Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

I appreciate some old fashioned griefing.

Cheating is lame, but using the in game mechanics to gently caress you is pretty funny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

SilvergunSuperman posted:

I appreciate some old fashioned griefing.

Cheating is lame, but using the in game mechanics to gently caress you is pretty funny.

The best Elden Ring experience ever was when they finally patched the game to give invaders I-frames on spawn and I just stood there deleting gank squads with AoE ashes and exploding physicks for like a week straight. Fromsoft PVP is the best because it can be almost anything you want.

I actually really enjoyed the colosseum, too.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

I remember crouching in the corner of a shop in morrowind, putting a stack of coins on the up arrow key, going to the pub and coming back later to have max stealth.

I probably could've just turned on god mode, it achieves the same thing.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Panzeh posted:

Yeah, there's a lot of weird design decisions, like "leveling by doing" which generally incentivizes either finding an exploit or doing something until you're so bored of it you want to never do it any more. Also putting chances to hit in a first person real-time game is always going to just not work from a visceral perspective- when you give someone a type of controls there's a lot of things that come with that. I also don't like when FPS games try to have RPG mechanics that give your gun a huge cone until you make number go up because it makes the controls suck (i'm lookin' at you, deuce ex).

Moving the entirety of skill progression to learn by doing ruined bannerlord for me, despite so much of the game being superior to mount and blade warband.

There was a guy, Linley Henzell (interview), who made a lot of loving amazing genre-defining games by himself, and one of his design quirks was 'leveling by doing'. It didn't work very well in the roguelike he made, Dungeon Crawl, but subsequent stuff where vertical shooters where there's no opportunity for tedium and so the concept was executed really drat well. Go play Garden of Coloured Lights, it's a beautiful musical shooter that's a joy to behold. Total genius, shame he retired/moved on.

Serephina fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Jan 12, 2024

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Panzeh posted:

Yeah, there's a lot of weird design decisions, like "leveling by doing" which generally incentivizes either finding an exploit or doing something until you're so bored of it you want to never do it any more.

This is the very first thing every single person who has said, "D&D is stupid! I'll make my own RPG!" does. It's a mistake that has been made more times than I can count over the past fifty years. The smart ones realize the perverse, unfun incentives such a system creates and abandon the idea. And then some weirdos just stick by it as everyone groans.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Random Stranger posted:

This is the very first thing every single person who has said, "D&D is stupid! I'll make my own RPG!" does. It's a mistake that has been made more times than I can count over the past fifty years. The smart ones realize the perverse, unfun incentives such a system creates and abandon the idea. And then some weirdos just stick by it as everyone groans.

Starfield did a worst of both worlds thing, where you level up and spend points on your skills… but being able to spend those points is gated behind grinding those skills. And then the tiers of new skills are gated behind how many points you’ve spent on skills in that category (out of 4). So you occasionally have to grind a skill you don’t even want to unlock a skill you do want, and then you have to do unfun grinding with that skill to level it up enough to be useful.

Paper Tiger
Jun 17, 2007

🖨️🐯torn apart by idle hands

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Starfield did a worst of both worlds thing, where you level up and spend points on your skills… but being able to spend those points is gated behind grinding those skills. And then the tiers of new skills are gated behind how many points you’ve spent on skills in that category (out of 4). So you occasionally have to grind a skill you don’t even want to unlock a skill you do want, and then you have to do unfun grinding with that skill to level it up enough to be useful.

Good lord

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

I miss the days of Nintendo Power, I didnt subscribe as a kid but loved old games and remember finding a shitload of them in a thrift store one time was like hitting the lottery.

I got a few solid years of Nintendo Power subscriptions as birthday presents when I was a kid, like the 2nd or 3rd year?

Early Nintendo Power owned hard. Weirdly very little actual information about games (and some of it was just bullshit copy) but each one was a mini-artbook for the main game of the month.

also spent more than a few bucks calling the Nintendo Power hotline. :argh: The Lost Vikings!!! :argh:

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Modal Auxiliary posted:

The best Elden Ring experience ever was when they finally patched the game to give invaders I-frames on spawn and I just stood there deleting gank squads with AoE ashes and exploding physicks for like a week straight. Fromsoft PVP is the best because it can be almost anything you want.

I actually really enjoyed the colosseum, too.

Nah that can't be better than the feeling I got refunding that bad game.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

People looked forward to this

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Microsoft should quietly update every Xbox to be able to launch a standard Windows desktop. If they're gonna go third party, why not? By giving up exclusives they're making PS5 the place you can play both Spider-man and Halo (or whatever is a good xbox game people want these days, if that exists) aside from the PC and Steam Deck, meaning there would be virtually no incentive for getting an Xbox at all (maybe timed exclusives? But that still leaves PC). They might have to increase the prices of the hardware a bit, but given the sorry state of their marketshare I doubt the typical console sales model was working great for them.

Not saying that the core UX needs to change, more that Microsoft should merge the Xbox stuff back into Windows. A TV box that could play Xbox with Game Pass, Steam games and emulators without needing to gently caress around with hacks and dev modes, with their platform's respective console-style UIs would be killer.

SCheeseman fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Jan 12, 2024

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I’m about 98% certain the only reason windows has maintained relevance among basic/retail consumers is because of video games, Office, and because sweaty computer touchers have spent so much of their life figuring out how windows operates in a professional setting they don’t want to deal with apple computers which are 9000% easier to use for normal people.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

jokes posted:

I’m about 98% certain the only reason windows has maintained relevance among basic/retail consumers is because of video games, Office, and because sweaty computer touchers have spent so much of their life figuring out how windows operates in a professional setting they don’t want to deal with apple computers which are 9000% easier to use for normal people.

factories and industry literally run on old fortran, cobol, dos, xp and 7 computers

nobody in industry gives a flying loving poo poo about an apple computer except like 4 IT dudes that have apple ][s running in a closet maybe

edit: speaking machine operators not operating some custom OS here

MrQwerty fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Jan 12, 2024

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

jokes posted:

sweaty lips covered in cheeto dust muttering something about active domain

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost
If you are not a creative, literally nobody in IT gives a gently caress about Macs or Apple products in general

enterprise corporations buy ipads to use as touchpads for scheduling conference rooms; they install special software to make them dumb as poo poo.

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

“macs can’t bind,” they moan, before knocking back another swig of bawls

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Dick Fontaine posted:

“macs can’t bind,” they moan, before knocking back another swig of bawls

gotta say it's nice to be able to buy a new motherboard from a custom parts company for the specific dell computer that runs your wave machine (and windows XP) and still get to use the keyboard and mouse vs. idk trying to press macbook chiclet keys full of dross and solder skim (there's no way the mac would survive a week)

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

jokes posted:

i dont care how good apple's os is if they don't actually sell it as software i can install on my own mid budget desktop machine
i dont wanna buy their overpriced titanium laptops that charge like 100x market price for ram/ssd size upgrades and force you to buy special $20 apple-only cables instead of $2 generic ones for basic poo poo like video out or charging or whatever

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

jokes posted:

:wrong:

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Vampire Panties posted:

enterprise corporations buy ipads to use as touchpads for scheduling conference rooms; they install special software to make them dumb as poo poo.

they used to have ipads in cleanrooms for us as SOP machines and calculators; 5/6 of them didn't have a calculator (which was very useful when running 3 lines at a time) and 90% of the time they couldn't connect to the SOP server
worthless

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

All technology is bad hth

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

jokes posted:

Windows is a loving OS for babies, I don't know why people who have made paying 10 times market rates for hardware into an identity think it's so scary.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
It's because of DirectX

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

pretty lame to build your identity around hatefucking operating systems in the building your identity around hatefucking video games thread

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

please sirs, this is where we talk about how much we do or do not like dark souls 2

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Any Persona fans here?

I bought 5 but before I start it, is it better to hop in at an earlier game?

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Any Persona fans here?

All the numbered games are unrelated, so hop right in. Did you buy it on Steam? I think people generally recommend Persona 5 Royal, so if you got the non-Royal version I'd refund and get the updated version.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Any Persona fans here?

Nah it's not dark souls 2 so it sucks sorry friend

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

ymgve posted:

All the numbered games are unrelated, so hop right in. Did you buy it on Steam? I think people generally recommend Persona 5 Royal, so if you got the non-Royal version I'd refund and get the updated version.

I bought it a while back and the royal upgrade seems to be free on psn? I'm not sure, I read you need to talk to some dude in game to unlock it after installing.

It's cool the stories are unrelated, but I guess I was also asking if I do like it are the older ones hard to go back to as far as rudimentary/unrefined mechanics etc? Older graphics don't bother me.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!

jokes posted:

Macs can’t join an Enterprise Domain. You’ve never worked in IT for a huge company have you? A fleet of Windows machines can be locked down with group policies and updates and roll outs can be administered remotely. Mac’s are a pain in the rear end to maintain compared to Windows.

lol, the United States Military uses Lenovo Thinkpads running Windows on combat deployments. The astronauts on the ISS use the same systems. Macs are expensive toys for posers. Cmon now, you are being very silly.

Anyway video games are cool because they are math.

tango alpha delta fucked around with this message at 11:47 on Jan 12, 2024

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Dick Fontaine posted:

please sirs, this is where we talk about how much we do or do not like dark souls 2

Can we narrow this down to just talking about how we like dark souls 2?

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

I bought it a while back and the royal upgrade seems to be free on psn? I'm not sure, I read you need to talk to some dude in game to unlock it after installing.

It's cool the stories are unrelated, but I guess I was also asking if I do like it are the older ones hard to go back to as far as rudimentary/unrefined mechanics etc? Older graphics don't bother me.

The Persona 3 remake comes out in a few weeks so if you like 5 you can try 3. Persona 4 Golden is also really good. Come say hi in the Persona thread.

idk about Royal being a free upgrade, it's a different version that you have to buy as its own game which adds a decent amount of stuff. I'd recommend you play Royal and not touch base P5.

AlphaKeny1 fucked around with this message at 12:14 on Jan 12, 2024

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

syntaxfunction posted:

All technology is bad hth

I've had a wooden stick for ten years and it hasn't broken once. :colbert:

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

Just gonna say I've never been unable to use an abacus or drawing compass because of driver updates or because the paper was incompatible :smug:

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Dick Fontaine posted:

pretty lame to build your identity around hatefucking operating systems in the building your identity around hatefucking video games thread

Nobody likes Windows. They just hate Apple way more.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Oh yeah it was quite bad. Honestly one of the worst aspects of the game. It doesn't even fit the promise of the learn by doing systems which is trying to make 'learning' realistic, whereas this kind of reduces 'learning' to a bunch of cheevos.

Panzeh fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Jan 12, 2024

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
I think it would be cool to try an RPG where the personal stats are either non-existent or only relate to the ability to be able to use certain equipment. Cos really most of the time, there's no capability for somebody to become infinitely stronger than their normal adult selves, just a matter of degrees. It's a really artificial way to go about it. So it could just be based entirely on the equipment you can find, and maybe some innate skills you start off with like certain kinds of magic/tools you can learn when you find it.

It's all just numbers but I think it'd be fun to just get a chunk of upgrade all at once when you find new equipment. Also it can disincentivise grinding cos you aren't getting any XP, you're just hunting for gear/treasure/items to beat the battles that matter.

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

roomtone posted:

I think it would be cool to try an RPG where the personal stats are either non-existent or only relate to the ability to be able to use certain equipment. Cos really most of the time, there's no capability for somebody to become infinitely stronger than their normal adult selves, just a matter of degrees. It's a really artificial way to go about it. So it could just be based entirely on the equipment you can find, and maybe some innate skills you start off with like certain kinds of magic/tools you can learn when you find it.

It's all just numbers but I think it'd be fun to just get a chunk of upgrade all at once when you find new equipment. Also it can disincentivise grinding cos you aren't getting any XP, you're just hunting for gear/treasure/items to beat the battles that matter.

Gear grinding is 10 times worse than exp grinding (which is still bullshit, mind you). It just feels better because RNG literally hacks your brain into producing the fun juice.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Panzeh posted:

Oh yeah it was quite bad. Honestly one of the worst aspects of the game. It doesn't even fit the promise of the learn by doing systems which is trying to make 'learning' realistic, whereas this kind of reduces 'learning' to a bunch of cheevos.

I completely forgot to mention the worst parts:

1)The grinding is not retroactive. Let’s say the step to be allowed to spend a skill point to go to level 1->2 in ballistics requires you to kill 50 dudes with ballistic guns. Only kills after you spent the point count, and if you get another couple dozen kills after you hit 50 but before you level up, those don’t count for the next step.

2)There’s no reason to do half the grinding poo poo it wants you to outside of the game gating leveling the skill up. It’s so bad on the crafting skills- those don’t determine yield, or make the stuff you craft better, they just determine what recipes you can make. You still have to research those recipes after you level up, and you can’t research them before you level up because gently caress you, that’s why. So you need to add and remove a reflex sight to a gun 25 times to get weaponsmithing 3 so you can spend resources for the ability to spend more resources to craft the sight you want for like one gun.

3)Some of the stuff that’s gated behind skill points is so loving dumb. Theres a boost pack that’s one of the three pieces of armor you can equip. You cannot actually use it as a boost pack without unlocking the skill. Same with maneuvering thrusters for your ship, targeting ship subsystems, etc.

Bethesda seriously saw feedback about how bad their skill systems are and found a way to make it even more dogshit. It’s nearly an accomplishment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

roomtone posted:

This is just kind of a normal action game, like doom, the defining aspect of RPGs mechanically is stats that go up. Turns out, making bars go up is addictive, so every game started adopting RPG mechanics.