Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Bad NBA shooters are probably nowhere near as bad at like the act of shooting as people think.

But yeah It just becomes hard once you are in a game situation, have more mental load than just focusing on shooting.

It's why like put a bad NBA shooter in a open run at a gym and that dude will move around and pull up like Jordan, just because they can create separation, and not have to worry about poo poo other than their shot, as Jamal from the call center can't do poo poo to affect them.

Like here watch Andre Drummond shooting in a Gym casually draining 3's

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B45gixnxnaU

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD

kingcobweb posted:

John Wall talks about this in that long podcast interview that was big a while back

Basically they never had to. When you’re an athletic freak who can get by high school defenders as though they’re training dummies, why bother shooting from outside? Simply lay the ball up. Then they get to the NBA and it’s like ahhh poo poo that doesn’t work any more, what now?

Sounds interesting, do you have a link?

Is it this one?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FMHTV1PpNWA

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Shooting in the NBA isn't just shooting. It's shooting in front of 10K+ plus fans with world class length, speed, and athleticism closing out on you while you're gassed from having to play more active defense than other leagues and probably also running mental math prior to that about what they need to be doing on offense

The Bubble created a good once-in-a-lifetime (cross fingers) opportunity to look at the effect a packed, giant arena has on shooting

quote:

Several players commented that depth perception made a difference as well. Instead of playing in packed stadiums full of ecstatic fans, teams played in much smaller areas similar to where they held regular practices. Not having to consider depth perception allowed players to have an easier time making shots. Before March, NBA players who took shots from the corner were shooting 38.9 percent inside the bubble, that percentage increased to 42.8.

quote:

Similarly, a noticeable amount of players have seen an increase in free-throw percentages as well. Dwight Howard, who is notorious for his poor free-throw shooting, saw an increase from 49.4 percent to 61.8 percent, which is one of the notable increases this season. Without fans, the arena is much quieter and there are no visual distractions that could potentially overstimulate players. In the bubble, all players have “home court advantage” since they practice and play on the same courts, which means they are able to feel more comfortable with the baskets they are shooting on. Overall, free throw percentages rose from 77.1 to 80.6 percent. “I feel like it’s a hooper’s gym,” Devin Booker explains to The Ringer. “It’s easier to shoot in here with [better] depth perception. I love the setup that they have for us. There’s not much more that comes with it beyond the game of basketball.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Zogo posted:

code:
Who is the most overrated current NBA player?

Votes	Percentage
Luguentz Dort		 1	 0.7%

Lu Dort is the first player in NBA history to have a +/- of +40 in less than 20 minutes.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Seams posted:

Sounds interesting, do you have a link?

Is it this one?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FMHTV1PpNWA

Yeah that’s the one, pro listen

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Dexo posted:

Bad NBA shooters are probably nowhere near as bad at like the act of shooting as people think.

But yeah It just becomes hard once you are in a game situation, have more mental load than just focusing on shooting.

It's why like put a bad NBA shooter in a open run at a gym and that dude will move around and pull up like Jordan, just because they can create separation, and not have to worry about poo poo other than their shot, as Jamal from the call center can't do poo poo to affect them.

Like here watch Andre Drummond shooting in a Gym casually draining 3's

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B45gixnxnaU

ive heard that a lot of nba guys that can shoot 40% from three might be hitting like 80% of their catch and shoot practice threes in the gym

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

fart simpson posted:

ive heard that a lot of nba guys that can shoot 40% from three might be hitting like 80% of their catch and shoot practice threes in the gym

I've watched a Bulls warmup where Kyle Korver shot like 20 3's and missed one lol.

NBA players are completely ridiculous.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Sasha Vezenkov shot 3s without missing for 5 minutes in practice and can’t get off the bench

Red Rox
Aug 24, 2004

Motel Midnight off the hook
I was thinking, if you had magic powers that made any shot you take go in (as long as it didn’t get blocked etc) how far do you think you could go? Would you make it to the NBA? Or would you just be happy hustling dudes at the local gym.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
You would defensively die probably in the nba

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Red Rox posted:

I was thinking, if you had magic powers that made any shot you take go in (as long as it didn’t get blocked etc) how far do you think you could go? Would you make it to the NBA? Or would you just be happy hustling dudes at the local gym.

You would 100% make it to the NBA, assuming you had even average human being athleticism. And the release wasn't comically slow.

Like you'd be hunted on defense, but like Dame has historically been a traffic cone on defense, and he was maybe still is, a positive NBA player because his offense is so good.

If you could make 100% of your shots guaranteed in an NBA game, and all it meant was you had to have an offense designed around getting you open behind the 3pt line. You would have like literal perfect offensive efficiency numbers. Every time down the court, just run screens to get you open somewhere and bomb 3's. Eventually the only way to stop you would be to devise a defensive scheme that would compromise any semblance of stopping other players.

Even if your Athleticism wasn't good, you'd be on some team's bench. for moments where they need a shot made.

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP
I think I'd only be able to get the ball off if someone forgot to cover me. If I had to take a step, that'd be an instant turnover lol.

Papes
Apr 13, 2010

There's always something at the bottom of the bag.

Metapod posted:

Lu Dort is the first player in NBA history to have a +/- of +40 in less than 20 minutes.

Dort owns he really dialed in his terrible decision making on offense in the offseason

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

yeah what if there was a guy who was 5'10" and literally couldn't dribble but could hit a shot from anywhere

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Tae posted:

nah. you could just stand around without lifting your arms like old man lebron does

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

basically could the basketball robot make the NBA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y_SwHY8phQ0

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

i bet a lot of people could play defense like lebron does here:

https://videos.nba.com/nba/pbp/media/2024/01/09/0022300516/43/b33b049d-9c8a-8c41-6460-45c5e17494c1_1280x720.mp4

just do that and have your team cover for you

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Shear Modulus posted:

yeah what if there was a guy who was 5'10" and literally couldn't dribble but could hit a shot from anywhere

It depends by what you mean when you say can hit a shot from anywhere, because like the moment you say that. You have completely broken the geometry of Basketball.

Brb casually setting up screens to create space for this player to shoot from the opposite side of the court

Alternatively

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Dexo posted:

You would 100% make it to the NBA, assuming you had even average human being athleticism. And the release wasn't comically slow.

Like you'd be hunted on defense, but like Dame has historically been a traffic cone on defense, and he was maybe still is, a positive NBA player because his offense is so good.

If you could make 100% of your shots guaranteed in an NBA game, and all it meant was you had to have an offense designed around getting you open behind the 3pt line. You would have like literal perfect offensive efficiency numbers. Every time down the court, just run screens to get you open somewhere and bomb 3's. Eventually the only way to stop you would be to devise a defensive scheme that would compromise any semblance of stopping other players.

Even if your Athleticism wasn't good, you'd be on some team's bench. for moments where they need a shot made.

If you could make every shot, why go down court? The offense would be your teammates making a semi circle around you at every inbound pass. Then you get the ball, just throw it straight up, and let the magic handle the rest.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

maybe we're asking the wrong question. if there was a normal-sized lead-footed guy who hit 100% of his shots if he was within X feet of the hoop and had Y feet of open space, what would X and Y need to be for him to be an NBA starter

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

they already made a movie about this scenario but for soccer. it would go down as the basketball version of this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6cHvpuXpEHE

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Dame is a .01% super athlete that's still tall by most standards.

Like i can't uplay enough that most people will literally be hospilatlized from the playtime alone, let alone 60+ games

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Tae posted:

Dame is a .01% super athlete that's still tall by most standards.

Like i can't uplay enough that most people will literally be hospilatlized from the playtime alone, let alone 60+ games

the point is you wouldnt need to work hard like a normal nba player. you could just stand on one end of the court and do the bare minimum to jack up full court threes, play no defense at all, and win every single game

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

In that situation I don't need the offensive player to literally do anything but stand around on defense.

I'll play five on four.

All that dude has to do is shoot.

If the rule is simply you get the shot off and you make it and it doesn't matter the circumstances the shot is shot under, there is jack poo poo that can be done about that dude. If the rule is just get the shot off. They are scoring three points every possession. Maybe two points if the opponent completely sells out and then they can just pass it to a teammate for a dunk.

I don't think you guys are properly understanding the amount of gravity that a player who literally cannot miss a shot would bring to a court.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Dexo posted:

In that situation I don't need the offensive player to literally do anything but stand around on defense.

I'll play five on four.

All that dude has to do is shoot.

If the rule is simply you get the shot off and you make it and it doesn't matter the circumstances the shot is shot under, there is jack poo poo that can be done about that dude. If the rule is just get the shot off. They are scoring three points every possession. Maybe two points if the opponent completely sells out and then they can just pass it to a teammate for a dunk.

I don't think you guys are properly understanding the amount of gravity that a player who literally cannot miss a shot would bring to a court.

yah, even with 5v4 defense you'd be outscoring the other team by 2.5 to 3x on average

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
I mean in that scenario the only thing your team needs to do to win is get one more stop than the opponent.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

a team with a player like that would likely be scoring 75+ points per quarter with that guy on the floor. you wouldnt even need to play a full quarter probably. they'd throw you in the game for 10 minutes and build up a huge blowout lead and then you'd have 38 minutes of garbage time with you resting on the bench

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

https://twitter.com/keegansburner/status/1745303234170819020?s=46&t=5gxKQFzDrDvx-7j58Ypw3g

This is what growing up in Iowa does to a man

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
At that point I feel like every other team would collectively realize someone had to take you out and lifetime bench players just do a spinning backfist to your jaw every game.

Red Rox
Aug 24, 2004

pentyne posted:

At that point I feel like every other team would collectively realize someone had to take you out and lifetime bench players just do a spinning backfist to your jaw every game.

Yeah I think you’d probably get lynched as a witch before even making it to the NBA. You’d have to be very disciplined with the shots you took so they weren’t COMPLETELY bullshit.

I like to think I’m tall enough and can be fit enough but in reality my joints would probably only last 1 year.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

one year of standing for 10 minutes once every few days? how out of shape are you

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

pentyne posted:

I would enjoy this new hockey goon era of the NBA

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

what if you had a player who would block every shot that gets put up, but it's for both teams. Would you kiss him

Red Rox
Aug 24, 2004

fart simpson posted:

one year of standing for 10 minutes once every few days? how out of shape are you

I’m a goon?

Seriously though I play once a week with the boys, but when we happen to play more than once a week I start to have issues with knees, lower back etc.

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

Has there ever been an nba player who was atrocious on defence and then turned it round and become an actual great defender?

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

toggle posted:

Has there ever been an nba player who was atrocious on defence and then turned it round and become an actual great defender?

Brook Lopez was so famously bad at defense a bunch of nerds at a nerd conference had a whole panel making fun of him. He is now pretty darn good.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Tae posted:

Nah, I could hang

Red Rox
Aug 24, 2004

Someone post that slo-mo gif of LeBron murdering that little redhead guy - I think he played for the Warriors for one season. And now he’s dead.

That’s you in the NBA.

edit: this one
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-5BPb3wyG1Q

Red Rox fucked around with this message at 09:54 on Jan 12, 2024

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Red Rox posted:

Someone post that slo-no gif of LeBron murdering that little redhead guy - I think he played for the Warriors for one season. And now he’s dead.

That’s you in the NBA.

edit: this one
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-5BPb3wyG1Q

lebron hit him in the face because the dude made a 3 on the previous play lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red Rox
Aug 24, 2004

fart simpson posted:

lebron hit him in the face because the dude made a 3 over lebron on the previous play lol

lol exactly! Players would loving hate you for some of the bullshit shots you would make over them.