Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: PoundSand)

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?
https://twitter.com/TRyanGregory/status/1745427723818807376

Sorry mate, too late. The UK is gonna run with Juno :shrug:

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/health/covid-new-variant-jn-1-symptoms-b2476910.html posted:

Covid JN.1: Everything we know about the new Juno variant
JN.1, nicknamed ‘Juno’, may now account for 70 percent of UK Covid cases

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pink Mist
Sep 28, 2021
the new covid variant must kill 20 million people before it receives a nickname

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Pink Mist posted:

the new covid variant must kill 20 million people before it receives a nickname

gotta get a high score before you can put your name in at the end

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

RandomBlue posted:

gotta get a high score before you can put your name in at the end

Hearing big things about the new covid variant called SEX

maxwellhill
Jan 5, 2022
Alpha, Delta, Omicron, rear end

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
Much like me bowling, covid is POO and rear end

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Jesus. I just saw the bullshit "call it endemic and then people will think its nbd" thing at work in real life. Posted a little "wear a mask" meme that was a little jokey and some guy was like COVID IS ENDEMIC SO ITS FINE and like 3 people spent the time correcting them that: no endemic doesnt mean something is fine to catch. Its means that its embedded in that region. That person thinks they're well educated on covid because the read some NHS article saying it was endemic.

God drat our governments have failed the gently caress out of everyone. I cant be mad at him. He seriously thinks that everything is ok because his government.

Goddamn Particle
Oct 10, 2013

Fan of Britches
It's called ENDemic because it's ended, duh

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Goddamn Particle posted:

literally why that messaging was adopted and what people think

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
I always take the nuclear option of stating the Rabies is endemic to North America. It doesn't make it fine.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

"I am the First, Pirola Clan."

Phlag
Nov 2, 2000

We make a special trip just for you, same low price.

DominoKitten posted:

I think they do try to calibrate it some against pepper mild mottle virus.
And then to get to case numbers, the armchair epidemiologists on Twitter like Mike Hoerger and JP Weiland go a step further to estimate infections. Hoerger specifically looked at IHME COVID case estimates from 2022-2023 (which were pretty robust, but they stopped doing them in early 2023), compared them to the BioBot wastewater levels from the same time period, and said, "ok, historically on average a COVID wastewater concentration of value X translated to Y cases, and let's assume that single ratio holds until the end of time." I think JP Weiland's methodology is even more vague and hand-wavey.

So the "case numbers" that get shared on Twitter are estimates of estimates of estimates of estimates. But in the absence of better data from our governments, it's the best we've got.

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

Goddamn Particle posted:

That's why it's integral to heard immunity.

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

Pingui posted:

Too esoteric for me to understand the details here beyond the abstract, but sounds odd and bad.
"Long COVID manifests with T cell dysregulation, inflammation and an uncoordinated adaptive immune response to SARS-CoV-2"

News article out on the results:

https://medicalxpress.com/news/2024-01-patients-covid-immune-cells-dont.html posted:

Study: In patients with long COVID, immune cells don't follow the rules
(..)
The team analyzed immune cells and hundreds of different immune molecules in the blood of 43 people with and without long COVID. They delved particularly deep into the characteristics of each person's T cells—immune cells that help fight viral infections but can also trigger chronic inflammatory diseases.

Their findings, which appear in Nature Immunology, support the hypothesis that long COVID may involve a low-level viral persistence. The study also reveals a mismatch between the activity of T cells and other components of the immune system in people with long-term COVID-19.
(..)
A pristine group to study
(..)
"This is a very heterogeneous condition," Roan says. "There's a diverse mix of long COVID cases, making it difficult to work out what's happening. That's why it was so important to eliminate some of this variability. We analyzed and compared a set of pristine samples not complicated by the effects of vaccination or re-infection, which can affect T-cell and other immune responses."
(..)
The study follows a cohort of people who were infected once with COVID in 2020 [ed. I assume, the text says "202"] and who weren't vaccinated or reinfected during the next eight months. Those who consistently had symptoms during the entire study period were classified as having long-term, COVID, while those who had no symptoms following their initial infection were classified as the control group.
(..)
Several key markers of long COVID
While the overall number of T cells and the number of T cells that react specifically with the SARS-CoV-2 virus were similar between people with long COVID and those that recovered without lingering symptoms, the researchers pinpointed several significant differences. Notably, a subset of T cells known as CD4 T cells, which are responsible for the overall coordination of immune responses, were in a more inflammatory state in people with long COVID.

"Not every person with long COVID had these pro-inflammatory cells, but we only saw them in the long COVID group," says Kailin Yin, Ph.D., postdoctoral fellow in the Roan lab and co-first author of the study. "It underscores the idea that there isn't just one uniform thing that characterizes all individuals with long COVID."

In a different subset of T cells known as CD8 T cells, which normally kill cells that are infected by viruses or bacteria, the researchers observed signs of exhaustion preferentially in people with long COVID. These signs, interestingly, were observed only in T cells that recognize the SARS-CoV-2 virus, not in the broader population of CD8 T cells.

"Such exhaustion is typically seen in chronic viral infections such as HIV, and means the T cell branch of the immune system stops responding to a virus and no longer kills infected cells," says Peluso, assistant professor in the UCSF Department of Medicine and co-first author. "This finding fits with some hypotheses that long COVID, or at least some cases of it, are caused by persistent infections by the SARS-CoV-2 virus."

The team also found an unusually high number of "tissue-homing" T cells, which are T cells that are prone to migrating to tissues throughout the body. This was observed not only by CyTOF but also by two other technologies, including one that monitors individual cells for thousands of different proteins they're capable of producing.

"This was really interesting because in other studies we're carrying out in mice, we also see high levels of tissue-homing receptors being associated with behavioral changes after recovery from SARS-CoV-2 infection," Roan says. "In this current study, we don't look at specific tissues, but our results indirectly suggest that in long COVID, something is happening within tissues, recruiting T cells to migrate there."

Finally, the researchers showed that in people with long-term COVID-19, levels of antibodies against SARS-CoV-2 are unusually high, and they don't synchronize as they usually do with levels of T cells that fight the virus.

"This finding points to the notion that during long COVID, you have a breakdown in coordination between different arms of the immune system," says Henrich, a UCSF Department of Medicine professor.
(..)

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

Gunshow Poophole posted:

Much like me bowling, covid is POO and rear end

Big fat biobank study, demonstrating that all COVID variants are POO and/or rear end.
"Risks of digestive diseases in long COVID: evidence from a population-based cohort study"

https://bmcmedicine.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/s12916-023-03236-4 posted:

Abstract
Background
In the post-pandemic era, a wide range of COVID-19 sequelae is of growing health concern. However, the risks of digestive diseases in long COVID have not been comprehensively understood. To investigate the long-term risk of digestive diseases among COVID patients.

Methods
In this large-scale retrospective cohort study with up to 2.6 years follow-up (median follow-up: 0.7 years), the COVID-19 group (n = 112,311), the contemporary comparison group (n = 359,671) and the historical comparison group (n = 370,979) predated the COVID-19 outbreak were built using UK Biobank database. Each digestive outcome was defined as the diagnosis 30 days or more after the onset of COVID-19 infection or the index date. Hazard ratios (HRs) and corresponding 95% confidence intervals (CI) were computed utilizing the Cox regression models after inverse probability weighting.

Results
Compared with the contemporary comparison group, patients with previous COVID-19 infection had higher risks of digestive diseases, including gastrointestinal (GI) dysfunction (HR 1.38 (95% CI 1.26 to 1.51)); peptic ulcer disease (HR 1.23 (1.00 to 1.52)); gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD) (HR 1.41 (1.30 to 1.53)); gallbladder disease (HR 1.21 (1.06 to 1.38)); severe liver disease (HR 1.35 (1.03 to 1.76)); non-alcoholic liver disease (HR 1.27 (1.09 to 1.47)); and pancreatic disease (HR 1.36 (1.11 to 1.66)). The risks of GERD were increased stepwise with the severity of the acute phase of COVID-19 infection. Even after 1-year follow-up, GERD (HR 1.64 (1.30 to 2.07)) and GI dysfunction (HR 1.35 (1.04 to 1.75)) continued to pose risks to COVID-19 patients. Compared to those with one SARS-CoV-2 infection, reinfected patients were at a higher risk of pancreatic diseases (HR 2.57 (1.23 to 5.38)). The results were consistent when the historical cohort was used as the comparison group.

Conclusions
Our study provides insights into the association between COVID-19 and the long-term risk of digestive system disorders. COVID-19 patients are at a higher risk of developing digestive diseases. The risks exhibited a stepwise escalation with the severity of COVID-19, were noted in cases of reinfection, and persisted even after 1-year follow-up. This highlights the need to understand the varying risks of digestive outcomes in COVID-19 patients over time, particularly those who experienced reinfection, and develop appropriate follow-up strategies.

Note in particular the reinfected cohort having an HR 2.57 of pancreatic diseases, compared to the single infection cohort.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

silicone thrills posted:

God drat our governments have failed the gently caress out of everyone.

i disagree. they had a bit of trouble when the pandemic started, but otherwise they've been very attentive to the needs of the ruling class

also it's time we start moving past this hysterical "rabies-phobia". this isn't the 1900s anymore; first of all it's no big deal as long as you get treated before symptoms appear, and second there have been multiple confirmed cases of people surviving the acute stage of the disease. stop living in fear and go touch some bats

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

i disagree. they had a bit of trouble when the pandemic started, but otherwise they've been very attentive to the needs of the ruling class

also it's time we start moving past this hysterical "rabies-phobia". this isn't the 1900s anymore; first of all it's no big deal as long as you get treated before symptoms appear, and second there have been multiple confirmed cases of people surviving the acute stage of the disease. stop living in fear and go touch some bats

Gonna go play with some raccoons and wild woods dogs and see if i can get my rabies immunity up

lol remember like 2 years ago when a really hosed up obviously sick fox was running around the US capitol and bit and gave rabies to some congressional folks?
https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/congress/fox-attacked-congressman-others-capitol-rabies-officials-say-rcna23324

Steely Dad
Jul 29, 2006

Pingui posted:

Note in particular the reinfected cohort having an HR 2.57 of pancreatic diseases, compared to the single infection cohort.

I'm a schmoe. What does HR mean in this context?

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Steely Dad posted:

I'm a schmoe. What does HR mean in this context?

Hazard Ratio. Essentially a number of times more likely to occur

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

silicone thrills posted:

Gonna go play with some raccoons and wild woods dogs and see if i can get my rabies immunity up

lol remember like 2 years ago when a really hosed up obviously sick fox was running around the US capitol and bit and gave rabies to some congressional folks?
https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/congress/fox-attacked-congressman-others-capitol-rabies-officials-say-rcna23324

i actually did remember that, and i'm still disappointed we didn't see packs of rabid staffers and lobbyists foaming at the mouth and chomping at everything in sight

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde
Didn't see this posted.

https://twitter.com/breakfastnick/status/1745053580287983863

shazbot
Sep 20, 2004
Ah, hon, ya got arby's all over my acoustic wave machine.

could ivermectin actually have a result if it causes you to shed the lining of your intestines?

serious question not trolling

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Pingui posted:

News article out on the results:

seems like they've acquired some kind of immune deficiency

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

shazbot posted:

could ivermectin actually have a result if it causes you to shed the lining of your intestines?

no

Baddog
May 12, 2001

shazbot posted:

It helps if you have worms with your covid

https://archive.is/cWJcb

Soap Scum
Aug 8, 2003

quote:

Philadelphia measles outbreak has hospitals on alert after child was sent to day care despite quarantine instructions
Eight people have been diagnosed since last month. None was immune to measles — meaning they either never got vaccinated or contracted measles before.

https://www.nbcnews.com/health/health-news/philadelphia-measles-outbreak-hospital-day-care-rcna133269

lol

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Respirator Crew when public health figures start calling it Airborne AIDS

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Novavax’s be choosy ad campaign owns bones.

Sorry, liberals, but I’m with Fido.

https://twitter.com/KEBrightbill/status/1739641944404299809

Fansy
Feb 26, 2013

I GAVE LOWTAX COOKIE MONEY TO CHANGE YOUR STUPID AVATAR GO FUCK YOURSELF DUDE
Grimey Drawer
protein-based is a good thing to emphasize for their target market

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own
Sinovac is discontinuing production of their version of the vaccines due to "low market demand".

lol

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

RandomBlue posted:

well at least there's no deaths

Here's a graph! Covid deaths in Australia have become massively decoupled from hospitalizations! *

https://nitter.net/dbRaevn/status/1745665197950538155#m

* .... thanks to the large lag in death certificate reporting plus the departments not updating the data over the Christmas break. That graph should end up looking significantly different in a few weeks

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

shazbot posted:

In the sense where flaying off your skin will have a result insofar as blood poisoning is concerned, sure.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Okuteru posted:

Sinovac is discontinuing production of their version of the vaccines due to "low market demand".

lol

Did they ever update it?

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

(..)
* .... thanks to the large lag in death certificate reporting plus the departments not updating the data over the Christmas break. That graph should end up looking significantly different in a few weeks

The (many) breathless articles talking about decoupling during the current wave, have been low-key driving me insane. It was a particular treat to see the bullshit WHO number being promoted widely and my ire may have seeped through yesterday.

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

Lmao

https://twitter.com/royalhospital/status/1745375131860353366

You stupid motherfuckers!

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

perfection

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

the believing the science levels are off the charts

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?
"Effects of scheduled school breaks on the circulation of influenza in children, school-aged population and adults in China: a spatio-temporal analysis"

https://www.ijidonline.com/article/S1201-9712(24)00005-5/fulltext posted:

Highlights
• A spatial-temporal analysis on mitigation effect of school break on influenza
School break substantially reduces influenza in school-aged population
School break have a lagged and smaller effect in young children and adults
• The age-specific pattern is likely to hold for other airborne infectious diseases
• Geographical variation in the impact of school break was observed

Abstract
Objectives
To investigate the effect of scheduled school break on circulation of influenza in young children, school-aged population and adults.

Methods
In a spatial-temporal analysis using influenza activity, school break dates, and meteorological covariates across mainland China during 2015-2018, we estimated age-specific, province-specific and overall relative risk (RR) and effectiveness of school break on influenza.

Results
We included data in 24, 25 and 17 provinces for individuals aged 0-4y, 5-19y and 20y+. We estimated a relative risk (RR) meta-estimate of 0.34 (95% CI 0.29-0.40) and an effectiveness of 66% for school break among the 5-19y. School break showed a lagged and smaller mitigation effect among the 0-4y (RR meta-estimate: 0.73, 0.68-0.79) and 20y+ (RR meta-estimate: 0.89, 0.78-1.01) versus the 5-19y.

Conclusions
The results show heterogeneous effects of school break between population subgroups, a pattern likely to hold for other respiratory infectious diseases. Our study highlights the importance of anticipating age-specific effects of implementing school closure interventions, and provides evidence for rational use of school closure interventions in future epidemics.

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own

genericnick posted:

Did they ever update it?

They did, for the XBB variant.

No clue about how many took it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

This is like inviting everyone to go play with fireworks in national forests because the wind is forecast to be slightly less bad tomorrow, even as wildfires continue to take several hundred lives each day.