Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

The Demilich posted:

I found a gigantic thing that kind of looks like a Star Wars sandcrawler at Goodwill, but the back is busted open & missing, on top it's got a massive turret that's half destroyed along with a few sponson-like holes. It's $4.

Quick what vehicle in 40k looks like a sandcrawler? I'd like to justify this lol

The main difference is the bottom on the thing I found is just one track.

Big ol battlewagon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Squat Demiurge land train

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

Decorus posted:

Leviathan or Capitol Imperialis are the two I can name. There might be more.

Yeah the Capital Imperialis is a good match

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

I went and bought it. Now to plan how to clean it up

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
might want to go with a gorgon, scale seems more accurate. that dont look like 10 russes could fit in there.
e:

https://www.warhammer.com/en-US/shop/Gorgon-Armoured-Assault-Transport-2019

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

The Demilich posted:

I went and bought it. Now to plan how to clean it up

Oh, that's an AAV. That could definitely work as some kind of command vehicle at least, or just a superheavy APC.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.
Oh I just realized that the size comparison indicates that a Rhino is supposed to be smaller than one of the banners of the Capitol Imperialis. Yeah a Gorgon seems like the way to go - it carries 30 troops rather than 100. As a bonus, there's still rules for it in 10th Edition Legends.

Decorus
Aug 26, 2015
Oh yeah, that's a good size for a Gorgon. Just needs a bunch of guns pointing in every direction.

It's a shame though, the shape would be pretty good for a Capitol Imperialis if you were to saw the front of and reattach it upside down.

You know, it might be the right size for the new Epic game. :)

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

So it's 14" long, 5" wide (measured the treads underneath), 6" high.

I'm not really sure what type of guns I should put up top. STL recommendations welcome!

Testikles
Feb 22, 2009
The world squiggoth supply is officially depleted. I was going to have a buddy buy one in Europe for me and ship it back but now they're gone.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Testikles posted:

The world squiggoth supply is officially depleted. I was going to have a buddy buy one in Europe for me and ship it back but now they're gone.

This but basilisks

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

My guard are shelved for the time being so I can just wait for the supply of basilisks to recover.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

I just want a loving regular-rear end Land Raider.

Sherbert Hoover
Dec 12, 2019

Working hard, thank you!
I saw a picture within the past month or so of a really convincing glowing melta barrel and I can't find it. It might have been posted in this thread. Anyone have an idea?

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Sherbert Hoover posted:

I saw a picture within the past month or so of a really convincing glowing melta barrel and I can't find it. It might have been posted in this thread. Anyone have an idea?

There are a number of "glowing plasma gun paint tutorial" style videos on YouTube. Melta not so much.

There is this old WHTV video on melta muzzle burn. Not sure if its what you're after. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jIKEfVoqC5U

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

rantmo posted:

I just want a loving regular-rear end Land Raider.

Is a Proteus acceptable? It has all the options a regular 40K one does.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
It technically requires TO approval but afaik no one's ever turned it down

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
The proteus is a modern kit and goes together pretty well. A bunch of options for pintle weapons as well, including a multi-melta. The old 40k land raider, as much as I love it, shows its age when you're building it. Things don't fit quite right and you wind up with some gaps. At this point I'd recommend the proteus kit just to avoid that. The proteus' look may not be for everyone though as it is definitely a throwback.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

Yvonmukluk posted:

Is a Proteus acceptable? It has all the options a regular 40K one does.

The only reason I haven't just done that is for silly ~~~LORE~~~ reasons because I want it for my Grey Knights and it feels weird to give them Heresy-era tech when they were still in the warp and I should just loving get over it and buy the kit that is actually available for purchase. If it was for my BA successor chapter I wouldn't hesitate but here I am being kind of a dummy for Reasons.

Sherbert Hoover
Dec 12, 2019

Working hard, thank you!

DancingShade posted:

There are a number of "glowing plasma gun paint tutorial" style videos on YouTube. Melta not so much.

There is this old WHTV video on melta muzzle burn. Not sure if its what you're after. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jIKEfVoqC5U

Thanks but it wasn't scorch marks. It was a gradiant to a neon-like orange that made it look as though it was glowing and being fired at that moment. Searching for glowing melta or meltagun gives me a few similar but imo inferior examples.

Testikles
Feb 22, 2009
My hope is that the reason these models aren't out there is because they're improving the kits but given how long it's been for some of this that isn't likely

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

rantmo posted:

The only reason I haven't just done that is for silly ~~~LORE~~~ reasons because I want it for my Grey Knights and it feels weird to give them Heresy-era tech when they were still in the warp and I should just loving get over it and buy the kit that is actually available for purchase. If it was for my BA successor chapter I wouldn't hesitate but here I am being kind of a dummy for Reasons.
I mean, they could have reclaimed it from another battlefield. Maybe it belonged to a loyalist chapter that inherited it but their forces got wiped out by the forces of the Great Enemy, and it pulled a Rynn's Might and kept fighting until the GKs got there, and then since the original chapter got wiped out the GKs sanctifed it and added it to their arsenal? IIRC isn't one detail some GKs do is honour allied forces they fought alongside by incorporating their heraldy? So you could have the original Chapter's logo somewhere to represent its prior allegiance.

Or just point to the lore bit where Titan was already stocked with materiel when the recruits got there and justify it that way.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Proteus Land Raiders are by default more sacred than Land Raider Crusaders due to being an older design so just roll with that.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Thinking about movement trays and how you can't just have one nice one because the guard base sizes are all over the drat place.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

The ones they released for their latest attempt at Apocalypse looked decent.

Wonder how long until they give that another go with the new edition.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

Yvonmukluk posted:

I mean, they could have reclaimed it from another battlefield. Maybe it belonged to a loyalist chapter that inherited it but their forces got wiped out by the forces of the Great Enemy, and it pulled a Rynn's Might and kept fighting until the GKs got there, and then since the original chapter got wiped out the GKs sanctifed it and added it to their arsenal? IIRC isn't one detail some GKs do is honour allied forces they fought alongside by incorporating their heraldy? So you could have the original Chapter's logo somewhere to represent its prior allegiance.

Or just point to the lore bit where Titan was already stocked with materiel when the recruits got there and justify it that way.

I'd never heard the reclamation and resanctification thing before, that's really cool (I really should get around to reading some of the GK novels) but also reading the wiki details about the Proteus, it wouldn't be unreasonable for them to have it at all, as you say, Titan being stocked at the onset makes a lot of sense too. Welp, guess that will be the next big purchase, because goddamn do GKs need anti-tank.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

rantmo posted:

I'd never heard the reclamation and resanctification thing before, that's really cool (I really should get around to reading some of the GK novels) but also reading the wiki details about the Proteus, it wouldn't be unreasonable for them to have it at all, as you say, Titan being stocked at the onset makes a lot of sense too. Welp, guess that will be the next big purchase, because goddamn do GKs need anti-tank.

That's not an official thing, IIRC, I was just spitballing, but you can use the idea no problem.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Sherbert Hoover posted:

Thanks but it wasn't scorch marks. It was a gradiant to a neon-like orange that made it look as though it was glowing and being fired at that moment. Searching for glowing melta or meltagun gives me a few similar but imo inferior examples.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CvxLhv7NdOc/?hl=en

Something like this?

Sherbert Hoover
Dec 12, 2019

Working hard, thank you!

It was pretty similar, yes. What struck me about the melta pic I saw is that it was somehow substantially brighter than this and I was trying to figure out how they did that.

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

Sherbert Hoover posted:

It was pretty similar, yes. What struck me about the melta pic I saw is that it was somehow substantially brighter than this and I was trying to figure out how they did that.

I mean, was it something more complex that shifting to a truer white for the hottest points?

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Yvonmukluk posted:

That's not an official thing, IIRC, I was just spitballing, but you can use the idea no problem.

the best lore is made up

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

That's because all lore is made up.

Sherbert Hoover
Dec 12, 2019

Working hard, thank you!

DandyLion posted:

I mean, was it something more complex that shifting to a truer white for the hottest points?

I don't remember white being used at all, just that it looked extremely hot and glowing in a way that superheated steel does IRL.

They may have used a kind of neon paint. I wish I could remember more details, sorry!

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Cease to Hope posted:

the best lore is made up
:hmmyes:

The 'Titan was fully stocked before it took a vacation from the material universe during the seige' is actual GW canon, though.

But then again:

Lostconfused posted:

That's because all lore is made up.

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

Is there a better way to cut plasticard sheets?
Because I'm tired of my ruler/scalpal skills loving up these clean lines

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
razor saw and steel ruler, just score and snap depending on thickness. use clamps or those grippy vice clamps to keep your guide in place

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
God Hands makes a nice set of plasticard shears

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

Ashcans posted:

Squat Demiurge land train

Nearly all my other Iron Warriors vehicles (drills, drills, and drills) are proxies for my squats, and gosh darn it, this one will be too! Maybe I can sink a magnet in the rear so it can pull several armed rail carriages on tabletop as well.

TehRedWheelbarrow posted:

razor saw and steel ruler, just score and snap depending on thickness. use clamps or those grippy vice clamps to keep your guide in place

loving hell, I didn't even think of clamps, that'll do it hopefully. The drat plasticard is always moving while I'm scoring for the snap, I tried a little blue stuff on the underside of the ruler but it was ineffective.

IllustriousChen
Feb 16, 2012

Sherbert Hoover posted:

I don't remember white being used at all, just that it looked extremely hot and glowing in a way that superheated steel does IRL.

They may have used a kind of neon paint. I wish I could remember more details, sorry!

https://www.instagram.com/p/Ctt-oxot0pE/?hl=en&img_index=1

This is the one I have saved.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sherbert Hoover
Dec 12, 2019

Working hard, thank you!

That's perfect and p much exactly what I had in mind. Thanks!