slower the defense rotates and remember that is considered a conference with good defense for college ball.