Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: OwlFancier)

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Mr Teatime posted:

you really don’t need to hand it to the Houthis

Counterpoint: Yes you do :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Josef bugman posted:

Quick none war related question, but does anyone know if Admiral is a decent car insurer? I only ask because the one I'm with at the moment has put prices up £150 for no reason and was looking around to see what is best.

Admiral targets itself at the budget market, and budget insurers tend to have a few features that keep the up-front costs down: offshore call centres; courtesy cars instead of hire cars; admin fees for amendments; extra charges for doing repairs out of network, and higher excesses for specific kinds of claims that don’t show up front and centre on the price comparison page. That said a lot of “premium” insurers are have been working this stuff into their services for years now, so going budget is no longer the massive downgrade in service it used to be.

As long as you don’t want to insist on having any hypothetical repairs don’t by a specific garage and aren’t making constant changes to you policy (e.g. adding and removing drivers), the main things to watch out for are the hire vs courtesy car cover and variant excesses. So, with a policy that has courtesy car cover, generally the wording in the policy will be that if you have an accident the garage doing the repairs will provide you a courtesy car subject to availability. That means that if your car is getting repaired, you’re not necessarily guaranteed a replacement car in the meantime. But more to the point, if you have an accident that writes your car off, or your car gets stolen, because there’s no repairer, there is no courtesy car. Whereas a policy that has hire cover will give you a car in the event of a claim for those sorts of things.

For the excesses, it’s sometimes ridiculously hard to spot if you’re starting from a price comparison website. Different companies will put them on different things—maybe company A has a higher glass excess than competitors, maybe company B has an extra £100 excess on theft claims, Company C has a higher excess if the car is written off, bullshit like that. Check the policy you’re thinking of taking out very carefully and when you do get one, make sure to read the schedule when the paperwork arrives to check the excesses are what you thought you agreed to, because there’s nothing worse than having a poo poo day where you crash your car made even more lovely by finding out it’s going to cost you £250 more than you expected.

I know all that is kind of non-specific to admiral but it’s the sort of thing to consider when weighing things up.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

Dabir posted:

Have you considered that west bad

Its the best of a bad bunch.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Pistol_Pete posted:

Counterpoint: Yes you do :colbert:

To expand on this: the Houthis (or Ansar Allah, as they prefer to be called) are one of the very few entities that are standing up, taking real, effective action to defend the Palestinians and stop the Israeli genocide and are putting themselves in huge danger by doing so. I'm sure some people would prefer it if they were writing strongly-worded letters to the authorities instead, but whatever.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

Josef bugman posted:

Quick none war related question, but does anyone know if Admiral is a decent car insurer? I only ask because the one I'm with at the moment has put prices up £150 for no reason and was looking around to see what is best.

I've got my home and car insurance with them and found them easy to deal with. Much better than Hastings who i was with before. Also they're happy to negotiate deals if you can find something cheaper.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
i would suggest that responding to container loads of europe-bound sex arses and plastic gold coloured waving kitties by dropping bombs onto people from the air indiscriminately is a bad long-term strategy for good global relations

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

ahahahhahahahahahahha! it was me all along, old madman jermany crowburns!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Jeremy "bomb-hater" Corbyn

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
I hope the Houthis win, and furthermore I hope they conquer England.

Mr Teatime
Apr 7, 2009

Pistol_Pete posted:

To expand on this: the Houthis (or Ansar Allah, as they prefer to be called) are one of the very few entities that are standing up, taking real, effective action to defend the Palestinians and stop the Israeli genocide and are putting themselves in huge danger by doing so. I'm sure some people would prefer it if they were writing strongly-worded letters to the authorities instead, but whatever.

They’ve put a bunch of innocent workers in danger for no appreciable gain other than increasing the stock prices and profits of the shipping companies.

Like I’m sorry but it’s fairly callous to suggest that a bunch of people who are mostly not even from the west need to get drone struck and shot at to sort of nebulously stick it to Israel somehow.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

Pistol_Pete posted:

a pipe smoking dog posted:

I've got my home and car insurance with them and found them easy to deal with. Much better than Hastings who i was with before. Also they're happy to negotiate deals if you can find something cheaper.

I read these two in succession and was very confused

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Mr Teatime posted:

They’ve put a bunch of innocent workers in danger for no appreciable gain other than increasing the stock prices and profits of the shipping companies.

Like I’m sorry but it’s fairly callous to suggest that a bunch of people who are mostly not even from the west need to get drone struck and shot at to sort of nebulously stick it to Israel somehow.

Who the gently caress let Paul Mason in the thread?

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Mr Teatime posted:

They’ve certainly tried to kill people on the ships because I don’t know what else you would call shooting them up and firing missiles at them. I’m not thrilled about this conflict getting worse but you really don’t need to hand it to the Houthis and maybe spare a thought for the people on the ships who are facing the sudden prospect of getting murdered at work.

Of course the raids are traumatic for the people on the ships. It sucks.

But some perspective. The state of Israel has in the past 3 months killed almost 25,000, with the west barely blinking an eye. The Houthi in these raids have, as far as I can tell, taken 2 ships, wounded 6 and taken captive 25. Tell me why this is worse than the indiscriminate destruction of the Gaza Strip.

It sucks, conflict is bad. But the west defends these bombings as a proportional response. Is it more proportional than threatening the Red Sea trade route in response to what many call an attempted genocide?

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
The sex arses must flow.

Mr Teatime
Apr 7, 2009

forkboy84 posted:

Tell me why this is worse than the indiscriminate destruction of the Gaza Strip.

It’s not and I’m not suggesting that. I’m just seeing a lot of discussion around attacking shipping being framed in terms of striking at big business or corporate profits or whatever and actually that means it’s good and fine because really, who would care about that? I just have a personal tie to this and wanted to remind people that it’s not faceless corporations that are being attacked, it’s people who have literally no say in any of this.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

forkboy84 posted:

Of course the raids are traumatic for the people on the ships. It sucks.

But some perspective. The state of Israel has in the past 3 months killed almost 25,000, with the west barely blinking an eye. The Houthi in these raids have, as far as I can tell, taken 2 ships, wounded 6 and taken captive 25. Tell me why this is worse than the indiscriminate destruction of the Gaza Strip.

It sucks, conflict is bad. But the west defends these bombings as a proportional response. Is it more proportional than threatening the Red Sea trade route in response to what many call an attempted genocide?

It's definitely not worse than what the Israelis h be done but it's still targeting civilians. If the Houthis want to drone strike American military bases, sure, let them have it. But targeting civilians is not on, and never has been, and I'm surprised anyone in this thread is supporting it (well, I'm not that surprised about Pistol Pete)

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Josef bugman posted:

We just moved away from Admiral because they put up their price by £150 for no reason :v:

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
Moneysavingexpert has some good pages on car insurance in general, always worth checking those out.

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

Mr Teatime posted:

to sort of nebulously stick it to Israel somehow.

discouraging and preventing ships from entering or leaving Eilat to deny resupply to Israel seems like the opposite of nebulous to me?

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Reading about the Houthis led me down this rabbit hole on Wikipedia:

Wikipedia posted:

As of 2022, 23% of enlistees to the British armed forces were aged under 18. Most child recruits were enlisted for the army, where 30% of the intake in the year 2021-2022 was aged under 18; more new soldiers were 16 than any other age.

In negotiations on the OPAC during the 1990s the UK joined the US in opposing a global minimum enlistment age of 18. Children's rights bodies have criticised the UK's continuing reliance on children to staff its armed forces.

Like, can we actually not? Having child soldiers is not cool & good.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Teenagers: Don't carry a knife. Take life legitimately - enlist now!

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Nenonen posted:

The sex arses must flow.

Many people are saying this

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
Half the kids that walk to school past my front door are dressed in camo fatigues some days.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Yeah it's been weird seeing all the 90s and 00s fashion coming back around

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

kecske posted:

discouraging and preventing ships from entering or leaving Eilat to deny resupply to Israel seems like the opposite of nebulous to me?

A Japanese operated ship taking cars from Turkey to India.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Pistol_Pete posted:

On the other hand their treatment of women is up there with the Taliban's. Let's not pretend that they're happiness and flowers.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Mega Comrade posted:

Flags of convenience do complicate the issue but: is this the one you are talking about?

quote:

Ray Car Carriers is registered in the Isle of Man and is owned by Israel’s Abraham “Rami” Ungar.

Angrymog posted:

On the other hand their treatment of women is up there with the Taliban's. Let's not pretend that they're happiness and flowers.

And our green lighting and material assistance in Israel's genociding of Gaza is up there with the Nazis. Let's not pretend that we are happiness and flowers either

fuctifino fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Jan 12, 2024

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

If we're looking for a political entity in this who aren't shits then I have some bad news.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Azza Bamboo posted:

We don't want this country to become a safe haven for hags across the globe. Opening the door for these criminals would be undoubtedly catastrophic. Our zero tolerance approach has allowed us to enjoy unsoured milk, has reduced the amount of facial warts, and has protected firstborn sons across the nation from abduction and damaging decades-long fraud. Some on the left may think our methods were uncalled for, but if you saw the havoc these terrorists wrought on our communities, you'd agree with me that we cannot afford to loosen our grip on this threat to our great nation. That is why I am backing the bonfire bill.

But counterpoint: becoming a haven for Witches will be a boon to our Mobile Suit Industry.

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

"Sir Keith, do you think the women tried by drowning should have their convictions posthumously overturned?"

"I think they should be looked at again"

DreddyMatt
Nov 25, 2002
MY LACK OF KNOWLEDGE OF CURRENT EVENTS IS EXCEEDED ONLY BY MY UNQUENCHABLE THIRST FOR PISS. FUK U AMERIKKKA!!

Microplastics posted:

Moneysavingexpert has some good pages on car insurance in general, always worth checking those out.

Just a warning on this. One of their tips is that different job titles can result in lower premiums.
However, if you keep putting in different quotes changing your job title, it can result in some companies refusing to quote you at all, as they don't like people trying to game the system.
YMMV, but it's something I've seen people complain about in car forums

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
My job title is Extremely Safe Car Driving Technician

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Wachter posted:

"Sir Keith, do you think the women tried by drowning should have their convictions posthumously overturned?"

"I think they should be looked at again"

The double dip, one might say.

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

Mega Comrade posted:

owned by israeli businessman abraham ungar, the guy who gets mossad to deal with his business rivals in exchange for donations

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Microplastics posted:

My job title is Extremely Safe Car Driving Technician

You laugh but my dad's rates dropped when he became a road safety officer.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Does anyone have a "Freeview 101" link? I'm trying to get my head around the changes coming up - most of the oldsters here watch Freeview tv (we can only get 6 freeview channels but never mind) via an aerial on the roof and I'm trying to figure out whether aerial Freeview will remain available for the next few years otherwise I am going to be inundated with "my tv isn't working" complaints if it switches off in the summer let alone the fact that access to the aerial controller is in the ceiling of a flat that is (a) for sale (b) vacant (c) current owners uncontactable.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Does anyone have a "Freeview 101" link?
It doesn't seem like it is going anywhere, the only thing they suggest is wideband aerials are better than old yagi antennas, and that internet services are getting more popular.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Wait no I support the Houthis now https://twitter.com/StockMKTNewz/status/1745542667440713840

Fumble
Sep 4, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 16 days!

Angrymog posted:

Imo a 2000lb bomb treat women worse than hamas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

How do you like these disruptions Elon, you mug