Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I've heard COD Mobile lets you buy any previous battle pass and just play it out as normal. Doesn't sound like the worst thing in the world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

Smite did a thing like last year where instead of regular skins you got a chest that let you redeem from a pool of skins from previous battle passes and each chest was a different season, so you could pick the specific skin you wanted while not COMPLETELY bringing everything back, either. it let you control what you got

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Mix. posted:

Smite did a thing like last year where instead of regular skins you got a chest that let you redeem from a pool of skins from previous battle passes and each chest was a different season, so you could pick the specific skin you wanted while not COMPLETELY bringing everything back, either. it let you control what you got

No chests. No boxes.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Mr Hootington posted:

There have been videos and discussions from epic partner fortnite content creators about bringing back old battlepasses or old battlepass skins. I think the appetite is being tested for it.

I'm very upset that I missed meowsicles

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

shame on an IGA posted:

I'm very upset that I missed meowsicles

Same. Midas too.

Mr Hootington fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Jan 12, 2024

Amphigory
Feb 6, 2005

If they do anything like what y'all are suggesting it's going to piss off so many people

I think they'll test the water with an "unvaulted" mini battle pass or something- 3 desirable, but not holy grail skins and a bunch of other previous battles pass only cosmetics, all in a mid season mini battle pass

Then they'll gauge the response and blowback

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I think if the influencers are on board with it or don't care then the broader audience will be swayed to be kn board or not care.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Mr Hootington posted:

I think if the influencers are on board with it or don't care then the broader audience will be swayed to be kn board or not care.

And honestly most people probably want them as well.

Emo Szyslak
Feb 25, 2006

I can see why people would get upset, however gimme gimme gimme

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Amphigory posted:

If they do anything like what y'all are suggesting it's going to piss off so many people

I think they'll test the water with an "unvaulted" mini battle pass or something- 3 desirable, but not holy grail skins and a bunch of other previous battles pass only cosmetics, all in a mid season mini battle pass

Then they'll gauge the response and blowback

Right, but it's a numbers game. It also becomes a matter of how many of those pissed off people stop spending money -and still were thowing money at the game- or if they project some number of people buying packs and BL levels out of FOMO stop.
I'd have to imagine very few of the people really proud of their Black Knight or fake-Wick have been tossing cash at Epic the whole time.
Especially since finishing the BP gives you enough free v-bucks to buy the next.

Really I think their bigger concern would be people impulse buying levels or battle bundles stopping since they figure they can catch stuff they want later.

Coolness Averted fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Jan 12, 2024

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I don't understand how damage works in this game sometimes. I'll be shooting at somebody with like Valeria's SMG and not doing any damage to them it feels like but they'll down me in two shots from a green pump shotgun. It's probably me doing something wrong, obviously, but I just wanted to Complain on the Internet once.

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

Mr Hootington posted:

No chests. No boxes.

oh yeah the chest thing is specifically a smite thing, but i could just as easily see it be some kind of thing where you pre-select what fills that slot. theyve done weird BP stuff in the pass like the spy season where you picked a side and it blocked out the side you didn't pick, etc

Fancy Hat!
Dec 5, 2003

In spite of how he's dressed, he ain't nobody's fool.

Coolness Averted posted:

Wayfinder is starting something like that, but hasn't released their s2 yet, though tbf the game is in Early access and at this point I'll be surprised if it actually launches and stays going for a full year.

Honestly I feel this for literally any live service game that isn't already established.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

https://twitter.com/iFireMonkey/status/1745651008049414512?t=2QF_-mF6lQovIoiCbrVI5w&s=19

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I assumed it would be because fat Peter griffins body would be way outside normal hitboxes, since all Fortnite characters are approximately the same size give or take.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Beve Stuscemi posted:

I assumed it would be because fat Peter griffins body would be way outside normal hitboxes, since all Fortnite characters are approximately the same size give or take.

I feel like he's no more fat than Gruff.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

got a 10 elim victory and had a great time getting into ballistic shield duels with the final 8 people only to whip out the whip blade thing and chop them up

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Got two crown royals in a row. First one was me grabbing a crown. 6 kills, holding all 5 coins. Second one, got all five coins again, won with 10 kills. Last kill was at a distance. Had the mythic shotgun, but last guy was a good sniper. Drop a gun, grab a guys sniper I just killed, one shot, one kill.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Following the article referenced here to the research firm.

That is a lot of playing.

Emo Szyslak
Feb 25, 2006

LionArcher posted:

Got two crown royals in a row. First one was me grabbing a crown. 6 kills, holding all 5 coins. Second one, got all five coins again, won with 10 kills. Last kill was at a distance. Had the mythic shotgun, but last guy was a good sniper. Drop a gun, grab a guys sniper I just killed, one shot, one kill.

yessss i love these

my best game all season was stealing all medallions, stealing a crown, going on a murder spree. valeria is now among my lucky skins

Apple Craft
Mar 8, 2012
Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray :cry: Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray
Solo Hide in the Bushes Tournament is live right now. Pretty easy to get the free glider, too.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

have there been ranked tourneys this easy with a prize before

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Since the beginning of time, man has yearned to destroy the sun.

I've barely touched Battle Royale since Lego and Festival came out but :getin:

I'm terrible at this game but with Lock-On Pistol I was briefly a god

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗
Well hopefully the current reward loops between practically giving participation trophies for tournaments, speed of the BP, and generous 'just do whatever but be logged into our game' style sticks and isn't just something they did to juice numbers this quarter.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

hmm i ranked out of silver after a good round where i got a forecast tower and loot island but i cant check my placement because it just shows me the Gold tournament now, how do you look at the lower ranks

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

What do they mean exactly by the Week 5 quest 'use a door?'

Apple Craft
Mar 8, 2012
Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray :cry: Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray

Dawgstar posted:

What do they mean exactly by the Week 5 quest 'use a door?'

In 5 different matches, open a door.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-QbrYHuMWlo

Super No Vacancy posted:

hmm i ranked out of silver after a good round where i got a forecast tower and loot island but i cant check my placement because it just shows me the Gold tournament now, how do you look at the lower ranks

I'm probably an idiot, make sure you are playing in the tournament mode and not just normal ranked.

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Nobody wants to die except the suicides. They're no fun.

Super No Vacancy posted:

have there been ranked tourneys this easy with a prize before

i installed it on my ps4 a while back for a playstation cup that gave the starmapping wrap at 8 points, which more or less was just hiding in a bush for a few rounds

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Weird. I was doing that but they never got counted.

Apple Craft
Mar 8, 2012

Sure, I did some XP maps in the beginning of the season until I realized they weren't needed. Otherwise, this is all from official modes. The really cool thing is that I still suck at the game, so I'm like a walking confidence boost for any player that kills me.

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003
Like an evil horny Santa Claus.

I've been experimenting with fortnite festival. I rigged up some rock band drums, but because of the way it splits the left and right they just didn't feel right. And I don't see guitars feeling much better. So I've decided to design my own controller. Here's the first prototype. A fight box layout might work perfect for this, because I thought I'd be slapping the buttons. But I end up just spreading my fingers out over them anyway. I have some 60 mm buttons coming tomorrow and maybe with the bigger buttons I'll be more slappy. I'm going to try moving the outside buttons up a little bit for comfort and adding a bigger space in the middle. I'll eventually add a foot pedal for the overdrive.

I'm doing worse but having more fun than with any of the other random controllers I've experimented with.

RodShaft fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Jan 15, 2024

Apple Craft
Mar 8, 2012
That's loving awesome! And you are right about the guitars. I have a Red Octane SG from GH2 hooked up via an adaptor and it works fine, but with every note being a hammer-on (no strumming) it is still wonky and difficult to play the more intense parts.

So what are the internals? PiZero? Guitar controller guts? Actual fighter stick?

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003

Apple Craft posted:

That's loving awesome! And you are right about the guitars. I have a Red Octane SG from GH2 hooked up via an adaptor and it works fine, but with every note being a hammer-on (no strumming) it is still wonky and difficult to play the more intense parts.

So what are the internals? PiZero? Guitar controller guts? Actual fighter stick?

It's just a generic USB arcade controller PCB I had in my pile of arcade parts. I was running that through a wingman adapter to play on my Xbox, but it apparently got banned by Microsoft in the last update after surviving the November and December updates. I've ordered a mayflash adapter which supposedly still works. Once I have a layout I like I'll gut an Xbox controller or buy a cheap arcade stick to gut. It's just to easy to plug and unplug buttons from this PCB while I'm experimenting with layouts.

Im going to slide the outside buttons up a little and the top button down then add a bigger space between the left and right hand buttons next(so yeah, just a hitbox with bigger and less buttons). Also a 3.5mm Jack for a rockband pedal for overdrive because I always miss a note right after activating overdrive via button.

Edit: and something to hold the thing still. Its very slidy in the cardboard box

RodShaft fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Jan 16, 2024

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

New festive songs this week.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

New weekly quests look doable save for my own personal skill issues in a couple of cases. Is there an easy way to get the score riding a dirtbike?

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Dawgstar posted:

New weekly quests look doable save for my own personal skill issues in a couple of cases. Is there an easy way to get the score riding a dirtbike?
Ride up a big hill while holding down jump, release at the peak, then hold back while in the air and try to land on two wheels

Apple Craft
Mar 8, 2012

Cat Machine posted:

Ride up a big hill while holding down jump, release at the peak, then hold back while in the air and try to land on two wheels

Do this, but simply press shift (after the jump) while you fly through the air all the way until you land. You don't have to do any gymnastics but land. You can easily score 200k+ points in a single jump from a tall place, or 50-100k+ from your average hilltop.

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003

Crossposted in the Rock Band 4 thread(you can see the PCB I used in one of the photos. It's fine for what it is):

Fortnite Festival controller update. I made a second prototype that is pretty close to what I'm going to use.

I cut the corners off because they poked me. And I have a pretty good idea about my final button layout and case shape/size.

I did some experimenting, and the 60 mm buttons fit perfectly flush at one Lego stud depth. So I designed this.

Which even without tightening the bottom nut it's stays perfectly still. There's six points of contact on the top edge and three on the bottom. So I think I might just make mine out of Lego.

My son liked the first prototype a lot, so we made him one with a few minor changes to it, and it's perfect.

We didn't just have that sitting around. We went out specifically looking for something to make his case out of and found that.

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003

FESTIVAL CONTROLLER UPDATE!

I decided to go another direction with mine...

This took way too long(mostly because I wanted the buttons to light when pressed and the USB encoder uses a common +5v instead of a common ground and my brain wasn't working with that).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Learning the game as I am it's interesting to note that it seems, for the most part, much better to calmly return fire than bounce around. Who knew?