Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.
Israel's response: South Africa, which is functioning as the legal arm of the Hamas terrorist organization, utterly distorted the reality in Gaza following the October 7 massacre and completely ignored the fact that Hamas terrorists infiltrated Israel, murdered, executed, massacred, raped and abducted Israeli citizens, simply because they were Israelis, in an attempt to carry out genocide.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.

So they're not denying anything, just going with they're allowed to do anything they want because Hamas also did bad things.

That's some kind of strategy.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

It's a piss poor defense on its own but South Africa already laid out in their argument that this didn't begin on October 7 and there's been a history of subjugation and apartheid.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
What do ICJ proceedings mean? Can criminal charges be brought against Israeli leaders? Does the U.S. hold its magical veto power over the verdict?

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

PostNouveau posted:

What do ICJ proceedings mean? Can criminal charges be brought against Israeli leaders? Does the U.S. hold its magical veto power over the verdict?

The NATO countries, which bullied everyone into disallowing Putin to go places on the basis of an international court proceeding, will now say the same courts dont matter and will allow netanyahu to go anywhere

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

PostNouveau posted:

According to my understanding: it's a legal rather than a political body so no state will have a say in the outcome, just the judges. This will be a preliminary verdict in which the ICJ can issue an injunction for Israel to stop its offensive which is theoretically binding but in practice unenforceable (see: its injunction for Russia to stop its Ukraine invasion in March 2022). A full verdict on whether genocide has actually occured generally takes many years to reach. It has no power to bring charges against individuals - the ICC is the one that made it hard for Putin to travel around, not the ICJ.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Irony Be My Shield posted:

According to my understanding: it's a legal rather than a political body so no state will have a say in the outcome, just the judges. This will be a preliminary verdict in which the ICJ can issue an injunction for Israel to stop its offensive which is theoretically binding but in practice unenforceable (see: its injunction for Russia to stop its Ukraine invasion in March 2022). A full verdict on whether genocide has actually occured generally takes many years to reach. It has no power to bring charges against individuals - the ICC is the one that made it hard for Putin to travel around, not the ICJ.

It's great someone is making the case, but disappointing to hear that individual charges aren't possible.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
As cynical as I am I found this powerful

https://twitter.com/michaelmagee__/status/1745451576016179469?t=kSkpTmQw7ATd2YU8awgGyg&s=19

plogo
Jan 20, 2009

Irony Be My Shield posted:

The judges are selected based on the permanently UN security council + 10 other countries. You can game things out based on the countries which have judges in the body. https://www.icj-cij.org/current-members .

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

For an organization that exists within an open air concentration camp, HAMAS has incredible international presence according to Israel. They control the UN, Doctors Without Borders, South Africa, major western media orgs. Incredible for a group that has to routinely use piss fueled rockets

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer

PostNouveau posted:

Given the track record, as others said, basically nothing.

It’s also a crapshoot on getting the verdict you want. They decided that Srebrenica wasn’t like a real genocide just genocide adjacent. There’s been cases from Africa where the initial ruling got overturned on appeal. They’ve had no impact on the genocide of the Rohingya, they told Myanmar to stop doing a genocide, and Myanmar just continued on.

Don’t be surprised if they rule it not a genocide on some technicality.

youcallthatatwist
Sep 22, 2013
What's important about the ICJ case, even as it exists so far, is that South Africa has now produced an incredibly clear and thorough compilation of Israel's crimes against humanity. This is what our kids will judge us by.

International law is at a flashpoint no matter which way the court rules. If SA loses the case, they've proven that the UN is an organization with no purpose and no legitimacy. If they win, it becomes much harder for the West to keep stuffing their hands in their ears and acting like nothing's wrong.

E: I've also seen a lot of Palestinians claiming that this is the first time they've ever seen their voice represented by a mainstream institution.

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007

Darth Walrus posted:

An excellent summary from a guy who decided to livetweet it, if you prefer text:

https://x.com/altymcaltalt3/status/1745387268322296045?s=46&t=ARI_L-v32Oind1-d9B3a3Q

And as it appears Israel is just going to base their argument around snuff film propaganda pieces they’ve made, they are just going to say that it’s our right to do this no matter what.

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

Darth Walrus posted:

An excellent summary from a guy who decided to livetweet it, if you prefer text:

https://x.com/altymcaltalt3/status/1745387268322296045?s=46&t=ARI_L-v32Oind1-d9B3a3Q

This was very good, thank you.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Hey I actually know this lawyer and have worked with them! Awesome!

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Necrothatcher posted:

Very cool!

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

The Israeli government/media just proving South Africa’s point today in their completely unhinged responses to the accusations

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Appreciate South Africa pointing out that Israel has no right to self defense under international law when it comes to Gaza and the West Bank as they're the occupying power.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Dr. VooDoo posted:

For an organization that exists within an open air concentration camp, HAMAS has incredible international presence according to Israel. They control the UN, Doctors Without Borders, South Africa, major western media orgs. Incredible for a group that has to routinely use piss fueled rockets

Oh you didn't know that Hamas is incredibly rich and has ALL the money in the world it gets from the far left aid and refuses to spend on anything BUT piss fueled rockets?

Or that is what I'm told.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Necrothatcher posted:

That rules as much as your amazing av of yourself.

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

ummel posted:

The point of my dumb post is that there's a lot to be upset about. Don't subject yourself to dumb TikTok rage bait, imo.

The Sean posted:

Otoh, one significant resource for understanding past conflicts in history, and the actors in them, is communications between eachother. Letters between soldiers or their families for instance. We now get to see what these people are thinking in real time. Extra value when they openly admit they're doing war crimes.

Edit: poo poo the Abu Graib bs came out in a similar fashion and showed the world what we were doing there.

Coming back to this. Now their social media posts are being brought up in international court. poo poo matters.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Judging by the social media I’ve ill-advisedly read, the gambit shall be: “what about the genocide of white farmers that I imagined is happening, South Africa??? What about that, eh???”

Hong XiuQuan
Feb 19, 2008

"Without justice for the Palestinians there will be no peace in the Middle East."
Well, the US has decided to provide some big-boom distractions by bombing Yemen.

Utterly stupid, reckless stuff.

Dunite
Oct 12, 2013
Disappointing to see the US directly taking a role in a conflict only when money is hurt.

Would have been cheaper to tell Israel to STFU and sit down rather than invade and you could have saved 1 bajillion dollars in deployed assets and expended ordinance

E: Even worse, the US having to spend all this money over a loose definition of an ally nuking global trade routes.

386-SX 25Mhz VGA
Jan 14, 2003

(C) American Megatrends Inc.,

Dunite posted:

Disappointing to see the US directly taking a role in a conflict only when money is hurt.

Would have been cheaper to tell Israel to STFU and sit down rather than invade and you could have saved 1 bajillion dollars in deployed assets and expended ordinance

E: Even worse, the US having to spend all this money over a loose definition of an ally nuking global trade routes.
It's not just about money, the US ruling class enthusiastically supports the genocide. They've been directly involved the entire time, something like half of the carbon emissions from the genocide have been from US planes flying arms to the perpetrators.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

I just feel like Hamas would have been a lot more sensible if they'd used their fathomless wealth and unmatched global influence to do something that aids them in fighting Israel rather than subverting the distant country of the Republic of South Africa so that they can make a very coherent, but in practical terms almost certainly ineffective, case in an international body that Israel can simply ignore.

ASIC v Danny Bro
May 1, 2012

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
CAPTAIN KILL

Just HEAPS of dead Palestinnos for brekkie, mate!

Hong XiuQuan posted:

Well, the US has decided to provide some big-boom distractions by bombing Yemen.

Utterly stupid, reckless stuff.

Considering they're bombing targets of the Houthi's, who have attacked civilians and civilian ships (and were repeatedly warned not to), this response is entirely justified.

386-SX 25Mhz VGA
Jan 14, 2003

(C) American Megatrends Inc.,

ASIC v Danny Bro posted:

Considering they're bombing targets of the Houthi's, who have attacked civilians and civilian ships (and were repeatedly warned not to), this response is entirely justified.
Considering they’re bombing targets of Israel’s, who have attacked civilians and are starving and dehydrating a population of two million (and were repeatedly warned not to), the attacks are completely justified.

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

ASIC v Danny Bro posted:

The Houthis are operating under the responsibility to protect. They're being bombed for daring to attempt to disrupt an ongoing genocide but the allies of the terror state executing the genocide. This has nothing to do with "civilians" (or do Palestinians not count as civilians?). It's an unjust and deeply evil assault in service of a genocide.

ASIC v Danny Bro
May 1, 2012

CAPTAIN KILL

Pentecoastal Elites posted:

The Houthis are operating under the responsibility to protect. They're being bombed for daring to attempt to disrupt an ongoing genocide but the allies of the terror state executing the genocide. This has nothing to do with "civilians" (or do Palestinians not count as civilians?). It's an unjust and deeply evil assault in service of a genocide.

"This has nothing to do with civilians" who do you think have been manning the ships they've been targeting and kidnapping?

Were they operating under the responsibility to protect when they were doing this?:
https://www.arabnews.com/node/2435691/middle-east
https://www.thenationalnews.com/gulf-news/2022/08/10/yemens-houthi-rebels-admit-kidnapping-more-than-2800-civilians-in-past-year/
https://www.arabnews.com/node/2301121/middle-east

ASIC v Danny Bro fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Jan 12, 2024

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

ASIC v Danny Bro posted:

"This has nothing to do with civilians" who do you think have been manning the ships they've been targeting and kidnapping?

Are there no Palestinian civilians? Do they need to be on a boat to be civilians?

ASIC v Danny Bro
May 1, 2012

CAPTAIN KILL

Pentecoastal Elites posted:

Are there no Palestinian civilians? Do they need to be on a boat to be civilians?

Of course there are Palestinian civilians.

Can you at least accept that the Houthi's have been targeting civilians in their own country for kidnapping, torture, false imprisonment and murder, as well as civilians on civilian ships?

These are not people who operate under a responsibility to protect.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary
I do feel there's been an over-lionization of the Houthis and their actions in the past month. I also feel bombing Yemen was an unjustifiable escalation of the conflict that should have ended months ago. These are not mutually exclusive

HazCat
May 4, 2009

It's easy to lionize Ansarallah when you look at the groups they are opposing.

For example, if we're talking about kidnapping civilians being something to condemn:

quote:

As of November 1, Israeli authorities held nearly 7,000 Palestinians from the occupied territory in detention for alleged security offenses, according to the Israeli human rights organization HaMoked. Far more Palestinians have been arrested since the October 7 attacks in Israel than have been released in the last week. Among those being held are dozens of women and scores of children.

The majority have never been convicted of a crime, including more than 2,000 of them being held in administrative detention, in which the Israeli military detains a person without charge or trial. Such detention can be renewed indefinitely based on secret information, which the detainee is not allowed to see. Administrative detainees are held on the presumption that they might commit an offense at some point in the future. Israeli authorities have held children, human rights defenders and Palestinian political activists, among others, in administrative detention, often for prolonged periods.

From here.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
I'd argue that there have been moments where plenty of people in here have been happy about US actions, despite the US being responsible for a plethora of atrocities past and present.

I would make the case that the same can apply to the Houthis: you don't have to approve of their antagonism towards Jewish Yemeni nor their methods of consolidating power, to approve of their decision to blockade Israel-affiliated ships under international Genocide Prevention acts, nor their resillience against Saudi and USA bombing.

ASIC v Danny Bro
May 1, 2012

CAPTAIN KILL

DarklyDreaming posted:

I do feel there's been an over-lionization of the Houthis and their actions in the past month. I also feel bombing Yemen was an unjustifiable escalation of the conflict that should have ended months ago. These are not mutually exclusive

I agree that they're not mutually exclusive, though the targets that were hit in Yemen were Houthi targets.

And to harp on again, they were warned repeatedly to cease attacks on civilian vessels, both in statements from governments and at the UN security council.

Military responses for their actions against civilian vessels and crew are entirely their own responsibility. If they didn't want to be bombed, they should have not targeted those vessels.

Hell, some of those vessels weren't even bound for Israeli ports as their end point! So I'm not entirely certain how their excuse of "being Israeli ships" could fly.

Neurolimal posted:

I would make the case that the same can apply to the Houthis: you don't have to approve of their antagonism towards Jewish Yemeni nor their methods of consolidating power, to approve of their decision to blockade Israel-affiliated ships under international Genocide Prevention acts, nor their resillience against Saudi and USA bombing.

How does the Houthi's kidnapping sailors from ships fit into this?

ASIC v Danny Bro fucked around with this message at 08:09 on Jan 12, 2024

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender
Is there a list of justifications for individual attacks? The Wikipedia articles dont always replicate claims. What is the link between Israel and the Maersk Hangzhou?

piL fucked around with this message at 08:13 on Jan 12, 2024

ASIC v Danny Bro
May 1, 2012

CAPTAIN KILL

piL posted:

Is there a list of justifications for individual attacks? The Wikipedia articles dont always replicate claims. What is the link between Israel and the Maersk Hangzhou?

This would probably be a good start:

https://www.haaretz.com/israel-news...bc-5dff7a430000

Considering a fair few of them were neither connected to Israel or dropping/receiving cargo from an Israeli port, the Houthis need to do their homework better.

Edit: for below response, we'd probably have to researching individual stories for each attack (the full story links are... crap all). At least now we've got the vessel names, the date of the attacks, port of departure, port of destination and some ownership details. From there, we can build in Houthi representative responses and reasons for their attacks, articles written at the time, and government responses.

Second edit: actually, there's a few articles that don't link to the main one; they relate to the following vessels:
-HMS Diamond
-Galaxy Leader
-Languedoc
-USS Laboon
-Swan Atlantic
-MSC Clara
-Unity Explorer
-Maersk Gibraltar
-Blaamanen
-Palatium III
-Sai Baba
-Strinda
-Ardmore Encounter
-Uss Carney
-Central Park
-An unknown vessel
-Chem Pluto
-CMA CGM Symi

Were the links not working depending on the browser we were using? Just note, some of those links are paywalled.

ASIC v Danny Bro fucked around with this message at 08:51 on Jan 12, 2024

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

ASIC v Danny Bro posted:

This would probably be a good start:

https://www.haaretz.com/israel-news...bc-5dff7a430000

Considering a fair few of them were neither connected to Israel or dropping/receiving cargo from an Israeli port, the Houthis need to do their homework better.

I looked at a few of the links. I had assumed that the Houthis would at least claim some connection, whether accurate or not. I dont really see their claims, if any, being listed in the articles linked on that map.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler

piL posted:

I looked at a few of the links. I had assumed that the Houthis would at least claim some connection, whether accurate or not. I dont really see their claims, if any, being listed in the articles linked on that map.

The Houthis simply claim the crew are also Israelis. No proof in the form of passports or anything but it's enough for their supporters.

https://nitter.net/AJArabic/status/1726267687528177775

quote:

#Urgent | A leader in the Ansar Allah group #Houthis to Al Jazeera: Preliminary investigations indicate that Israelis of other nationalities were on board the ship
#Gaza_War