Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy

Vib Rib posted:

oh my god Omnifactory is 5 years old. I still distinctly remember seeing the promo image they put up for it and going "oh, can't wait to try this". Turning to dust as we speak.
Minecraft more than any other media seems to make me feel the rapid flow of time very keenly.

Just a little earlier I was remembering testing the initial Thaumcraft 6 beta releases back when 1.12 was so new I wasn't sure about playing on it.

Also the responses to questions about TC7 have just been incoherent mumbling for years.

Black Pants fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Jan 10, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gollom
Mar 5, 2007
I pawned the precious

stabbington posted:

Astral Sorcery my beloved. The crystal mechanics were kinda wack and attunement was OP as gently caress, but nothing beat those multiblocks for a cool thing to build/scale your bases around, especially with the teleportation altars letting you build a cool network of transit locations.

I've been sticking to older versions of Minecraft pretty much just because of Astral Sorcery. Well, that and I'm stuck with my old laptop that struggles with 1.19+ for whatever reason.

It's aesthetically one my favourite mods, just a lot of really fun things to look at/hear. And some of the rituals are a really fun way to add functions - having unlimited creative flight around my base is great, especially when it's coupled with a very nice glowy visual structure. And by far the coolest fast travel/teleporter system.

The developer posted about updating it to 1.19 a while back I think, but with a "I'm VERY busy so I don't know when it'll happen" message.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Black Pants posted:

Also the responses to questions about TC7 have just been incoherent mumbling for years.

:negative:

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

That's one...

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
I'm holding off on playing your modpack for the moment, as I know it's an ongoing project, but any estimates on when it'll be "finished"?

E: God, I got a new high quality mouse a few months ago and now I'm having a lot of trouble playing old modpacks, anything before the "raw mouse input" option was added. Prior to that, I get weird mouse acceleration that makes it hard to quickly turn around or aim right. I could only find one mod that purports to fix it for earlier versions, but it doesn't seem to actually work, and instead just turns the mouse off entirely.
Who'd have guessed something so simple as raw input would be such an obstacle

Vib Rib fucked around with this message at 12:23 on Jan 11, 2024

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Estimates are hard because while I've got a better idea of where I'm going than when I was working on it before, I'm working out the path there as I go along as I've found that's helping me focus.

Currently I'm agonizing over whether to make that planet literally kill you if you're there too long, or if it just being a lovely storm-covered planet made of ice will be enough to make it not be especially tempting to just move your base there. And also wondering if I'm overthinking it entirely.

But, I realised the player needs the Silverwood and Greatwood trees asap and I figured a little outing to explore around might be a nice distraction, a slightly more organic way to give them to the players than just crafting them, and let me tell some more story. So that's a thing I gotta build.

Then I gotta work out how to use Thaumcraft to get the next tier of resources, and how to integrate them into technology through Mekanism etc. I can't really think of that stuff until I get to it.

I'm hoping soon, though, anyway.

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

Chapter one of Create: Arcane Engineering completed!!!

:toot:

FalloutGod
Dec 14, 2006
Is there another modpack like Immersive Engineering? I gave up trying to install it from curseforge. I didn't mess with any of the settings and I still get install errors from the launcher. Modding is such dog poo poo with this game from top to bottom. Jesus I kinda miss the adfly days.

E: God damnit why do I need 5 launchers, 3 mod loaders, 4 java versions and 2 different versions of minecraft to run stuff. I feel like an old man screaming into the void but I don't care this is so so so so dumb.

FalloutGod fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Jan 11, 2024

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

FalloutGod posted:

Is there another modpack like Immersive Engineering? I gave up trying to install it from curseforge. I didn't mess with any of the settings and I still get install errors from the launcher. Modding is such dog poo poo with this game from top to bottom. Jesus I kinda miss the adfly days.

E: God damnit why do I need 5 launchers, 3 mod loaders, 4 java versions and 2 different versions of minecraft to run stuff. I feel like an old man screaming into the void but I don't care this is so so so so dumb.

Look at this person who didn't read the OP. Also Immersive Engineering is a mod, not a pack. What exactly are you trying to do?

Edit: I guess they just wanted to wake up and have a weird whinge.

Black Pants fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Jan 12, 2024

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

That's all that's left. 57 neutronium away from tank. :ohdear:

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Double posting, don't give a poo poo.

The real Nomifactory starts here. :toot:

Lordshmee
Nov 23, 2007

I hate you, Milkman Dan
:hf:

I just started fusing oxygen plasma so I can get serious about endgame fusion crafting. I’m racing up behind you!

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

My pronouns are She/Heir.

Vib Rib posted:

Pour one out for those we left behind.

This is Chromaticraft erasure. :colbert:

As esoteric and sparsely-documented as Chromaticraft is, aesthetically and progression-wise it's still one of my favorite mods ever. If only Reika would stop GTNH-ing it and adding unnecessary complexity and difficulty the second people figure it out.

RocketMermaid fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Jan 12, 2024

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

Also holy gently caress do I need two stacks of Quantum Mainframes to make one Assline? :aaa:

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

RocketMermaid posted:

As esoteric and sparsely-documented as Chromaticraft is, aesthetically and progression-wise it's still one of my favorite mods ever. If only Reika would stop GTNH-ing it and adding unnecessary complexity and difficulty the second people figure it out.
Probably because Chromaticraft is still being updated!!

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

Vib Rib posted:

Pour one out for those we left behind.
After three years of playing Minecraft I was ready to shelve it and then Thaumcraft roped me back in. I played another six or seven years and even ran a "magic only" server named Luddite for a few years.

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

fondue posted:

After three years of playing Minecraft I was ready to shelve it and then Thaumcraft roped me back in. I played another six or seven years and even ran a "magic only" server named Luddite for a few years.

Thaumcraft is what brought me back to Minecraft in 2017 too, when a friend started a server with a custom modpack. :3:

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I had been drafting some possible quests for a B2SR (Baby's Second Space Race) with the newer Thaumcraft and was having way too many giggles using "Old man yells at cloud!" as a quest for the skygazing research. Clearly, I didn't get too far with it all.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Speaking of, I need to figure out taking them out of Thaumcraft due to uh...

Well that ring in the screenshots is what the moon used to be.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Black Pants posted:

Speaking of, I need to figure out taking them out of Thaumcraft due to uh...

Well that ring in the screenshots is what the moon used to be.

We got the stargate, You could lock coordinates or password to access computer and coordinates behind exploration or achieved tech level to aquire/open-box/discover them or whatever.

Alternatively, if you want people to stay at the space station, make the space station be a reliable source of infinite or alot of power and nerf power generation on alien planets. They could still bring power cells or whatever to power something or make power generation really expensive or difficult if they wanted to power a drill or excavator or something, they could still do so but it would be expensive, and they would be incentivized to pick their power generation back up when they're done. Thaumcraft has a drill.

Alternatively, make the space station the only place with infinite O2, Yes there is air on the planet, but you're gonna need expensive and hard to maintain life support if they want to make a base or outpost there.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

SugarAddict posted:

We got the stargate, You could lock coordinates or password to access computer and coordinates behind exploration or achieved tech level to aquire/open-box/discover them or whatever.

Alternatively, if you want people to stay at the space station, make the space station be a reliable source of infinite or alot of power and nerf power generation on alien planets. They could still bring power cells or whatever to power something or make power generation really expensive or difficult if they wanted to power a drill or excavator or something, they could still do so but it would be expensive, and they would be incentivized to pick their power generation back up when they're done. Thaumcraft has a drill.

Alternatively, make the space station the only place with infinite O2, Yes there is air on the planet, but you're gonna need expensive and hard to maintain life support if they want to make a base or outpost there.

poo poo now you've got me thinking back to an idea I originally had. I wonder if I could build a central power source for the station that's scalable as their tech level increases...

..maybe something so simple as 'there is a reactor of some kind, you gotta physically connect it to the grid'...

Jetamo
Nov 8, 2012

alright.

alright, mate.
One high-effort, probably not fun, idea for a pack I had was to tie mod progression/unlocking to world-genned obelisks/temples, that'd require powering up/activating somehow but would in turn provide you with an extra bonus.

Basic one would be basic Minecraft - flint and steel, netherrack under an ancient stone and iron boiler to power an Andesite Alloy producer - the regular recipe would be unlocked, but the temple would slowly generate it.

In another temple, use cogs, belts and other Create rotation blocks, along with some form of rotation generation, to rebuild an ancient drill, and unlock a slow source of lava and Seared Stone for Tinker's Construct smelteries., Provide another temple with full tanks of molten iron and, I dunno, a Tinker's alloy to exchange for some enriched Osmium for Mekanism.

Make the progression from one mod to another that you see in some of the more expert leaning modpacks, more physical than just running through a quest book.

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

One thing I haven't seen much of (and I will admit I haven't played a wide variety of modpacks) is a progression where your tech complexity increases as you go up the ore chain. Like, early copper and maybe iron tools you could do with just a furnace, but to go beyond that you'd need to start creating multi-step refinement processes (more than just iron + coal = steel). Like having ore crushing and things like that be more than just resource multipliers, they'd be required to use the ores at all (while still providing bonuses to lower tier items), and then you'd add in more steps like washing or chemical processing to extract rarer and rarer materials, with the endgame material requiring mastery of all the processes.

I think would work well with create because of the freeform ways you can set up processes, while still being able to jank something together in a pinch. (Unlike most tech packs where it's just craft machine -> make resource -> craft higher tier machine.) Something where you'd have to build tools from parts rather than just throwing stuff in a crafting table would be a parallel progression (and you could maybe also tie this in with the create machines, e.g. needing to use a press to make plates and then a roller to make rods for your tool handles). I think a bonus you could get out of this is creating emergent processes that need to be discovered and puzzled out where different materials would need to be processed in different ways, e.g. you might need to forge/cast a certain alloy into plates because it's not ductile enough to put in a press without shattering.

This also wouldn't have to be limited to tech-style packs, you could do the same with magic, or a blend of the two.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

if that's what you're after, then you'd love gregtech new horizons

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I'm actually trying to come up with an excuse for not just running like Aluminium-level ore through a furnace and requiring something more high-tech but I'm not sure what yet. Require an Arc Furnace maybe? I don't want it too greggy but I have a vague goal of making sure most of what you build stays useful rather than just being a stepping stone you immediately discard after you use it to make its replacement, and I think having multi-step processing is an idea that fits into that.

Edit: ..that said I make Pneumaticcraft oil processing for plastic making redundant that way though. Sorry about that.

Black Pants fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Jan 12, 2024

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Good, gently caress Pneumaticraft. Stupid finicky pain in my rear end.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

RocketMermaid posted:

First time I've heard of it and I already hate it. :negative:

Black Pants posted:

poo poo now you've got me thinking back to an idea I originally had. I wonder if I could build a central power source for the station that's scalable as their tech level increases...

..maybe something so simple as 'there is a reactor of some kind, you gotta physically connect it to the grid'...

That makes sense, the player starts with access to basic emergency powered stuff that is in-world rated to stay on for like, years and mechanically never runs out, like lights, but then they need to get, say, [relatively simple material] to get the reactor started again, and scavengethe limited amount of remaining good wires/cables to connect a limited amount of stuff, then tech up to being able to make energy transmission stuff themselves to power more than like, one area at a time.

Black Pants posted:

I'm actually trying to come up with an excuse for not just running like Aluminium-level ore through a furnace and requiring something more high-tech but I'm not sure what yet. Require an Arc Furnace maybe? I don't want it too greggy but I have a vague goal of making sure most of what you build stays useful rather than just being a stepping stone you immediately discard after you use it to make its replacement, and I think having multi-step processing is an idea that fits into that.

Edit: ..that said I make Pneumaticcraft oil processing for plastic making redundant that way though. Sorry about that.
If you can't come up with a good way to do this for some individual thing, you could have the obsolete machine be used as a crafting ingredient for the new, better machine. So it feels less like "replacing" it and more "upgrading" it.

Kyrosiris posted:

Yeah I'm doing Create Arcane Engineering and there's no alternative for making diesel, gasoline, kerosene, LPG, or liquid plastic and god, I hate managing the heat and pressure and so on. I could switch to thermal machines for refined fuel but I'd need to set up some electrical generation as well and the wires that seem to be the only method available of moving power around are also weird and finicky. Once we get things properly integrated I'll have to see if the existing generation is fast enough for what we need refined fuel for, I guess.

Zereth fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Jan 12, 2024

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
The rest is actually pretty neat, especially when you get RF compressors and advanced release valves. I'm enjoying working with the assembly line and wish I could use it for more things. It's kinda tough to come up with recipes when it only takes a single input though. Sadly the harvester drones don't work with Agricraft.

Zereth posted:

First time I've heard of it and I already hate it. :negative:

That makes sense, the player starts with access to basic emergency powered stuff that is in-world rated to stay on for like, years and mechanically never runs out, like lights, but then they need to get, say, [relatively simple material] to get the reactor started again, and scavengethe limited amount of remaining good wires/cables to connect a limited amount of stuff, then tech up to being able to make energy transmission stuff themselves to power more than like, one area at a time.

If you can't come up with a good way to do this for some individual thing, you could have the obsolete machine be used as a crafting ingredient for the new, better machine. So it feels less like "replacing" it and more "upgrading" it.

First a note about Chromaticcraft: it expects a player to have access to a roughly 5kx5k area to themselves to find all the necessary requirements to progress, especially as each 'explore and find a thing' things can only be discovered once. Per point of interest per world not per player. So that's a thing.

But yes those are both good ideas. It's tougher when the thing made that's being obsoleted is a multiblock though. But I can make them into better multiblocks I suppose. I've also considered the idea of using the Compact Machines shrinker device to turn multiblocks into like Mek factories or whatever lol. The energy thing is actually similar to what I'd planned for the original original iteration of the pack, but yeah, interesting idea.

Edit: oh right, at some point I could use BQ-Multiblock Integration to show the player how to build things like the Pneumaticcraft setups. It's no Ponder, just lets you embed images and have a quest trigger when the player makes the thing right.

Oh funny story I once tried to use redstone conduits to flip the lights in the station on and off based on whether there was power in the areas or not and that was a fuckin mistake, those things eat infinite TPS.

Black Pants fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Jan 12, 2024

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Kyrosiris posted:

When I first fired up ATM I thought pneumaticraft was interesting, then I engaged in it and my god I try to use it as little as possible.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Black Pants posted:

Oh funny story I once tried to use redstone conduits to flip the lights in the station on and off based on whether there was power in the areas or not and that was a fuckin mistake, those things eat infinite TPS.
Replace them with lights that actively require power to work, maybe?

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Zereth posted:

Replace them with lights that actively require power to work, maybe?

Hm, I don't remember finding any good ones, but I just did a search and came across one called Floodlights and I'll check it out.

immoral_
Oct 21, 2007

So fresh and so clean.

Young Orc

Kyrosiris posted:

Pneumaticraft was finicky way back in Crash Landed, so it's nice to see they've kept up with tradition.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Leal posted:

When I first fired up ATM I thought pneumaticraft was interesting, then I engaged in it and my god I try to use it as little as possible.
Pneumaticraft always had one of the biggest gaps between how lovely it was and how often it would show up in modpacks at the time. I swear it was in like 50% of the drat things, but usually just because the pack maker took pressurized steel (or whatever its base resource was) and made it part of the recipe for whatever the next mod in the chain was. So you'd make a chamber, pressurize it with heating transfer pads or w/e, make some steel, and then never touch it again.
Though I'll die on the hill of saying Forestry was always bad, and that was in everything.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
Pneumaticraft wasn't too bad once you had it figured out but it really was way too annoying with the waiting for all the steps to pressurize/heat up depending on what you were doing. Also overpressuring shouldn't exist.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Next you're going to say something deranged like LV machines shouldn't explode when hooked up to MV power.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Vib Rib posted:

Pneumaticraft always had one of the biggest gaps between how lovely it was and how often it would show up in modpacks at the time. I swear it was in like 50% of the drat things, but usually just because the pack maker took pressurized steel (or whatever its base resource was) and made it part of the recipe for whatever the next mod in the chain was. So you'd make a chamber, pressurize it with heating transfer pads or w/e, make some steel, and then never touch it again.
Though I'll die on the hill of saying Forestry was always bad, and that was in everything.

My pack has you making, uh, a lot of that compressed iron. Though I've also got an 'upgrade' for the pressure chamber that uses Botania Mana instead of pressure.

Also this thing is just adorable

TBH a lot of this pack is basically just me trying to force people to play with things I think are neat. :colbert: Like Engineer's Decor, Emerging Technology, and Matter Overdrive.

Black Pants fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Jan 12, 2024

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

The best thing Forestry ever had was the worktable. That thing is so handy for frequent manually crafted complex recipes.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Rynoto posted:

Pneumaticraft wasn't too bad once you had it figured out but it really was way too annoying with the waiting for all the steps to pressurize/heat up depending on what you were doing. Also overpressuring shouldn't exist.
"Huh, I can't install a Security Upgrade in this Rotational Compressor. Does that mean it won't explo*BOOM* gently caress"

I didn't even get the item back. <:mad:>

Black Pants posted:

My pack has you making, uh, a lot of that compressed iron. Though I've also got an 'upgrade' for the pressure chamber that uses Botania Mana instead of pressure.
As somebody allergic to processes that require dropping items into the world, which last I checked starting up Botania needed for mana generation, that sounds like a downgrade to me.

yes this does mean the processing steps that require sulfuric acid and chromatic acid in Create Arcane Engineering drive me up the wall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Rynoto posted:

It felt like one of those tech mods that existed only to solve its own problems and was just going way overboard trying to make its own tech tree hook stand out. Needlessly complicated gimmicks for mediocre payouts.